PDA

View Full Version : Help please...buying a new boat and have some questions

One Particular Harbor
03-29-2004, 10:37 AM
Was hoping to tap the collective wisdom of this board. I am in the process of buying a new (used) boat and things are progressing faster than planned. So, I need some help.
Can anyone provide some recommendations for the following:
1. A good indoor storage location in Southern California
2. Boat storage in Lake Havasu
3. A good place to purchase life vests, waterski equipment, and the basic boating safety items
By the way, I live in South Orange County and am purchasing a 25' Tremor, so I am estimating it is about 30' on the trailer.
Thanks, in advance, for your help.

roln 20s
03-29-2004, 10:41 AM
Are you buying Barry's 25 Shockwave?
I don't have any information on your questions, sorry, but someone definately will.
Roln 20s

rivercrazy
03-29-2004, 10:47 AM
I looked around for quite a while for convenient and reasonablly priced indoor SoCal storage. Never did find anything....
Plenty of choices out at the river though.
Overtons aint too bad for all the stuff you will be purchasing. But be prepared - that stuff adds up FAST! Try to get some of the larger fenders for your boat though. The Tremor has a lot of freeboard.
I have the 25 Tremor too and measures in right at about 27' 8" or so. But that is with the drive all the way down and cranked all the right or left. And they built my trailer so that when the swingaway hitch is collapsed, the trailer is dead even with the nose of the boat.
Congrats on the new Tremor!
:D

Havasu_Dreamin
03-29-2004, 10:47 AM
As for indoor storage in So. Cal I can't help you as my boat stays in Havasu.
There are a ton of storage places in Havasu, and all along the river, ut as the season is approaching it may get tough to find a place to store it. Tryhttp://www.campbellboats.com (Campbell Boats) or http://www.boatbays.com (Boat Bays) . Borh of those are in Havasu. I used Campbell for a few months and was impressed with their service, plus they are a Merc Factory authorized service center. Never used Boat Bays but KC, the owner, is a boater and a good guy. Chances are though he is full. There is a new storage facility North of LHC on the West Side of 95 by the MCSD sub-station. Not sure of the name but Loc-N-Leave comes to mind.

One Particular Harbor
03-29-2004, 10:49 AM
Knock on wood. We are working through the financing and other details right now, so I don't want to jinx it. But, yes, we are buying Barry's boat.
Great guy...took a lot of time out yesterday to take a test ride. Put up with me and my family, including our 3 small children.
Really nice boat and Barry is going out of his way to make sure it is "like new" when we take delivery.
Can't say enough nice things.

PHX ATC
03-29-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by One Particular Harbor
I don't think you can about Barry. He's da man!

roln 20s
03-29-2004, 11:25 AM
Thats a great buy- I knew that boat wouldn't be available long. Its beautiful! Great choice. Hope it all works out. Barry is definatley awesome, enjoy!
Roln 20s

Steamin' Rice
03-29-2004, 12:23 PM
Congratulations on your purchase.. That is a really sweet boat with lots of custom touches on it.

Mandelon
03-29-2004, 04:13 PM
We here would have to recommend REX marine....just don't wait for the catalog.
West Marine has lots of the little stuff like vests, flare guns, ropes and fenders at pretty good prices.
www.rexmar.com

EliminatedLavey
03-29-2004, 05:05 PM
Boat storage in Havasu is hard to come by right now- I called every single one in town (and in Parker) looking for 24 hour access storage and finally found a unit at Windsor Beach Storage. Good luck - you'll need it

Salty Cracker
03-29-2004, 08:14 PM
Congrats on the purchase, they don't come any better than Barry!!!

inthered
03-29-2004, 09:54 PM
:frown: It souds like everyone has had good luck with Barry and Shockwave. I had a deal worked out with him to buy that boat (well I thought). I was suppose to come for a test drive on Sunday and pick up the boat. I offered to bring him a deposit but he said not to worry since he knew the guy at the finance place and knew my financing would go through. Saturday night he leaves me a message saying that he sold it to someone else who cut him a check for more money. I don't know about you but thats not the way i do business. I hope no one comes in with more money before your financing goes through. Good Luck!

Jordy
03-30-2004, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by inthered
:frown: It souds like everyone has had good luck with Barry and Shockwave. I had a deal worked out with him to buy that boat (well I thought). I was suppose to come for a test drive on Sunday and pick up the boat. I offered to bring him a deposit but he said not to worry since he knew the guy at the finance place and knew my financing would go through. Saturday night he leaves me a message saying that he sold it to someone else who cut him a check for more money. I don't know about you but thats not the way i do business. I hope no one comes in with more money before your financing goes through. Good Luck!
Sounds like money talks and bullshit walks. If you were serious you should have taken a deposit down right away. Sounds like it's your own fault and you have nobody to blame but you. :rolleyes:

Essex502
03-30-2004, 07:05 AM
Boat storage in Havasu is always tight but get on the waiting lists now and be prepared to move when one becomes available - even if you pay double by not having you rental expired at another facility.
For typical accessories such as fenders, anchors, flares, vests, etc...either Overton's or West Marine work fine. As someone said...be prepared for a shock as it all adds up. Then you have to consider the cost of waxes and cleaners, annual service and all the other expenses - not to mention the cost of gas for the weekend. But...the smile on your face as your rocketing down the lake in your new boat (new to you) is priceless!
Good luck!

BoatFloating
03-30-2004, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
Sounds like money talks and bullshit walks. If you were serious you should have taken a deposit down right away. Sounds like it's your own fault and you have nobody to blame but you. :rolleyes:
Jordy, I know this guy that Barry screwed and it's bull crap on the way it happened. He looked at the boat and then left and him and his wife talked about it and decided to make a offer. They called Barry and offered $50K cash for it and Barry says ok. He asked, do you want to me to come back and give you a deposit and Barry says no thats fine just come back next weekend and bring the money and we are fine. So in the mean time he decided to finace the boat and use the cash for some home projects. He calls Barry and needed info for finace company and Barry says now that your financing it the price is $55K. needless to say they were pissed and really liked the boat so decided to go back to cash route and told Barry they would be down to pickup boat this past Sunday. Barry calls and leaves a message for my buddy phone on Saturday night and said that he sold the boat to someone who came in and wrote a check for $60K. So it sounds like Barry had the bullshit and my buddy got pushed out and didn't walk.
Here is how I see what happened. Barry agreed on the the $50K price and he got cold feet and this guy came in and payed more and Barry jumped on it. So I'll call it as I know it BULLSHIT......
:mad:

Steamin' Rice
03-30-2004, 08:41 AM
I have known Barry for over 2 years and have never had a problem dealing with him. I don't know anything about your deal, but when I was selling my boat it went to the first person who showed up with cash. I had three people tell me that they liked the boat at the same time, but only one person showed up with money.

rivercrazy
03-30-2004, 08:52 AM
Money talks and BS walks is what it sounds like to me. :D
Its hard enough to sell a boat in a reasonable period of time. Been there done that on a number of occasions. Unless someone leaves cash on the table you don't have a deal or its in writing.....

redneckgirl
03-30-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by One Particular Harbor
Knock on wood. We are working through the financing and other details right now, so I don't want to jinx it. But, yes, we are buying Barry's boat.
Great guy...took a lot of time out yesterday to take a test ride. Put up with me and my family, including our 3 small children.
Really nice boat and Barry is going out of his way to make sure it is "like new" when we take delivery.
Were you there on Saturday?? If that was you in the white pickup... We were the family in the blue Expedition dropping off the Step Skier... Welcome to the Shockwave Family :D :D I am sure you will love Barry's boat, it is a nice ride.
RNG

hd&boatrider
03-30-2004, 09:03 AM
I have to say that from my dealings with Barry he seems very fair and upfront. Don't know any of the details but the negative stuff doesn't sound right to me. Just remember there are always two sides to every story.
Congrats on the new boat. I just bought a new SW Tremor and took it out for the 1st time last weekend. You are going to love it.

BoatFloating
03-30-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
Money talks and BS walks is what it sounds like to me. :D
Its hard enough to sell a boat in a reasonable period of time. Been there done that on a number of occasions. Unless someone leaves cash on the table you don't have a deal or its in writing.....
When you ask him should you come back and leave a deposit and he said no! just come back in next week, then tell me who the BS is on. When you live in Valencia it's not a hop skip and a jump to Corona.
I'm glad you guys are taking up Barry's cause and he has been good to you but I'll tell you straight out, he talks out up both sides of his mouth. This is the same guy that swore up and down his new cat is not a splash of a Talon/A.O./Firehawk but I come to find out he freely admited it to other manufactures at the boat show. He said the only thing he tooled was the top and the bottom was a splash. You can call BS all you want but look at the bottom of that boat. You gotta be blind not to see the same bottom on his boat and the Talon/A.O./Firehawk.
I don't come in here and rant all that much but I tell you he screwed a good friend and that is B.S.

mbrown2
03-30-2004, 11:39 AM
If someone says not to come down and leave a deposit, that's focked if they sale out from under you. Verbal agreements used to hold the same weight written ones do; if you can't trust a man's word, then that man ain't worth trusting..
If it happened like you stated, too bad for your buddy BF...
Good luck on your new boat OP Harbor....If you are going to pay for storage and do most of boating in Havasu area, get storage up there....much more convienent. West Marine, Overton's and Bart's are always selling stuff...either one should have what you need...get the cheap life vest; they are easy to store and cheap to replace after a couple years...

DAB
03-30-2004, 12:11 PM
So..the original deal was 50K CASH, then it turned into 55K financing? OK, happens everyday in business...now was the guy pre-approved? So the big question, what if he waits and your buddy doesn't get financed or finds a better deal in the mean time.. does he go through with the purchase just because? Come on now, give me a f'n break...and BTW now your back on the Cat botom splashing, knockoff, thing, get over it the Shockwave Cat has NOTHING to do with a private party sell. I NEVER come on here and rant and rave, but you'v ebeen on this cat thing since the show and have used your buddy's boat as another vehicle to spew your shit.
Originally posted by BoatFloating
When you ask him should you come back and leave a deposit and he said no! just come back in next week, then tell me who the BS is on. When you live in Valencia it's not a hop skip and a jump to Corona.
I'm glad you guys are taking up Barry's cause and he has been good to you but I'll tell you straight out, he talks out up both sides of his mouth. This is the same guy that swore up and down his new cat is not a splash of a Talon/A.O./Firehawk but I come to find out he freely admited it to other manufactures at the boat show. He said the only thing he tooled was the top and the bottom was a splash. You can call BS all you want but look at the bottom of that boat. You gotta be blind not to see the same bottom on his boat and the Talon/A.O./Firehawk.
I don't come in here and rant all that much but I tell you he screwed a good friend and that is B.S.

slink
03-30-2004, 01:30 PM
Red neck girl,
That was me at SW on Sat. We were going to try and buy Barry's boat but it seemed like he was overwhelmed by all of his offers, and now reading all the post I can see why. My neighbor does most of the financing for SW and was going to hook me up with Barry but there were just too many fish on his line. He said didn't feel comfortable doing the deal w/me because someone else had already committed and my $$ was a few days away. Anyway, stopped by last night (Mon) to do the deal and get in line for the mold. Barry wasn't there so I dealt w/ Bob and Jennifer. After the typical sales bandering back and forth we were able to come to a deal on a brand new 25 tremor which we take delivery of late May to early June. Can't wait. :) :) :) :) :) :) Jeff

rivercrazy
03-30-2004, 01:37 PM
Congrats Slink! Welcome to the Tremor Club! Those guys down there are strait up and awesome to deal with.

hd&boatrider
03-30-2004, 02:23 PM
Congrats Slink. See ya on the water

redneckgirl
03-30-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by slink
Red neck girl,
That was me at SW on Sat. We were going to try and buy Barry's boat but it seemed like he was overwhelmed by all of his offers, and now reading all the post I can see why. My neighbor does most of the financing for SW and was going to hook me up with Barry but there were just too many fish on his line. He said didn't feel comfortable doing the deal w/me because someone else had already committed and my $$ was a few days away. Anyway, stopped by last night (Mon) to do the deal and get in line for the mold. Barry wasn't there so I dealt w/ Bob and Jennifer. After the typical sales bandering back and forth we were able to come to a deal on a brand new 25 tremor which we take delivery of late May to early June. Can't wait. :) :) :) :) :) :) Jeff
Slink, Welcome to the Shockwave Family... I am glad to hear you stuck with Shockwave and got a new Tremor... You won't be sorry :D :D We love our Step Skier, it is perfect for our style of boating... I know you will love the Tremor... Hope to see you at the Regatta...:D :D
RNG

BoatFloating
03-30-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by DAB
So..the original deal was 50K CASH, then it turned into 55K financing? OK, happens everyday in business...now was the guy pre-approved? So the big question, what if he waits and your buddy doesn't get financed or finds a better deal in the mean time.. does he go through with the purchase just because? Come on now, give me a f'n break...and BTW now your back on the Cat botom splashing, knockoff, thing, get over it the Shockwave Cat has NOTHING to do with a private party sell. I NEVER come on here and rant and rave, but you'v ebeen on this cat thing since the show and have used your buddy's boat as another vehicle to spew your shit.
Spew my shit? I used it as a example of how he says one thing and tells people the other that's all. You didn't get it did you? I haven't said a word since the show but the Shockwave Cat was a topic of discussion at the Power Boat trails with some of the MFG's. I'm just pointing out the fact is he dosen't tell the truth. If I want a Talon I'll go buy one not a rip off.
You need to read my post better I NEVER said NEVER rant. Here is my quote I don't come in here and rant all that much but I tell you he screwed a good friend and that is B.S.
So get your quote straight.
And to answer your question he was pre-approved for a loan and was shopping for the right boat. When he asked me about Shockwave before he went down I told him they make a very good boat. I have nothing against Shockwave I just thought a deal is a deal and I guess money talks louder when you agree on a price and you can sell it for more to someone else. If Barry didn't hose them why would he call them on Saturday and tell them he sold it for more money then he offered????
So..the original deal was 50K CASH, then it turned into 55K financing? OK, happens everyday in business...
Not any kinda of business that is legit that is not trying to hide cash. When I bought my truck we didn't agree on a price and then it go up $5K because I finaced it. And tell me what difference does it make cash or finacing, chances are the both come in a form of a check.
So the big question, what if he waits and your buddy doesn't get financed or finds a better deal in the mean time.. does he go through with the purchase just because?
If you agreed on a deal then if someone walks in and offers more and you take it then your a snake period......

DAB
03-30-2004, 05:21 PM
Sounds like your a little angry.. every time someone pops off you come in and break apart a quote and attempt to set things straight... If you felt that strongly about it, then a simple "sounds like my buddy got screwed" would have been ok, and I never would have responded.. but you attempt to use a boat bottom that by the way everyone has taken, changed slightly, stretched to try and shoot holes in his character. Give me a break...aparently you don't own real estate, because if you did you'd know that a deal is not a deal until you get the cash. It happens every day, I meet the asking price and everything is going good and later that afternoon someone else comes in and offers ten grand more and I'm out, even though we shook hands and had a deal. So please, don't tell me about legitimate business... feel free to come back and rip this quote apart as you often do... BTW if you get an offer on your boat, please don't let us hear that you held out for a better price.......
Spew my shit? I used it as a example of how he says one thing and tells people the other that's all. You didn't get it did you? I haven't said a word since the show but the Shockwave Cat was a topic of discussion at the Power Boat trails with some of the MFG's. I'm just pointing out the fact is he dosen't tell the truth. If I want a Talon I'll go buy one not a rip off.
You need to read my post better I NEVER said NEVER rant. Here is my quote
So get your quote straight.
And to answer your question he was pre-approved for a loan and was shopping for the right boat. When he asked me about Shockwave before he went down I told him they make a very good boat. I have nothing against Shockwave I just thought a deal is a deal and I guess money talks louder when you agree on a price and you can sell it for more to someone else. If Barry didn't hose them why would he call them on Saturday and tell them he sold it for more money then he offered????
Not any kinda of business that is legit that is not trying to hide cash. When I bought my truck we didn't agree on a price and then it go up $5K because I finaced it. And tell me what difference does it make cash or finacing, chances are the both come in a form of a check.
If you agreed on a deal then if someone walks in and offers more and you take it then your a snake period......

BoatFloating
03-30-2004, 07:09 PM
feel free to come back and rip this quote apart as you often do...
Ok I will
but you attempt to use a boat bottom that by the way everyone has taken, changed slightly, stretched to try and shoot holes in his character.
No, he ruined his own character by tell me after I asked if he designed the bottom at the boat show and he said he desiged it from the ground up, lie! Not everyone has splashed that bottom there are plenty of MFG's that take the time to design their own hull. Like Carrera, Lavey, Eliminator, Spectre, Skater, Talon and so on.
Give me a break...aparently you don't own real estate, because if you did you'd know that a deal is not a deal until you get the cash.
No, I live in a box. Last time I checked we are talking about a boat purchase and not a 1/2 million dollar house. So you are saying when you bought your boat and it came out of mold and before you took delivery that it would be ok to sell it to someone who offered more money. Remind me not to buy a Shockwave then. Just to let you know if you make a offer on a house and the seller accepts and seller has entered a contract to sell. Nobody held a gun to Barry's head and said take $50K.
Sounds like your a little angry.. every time someone pops off you come in and break apart a quote and attempt to set things straight...
No I'm not angry. I just try and set it straight and not have someone distort what I said and spin it to make it look like I said something different.
BTW if you get an offer on your boat, please don't let us hear that you held out for a better price.......
I'll say it again since you didn't understand what I said. Friend calls Barry and says will you take $50K for boat Barry says ok and friend asks do you want me to come back and give you a deposit. Barry says no that's fine just come back next Sunday with the money and pickup boat. And then he sells it to someone else who makes a offer at a higher price. So if someone calls me and I accept there offer and I say just show up tomorrow with the money and we have a deal and 5 minutes later someone else calls and makes a better offer. And I tell them that it's tenatively sold and if the person dosen't show up tomorrow it's yours I guess that makes me a ass, so be it.....
Just because you own a Shockwave and Barry's been good to you doesn't mean he didn't screw someone out of a agreed deal......

Jordy
03-30-2004, 07:15 PM
I don't own a Shockwave and I think your buddy dropped the ball. I sold my old truck about 3 different times and never saw dollar one from 2 of the people. One was even on this board. Until I have cash in hand it's for sale.
If I was your buddy I would have been down there Monday morning with at least a deposit. At the very least I would have talked to him every day to confirm it. Better to be a pain in the ass than second in line for a boat, at least that's what a wise man once told me.
Point fingers all you want, talk of bottom splashing, whatever makes you feel better. I still say if your buddy didn't put money down, and I'm going to guess didn't follow up at least once (if it was me it would have been every day. Just ask the people I just bought my 21' Schiada from. Talked to them every day. ;) ) and somebody walked up cash in hand. More money or not I would have done the same thing.
How realistic is "I'm sorry, I would love to take your money, but some other guy that I haven't heard from in a week and might not hear from again said he's going to buy it." Yeah, I didn't think it was realistic either.

rivercrazy
03-30-2004, 07:24 PM
I agree with ya on all fronts Jordy.
And for the record, Shockwave didn't spash anyone. They obtained the Cat via legitmate and fair business period.
For the record, I have dealt with Shockwave for well over 6 years buying a few boats from them. I've known dozens of people that bought new and used boats from them. They have been stand up, fair, accommodating, ethical, responsive, and honest people. Never heard anything from anyone to the contrary.
When I bought my last boat from Greg (former sales manager), Barry took the reins and helped out with all the fine details. He had zero to gain financially from helping me. But he did anyway. That's what kind of guy he is. He gives 110% effort to make sure people are satisfied and happy. My experience from him has been exemplary.
While I totally believe Barry sold his boat in a totally ethical and fair manner, the situation really doesn't involve Shockwave. It is a private sale.

Jordy
03-30-2004, 07:41 PM
I agree with ya on all fronts Jordy.
Holy shit and I got it in writing too!!! Better not make a habit of that kind of behavior ya ****in' banker. :D :D :D :D

RiverToysJas
03-30-2004, 07:45 PM
Personally, I'd like to hear Berry's side. I read one story from two different people, then a bunch of assumptions based on past experiences with Berry, but nothing of the third side of the story.
I like Berry, and want all of his fan club to be right, but at the same time, I read some disturbing things in the original story.
1) Berry turned down a deposit. Then sold it to another w/o giving the first guy a chance to up his offer.
2) He raised the price when it was going to be financed. What's that about??? :confused:
What's the real story? :confused:
Why do I care? Because when I refer people to Shockwave, and tell them to see Berry. I want to know if there is any truth to this story (the way it wsa told), simple as that. This deal didn't involve Shockwave, but it did involve a sales rep there that I respect.
RTJas

Jordy
03-30-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by RiverToysJas
Because when I refer people to Shockwave, and tell them to see Berry.
RTJas
How often does that happen RiverLaveyToysLaveyJasonDidImentionLavey? :D
BTW, I have no past experience with Barry or Shockwave. I just call it as I see it and I think the guy dropped the ball. I too would like to hear the whole story, but with nothing in writing and no deposit given I still say he's second in line for a boat and s.o.l.

RiverToysJas
03-30-2004, 07:49 PM
How often does that happen RiverLaveyToysLaveyJason? :D
There are some people who want low-profile 21' Jet boats! ;) I don't understand it :D , but I know Shockwave & Ultra build nice ones. Personally I think the Lavey 21 (23') is too big and deep in the jet configuration. ;)
RTJas :D

BoatFloating
03-30-2004, 08:01 PM
I don't own a Shockwave and I think your buddy dropped the ball. I sold my old truck about 3 different times and never saw dollar one from 2 of the people. One was even on this board. Until I have cash in hand it's for sale.
If I was your buddy I would have been down there Monday morning with at least a deposit. At the very least I would have talked to him every day to confirm it. Better to be a pain in the ass than second in line for a boat, at least that's what a wise man once told me.
Point fingers all you want, talk of bottom splashing, whatever makes you feel better. I still say if your buddy didn't put money down, and I'm going to guess didn't follow up at least once (if it was me it would have been every day. Just ask the people I just bought my 21' Schiada from. Talked to them every day. ;) ) and somebody walked up cash in hand. More money or not I would have done the same thing.
How realistic is "I'm sorry, I would love to take your money, but some other guy that I haven't heard from in a week and might not hear from again said he's going to buy it." Yeah, I didn't think it was realistic either.
Jordy, he did talk to Barry about 4 times or left messages from Saturday the 20th to Friday the 26th to get everything taken care of. On Friday my buddy calls me and says that Barry won't return his phone calls. And on Saturday he calls him and tells him he sold the boat if he hadn't talked to himwhy would he even bother calling him???? . Did you call the 2 guys that you didn't sell your truck to and tell them "I sold my truck so come by on Sunday." I guess my buddy did learn a lesson if that person agrees to the price and tells you next Sunday is fine, go down there right then and show the deposit check in his hand and get it in writing. I guess I'm the only person that can see that this was a bad deal.
It's funny that the guy who was working on the fiance called Barry and told him that everything was a go and Barry told him that no problem the boat wa his. I would love to hear Barry's side of the story. So if he's a salesperson we know they tell the truth?????
And for the record, Shockwave didn't spash anyone. They obtained the Cat via legitmate and fair business period.
Now I'm confused. How do you obtain a hull and not splash it.
While I totally believe Barry sold his boat in a totally ethical and fair manner, the situation really doesn't involve Shockwave. It is a private sale.
Can you tell me what is Barry's postion at Shockwave is he the owner? It's a private sale that was at Shockwave and involved a employee of Shockwave.
As Shockwave owners I'm glad you have been taken care of and that's the way it should be. But this is a bad deal for a fellow Hot Boater period....

Jordy
03-30-2004, 08:13 PM
There were molds for sale on ebay not to long ago. You can buy the rights to a plug. You can buy an old bottom design. There are lots of ways to get a bottom design that is not splashing.
Oh, and I still don't own a Shockwave. ;)

RiverToysJas
03-30-2004, 08:13 PM
.... I guess I'm the only person that can see that this was a bad deal.
I agree with you, the way it's stated, sounds bad. :(
There are those of us who don't define a "splash" as a bottom that is legally purchased and copied or modified, with consent from the originator, which it sounds like this was. To some a splash is stealing the bottom, copying it exactly, and claiming it as your own.
RTJas

BoatFloating
03-30-2004, 08:35 PM
There are those of us who don't define a "splash" as a bottom that is legally purchased and copied or modified, with consent from the originator, which it sounds like this was. To some a splash is stealing the bottom, copying it exactly, and claiming it as your own.
This will be my last post on splash issue because this is not the issue. I only used it to make a point of what he told me at boat show and what he told someone at another MFG.
I agree with you that it's how you go about it and the word splash means to most people ripped off. I use it as a exact copy of the same boat. Howard boats admit freely that there cat bottom is from American Offshore.
I know Barry comes in here and maybe he can give his side of the story. I just feel bad because I told him that it was a good deal and a good boat and both he and his wife are very dissapointed because they didn't get it. And he did everything he was told to complete the deal.

rivercrazy
03-30-2004, 08:36 PM
What is Barry's postion at Shockwave is he the owner? It's a private sale that was at Shockwave and involved a employee of Shockwave.
But this is a bad deal for a fellow Hot Boater period....
He is their sales manager. To my knowledge he has no ownership position.
In your "opinion"
To me it still sounds like there was waffling and negotiations taking place without any cash down or contract. Sounds clear cut to me. Its not Barry's fault the guy lived so far away. If you want something bad enough you make it happen....
Cash buyers usually are able to negotiate better terms. Financing adds an element of additional time and uncertainty to any deal. Its up to the buyer and seller to negotiate an acceptable deal. This wasnt the sale of a small ticket item. Its a big ticket item. As a result, deals shouldn't be so casual or laid back. Get it done or don't get it done.....
In my "opinion"!:D
No need to drag any other "agenda" into the conversation! :p

DryHeatOnly
03-30-2004, 08:40 PM
I guess my buddy did learn a lesson if that person agrees to the price and tells you next Sunday is fine, go down there right then and show the deposit check in his hand and get it in writing.
IMO, this is exactly what should have taken place. Valencia to Corona is a 'hop skip and a jump' when you're dealing with a high-ticket item which is being bought under market-value. Ya' gotta close it now. Don't let the seller rethink it.
Would I have been pissed if this happened to me (according to this version)? Hell yes, but then I would have realized I messed up by not closing the deal.
On a far lesser scale, a similar situation happened to me recently in "reserving" a desirable storage spot for my trailer. Turns out the (moneyless) paper reservation I received was worthless. When it came time to rent the space 2 1/2 weeks later, they had just rented my space out 2 days before I went in to finalize the deal. Even though I was pissed, I realized I should have put my money down when I first commited to it. I lost out.
Again - the situation pales in comparison to the purchase of a boat, but I think there's a parallel there.
Inthered - I hope you find another boat soon and join us on the boards under a more positive situation! Good luck.
DHO

RiverToysJas
03-30-2004, 08:45 PM
To me it still sounds like there was waffling and negotiations taking place without any cash down or contract. Sounds clear cut to me. Its not Barry's fault the guy lived so far away. If you want something bad enough you make it happen....
I trust you Dave, but I didn't see that. Perhaps I missed it. Where did you get the impression that there was waffleing? I read that an offer was made, a deposit offered, and Berry told the guy to wait a week. He didn't say wait a week, I have better offers pending (or did he?). Then again, Why would Berry put off cash for a week??? Did the guy not offer to pay right away? maybe thats the waffle area....... I just don't get it. Something doesn't add up. I'm leaning towards the money talks side though.
I know when I sold my old Hawaiian, I didn't even really want to sell it so early in the season, but the guy (a board member's friend who knew I was planning to sell soon) really wanted it and insisted on coming over with cash. So...I went boatless for a few months....
RTJas

Jordy
03-30-2004, 08:50 PM
I like Berry, and want all of his fan club to be right, but at the same time, I read some disturbing things in the original story.
1) Berry turned down a deposit. Then sold it to another w/o giving the first guy a chance to up his offer.
2) He raised the price when it was going to be financed. What's that about??? :confused:
RTJas
I'm leaning towards the money talks side though.
RTJas
Speaking of waffling... :D :D :D

BoatFloating
03-30-2004, 08:50 PM
He is their sales manager. To my knowledge he has no ownership position.
In your "opinion"
Cash buyers usually are able to negotiate better terms. Financing adds an element of additional time and uncertainty to any deal. Its up to the buyer and seller to negotiate an acceptable deal. This wasnt the sale of a small ticket item. Its a big ticket item. As a result, deals shouldn't be so casual or laid back. Get it done or don't get it done.....
In my "opinion"!:D
No need to drag any other "agenda" into the conversation! :p
No other agenda here.....
I just guess that I'm the only one here that can see that a person got hosed. There was no waffling and he told him he didn't need to come back. Why drive out there is he says it's not needed.
If anyone had a agenda it was Barry "in my opinion" he gave himself another week to sell the boat to somene else at a higher price and if that didn't go thru then he had my buddy to fall back on. Had he taken the deposit then he would have been morally obligated I guess to do the deal so this is why he didn't want the deposit. Again "my opinion" but it's clear as day to me......

RiverToysJas
03-30-2004, 08:54 PM
Speaking of waffling... :D :D :D
LMAO! I'm not waffling, I'm evolving!!! ;) :D :D

Jordy
03-30-2004, 09:06 PM
No other agenda here.....
I just guess that I'm the only one here that can see that a person got hosed. There was no waffling and he told him he didn't need to come back. Why drive out there is he says it's not needed.
If anyone had a agenda it was Barry "in my opinion" he gave himself another week to sell the boat to somene else at a higher price and if that didn't go thru then he had my buddy to fall back on. Had he taken the deposit then he would have been morally obligated I guess to do the deal so this is why he didn't want the deposit. Again "my opinion" but it's clear as day to me......
That boat has been on the market for around a month or so. It's boating season. If your buddy was serious about it he would have been there that day with a cashiers check, or at the minimum a deposit. Enough said. It's gone. Bad mouthing anyone over this deal just makes the whole thing laughable. You snooze, you lose.
Oh, and I still don't own a Shockwave. ;) I don't care if it was a baylitter, a sea ray or a jet ski, the first one there with the money gets the goods. :D

inthered
03-30-2004, 09:46 PM
Let me set things straight. I am the one that got the shaft from Barry. I had a deal worked out to buy Barry's boat. My finance company even called Barry and assured him that the financing was taken care of. Barry was the one that said for me not to drive all the way from Valencia to bring a deposit which i offered to do. He said it was a done deal and all i needed to do was to meet him at Shockwave on sunday and we would go test drive the boat and i would take possesion then. When i called Saturday to finalize the time he didn't even mention then that someone else was interested, he just said he would call me back later to set a time to meet. He called me back later all right, about 7 pm that night to say he sold it to the highest bidder. That's exactly how things went down. I don't really care what people think. I just wanted to let people know what they can expect in case there are a few people out there that still believe in a man's word. If you don't then good luck the next time you try to buy something.

RiverToysJas
03-30-2004, 10:09 PM
Sorry inthered, perhaps you didn't notice, RD has spoken on the subject, this discussion is now officailly closed. ;)
J/K! :p
RTJas :D <--- still holding out for Berry's defense....

Havasu Hangin'
03-31-2004, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by mbrown2
If someone says not to come down and leave a deposit, that's focked if they sale out from under you. Verbal agreements used to hold the same weight written ones do; if you can't trust a man's word, then that man ain't worth trusting..
If it happened like you stated, too bad for your buddy BF...
I never thought I'd say this...but I agree with mbrown2.
A verbal agreement is just that...an contract. If the seller didn't state "first come, first served"...then it's a done deal (deposit or not). Hell...in business, there are lawsuits over this crap everyday (a buyer is entiltled to compensation for a seller breaking a verbal or written agreement).
If it were me selling (which it has been), I would have told the higher bidder to wait til after Sunday (to see if the verbal contract is followed through).
If the buyer is a no-show...then the contract is void, and the boat is back up for sale....
...if that's the way it happened.

PHX ATC
03-31-2004, 07:57 AM
If your buddy was serious about it he would have been there that day with a cashiers check, or at the minimum a deposit. Enough said. It's gone. Bad mouthing anyone over this deal just makes the whole thing laughable. You snooze, you lose.
I too, sadly, agree with Jordy.:D
Show me the money!!
If it's something I really really really want, then I put some money down as a good faith gesture. It is a small token, a refundable deposit to reserve the goods that I'm interested in. When I'm selling something, be it a trinket at a garage sale or a high dollar (to me) item, the first one with a deposit has a deal.
Out.

Jordy
03-31-2004, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by PHX ATC
I too, sadly, agree with Jordy.:D
Out.
Next thing ya know you'll be selling those Come-aparts and getting a couple of Duramax powered trucks. :D

BoatFloating
03-31-2004, 08:42 AM
Wow! I'm amazed. I just added a few board members not to do business with. Last time I checked it wasn't a auction it was a sale the price was agreed upon and he talked to Barry the day before he was to pickup the boat.
My finance company even called Barry and assured him that the financing was taken care of. Barry was the one that said for me not to drive all the way from Valencia to bring a deposit which i offered to do. He said it was a done deal and all i needed to do was to meet him at Shockwave on sunday and we would go test drive the boat and i would take possesion then. When i called Saturday to finalize the time he didn't even mention then that someone else was interested, he just said he would call me back later to set a time to meet. He called me back later all right, about 7 pm that night to say he sold it to the highest bidder.
I'm glad to see there are other members who see it for what it's worth.
On some level even if a guy wrote a deposit... 10K on top??? Guess who's getting their check back..
You gotta to be kidding right... RD has spoken alright, out his ass. When you except a deposit you have entered into a contract to sell. Now is someone going to waste there time to sue? Who knows depends on the item and the return.
Barry agreed to sell the boat and knew the finacing was there as of Saturday and a few hours later sold it to this other guy. And if you missed it this guy didn't walk in and hand him a check for the boat. Here is post.
So to say this guy came in and paid $60K cash is crap he needed to get finaced and as of Monday was still working on it.
Bottom line is Barry saw more money to make on the boat and sold to the highest bidder. So maybe he should of put it on Ebay.... That's fine and if you don't have any ethics then ok, goodluck to you in future business, because here comes the Karma!
RTJ, since you know Barry shoot him a email and have give his side of the story because maybe I'm missing something. I'm glad to see that you have a open mind and will wait to hear what his side is. I too would like to here his side of the story and will wait to pass judgement but "get a rope".

Jordy
03-31-2004, 08:51 AM
Hey BF, is it just me or do you have a major hard on for Shockwave and Barry? Why not let it go already? It's starting to sound kinda crybabyish.

Steamin' Rice
03-31-2004, 09:04 AM
Was there a written sales contract? When I sold my boat, the buyer lived in the bay area and told me that he was going to mail me a deposit check to hold the boat until he was able to get his financing arranged. Guess what, we had a written sales contract that specified the sales price, the conditions of the sale, when the sale was to be completed, and that it was binding for both the buyer and the seller according to the terms of the contract. I had several people verbally tell me that they were going to buy my boat, and I never heard back from them.
$50k for Barry's boat was an absolute steal, and if I was buying and he agreed to that price I would have it in writing and I would have some cash in his hand ASAP. It wouldn't have been too hard to fax a sales contract to Barry and have him sign it. What if Inthered found a similar boat to Barry's that he could buy for $40k instead of $50k? Would he have followed through with the purchase of Barry's boat or would he save himself $10k?
When you buy a piece of real estate, you have a VERY detailed sales contract that is binding to the buyer and seller.
I have a deposit on a new boat and guess what, I have a written sales contract for the boat.
I am sorry that Inthered feels burned by the experience. I don't know Barry's side of the deal, but unfortunately it sounds like there was some miscommunication somewhere along the line. I can say that from my experience with Barry, he has gone over and beyond to help me out, and I don't think he has received one dollar of commission from either of the two Shockwaves that I have purchased.

PHX ATC
03-31-2004, 09:11 AM
Next thing ya know you'll be selling those Come-aparts and getting a couple of Duramax powered trucks. :D
Nope. But I sure would like an Ally behind momma's truck instead of the 48RE. Rummage through the parts bin and mail me a tranny, one piece at a time!:D
Boat Floating - it's okay if you don't do business with me, but if you fly into PHX, you're stuck with me! I was just saying my piece, that's all, no more no less. I understand and get the point that you or your friend (which, where is he defending his side of the story here anyway - it's all you:confused: ) won't buy a Shockwave or from Barry again. That's cool, I've no problem with that. There has to be more to the story, something missing somewhere.... Life goes on, I'm over it.:)

rivercrazy
03-31-2004, 09:14 AM
Steamin Rice hit the nail directly on the head. BINGO!
This is not some small ticket item that can be casually dealt with. Big ticket items need to be backed up in writing and with the all mighty dollar. Written contracts are customary in larger transactions. Its just good business to itemize a deal and clearly get consensus from both parties.....
Originally posted by Steamin' Rice
Was there a written sales contract? When I sold my boat, the buyer lived in the bay area and told me that he was going to mail me a deposit check to hold the boat until he was able to get his financing arranged. Guess what, we had a written sales contract that specified the sales price, the conditions of the sale, when the sale was to be completed, and that it was binding for both the buyer and the seller according to the terms of the contract. I had several people verbally tell me that they were going to buy my boat, and I never heard back from them.
$50k for Barry's boat was an absolute steal, and if I was buying and he agreed to that price I would have it in writing and I would have some cash in his hand ASAP. It wouldn't have been too hard to fax a sales contract to Barry and have him sign it. What if Inthered found a similar boat to Barry's that he could buy for $40k instead of $50k? Would he have followed through with the purchase of Barry's boat or would he save himself $10k?
When you buy a piece of real estate, you have a VERY detailed sales contract that is binding to the buyer and seller.
I have a deposit on a new boat and guess what, I have a written sales contract for the boat.
I am sorry that Inthered feels burned by the experience. I don't know Barry's side of the deal, but unfortunately it sounds like there was some miscommunication somewhere along the line. I can say that from my experience with Barry, he has gone over and beyond to help me out, and I don't think he has received one dollar of commission from either of the two Shockwaves that I have purchased.

Jordy
03-31-2004, 09:17 AM
Nope. But I sure would like an Ally behind momma's truck instead of the 48RE. Rummage through the parts bin and mail me a tranny, one piece at a time!:D
Why mail when I can just deliver them. You don't live that far from me and I've been to Saguaro 2 times in the last week. Next time I'll just leave the allison parts in the back of my truck for you. :D

hd&boatrider
03-31-2004, 09:19 AM
Unless Barry comes on and addresses this I say this is a dead issue now. Eevrybody can have their opinions. I personally will continue to deal with Barry in the future. He took care of me and that is all I am concerned about to tell you the truth. I am a new, happy Shockwave customer if you haven't heard by now :)

Jordy
03-31-2004, 09:21 AM
Oh yeah, and I still don't own a Shockwave. :D

unleashed
03-31-2004, 09:34 AM
I too would like to hear Barrys version?? Sounds like some type of communication problem. However IF the story is accurate I think it is BS that you agree on a price and tell the guy its cool dont worry about bringing a deposit come down Saturday and we'll get the deal done??? Also I think it would have taken a simple phone call to tell the original potential customer that our verbal agreement is good unless someone comes in here and offers me more money?? Bad business is bad business simple as that. Alot of you are trying to sandbag the situation by saying well there wasnt a written contract bla bla bla. If Barry is as Ethical as you are all bragging about than this situation IF TRUE should never have taken place.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :devil:

bigq
03-31-2004, 09:40 AM
Not to stir the pot , but I would be a little pissed that I just paid 60k for a boat I could have got for 51k. Kinda like purchasing a Duramax and relizing you should have got the Cummins:D . Right or wrong it's just business, the person with the deal deceides if he can live with it.

unleashed
03-31-2004, 09:49 AM
Hey Dave, The F29 would be coming along great if I was still buying it. :frown:
I ended up keeping the 32 for at least another season or 2 or 3.
Deano

Havasu Hangin'
03-31-2004, 10:29 AM
This is not some small ticket item that can be casually dealt with. Big ticket items need to be backed up in writing and with the all mighty dollar. Written contracts are customary in larger transactions. Its just good business to itemize a deal and clearly get consensus from both parties.....
Yes, but a contract is a contract- verbal or written.
I know just enough about contract law to get me in trouble...
...but in most cases, courts do not differenciate between written or verbal. Written is always to prevent a "he said- she said" (like this situation)...but is not mandatory.
Cars and property are commonly bought and sold with verbal agreements (preescrow), for example. A deposit and a written contract will protect both parties (usually the seller), but are not mandatory.
Don't get me started on "the right thing to do"...

Essex502
03-31-2004, 10:55 AM
Someone is surprising quiet.

Jrocket
03-31-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by unleashed
I too would like to hear Barrys version?? Sounds like some type of communication problem. However IF the story is accurate I think it is BS that you agree on a price and tell the guy its cool dont worry about bringing a deposit come down Saturday and we'll get the deal done??? Also I think it would have taken a simple phone call to tell the original potential customer that our verbal agreement is good unless someone comes in here and offers me more money?? Bad business is bad business simple as that. Alot of you are trying to sandbag the situation by saying well there wasnt a written contract bla bla bla. If Barry is as Ethical as you are all bragging about than this situation IF TRUE should never have taken place.
Deano
I agree with Deano.

Havasu_Dreamin
03-31-2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Essex502
Someone is surprising quiet.
I was thinking the same thing.

ROZ
03-31-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
Yes, but a contract is a contract- verbal or written.
I know just enough about contract law to get me in trouble...
...but in most cases, courts do not differenciate between written or verbal. Written is always to prevent a "he said- she said" (like this situation)...but is not mandatory.
Cars and property are commonly bought and sold with verbal agreements (preescrow), for example. A deposit and a written contract will protect both parties (usually the seller), but are not mandatory.
Don't get me started on "the right thing to do"...
I was going to quote your 1st post on this matter, but this one will do just the same.
You are correct about the whole verbal contract issues... It's one of the 1st things you learn when taking a business law class... That's why RD ended up with my speakers and not the 6 others who offered me a few bucks more ;) Once I aggreed over the phone, I waited until I got the green until I made any other moves...
If he was a standup guy, he should have told the higher bidder to wait til after Sunday (to see if the verbal contract is followed through).
If the buyer is a no-show...then the contract is void, and the boat is back up for sale.... ( yet another HH quote)
I'd like to know Barry's version before I made any perdonal judgement against the guy...
One other question. Did Barry tell the guy up front if he was going to finance the boat would be 5k more?

mbrown2
03-31-2004, 11:18 AM
Where is Barry to give his side?
A contract, verbal or written will stand up in court. The fact that he allegedly he misled the potential buyer by stating he did not need a deposit and boat was his, and did not make an attempt to contact the potential buyer and provide them a chance to make a good faith deposit when other offers come up, and said okay to the finance company speaks to breach of contract and one that most courts would uphold as a breach of contract. At least I have seen rulings go that way in the workplace.
It would be nice to hear Shockwave's side....they get a lot of good press..

Jrocket
03-31-2004, 11:36 AM
It looks as if the $$$$ got the best of him.

roln 20s
03-31-2004, 11:46 AM
Hey Dave, The F29 would be coming along great if I was still buying it.
Deano- whats up with this? I love your Force. How come you are keeping it now? I look forward to seeing you out there, may even have to bum a high speed pass or two :D
Roln 20s

hd&boatrider
03-31-2004, 11:48 AM
It could be he is busy getting ready for the boat show that is going on this weekend. Just a guess as I would expect him to respond to this....at least once.

hd&boatrider
03-31-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by RiverDave
What does this have to do with Shockwave as a company? I thought this was a private party sale isn't it?
RD
Ya, what he said.....

mbrown2
03-31-2004, 12:03 PM
What does this have to do with Shockwave as a company? I thought this was a private party sale isn't it?
RD
If it was a private sale then nothing except their general manager allegedly does business with questionable ethics.

ROZ
03-31-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by hd&boatrider
Ya, what he said.....
I agree.. IF it went down the way they say, it would be and attack on Barry's character, and not Shockwave... But does that now say that Shockwave employees shady people?
All hypothetical of course :)

Jrocket
03-31-2004, 12:06 PM
When your selling something especially something like this, you get 100's of tire kickers that all say "I'm going to buy your boat, I'm coming back next week and paying $$$$ for it" Why is it only the seller that's responsible here?
I had a deal worked out to buy Barry's boat. My finance company even called Barry and assured him that the financing was taken care of. Barry was the one that said for me not to drive all the way from Valencia to bring a deposit which i offered to do. He said it was a done deal and all i needed to do was to meet him at Shockwave on sunday and we would go test drive the boat and i would take possesion then.

Jrocket
03-31-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by ROZ
I agree.. IF it went down the way they say, it would be and attack on Barry's character, and not Shockwave... But does that now say that Shockwave employees shady people?
Good question!

Essex502
03-31-2004, 12:12 PM
It's still pretty quiet from the other side.

Essex502
03-31-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by ROZ
Hypothetically speaking only...any employees character is reflected upon the company he or she is employed by. That's why a certain major aerospace corporation is undergoing a massive ethics training program because of certain individuals who might have appeared to be unethical.
I won't judge what happened nor render an opinion without hearing both sides.

unleashed
03-31-2004, 12:18 PM
Hey Jrocket, I will be out this weekend, next weekend and the poker run. If you want a ride no problem. I just put a tunnel tab on the boat and it ran solid at Elsinore on monday. Im running 30 props and got a 125 out of her on flat water. I am more than happy now and can't wait to see what she does in Havasu this weekend. Let me know when you'll be around.
Deano

Jrocket
03-31-2004, 12:27 PM
My first trip will most likely be the Poker Run.My boat is down at DCB getting some touch up work done.Dave doesnt have time to do anything else so Ill be picking it up this weekend.
You only owe me a ride from one side of the channel to the other remember!:D

Steamin' Rice
03-31-2004, 12:39 PM
Since there is a boat show that starts tomorrow, my guess is that he's working his tail off getting ready for that show and hasn't been checking the boards.

phebus
03-31-2004, 01:06 PM
Hypothetically speaking only...any employees character is reflected upon the company he or she is employed by. That's why a certain major aerospace corporation is undergoing a massive ethics training program because of certain individuals who might have appeared to be unethical.
I won't judge what happened nor render an opinion without hearing both sides.
Bad deals like this unfortunately reflect on the whole industry. How many "ethical" salespeople do you know in the boating industry? When one comes along (and there are some ) it is always a breath of fresh air. Unfortunately there aren't enough, and the bad ones give the whole industry a black eye. What ever happened to doing the right thing.

Havasu_Dreamin
03-31-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by phebus
What ever happened to doing the right thing.
I think that is what the debate/discussion is about in this thread and the varying opinions of what was the right thing to do.

Essex502
03-31-2004, 01:27 PM
10 grand came along and the right thing now sleeps with the fishes.. LOL :D
RD :D
RD <---- watching too much Sopranos!:D

Essex502
03-31-2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Steamin' Rice
Since there is a boat show that starts tomorrow, my guess is that he's working his tail off getting ready for that show and hasn't been checking the boards.
Someone maybe should give him a call and a heads-up ... a few minutes rebuttal would do wonders for this issue. I always heard he was a stand-up guy.

rivercrazy
03-31-2004, 02:05 PM
Jeez - drama makes the world go around round these parts.
You would think this is a witch hunt or something.

Havasu_Dreamin
03-31-2004, 02:14 PM
That tends to happens on this board.

ROZ
03-31-2004, 02:38 PM
Yea, we all put in our 2 sense ;) and blow it all out of proportion. Then we all find out a boring truth and move on to some other subject to make an elaborate scandal out of :D
Better than daytime tv :D

mbrown2
03-31-2004, 04:43 PM
I don't even know Barry, nor do I think he would screw the guy, but without the otherside, and going off what was said, what he allegedly did in my opinion is unethical...IMO :D If he did not do that then move on...
I am not on a witchhunt, I could give a rats ass since I am not in position to buy a Shockwave....just seems like when you have difference of opinion, folks want to call out alterior motives, or question your character for just the difference in opinion....once we get both sides maybe that opinion will change...but it sure has no alterior motives behind it just the way I view the deal based on what has been said..:cool: :)
Sorry to hijack the thread OP Harbor, and hopefully we answered your questions on the first page of this thead..

BoatFloating
03-31-2004, 05:55 PM
I understand and get the point that you or your friend (which, where is he defending his side of the story here anyway - it's all you:confused: ) won't buy a Shockwave or from Barry again. That's cool, I've no problem with that. There has to be more to the story, something missing somewhere.... Life goes on, I'm over it.:)
I agree but "inthered" has a job that he can't play on the web! So I guess I got my panties in a bunch because I know exactly how it went down. Everyone is correct that this is not a Shockwave issue but it doesn't look good as he is a General manager.
Hey BF, is it just me or do you have a major hard on for Shockwave and Barry? Why not let it go already? It's starting to sound kinda crybabyish.
I really don't have a problem either one of them I think they build a good boat and the times I've talked to Barry at boat show he's been great to me. This is why I'm shocked on how it went down. I'll follow your advice if you will too. If you knew what I knew you would be all over it kinda like thru transom exhaust and the gains from them:D
BoatFloating, there's no need to get all personal about it man.. ???
RD
Dave it's not personal just a little fun HH style:D
Originally posted by ROZ
You are correct about the whole verbal contract issues... It's one of the 1st things you learn when taking a business law class... That's why RD ended up with my speakers and not the 6 others who offered me a few bucks more ;) Once I aggreed over the phone, I waited until I got the green until I made any other moves...
Roz, homerun! This is my point exactly you are a man of your word. You could of sold them for a few bucks more but you have ethics. I guess this is why I have a hard on over this whole thing. Take my friend out of the picture, I'd still be taking up the same cause because I don't think it's right. There was a lynching party going on over the guy who didn't pay for a canopy. I'm trying to see some of the differences.
Originally posted by ROZ
If he was a standup guy, he should have told the higher bidder to wait til after Sunday (to see if the verbal contract is followed through).
If the buyer is a no-show...then the contract is void, and the boat is back up for sale.... ( yet another HH quote)
I'd like to know Barry's version before I made any perdonal judgement against the guy...
One other question. Did Barry tell the guy up front if he was going to finance the boat would be 5k more?
No, he didn't tell him that if he finaced it the price would be higher.
Originally posted by Jrocket
I had a deal worked out to buy Barry's boat. My finance company even called Barry and assured him that the financing was taken care of. Barry was the one that said for me not to drive all the way from Valencia to bring a deposit which i offered to do. He said it was a done deal and all i needed to do was to meet him at Shockwave on sunday and we would go test drive the boat and i would take possesion then.
Jrocket, thanks for seeing the small print.....
Dude, what the ****... We're talkin about Barry here, not some random "joe" that none of us know.
RD
Just because alot of people know him and he is 99% a great guy doesn't justify what happened.
Seems like you guys are kinda going out of your way to try n Chastize him becuase he's in the industry.. <---- and the truth will set you free Boat Floating. Go grind your axe on someone elses nuts for awhile..
RD
Seems like your quick to jump on his side and don't have all the facts. Are you offering your junk up for grinding :D
I'll let this go for till next week and hope to get response from Barry after O.C. boat show and if I'm wrong I'll eat crow.
Later, Rocky

cola
03-31-2004, 06:24 PM
O how quickly we forget the Amy-Essex story. Maybe the Essex boys should back right on out of this little witch hunt.
Late, Mike

cola
03-31-2004, 06:30 PM
I don't know shit about this deal. But I drove from So Cal to Vegas after work twice with 60g's in my pocket to make sure I had a boat to buy.
Late, Mike

PHX ATC
03-31-2004, 09:33 PM
Why mail when I can just deliver them. You don't live that far from me and I've been to Saguaro 2 times in the last week. Next time I'll just leave the allison parts in the back of my truck for you. :D
I'm in, beer for Ally parts.:D
Lots of beer!:cool:

inthered
03-31-2004, 10:15 PM
let me clear something up one last time, on Thurs. the finance Co. talked to barry, assured him financing was in order. Barry then called me thurs. night and assured us that he considered the boat sold to me. Once again let me reiterate, barry was the one that said not to bring a deposit, he considered it sold as of thurs.
All we needed to do was call sat. to set a time to meet on sun to pick up the boat. Maybe it sounds like sour grapes, but when your dealing with someone in the industry, as the buyer, i expected him to stand by his word. Believe me i learned my lesson. As for money talks and bullshit walks, i guess thats true because in the end, all that mattered is who was the highest bidder.
By the way, did the guy that bought barrys boat, end up with it?

phebus
03-31-2004, 10:23 PM
I would be crying sour grapes if I was willing to meet any demands the seller had (deposit issues, financing issues, etc.), made a deal with him to buy, and then found the boat sold out from underneath me. A deal is a deal, and if you made every effort to satisfy the seller, he should in return honor his end of the deal. I would like to hear Barry's side of the story, but it just doesn't sound right.

Essex502
04-01-2004, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by cola
O how quickly we forget the Amy-Essex story. Maybe the Essex boys should back right on out of this little witch hunt.
Late, Mike
We just want to hear the full story as you never know what your next boat will be...I'm not planning my next to be an Essex though I have a tough time believing Amy said what she said if she said it. :D
The longer someone is silent the more suspicious it looks - like Condaleeza Rice and the 9/11 commision. Barry's pals have all spoke up for him and I believe he's an honorable guy and will give him the benefit of the doubt until proved overwise. I'm sure he's been notified of the controversy by now.

Reaper1
04-01-2004, 08:56 AM
I just wanted to let people know what they can expect in case there are a few people out there that still believe in a man's word.
This is the bottom line IMO. I don't know Barry so I'm not at liberty to pass judgement but a man keeps his word.

BoatFloating
04-01-2004, 12:30 PM
Got your technique down and everything do ya... LOL :D
RD
I've learned from the best ;)

BoatFloating
04-01-2004, 01:26 PM
Just to clarify this for the peanut gallery.. He ain't claimin that he learned that shit from me.. LOL :D
RD
Oh contare! It's a little RD and I mean little with a sprinkle of HH on the side. The 2 biggest Junk grinders I know......

inthered
04-01-2004, 05:40 PM
To answer River Dave, I don't want anything. I will find a boat and I am sure there are a few ethical people out there that will stand by their word. I just didn't want anyone to go through what I went through. I am selling a boat myself right now and I know I won't do that to someone who is interested in my boat. I am sure Barry will come on here someday and say his side and I welcome it. As for reconciliation, what can he do at this point. I consider this controversy over unless he comes on here and slams me for something that isn't true at which point I am sure I will come back to defend myself. Maybe He is a stand up guy, just not this time.

BoatFloating
04-01-2004, 06:38 PM
To answer River Dave, I don't want anything. I will find a boat and I am sure there are a few ethical people out there that will stand by their word. I just didn't want anyone to go through what I went through. I am selling a boat myself right now and I know I won't do that to someone who is interested in my boat. I am sure Barry will come on here someday and say his side and I welcome it. As for reconciliation, what can he do at this point. I consider this controversy over unless he comes on here and slams me for something that isn't true at which point I am sure I will come back to defend myself. Maybe He is a stand up guy, just not this time.
Very well said........
We will be waiting for his response.

Havasu Hangin'
04-01-2004, 07:57 PM
...a sprinkle of HH on the side.
I resemble that remark.

BoatFloating
04-01-2004, 08:27 PM
I resemble that remark.
I resemble that remark.

rivercrazy
04-01-2004, 09:32 PM
If you guys resemble each other, is BF as tall as Learch. Or should I never pass out in front of HH? LOL! :D :D

ROZ
04-01-2004, 10:24 PM
If you guys resemble each other, is BF as tall as Learch. Or should I never pass out in front of HH? LOL! :D :D
Does this make HH the world's largest umpa loompa?

mbrown2
04-01-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by ROZ
Does this make HH the world's largest umpa loompa?
LMAO:D

Havasu Hangin'
04-02-2004, 04:48 AM
Oh...a bunch of comedians, eh?
Just remember...if you mess with one Oompa Loompa...you mess with the whole damn chocolate factory.

BoatFloating
04-02-2004, 08:59 AM
LMAO.....
I thought HH was the vertical challenged Oompa Loompa.

rivercrazy
04-02-2004, 09:41 AM
Learch at the front door - "You rang" Was that bells or balls I hear? :D

ROZ
04-02-2004, 12:46 PM
Ding-dong, is anyone home?
If I have his screen name correct, I think he has posted on RRX since this thread started... Maybe he's posting from home after the boat show.....

Essex502
04-02-2004, 12:54 PM
Home internet connections don't work in connecting to Hot Boat? His buddies have all spoken up for him here so he should know by now. The silence is deafening.

phebus
04-02-2004, 01:32 PM
Home internet connections don't work in connecting to Hot Boat? His buddies have all spoken up for him here so he should know by now. The silence is deafening.
Maybe it's because the truth hurts?????

BoatFloating
04-02-2004, 05:02 PM
I'm still biting my tounge hmmmmmmmmm...............:confused: At least to Wednesday.

cola
04-02-2004, 09:55 PM
Hey you guys are going to miss Oprah
Late, Mike

ROZ
04-02-2004, 10:26 PM
Late, Mike
Thanks for taping it for us. I think Dr. Phil is a guest speaker.. Send it to BF first. I think he would benefit the most... :D
BF after youre done with it, send it to RC... He has some new issues to deal with.. RC, You know where to send it after that...lol :D

BoatFloating
04-03-2004, 08:56 AM
Late, Mike
Either I missed the joke or it wasn't funny!:confused: So I'm going with my first thought.
Roz, maybe since you gotta it maybe you could fill me in....:)

ROZ
04-03-2004, 09:16 AM
Nope, no joke.... Since you and I seem to have posted the most toward the end of this thread, I figured we you use the shrink. Actually everyone on HB could probably use it.. I'm guessint that Cola brought up Ophra because she's daytime TV...as the prop turns ;) ... I just brought RC in because he was the last person posting... Guilty by association :D
Now I'm thinkin Magic Mountain Dan should get the tape first :D
I don't think we'll ever have this situation addressed by the other side. Greed got the best of him and he didn't stand by his word, we know it.

BoatFloating
04-03-2004, 12:45 PM
Ok I guess I understand:confused: . I think my shrink needs a shrink. And for Dr Phil that guy is a quack. I love him writing a book on how to lose weight, that fat ****!
I don't think we'll ever have this situation addressed by the other side. Greed got the best of him and he didn't stand by his word, we know it.
I agree. I'm going to send this thread via PM and see what becomes of it. I just want the truth be told period!
Just to let you know he was last online at 7:32pm on Friday April 2nd. So I would say he knows about this thread!!!!!!!!
So is the jury still out?????

BOBALOO
04-04-2004, 11:34 AM
I had almost the same problem, when we were looking for a new ride I had a certain amount that I could spend.
I bought the trader at 6:00 every thursday and one morning I found our new boat. I called the guy who was at work but said to go to his house and check it out. 10 min later I called him to ask him how to get him a deposit for his full asking price which was well under market price. I gave him a deposit and got a tentative bill of sale as I was gonna pick it up on saturday. I get a call from him later saying that he got tons of calls and offers and someone offered him 10k more cash and wanted his address to come over right then. :confused: and that he got the price from Nada and his wife was all pissed off at his too low price.
Well I am sitting at the lenders office signing papers for the re-fi when this call takes place and I am already stressed, so I tell him that I'll give him 5k more and bring him the money tonight.
Try goin to the bank to get 10k to hold the boat for a day at 4:45 on a friday. Well he said come on saturday morning to pick it up and since he owed the finance co he only wanted the difference in how much he owed to the selling price which was 10k.
I took the boat home before even paying off his finance co or goin for a test drive cuz I wanted that boat.
this deal was more stressful than buying my house but in the world of used anything the first guy with the CASH wins.
I would like to say that if everything said here is true and Barry didn't honor his deal or didn't give the first guy a chance to counter offer that is f-ed up!
I want to hear the other side but dont think it makes much difference now.
Go get the Trader and good luck.
It sounds like they had a legit deal but the $ won out.

Essex502
04-05-2004, 06:10 AM
This thread has been up for a week and no response.

hd&boatrider
04-05-2004, 07:16 AM
I think you guys can accept the fact that Barry has decided not to respond. Time to let it die if youa sk me.

Havasu_Dreamin
04-05-2004, 07:21 AM
I think you guys can accept the fact that Barry has decided not to respond. Time to let it die if youa sk me.
Silence, whether right or wrong, speaks volumes.

Essex502
04-05-2004, 09:58 AM
We didn't - ask you that is! :D J/K...I'd just like to hear the other side as I bet there was a fundamental misunderstanding and it could prolly be easily cleared up.

BoatFloating
04-05-2004, 12:06 PM
Like I said I'll hold back final judgement until this Wednesday so he gets time back from boat show, then I'll speak my final peace.
FYI, I sent him this PM and he read it on 4-4-04 so he now knows for sure about it and we will see if responds. But silence doesn't speak volume to your side.
PM
Please respond to below thread
Shockwave (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43249&perpage=25&pagenumber=1)

hd&boatrider
04-05-2004, 12:09 PM
We didn't - ask you that is! :D J/K...I'd just like to hear the other side as I bet there was a fundamental misunderstanding and it could prolly be easily cleared up.
OK.....Fair enough! Where is that dead horse anyhow?

BoatFloating
04-05-2004, 12:33 PM
:) :) :) http://www.sdplastics.com/dedhorse.gif :) :)

BoatFloating
04-06-2004, 09:26 AM
1 more day..........

Essex502
04-06-2004, 09:34 AM
It seems like getting sued in small claims court .... fail to show up and you're liable to have a judgement entered against you - whether you were right or wrong. Too bad.

RiverToysJas
04-06-2004, 10:35 AM
I know some guys who might be able to track him down....
http://www.op6c.com/images/fun_images/ATeam.jpg

hd&boatrider
04-06-2004, 11:09 AM
1 more day till what?
RD
Till BF goes on a rampage....lol
Let it go BF

BoatFloating
04-06-2004, 12:37 PM
Till BF goes on a rampage....lol
Let it go BF
No rampage. I'll just speak my final peace on the subject. Then it will be gone with no worries.
Please respond to below thread shockwavebd Last online:
07:29 PM 04-05-2004 04-04-2004 07:28 PM. Read PM
He has been online in the last 24hrs and still no response. inthered shouldn't be the only one pissed One Particular Harbor should be also knowing that he paid more for the same boat and he was a pawn in the game. I 'm sure Barry knows about this from one of his supporters. Why not just come in and tell the truth and take your lumps and I'll move on. I'm just giving him time to tell his side of the story but silence is not making you look good. So until tomorrow, we will see what happens.

cola
04-06-2004, 12:46 PM
Ha, BF how many of Berry's payments was it YOU made. Just looking to clear this up for everyone.
Late, Mike

Essex502
04-06-2004, 12:47 PM
I know some guys who might be able to track him down....
http://www.op6c.com/images/fun_images/ATeam.jpg
Isn't at least one of those guys dead?

Salty Cracker
04-06-2004, 01:03 PM
I think the point is that the boat was Barrys until the minute the papers were signed and cash had been exchanged, up until that point, if Barry didn't like the tone of your voice he can tell you to pound sand, BECAUSE IT"S STILL HIS BOAT!!!
OneParticularHarbor, as you probably know, Barry is one of the most honest stand-up guys that I know...That Boat is absolutely perfect and could have STILL sold for more. No worries man
Back to the real subject, There is a West Marine in Dana Piont that you can get all of your stuff from, no problem.
Good luck and Congratulations!!

RiverToysJas
04-06-2004, 01:35 PM
Isn't at least one of those guys dead?
That's what they want you to think! ;)
:cool:

Havasu_Dreamin
04-06-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Salty Cracker
I think the point is that the boat was Barrys until the minute the papers were signed and cash had been exchanged, up until that point, if Barry didn't like the tone of your voice he can tell you to pound sand, BECAUSE IT"S STILL HIS BOAT!!!
Absolutely, but from what I have been able to take away from the thread is that he said one thing but did another. I think that is the main complaint.

BoatFloating
04-06-2004, 01:46 PM
QUOTE]Originally posted by cola
Ha, BF how many of Berry's payments was it YOU made. Just looking to clear this up for everyone.
Late, Mike [/QUOTE]
I guess you don't get it either. So you tell me when is a deal a deal????? Is it after the Finace guy calls and tells him the loan is approved on Friday?? Or is it a deal when the buyer calls on Saturday and told he would call him back to set up a time for a pickup???? I know it's not a deal when He calls back and leaves a message that he sold the boat to "highest bidder". Spin it any way you want and tell me it was his boat and he could do what he wanted with it but if it was you on the other end don't tell me you wouldn't be pissed and your wife heart broken. So I guess I need to watch more Oprah becase I don't get it. So why don't you clear it up for me.
That's fine, inthered could except that if he told him to pound sand when he offered $50K but he didn't and inthered went and got the finacing for the boat and was supposed to take pocession on Sunday and Barry sells it out from him on Saturday.
OneParticularHarbor, as you probably know, Barry is one of the most honest stand-up guys that I know...That Boat is absolutely perfect and could have STILL sold for more.
I think the jury is still out on the honest and stand up part. Last time I checked honest meant the boat is yours not the boat was just sold to a higher bidder. Correct me if I'm wrong??? And stand up means we have a deal see you Sunday not sorry I justed got offered more money.
Now could of sold for more that is probaly correct but he ran out of time and the orginal buyer was coming on Sunday to take delivery.
Is it Wednesday yet. I need to get a few things off my chest because I'm not sure this industry has straight shooters.......

Jordy
04-06-2004, 03:12 PM
:) :) :) http://www.sdplastics.com/dedhorse.gif :) :)
Still floggin' that horse I see. Let it ****ing go already. We realize that you have a hardon for Shockwave and Barry. Enough already. :rolleyes:

Tremor Therapy
04-06-2004, 04:03 PM
Check out the signature....you'll know what I ride in. Like many have already stated, I too have bought my boat from Barry, and he has been the epitomy of a stand up guy. The guy worked overtime on my deal, and I know I got a smoking one. So when I get ready to buy my 29 (my third Shockwave), he'll be the guy I talk too!
I too had to sell a boat prior to buying my Tremor, and I can't tell you how many guys called, or came by and were going to be "cash" buyers for my boat. I had one "cash" buyer who was going to leave a deposit, and said he would be back down from LA in a week with the balance. So I told him no problem just bring the entire amount when you come, and I'll see you next week.
Now when the next cash buyer came by 3 days later, and offered me full boat (no pun intended), I called the first guy back, and told him I had a guy that was ready to buy it full boat right then, so if you want it, come down and pick it up. So guess what the next response was? His financing wasn't going to be finished until that Friday, but he could get it to me by then!
Bullshit walks, and money talks! How the hell did I know his "CASH" was financing, and why should I care. A cash deal is a cash deal. If he would have shown up with the cash, he would have got the boat for $2500 less than I ended up selling it for.
And yes Jordy, for once I have to agree with you.......damn, did I really say that?:eek:

RiverToysJas
04-06-2004, 05:04 PM
Since this is not going away......I would like to add a few penny's in Berry's defense. I don't own a Shockwave, and never have. I have many friends that own Shockwaves though (seems like most of my friends roll in Shockwave's and Lavey's these days), and have talked to many other Shockwave owners over the years. Most of those people have delt with Berry either directly or indirectly on their purchase. I have NEVER heard one complaint, or negitve comment from ANY of those people - EVER. Infact, I have heard that he has gone out of his way to follow-up and make sure they got exactly what they wanted, in a timely manner, and at a fair price.
In this case, it is my opinion that Berry made a bad judgement in not coming clean that other buyers were on the line (that's what I assume happened, based on the fact/perceptions given). OK, he screwed up this time. Let he who w/o sin cast the first stone. Shame on those those who are so quick to condem his character when they make the inevetable bad judgement themselves. Was there bad judgement on both sides, probably, who knows for sure.
Let's just say lesson learned and move on.
RTJas <---my last comments on this issue......until my next. ;)

cola
04-06-2004, 05:12 PM
Try keeping a deposit in California when the the potential buyer decides he doesn't want to complete the deal. Just a thought.
Late, Mike
PS. Yes it would break my heart, also. But, it would not have been the first time.

hd&boatrider
04-06-2004, 05:31 PM
Ya, what he said except for the bible reference.....lol
Since this is not going away......I would like to add a few penny's in Berry's defense. I don't own a Shockwave, and never have. I have many friends that own Shockwaves though (seems like most of my friends roll in Shockwave's and Lavey's these days), and have talked to many other Shockwave owners over the years. Most of those people have delt with Berry either directly or indirectly on their purchase. I have NEVER heard one complaint, or negitve comment from ANY of those people - EVER. Infact, I have heard that he has gone out of his way to follow-up and make sure they got exactly what they wanted, in a timely manner, and at a fair price.
In this case, it is my opinion that Berry made a bad judgement in not coming clean that other buyers were on the line (that's what I assume happened, based on the fact/perceptions given). OK, he screwed up this time. Let he who w/o sin cast the first stone. Shame on those those who are so quick to condem his character when they make the inevetable bad judgement themselves. Was there bad judgement on both sides, probably, who knows for sure.
Let's just say lesson learned and move on.
RTJas <---my last comments on this issue......until my next. ;)

ROZ
04-06-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Tremor Therapy
So I told him no problem just bring the entire amount when you come, and I'll see you next week.
Now when the next cash buyer came by 3 days later, and offered me full boat (no pun intended), I called the first guy back, and told him I had a guy that was ready to buy it full boat right then, so if you want it, come down and pick it up. So guess what the next response was? His financing wasn't going to be finished until that Friday, but he could get it to me by then!
Bullshit walks, and money talks! How the hell did I know his "CASH" was financing, and why should I care. A cash deal is a cash deal. If he would have shown up with the cash, he would have got the boat for $2500 less than I ended up selling it for.
There's 2 differences in your experience:
1. You have the courtesy to call the 1st guy and told him to buy it now or not at all because you had someone there with cash money and you can't take the chance of the financing deal to fall through..
2. Someone offered Barry 10 g's more than he listed it for...
And why would Barry charge him more for financing? Was Barry providing the financing for him? He would have lost nothing if he wasn't being charged a fee....
I'm not condemming the guy for making a bad decision. I'm just pointing out that he did...
I'm curious to know how Keith Sayer would have handled the situation.....

Instigator28
04-06-2004, 08:49 PM
So to sum up a 7 page long winded thread. Barry made an extra $10K, got a firm cash deal, and sold his boat.
Congrats Barry! You deserve it.

Jrocket
04-06-2004, 09:06 PM
This is what you guys look like when you start to argue over somebody elses problems! Thanks TnB.:D
http://w1.511.telia.com/~u51102888/anims/cartoon2/mous_anm.gif

77charger
04-06-2004, 09:23 PM
Is this the jetboat forum?I think i am lost here:D

BoatFloating
04-06-2004, 10:02 PM
Well since it doesn't seem like Barry will come in and tell his side of the story so I'll speak my last peace.
Jordy, you might think that I have a hard on towards Barry and even Shockwave and you would be wrong. I have a hard on towards anyone that doesn't honor their word and agreement and this has nothing to do with Shockwave. The problem is he is a Manager their and when you show the boat there you are representing the company. I'll say it for the last time Shockwave builds a quailty product and the owners that came in here and said how great Barry was and how good he treated them is great to hear. I'm sure he is and will continue to be and I'm sure alot of Shockwave's success is due to his hard work and effort.
I was only watching a buddies back like I hope you would do for a friend. I've been on this board long enough to see everyone who posted on this thread at one point or another get into with another member. I seem to remeber the canopy that wasn't paid for and how fast the sharks were in the water for that one. A Hot Boat member was wronged and the other members came to his defense and here is a qoute from that thread.
Everybody makes mistakes, it's how you handle them in the end that is a true testiment to a persons character.
RD
So how was this handled in the end? I don't think very well IMO. Barry could of came in here and gave us his reasons why he did what he did like C Winn did with the canopy and made it right but since Barry is such a honest and straight forward guy he gets a free pass. Back in the day the tribal drums would of been beating, right? Many of you guys are right that I've beat this thing to death. I guess the reason is that there has been so many people come in here and say I would of did the same thing and that just gets me hotter. If you can't see that a fellow Hot Boater was wronged then I wonder whats wrong with me. There are some in here that can see it for what's it's worth and wanted to hear Barry's side of the story. I'm sure all he want's is this to go away because in my mind he knows he hosed someone. Below is the perfect example as why I just get hotter.
Originally posted by Instigator28
So to sum up a 7 page long winded thread. Barry made an extra $10K, got a firm cash deal, and sold his boat.
Congrats Barry! You deserve it.
I guess you didn't bother to read all 7 pages of the long winded thread because you missed this part. The first buyer was approved for the loan and the second buyer who paid more had to get finacing and didn't pay cash for the boat. So firm cash deal wasn't the reason.
So to sum it all up I guess we will never hear the other side and it wouldn't matter to me because I know how it went down. I'm sure it wouldn't matter to the Barry supporters either because of his track record of being a honest guy. IMO he had his boat sold and knew he had a week to sell it for a higher price and that's why he didn't want a deposit check. So when you get a call from the finace guy saying the loan is approved and the buyer will pickup boat on Sunday and hand you a check for the boat I guess it's not a done deal and your a honest guy. I hope this doesn't happen to you or a friend because it doesn't leave a good taste in your mouth.
One Particular Harbor, I'm truly sorry for hijacking your thread. You have a great boat and you'll have many days of great boating ahead of you. Also welcome to the boards and 99% of it's fun and informative.
So now you can put the horse to bed. Goodnight Seabiscut......

Havasu Hangin'
04-07-2004, 04:16 AM
So to sum it all up...
WRONG!
To sum it all up, be wary of buying boats from some members of this board (and I'm not talking about Barry)...because I guess an agreement on price and delivery doesn't mean shit.
How would you like it if you made reservations at a resteraunt, but when you got there, they told you that the gave the table away to someone who was going to pay more?
Or lets say you ordered something from Summit, but when it didn't arrive, you call Summit and they told you that someone called right after you, and offered more, so you lose.
Or lets say you make an offer on a house, and it is accepted. When your funding is approved, you wonder why escrow is not set- it turns out that someone offered more in the meantime, so you lose.
It's called breach of contract, and is illegal (no deposit or writing is needed for a contract to be binding). You word as a individual is nothing more than a contract. We all enter into verbal contracts everyday...
...how you honor them, shows what kind of person you are. That goes for buyers, as well.
http://www.highperformancecars.com/hhangin/popc1.gif

Jordy
04-07-2004, 04:54 AM
.... so I'll speak my last peace.
I'm going to have to call bullshit on this one. I think if I cared enough to go back through this thread I'd see at least 2 last remarks from ya so far and I have a feeling you have 2 or 3 more comments in ya. Keep on flogging this ****in' horse. :rolleyes:

Tremor Therapy
04-07-2004, 06:33 AM
Okay, so there are now 7 pages flogging Barry. I don't know how your last boat selling experience went, but my last boat was probably "sold" 3 times to "CASH BUYERS" before it was actually SOLD! I didn't take a deposit from any of these so called cash buyers, because if they were ready to pay cash......bring it. Like Cola stated, if you gave me a deposit, but then decided to pull out of the deal, I'd play hell in court being able to keep the deposit!
Now as far as Barry telling his side of the story, there are 2 sides to every story. You have decided to express yours in a public forum. Barry has not.
Others of you say this speaks volumes.....does it? I don't know all the particulars about your individual transaction, and frankly I don't give a shit. I do know Barry, I have boated and hung out with Barry. He has been a stand up guy in all of my personal transactions, and I personally know that he has gone to great lengths to help out other boat owners, Shockwave or not!
And to address your response Roz, you missed my point! The first guy was a "cash" buyer, but his story smelled like shit! I didn't think he really was a cash buyer, but because he said he could be back by the end of the week I said okay.......but I was not going to tell people my boat wasn't for sale anymore! So when the next "cash" buyer showed up 3 days latter I called him, well he told me his "financing" would be done by Friday. So where is the so called "cash" for the cash deal? If it was a cash deal, and you wanted my boat so bad, get your cash and get back here the same day! I didn't have to call him, I took no deposit, I made no agreement other than a POTENTIAL SELLING PRICE.......he said CASH, and he didn't have it.
So are you going to roast me as well? What do you expect me as a seller to do, tell him to **** off I don't want your financing? No, I am not going to tell him its not for sale anymore, and then potentially loose a buyer. So when another buyer comes along that IS ready to plunk down Benjamins, the first guy lost! Deal with it.

Essex502
04-07-2004, 07:41 AM
TT - I don't think there are 7 pages flogging Barry at all. Maybe a total of 1 page and 4 pages of support thrown in amongst the real topic of this thread. Nothing like the "XXX" is a Bitch (Essex Thread from a while back)!
It would be nice to hear what Barry has to say as there is a disagreement but I guess it will never be. Hopefully, this won't affect others when they go to buy their next boat.

DAB
04-07-2004, 08:02 AM
WRONG!
To sum it all up, be wary of buying boats from some members of this board (and I'm not talking about Barry)...because I guess an agreement on price and delivery doesn't mean shit.
How would you like it if you made reservations at a resteraunt, but when you got there, they told you that the gave the table away to someone who was going to pay more?
Or lets say you ordered something from Summit, but when it didn't arrive, you call Summit and they told you that someone called right after you, and offered more, so you lose.
Or lets say you make an offer on a house, and it is accepted. When your funding is approved, you wonder why escrow is not set- it turns out that someone offered more in the meantime, so you lose.
It's called breach of contract, and is illegal (no deposit or writing is needed for a contract to be binding). You word as a individual is nothing more than a contract. We all enter into verbal contracts everyday...
...how you honor them, shows what kind of person you are. That goes for buyers, as well.
http://www.highperformancecars.com/hhangin/popc1.gif
You should go back and brush up on your law... maybe you mean "oral" contracts. Verbal contracts are anything that is written with words.. The sales of goods for over $500 is defined by the California Statute of Frauds... see below.
ยง 2-201. Formal Requirements; Statute of Frauds.
(1)Except as otherwise provided in this section a contract for the sale of goods for the price of $500 or more is not enforceable by way of action or defense unless there is some writing sufficient to indicate that a contract for sale has been made between the parties and signed by the party against whom enforcement is sought or by his authorized agent or broker. A writing is not insufficient because it omits or incorrectly states a term agreed upon but the contract is not enforceable under this paragraph beyond the quantity of goods shown in such writing.
So in the case of a $50,000-60,000 boat... no written agreement, no breach of contract.

Essex502
04-07-2004, 08:49 AM
Interesting...Judge Judy and the People's Court never mention this! :D

DAB
04-07-2004, 09:09 AM
Interesting...Judge Judy and the People's Court never mention this! :D
Thanks for the laugh.. that one made my morning...:)

PHX ATC
04-07-2004, 09:38 AM
smelled like shit!
tell him to **** off
Easy TT, this is a family forum!:D :D :D

Havasu Hangin'
04-07-2004, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by DAB
So in the case of a $50,000-60,000 boat... no written agreement, no breach of contract.
Judge Judy would probably see that differently in Civil Court. I'm not sure a statute of fraud applies to a private party.
My point is our word is all we have.
If you go back on your word...you're a shmuck.

Tremor Therapy
04-07-2004, 10:04 AM
TT - I don't think there are 7 pages flogging Barry at all. Maybe a total of 1 page and 4 pages of support thrown in amongst the real topic of this thread. Nothing like the "XXX" is a Bitch (Essex Thread from a while back)!
It would be nice to hear what Barry has to say as there is a disagreement but I guess it will never be. Hopefully, this won't affect others when they go to buy their next boat.
Easy TT, this is a family forum!
I'll keep this response pg13!
Okay, maybe 1 page of flogging. But since I have had dealings with Barry, and a similar situation, I can relate.
Anybody in the industry familiar with the term "unwind"? If you're not, its when you are going to buy something, and your financing falls through! The first guy that was going to buy my 21 Skier had this happen. I took a $1000 deposit, and held the boat for a month waiting for his "financing." Well the financing fell through, and I probably lost 3 potential buyers during the process.
So once my boat was "for sale" again, and the "cash" buyers came looking, I wouldn't take their deposit. If you have the cash, and you want it.....put your money where your mouth is. Now I would bet that Barry being in the boating industry has seen his fair share of unwinds, and I know that if my "cash" buyer all of the sudden told me he was waiting on financing, I wouldn't care who called, the boat is still for sale until the Benjamins are in my hand! Period!
I'm sorry you lost the deal of the summer. You knew you were getting the deal of a lifetime, and you should have jumped on it that day!

Steamin' Rice
04-07-2004, 10:12 AM
...I would bet that Barry being in the boating industry has seen his fair share of unwinds.....
I'm sorry you lost the deal of the summer. You knew you were getting the deal of a lifetime, and you should have jumped on it that day!
EXACTLY!!

ROZ
04-07-2004, 10:18 AM
And to address your response Roz, you missed my point!
Don't assume because of how I quoted you that I missed your point. I didn't... The next quote speaks wonders about you and your character
I didn't have to call him, I took no deposit, I made no agreement other than a POTENTIAL SELLING PRICE.......he said CASH, and he didn't have it.
That's right, you didn't have to call, but you did...
So are you going to roast me as well?
There's no reason to roast you. YOU went a step beyond and called the guy to let him know what was up... AND you didn't even commit yourself to him!
BTW,
I heard the other side of the story second hand and understand why the deal went down the way it did. Only inthered and barry know EXACTLY what went on..
If he chooses to come on and give his side, so be it. If not, then so be it as well...

Essex502
04-07-2004, 11:00 AM
The unfortunate part is that the audience here only has one side of the story and the other party is declining to tell their side. That's their right in a free society.

BoatFloating
04-07-2004, 12:45 PM
I'm going to have to call bullshit on this one. I think if I cared enough to go back through this thread I'd see at least 2 last remarks from ya so far and I have a feeling you have 2 or 3 more comments in ya. Keep on flogging this ****in' horse. :rolleyes:
Well since you called bullshit then it must be. The mighty OZ has spoken. :rolleyes: Your flogging the horse on this thread but just on a different end.
Not to waste your time since we know how important it is. Here is my quotes and not one said this is my last post on the subject. I've never seen so many people miss read comments on this thread. Let me say this one more time
The second buyer and eventual new owner didn't pay CASH. As of Tuesday after ride they were still waiting for finacing. And as he said didn't want to jinx sale.
My previous quotes
I'll let this go for till next week and hope to get response from Barry after O.C. boat show and if I'm wrong I'll eat crow. 3-31-04
We will be waiting for his response. 4-1-04
I'm still biting my tounge hmmmmmmmmm............... At least to Wednesday. 4-2-04
I agree. I'm going to send this thread via PM and see what becomes of it. I just want the truth be told period! 4-3-04
Like I said I'll hold back final judgement until this Wednesday so he gets time back from boat show, then I'll speak my final peace. 4-5-04
Is it Wednesday yet. I need to get a few things off my chest because I'm not sure this industry has straight shooters....... 4-6-04
Spend a little time and go back and read for yourself. I never said that's it. If you don't care then you let it go.

Jordy
04-07-2004, 12:51 PM
http://www.firekite.com/store/misc/pics/forum20/deadhorse.jpg

hd&boatrider
04-07-2004, 01:18 PM
Well I tell you what..............yada, yada, yada, yada, yada
:eek!:

DAB
04-07-2004, 01:28 PM
Well since it doesn't seem like Barry will come in and tell his side of the story so I'll speak my last peace.
So now you can put the horse to bed. Goodnight Seabiscut......
Nice play on words, I guess "I'll speak my last peace" didn't mean this would be your last post on the subject (Insert your response here)...damn we couldn't be that lucky. (Insert your response here) Nice try but Jordy was dead on about the 2 or 3 posts left..... I've broken my response in pieces to make it easier for you to respond... (this will be #2) I'm betting it exceeds 3 posts by at least 3.... (Insert final response here)

slink
04-07-2004, 01:37 PM
:argue: Hold on, Let me go get my 12 yr old. He always has to have the last word too. This way you guys can keep this thread going the entire summer.
"Can't we all just get along"

hd&boatrider
04-07-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by slink
:argue: Hold on, Let me go get my 12 yr old. He always has to have the last word too. This way you guys can keep this thread going the entire summer.
"Can't we all just get along"
lol...The sad thing is you are 100% right.....
By the way....I suggested to the original poster on this subject on how to eliminate this thread. I hope he does delete it....this is done...well done and time to be thrown out.

Reaper1
04-07-2004, 03:01 PM
I say keep this thread going. I read it every day for entertainment. Maybe it will get an award for longest bitch thread. :D

Tremor Therapy
04-07-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by titties and beer
hey TT i rented one of our house's to a guy ,he came buy and rented it ( HE GAVE ME 1500$DEPOSIT)i took it off the market "ITS RENTED",he came back about 3 weeks later and said he found something else cheaper ,and wanted his money back ,i told him in a very nice way "TO **** OFF",he didn't get a dime back :D :D if i make a deal i stand by it ;)
You are talking rent....not buy. Not even in the same universe when you take it to court in California! Because when you take a deposit on said property with no formal written contract, and the buyer can't buy it......unless you can prove you were damaged by the non-sale, the courts in this state will rule against you! Since you still have the property, and you were not "damaged" the alleged buyer will get their deposit back!
I'm done with this. RD, nice ghetto voice you got there. Hell when I met you at the boat show I thought you were caucasian!:D

ROZ
04-07-2004, 03:44 PM
Well, at the end of the day let me just say what my conclusion is..
BoatFloating, wants to rub my junk..
I'd still buy a boat off Barry..
And just about all of ***boat LOVES to interfere in other peoples biz.. (myself included)
Now I can set this thread off in one sentance..
IntheRed, wasn't a serious buyer, or atleast didn't come off as one.. He's just pissed after the fact becuase he ended up missing out on a good boat for a good price..
Inthered, next time be more aggressive in your buying.. Don't be such a panzi about it, and 2ndly, if you are a panzi about it don't be bringing it on here to ***boat and trying to (In my best ghetto voice) "tell it like it is" because that ain't the way it is. This is ***boat fool... don't ya know?? So even if it is the way it is, it ain't necesarrily the way it is ya know what I'm sayin? Because were crazy like dat.
RD
LMAO...

PHX ATC
04-07-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by DAB
Nice play on words, I guess "I'll speak my last peace" didn't mean this would be your last post on the subject (Insert your response here)...damn we couldn't be that lucky. (Insert your response here) Nice try but Jordy was dead on about the 2 or 3 posts left..... I've broken my response in pieces to make it easier for you to respond... (this will be #2) I'm betting it exceeds 3 posts by at least 3.... (Insert final response here)
I agree.
Did BoatFloating simply misspell "piece" (item, part of a whole) by using the word "peace" (harmony, "peace bro")? We'll never know......unless someone wants to make a 13 page thread about that............anybody???:D :D

Havasu Hangin'
04-07-2004, 04:12 PM
You are talking rent....not buy. Not even in the same universe when you take it to court in California! Because when you take a deposit on said property with no formal written contract, and the buyer can't buy it......unless you can prove you were damaged by the non-sale, the courts in this state will rule against you! Since you still have the property, and you were not "damaged" the alleged buyer will get their deposit back!
But why else would you go to court? Just because you like court? Most people go to court seeking damages for the non-sale. If there were no remedies in court for verbal contracts, it would be slow times at our civil court system.
That statement is almost as dumb as someone stating the Statute of Frauds as if it applies to boats. All that does is make it voidable- it doesn't mean it's OK to be an asshole and go back on your word.
I now consider anyone not holding their word on a deal a schmuck...and anyone defending that practice (by using the UCC example) a schmuck.

rivercrazy
04-07-2004, 04:17 PM
What's a Schmuck? Is that a junk ruber? :D :D

Havasu Hangin'
04-07-2004, 04:33 PM
What's a Schmuck? Is that a junk ruber? :D :D
schmuck also shmuck
n. Slang
A clumsy or stupid person; an oaf; one who defends wrong behavior simply because he has the same brand boat.
So HH, becuase I defended Barry does that make me a schmuck?
RD- since you didn't use the Statute of Fraud example...you are not a schmuck.
However...please remind me never to buy anything from you.

RiverToysJas
04-07-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Reaper1
I say keep this thread going. I read it every day for entertainment. Maybe it will get an award for longest bitch thread. :D
That's a stupid idea! I think I'm going to call hot boat and buy this thread, so I can lock it.
I will pay cash and pick it up in a week. My wife will work out the details with Hot Boat, and my friends will defend me if hot boat backs out before I get there with the money.

Jordy
04-07-2004, 04:39 PM
You know, the one thing I have noticed in this thread... there seems to be a lot of agreeing with Jordy. :D :D :D
Best part is, I have it all in writing to use against y'all later. ;) :D

rivercrazy
04-07-2004, 04:40 PM
You know, the one thing I have noticed in this thread... there seems to be a lot of agreeing with Jordy. :D :D :D
I'd have to agree with you for once as well......:p

RiverToysJas
04-07-2004, 04:41 PM
I have agreed with a lot of your posts in this thread, but I would never admit it in writing!!! :p

Jordy
04-07-2004, 04:42 PM
I'd have to agree with you for once as well......:p
You agreed with me back on page 2 I believe it was. Now you've agreed twice. I think you only have to do something three times to make it a habit. :D

rivercrazy
04-07-2004, 04:45 PM
schmuck also shmuck
n. Slang
A clumsy or stupid person; an oaf; one who defends wrong behavior simply because he has the same brand boat.
Schmuck = Someone who helped out a bud to get stereo gear at essentially cost at zero financial gain! Gotta admit I do feel reeeel dum now! :p :D
No more GG&T's for you! :p

Havasu Hangin'
04-07-2004, 04:48 PM
Schmuck = Someone who helped out a bud to get stereo gear at essentially cost at zero financial gain! Gotta admit I feel real dumb now! :p :D
No more GG&T's for you! :p
Alright...I'll edit:
schmuck also shmuck
n. Slang
A clumsy or stupid person; an oaf; one who consistently fields stereo questions (free of charge) and let's someone "splash" his system with little grief.
Is that better?

77charger
04-07-2004, 04:48 PM
Damn i thought this was the jet tech section.Must be them green label beers that got me confused:confused:

rivercrazy
04-07-2004, 04:54 PM
Alright...I'll edit:
schmuck also shmuck
n. Slang
A clumsy or stupid person; an oaf; one who consistently fields stereo questions (free of charge) and let's someone "splash" his system with little grief.
Is that better?
Sure - that's fine and a lot more accurate!
I guess the deals didn't offset the consulting bill :D :p But I still appreciate all the help! The system is still running strong with no hicups! Where do I send the check. Or would you prefer a cashiers check or wire transfer? LOL! :D
Maybe then I wouldn't be as much of a schmuck then! :cool:

Havasu Hangin'
04-07-2004, 05:05 PM
Where do I send the check. Or would you prefer a cashiers check or wire transfer?
No worries. Just bring the money over on Saturday...
...wait- I need a deposit, or no deal.

RiverToysJas
04-07-2004, 05:07 PM
I think I'm going to need a lot of inflatable boxing gloves Saturday! :frown:

rivercrazy
04-07-2004, 05:11 PM
The 909 is just too far for me! I'm way out here in the boon docks! LOL!
Just for clarification purposes - this stuff to me is just good natured fun between friends.....:D :D

rivercrazy
04-07-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by titties and beer
Just for clarification purposes - this stuff to me is just good natured fun between friends.....:D :D BUT IF YOU GIVE ME A DEPOSIT ,YOU AINT GETTING IT BACK:D :D its now beer money ;) :D [/B][/QUOTE]
And I bet the byproducts of the beer are probably already down in Parker! :D

77charger
04-07-2004, 05:42 PM
HH would rather have square subs and trojan golf cart batteries instead of any money,tranfers,or checks:D :D

BoatFloating
04-07-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by DAB
DAB, that's all you have???? There is a difference of bring up the whole subject again and not standing here and watching people distort the facts. As far as Barry and the whole deal, I'll have my opinion and others will have theirs and that is what makes America great. People can have their own opinion and the longer people distort the facts the longer this thread stays alive. With 4097 views on this thread so far I'll bet that 1/2 will side with you and the theory, more money won and 1/2 will side with my opinion that a deal is a deal and the finacing was in place when it was sold out from under him. So if people keep distorting the true facts I'll keep posting a rebuttal.
Just call me the Fred Sanford of Junk Grinding < in my best ghetto voice. Lamont get the truck we have a dead horse we need to fetch!

Jordy
04-07-2004, 07:34 PM
http://www.firekite.com/store/misc/pics/forum3/care2.jpg

BoatFloating
04-07-2004, 08:32 PM
http://www.firekite.com/store/misc/pics/forum3/care2.jpg
It's like that girl in Jr High you used to pick on because you really truly like her. Deep down in side you do care or you would of let it go. If you had the time and went back and counted I bet you posted about as many times on this thread as I did. So we will ask the same question you asked me why do you have a hard against me. Don't you need to go pick on Kilrtoy about his thru transom exhaust gains. I know everyone cared about that.