PDA

View Full Version : Newbie w/ a question

slink
03-25-2004, 01:43 PM
Hello everyone, Been standing on the shore for awhile and decided to jump in the water.
From what I've been reading, it seems like there are alot of knowledgeable boaters out there, so I thought I might pose a question and get some advise before I make my final decision.
I've spent the last 15 years in a 21' Hocking (know Howard's mold). The Boss has given permission to step up to a 24' or 25' to help out w/ the growing family, on two conditions. It can't go over 75 mph (2yr old daughter) or over $60K. I've been looking at the 24'Aftershock Tremor w/496 HO and a 25' Shockwave Tremor w/ 496 (HO puts me over budget :( ) What do you guys think. I've read alot about the Shockwave but not too much about the Afterschock. P.S I spend most of my time on the strip w/ occassional trips to the lake. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Jeff

noise pollution
03-25-2004, 01:55 PM
.k...lets get somthing straight..I.M the king newbie around here,
and I have a few questions,
1. have you ever had male sex???
2. do you have a bran muffin fixation
3. have you ever had male sex while eating a bran muffin
4.are you lying??
5.have you driven a Ford ....lately

jackpunx
03-25-2004, 02:10 PM
Do you want new or used?

rivercrazy
03-25-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
Well if you like the 25' Shockwave I'd personally buy Barry's boat. He's selling it cheap right now, and it was built for him, being that he's part of the company you can assume that all the little things are done over the top. ;)
Click this link here, and call Shockwave ask for Barry. :) That boat with all the options I think was over 70 grand?
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/4/6/67200646.htm
RD
What he said! That is one hell of a good deal on an over the top boat!

rivercrazy
03-25-2004, 02:28 PM
If you want some feedback on the Shockwave 25, PM me. I have one with the 496HO and couldn't be happier!

MsDrmr
03-25-2004, 02:34 PM
HEY is'nt there a rule against the newbies asking the pros questions anyway? :D :wink:

TrojanDan
03-25-2004, 02:40 PM
Definitely buy used if possible. You won't have to deal with the wait plus the headache of coming up with a gel scheme. We bought our boat when it was about 6 months old and saved a grip of $$$.
The 25 Shockwave is a very nice boat.
:cool:

RUCAV
03-25-2004, 03:30 PM
Might want to consider Ultra. They're 247 XS and 24 Stealth with the 496 Mag are gith there speedwise and money wise. I spent a total of about 9 months looking for my boat. I looked at both the shockwave and aftershock. Jeff from Aftershock is very cool and easy do deal with. I just liked what the folks on HB said about Ultra and after dealing with them, they are a good group of people. John West does do some sick designs and great gel coat.
Also, they have locations in Norco, OC and San Diego. Give em a shot. Good luck. Anything you buy now you'll be picking up in mid summer I bet.

MRS FLYIN VEE
03-25-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by noise pollution
4.are you lying??
I take it these are the questions you anwered yes to most when you became someones new member.:D :D :D

HighRoller
03-25-2004, 04:08 PM
I would agree that you'll get the most bang for your buck buying a used Ultra. Shockwave and the other builders make nice boats, but they still can't compare to Ultra in the styling department.(IMO) There's quite a few 247XS Ultras on the Boat Trader website right now, and even a 23 XS. You also can't beat Ultra's resale value.

Cheap Thrills
03-25-2004, 04:12 PM
4.are you lying??
Thats just wrong man ! Funny though :D
C.T. :wink:

jbtrailerjim
03-25-2004, 05:19 PM
I'd definitely go take a look at Ultra. There in your price range. I'm very happy with mine and I know there are a lot of other happy Ultra owners on the boards.

FRENCHIE
03-25-2004, 06:31 PM
25' shockwave tremor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ask for barry cant go wrong, might be a few bucks higher than your deal, but well worth it... barry, barry , barry 909-898-9360

DryHeatOnly
03-25-2004, 06:55 PM
Slink - Are you looking to go new or used? If 'used', you gotta talk to Barry about his. If you like more freeboard and a usable mid cabin take a close look at the 25 Tremor. Barry's been sellin' a lotta new ones, so he must be makin' some good deals (mine's being built right now :wink: ).
The Ultras are beauties as well. They have less freeboard than the SW but I'd bet the midcabin would work well for the wife and kiddy.
I can't comment on the Aftershock as I didn't really check 'em out too close.
Good luck.
(Do the 496HO if you can).

dicudmore
03-25-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by HighRoller
I would agree that you'll get the most bang for your buck buying a used Ultra. Shockwave and the other builders make nice boats, but they still can't compare to Ultra in the styling department.(IMO) There's quite a few 247XS Ultras on the Boat Trader website right now, and even a 23 XS. You also can't beat Ultra's resale value.
Don't know much about the Aftershock. Seen them on the water, never seen one sink, prob ok. Shockwave, nice boat, good people. Isn't Aftershock a Shockwave spinoff, former employees/partners something like that???
Ultra....Why are there so many Ultra's 1-3 years old for sale, ANYTIME you read the trader or online? Everybody love their new Ultra so much they can't wait to get rid of it or what???

rivercrazy
03-25-2004, 07:18 PM
I looked hard at the 247 for a while (former DCB 24 Extreme). It really is one very nice boat but is really a 23 foot boat or so. The 25 Shockwave is a much larger boat.
Aftershock is not a spin off of Shockwave. Shockwave has been around a lot longer. They don't share any of the same boat molds.

AleAlchemist
03-25-2004, 07:35 PM
The most important thing to do is shop around.
Dont just look at one shop and decide.
Never sign without comparing.
I work at Genesis Boats (http://www.genesisboats.com) and I love the 251. Its a real popular model for us and the size is perfect, (not small, and not Huge).
We're just in fontana, come check us out. Tell them that Arturo sent you, Im sure they can make you a deal.
PM me if you have Qs.
Heres the web site again! (http://www.genesisboat.com)

redneckgirl
03-25-2004, 07:50 PM
I don't have any experience with the Shockwave Tremor other than being in Barry's boat. If you would consider used Barry's boat would be a great buy!!!! It is very clean!!! If new I would still pick the Tremor, there are alot of happy Shockwave owners out there... Including us... we have the baby boat, the 21' Step Skier, and couldn't be happier... It is everything we were promised and more... Good luck on your decision... ;) :D :D
RNG

RUCAV
03-26-2004, 08:58 AM
Jeff from Aftershock told me one of the owners there used to be a partner in Shockwave. Things got sticky (Court and Lawyers sticky) so he started his own company.
As for alot of Ultra's being on the market, look at their size. I bet 23' and under are being sold to buy a bigger boat. No matter how good a builder is, your still gonna get beat up on Havazoo in a small boat when it gets rough.
:eek!:
Good luck!
"Everything goes better with River Juice"

HCS
03-26-2004, 09:09 AM
4.are you lying??