PDA

View Full Version : A little help please....

NastyOne
03-29-2004, 10:55 AM
Ok... My friends and family have been having an ongoing debate about if you need a valid drivers license to operate a boat. I am not sure but I would have to say no you donÂ’t because #1 I have never been asked for my license when stopped on the water (just registration) and #2 how would your license be valid if you were in international waters or in a different state.
Anyhow I am sure most of you know the rules and I would like to hear what you have to say
:)

Mandelon
03-29-2004, 10:57 AM
No, as far as I know there is no licensing requirement.
Although an argument can be made that there probably should be....:D

NastyOne
03-29-2004, 11:10 AM
I cant belive knowbody knows! Come on people!

al cole'holic
03-29-2004, 11:18 AM
No license is required...:)
Kids under the age of 16 are prohibited from operating any vessel powered by a motor of 15 horsepower or more, except for a sailboat that does not exceed 30 feet in length or a dinghy used directly between a moored boat and the shore, or between two moored boats. Kids 12-15 years of age can operate specified motorboats of 15 horsepower or more if supervised on board by a person at least 18 years of age. A violation of these provisions is an infraction...
:D

welk2party
03-29-2004, 11:20 AM
What Al said...:)

Boatcop
03-29-2004, 11:37 AM
As stated, no license is require in our neck of the woods. (West Coast).
However, some states DO require licenses and/or certification before operating a boat. I'm not sure how they treat out-of-state boaters. Make sure you check before boating in other jurisdictions.
The only State in this area that requires any certification is Utah, but it's only for those 12-17 to operate a PWC. That applies to ALL 12-17 year old operators, regardless of the State that they're from. Additionally, those 12-15 must be under the DIRECT supervision of an adult. Direct supervision means within sight at a distance in which visual contact is maintained by the adult responsible for the young boat operator.
Without the certification, those 12-17 must have an adult on board.

AdrenelineOD
03-29-2004, 12:09 PM
They do require common sence. something I see a lack of all the time.:)

Dave C
03-29-2004, 01:52 PM
if common sense is required to operate a motor vehicle then 1/2 the people that operate now would be banned.......
not that it would be a bad thing.:D

Krazy K
03-29-2004, 02:47 PM
Here in Oregon, every boat driver (regardless if you own a boat) needs a card saying that you have passed Boater Education. I believe it has to do with sharing the water with the HUGE cargo ships that are always around.
Mid -70's today and wishing I had a motor....

Boatcop
03-29-2004, 02:54 PM
Mid -70's today and wishing I had a motor....
98 here today. Wishin I didn't have to work.