PDA

View Full Version : Paul Dana's fatal crash video

MagicMtnDan
03-30-2006, 06:06 AM
RIP Paul Dana (Homestead, FL crash) - he was driving 2nd car (http://videos.streetfire.net/hottestvideos/1/322FF460-98A4-4701-B48A-DEC76DC4E1BD.htm)

Racer277
03-30-2006, 06:47 AM
Saw that on WT on Sunday night.
Unfortunate. Just a racing thing.
All levels of the sport require buying in.

99 232 baja
03-30-2006, 06:56 AM
Don't those drivers have spotters ? What was this telling him? Sad.

doesitfloat?
03-30-2006, 07:16 AM
Don't those drivers have spotters ? What was this telling him? Sad.
There were yellow lights (on the track and in his car) and his crew was telling him about the caution...people are generally blaming his inexperience on not being able to "unfocus" on the race and pull back a little under the yellow caution. He hit at about 200 mph.

Liberator TJ1984
03-30-2006, 07:21 AM
Carpenter was Awful lucky ....he almost got " T Boned " and taken out too

dirty old man
03-30-2006, 08:18 AM
Rookie error, lucky he only killed himself

WaTchTheGelCoat
03-30-2006, 08:44 AM
Rookie error, lucky he only killed himself
That has to be the biggest load of horseshit I have ever heard. Lucky he only killed himself? WTF is wrong with you?

MagicMtnDan
03-30-2006, 08:49 AM
That has to be the biggest load of horseshit I have ever heard. Lucky he only killed himself? WTF is wrong with you?
Guess something's wrong with me too :cry: I thought the same thing :rolleyes: when I saw the video.

BowTie Rick
03-30-2006, 08:56 AM
The spotters told everyone to "go low" because Carpenter went up to the wall. He did that but did not brake, only lifted. That was the error which left him no time to react. He hit at 176 MPH slightly off center of the gear box which ripped his car in half underneath but it saved Carpenter. Heard that first hand from our peeps at the track. We go to most of the races since we make the spec air filter for them (and CHAMP car too).

WaTchTheGelCoat
03-30-2006, 09:01 AM
Guess something's wrong with me too :cry: I thought the same thing :rolleyes: when I saw the video.
Neither one of you obviously have ever drivin anything with any kind of horsepower. Coming out of a turn at 200+ things come up pretty fast. Word is he didnt even have time to lift. I sure he had a spotter and it looked as if the car that crashed was going to stay on the top of the race track and moved down. Have a little compasion and dont be such a dick. Thats somebodys, son, brother, grandson, nephew, ect, ect, ect.

dirty old man
03-30-2006, 09:09 AM
Gelcoat, the news reported he had many (as many as seven) seconds warning and yellows all over the place including his DASH. Also reported that after he lifted there was only a .7 second slow down. Sure, I'm sorry a racer died, my comment meant that at least he didn't take anyone else due to his inexperience.
And yes, I've had some horsepower under me. Only had one wreck in front of me while boat racing, but fortunately I avoided running over anyone. There were no walls to bounce off, no brakes, little debris and a wide track

HocusPocus
03-30-2006, 09:10 AM
when you sit in the comfort of your own house.. and watch the video over and over.. its easy to make a judgements of what someone, should have, could have, might have, or didn't do. its a whole different story when your the guy sitting behind the wheel when all hell breaks loose.

boatsnblondes
03-30-2006, 11:59 AM
My idea of a race......
http://videos.streetfire.net/hottestvideos/1/3D2DE2BE-74D5-4885-8C64-15AFFC25839C.htm

MagicMtnDan
03-30-2006, 12:07 PM
Neither one of you obviously have ever drivin anything with any kind of horsepower. Coming out of a turn at 200+ things come up pretty fast. Word is he didnt even have time to lift. I sure he had a spotter and it looked as if the car that crashed was going to stay on the top of the race track and moved down. Have a little compasion and dont be such a dick. Thats somebodys, son, brother, grandson, nephew, ect, ect, ect.
Gimme a break - this isn't about compassion - I feel terrible for his family and am sorry that he died. But he died doing something he loved and he almost killed another driver (didn't say he made a mistake). All I'm saying is that it's good that only one person died.
OK, now about the crash - he had about 7 seconds to respond to the Carpenter crash. He had a spotter telling him about the crash and the yellow. He had yellow lights on his steering wheel telling him about the yellow. There were yellow lights on the track. It was a terrible, unfortunate crash that cost him his life. But when all is said and done the ONLY one who can be blamed (if anyone can) is him.
RIP

pixilatedpussy
03-30-2006, 12:13 PM
RIP Paul Dana (Homestead, FL crash) - he was driving 2nd car (http://videos.streetfire.net/hottestvideos/1/322FF460-98A4-4701-B48A-DEC76DC4E1BD.htm)
Sooooo sad! WTF took so long to get him the message that there was a car down in front?

FLEA DIDDY
03-30-2006, 12:17 PM
I can see where things could go wrong really quick for any driver in a indy car. When your driving 200+ your locked in and focused. I raced Mx for 15yrs and there are times I would pull off the track after a moto and my wife would ask me if I seen "John Doe" go down? I would tell her no, what happened . Your locked in and focused on the task at hand, bottom line.Your body follows your eyes where your lookin is where your gonna go. It's sad and I wish his Family the best.
I seen the vid acouple days ago and it's pretty harsh to say the least.

WaTchTheGelCoat
03-30-2006, 12:40 PM
Gimme a break - this isn't about compassion - I feel terrible for his family and am sorry that he died. But he died doing something he loved and he almost killed another driver (didn't say he made a mistake). All I'm saying is that it's good that only one person died.
OK, now about the crash - he had about 7 seconds to respond to the Carpenter crash. He had a spotter telling him about the crash and the yellow. He had yellow lights on his steering wheel telling him about the yellow. There were yellow lights on the track. It was a terrible, unfortunate crash that cost him his life. But when all is said and done the ONLY one who can be blamed (if anyone can) is him.
RIP
You have absolutly no idea what its like to be behind the wheel of a racecar, personally I have never driven a formula car, however I am involved in open wheel racing on a daily basis. His spotter told him to go low, like I said it doesnt look like he lifted at all, which is totally normal when your spotter tells you to do something and that the track is clear.
I can argue with you about this all day, but I wont. You are right and I am wrong.

MagicMtnDan
03-30-2006, 04:36 PM
Nope, I'm not a racer. Nope, I don't have open wheel race car experience. But I do have compassion and an opinion and it seems that what upsets you is that my opinion is different than yours.
Don't shoot the messenger. If anyone is to blame for his death, I said I would guess that it was him. I also am sorry to hear/see that he died.
Feel better yet? Now you can go after those you don't agree with in all the other threads. :D

EXTRMBT
03-30-2006, 05:57 PM
Enough of all the BS of who lifted and who didn't. :mad: The result is that somebody lost his life. Bottom line.......
If you watch the crash in depth nobody lifted except for the cars after Dana. Everybody was balls to the wall! He was just the unfortunate one that didn't miss........ There was a car on the high side of him, probably causing him to stay the line he did.
Would this have been posted the same if it had been, maybe Scott Sharp that was killed??????????????????
God Speed Paul Dana

MikeF
03-30-2006, 06:32 PM
With all the cameras and telemetry on cars today there is sure to be some incar footage of the crash and readings from the sensors that can best tell the story.