PDA

View Full Version : Mandatory Bow Railings?

LHC30Victory
03-26-2004, 06:54 AM
Is this an example of Darwinism or of "alcohol involved boating" ???
From the Lake Havasu Newspaper:
Washington woman hurt by boat prop
By Brian Wedemeyer
A woman was critically injured and another woman cited for operating under the influence after a boat accident Wednesday on Lake Havasu.
A family member who contacted TodayÂ’s News-Herald identified the woman as Kimberly Gonzales from Zillah, Wash. Gonzales was transported to Havasu Regional Medical Center and later airlifted to University Medical Center in Las Vegas, according to a press release issued by the Mohave County SheriffÂ’s Office.
A hospital spokesperson said that Gonzales was in critical condition in the trauma intensive care unit on Thursday afternoon.
Crystal Marie Vanillo, 20, of Goleta, Calif., was cited for operating under the influence (OUI) and OUI with a blood-alcohol concentration over .08. Both are misdemeanors.
According to the report, Gonzales and an unidentified man were sitting on the bow of the boat while it was moving near the buoy line in Thompson Bay about 5 p.m. Vanillo reportedly let off on the throttle, sending the two people overboard in front of the boatÂ’s path.
The extent of GonzalesÂ’s injuries was unknown, although a sheriffÂ’s spokeswoman confirmed she came in contact with the boatÂ’s propeller. The manÂ’s condition was also unknown.
Deputies smelled a strong odor of alcohol on Vanillo, the press release stated. Her blood-alcohol concentration was measured at .108.
An investigation is ongoing.

Kachina26
03-26-2004, 06:59 AM
I just came here to post that one. Unfortunate for the operator to be under the influence when something goes wrong, that's why I quit drinking on the water years ago. Sounds like the were at speed and let off at the no wake bouys. Who doesn't do that? Problem is the passengers were not likely aware of their surroundings (drunk also?). It's a sad story and not uncommon, hold on when you are riding in the bow.

MagicMtnDan
03-26-2004, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Kachina26
I just came here to post that one. Unfortunate for the operator to be under the influence when something goes wrong, that's why I quit drinking on the water years ago. Sounds like the were at speed and let off at the no wake bouys. Who doesn't do that? Problem is the passengers were not likely aware of their surroundings (drunk also?). It's a sad story and not uncommon, hold on when you are riding in the bow.
It sounds like they were sitting ON the bow not sitting IN the bow which, if true, makes it easier to understand why they fell into the water.

welk2party
03-26-2004, 08:06 AM
I see people riding unsafely ALL the time in Thompson Bay. Sad story. I agree pretty hard to fall if you are in the bow.

superdave013
03-26-2004, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Kachina26
Well the end result is the passengers problem but it's up to the driver (really the registered owner) to keep them safe.
Seems like this would be a felony OUI to me. That person ****ed up and should pay the price.

Havasu_Dreamin
03-26-2004, 08:14 AM
Yet another example of darwinism at work. Sorry, but I have no sympathy for those involved, riding on the bow of a boat, not in the open-bow, while underway is just STUPID!

superdave013
03-26-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin
Yet another example of darwinism at work. Sorry, but I have no sympathy for those involved, riding on the bow of a boat, not in the open-bow, while underway is just STUPID!
you know though, people who just go out to the lake as a tag alongs so to say have no idea that you can get hurt or what is dangrous and what's not.
People look at me like I'm some buzz kill when I tell them the boat's not moving until everyone is sitting down.
They just don't know and it's up to us to keep them safe.

mbrown2
03-26-2004, 08:19 AM
Spring Breakers at work:confused:

Havasu_Dreamin
03-26-2004, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by superdave013
you know though, people who just go out to the lake as a tag alongs so to say have no idea that you can get hurt or what is dangrous and what's not.
People look at me like I'm some buzz kill when I tell them the boat's not moving until everyone is sitting down.
They just don't know and it's up to us to keep them safe.
SD, you are absolutely correct! But you do the smart thing, make sure everyone is safe before proceeding. You make the rules on your boat, just like I make them on mine. People/guests that are not around boats all that much need to be reminded/told what they can and can't do not only for their own protection, but the owners protection.

WaterBox
03-26-2004, 09:34 AM
But then again it might have been one of them RENTAL deals where no-one knew what the hell they were doing.:rolleyes:

spectras only
03-26-2004, 09:53 AM
It is clearly the operators fault! The operator [or call it the captain] is responsible for everyone on board [as SD said ,most occasional riders are clueless] ,hence the push for licencing boat operators :rolleyes:

Kachina26
03-26-2004, 09:59 AM
If they were on the bow and not in it, then the operator is definately to blame. I must have misunderstood or read something into the article.

Mandelon
03-26-2004, 10:03 AM
I agree, the skipper should know better and keep the stupid passengers in line.
Should've had a jet......;)

BowTie Rick
03-26-2004, 10:04 AM
I have an open bow and no bow railings. I do have grap handles inside however. Even so, I simply do not allow anyone to ride up front while underway. The open bow is for lounging while stopped in my opinion.

NastyOne
03-26-2004, 10:07 AM
I see two problems here......
#1 Alcohol (sp) was involved.
#2 A girl was driving.
hehe

superdave013
03-26-2004, 10:13 AM
I still do not understand how this is only a misdemeanor.
It must be different in AZ. I know if you hurt someone in a car in CA and blow over a .08 you're in WAY big trouble.

summerlove
03-26-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin
As always HD, we agree! (except that political talk hehehe), but, for the rest of the story, they were riding on the front of a pontoon and the two up front fell between the sponsons when the operator backed off the throttle at the buoy line. Still stupid....