PDA

View Full Version : I-15 & Cajon Pass - 60 car pile up

carbonmarine
04-01-2004, 01:43 PM
(04-01-2004) - The fog in California may be to blame for a massive car pile-up on Interstate 15 Thursday, according to authorities.
Nearly 50 to 60 cars and big-rig trucks along the Cajon Pass were involved in the chain reaction accident. At least two dozen people are reported to be injured.
Fire officials said at least four accidents along a two-mile stretch of the freeway, the main highway between Los Angeles to Las Vegas, started the accident around 6 a.m. Thursday.
Northbound lanes of Interstate 15 were shut down for several hours while crews cleaned up the mess.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
04-01-2004, 01:48 PM
OUCH!!! :eek:
Hope everyone is ok!

gnarley
04-01-2004, 02:17 PM
I heard about it on the news, to many people, cars and driving to fast for conditions and not skilled enough to protect themselves or the ones they are going to hurt from driving like assh*les.
When are people going to wake up? When you drive faster than your skills are prepared for and can't handle it you might hurt others and take out innocent victims to.

LaveyJet
04-01-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Mrs. Bordsmnj
OUCH!!! :eek:
Hope everyone is ok!
24 minor, 7 moderate transported to hospitals.

carbonmarine
04-01-2004, 02:26 PM
just heard closed til midnite at least ......

LaveyJet
04-01-2004, 02:33 PM
They're still removing vehicles, but the road is open. Don't know how many lanes though...

Phat Matt
04-01-2004, 02:39 PM
I drove through their last night or this morning around 2:30am and the fog was THICK! If there was a stalled vehicle or something blocking the road it would have been real easy to get in an accident because you wouldn't see it until it was too late.

Laveyman
04-01-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Phat Matt
I drove through their last night or this morning around 2:30am and the fog was THICK! If there was a stalled vehicle or something blocking the road it would have been real easy to get in an accident because you wouldn't see it until it was too late.
I'm not picking on Phat Matt, just using this as an example. If this was the case, that is the perfect indicator that you are driving too fast for the prevailing conditions. All too many folks think that if the speed limit is 65, then it is okay to drive 65 no matter what the condition are. If a hazard appears out of the fog before you can stop, then you are outdriving your sight distance. I cannot tell you how many times I cited a driver at a collision for Unsafe Speed when they were driving 40 in a posted 65 zone. Yes 65 is the posted speed, but the SAFE speed was probably 25-30.
My advice when driving on the freeway in dense fog...
1. SLOW DOWN
2. Get behind the biggest, heaviest tractor tralier rig you can find and follow it at a safe distance. This is the equivilent of putting a 60,000 bowling ball directly in front of your car. Trucks cannot stop for shit, but they do plow a very nice path for you to come to a safe stop behind them.
3. Once you have come to a stop, move your car out of the way so you do not get mowed over by the next idiot driving 65 in the fog!

Danhercules
04-01-2004, 03:29 PM
yup, what he said. If you cannot stop, your going too fast.

Phat Matt
04-01-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Laveyman
I'm not picking on Phat Matt, just using this as an example. If this was the case, that is the perfect indicator that you are driving too fast for the prevailing conditions. All too many folks think that if the speed limit is 65, then it is okay to drive 65 no matter what the condition are. If a hazard appears out of the fog before you can stop, then you are outdriving your sight distance. I cannot tell you how many times I cited a driver at a collision for Unsafe Speed when they were driving 40 in a posted 65 zone. Yes 65 is the posted speed, but the SAFE speed was probably 25-30.
My advice when driving on the freeway in dense fog...
1. SLOW DOWN
2. Get behind the biggest, heaviest tractor tralier rig you can find and follow it at a safe distance. This is the equivilent of putting a 60,000 bowling ball directly in front of your car. Trucks cannot stop for shit, but they do plow a very nice path for you to come to a safe stop behind them.
3. Once you have come to a stop, move your car out of the way so you do not get mowed over by the next idiot driving 65 in the fog!
Thanks for not picking on me but last night if you were on a bicycle and a deer jumped out in front of you that didn't have reflectors on you probably couldn't stop in time. My point was that it was thick and it makes it alot easier for accidents to happen.

HighRoller
04-01-2004, 06:24 PM
Laveyman, with all due rspect that's the worst piece of advice you could give.(Coming from a truck driver) First of all, no truck driver wants some car following them, it will just piss them off. Second, you may say that trucks don't stop, but you're assuming that based on 60000lbs. If I'm empty or lightly loaded and you're not completely paying attention I could stop fast enough to make you shit your pants. The average driver faced with a panic situation will...panic! Now, if I do stop fast enough to cause you to hit me, you're screwed. Instead of hitting a car, which will crumple, you'll hit a solid steel DOT bumper that will not move at all. Now, since you're in the truck lane, most likely another truck is somewhere back there bearing down on your now immobilized vehicle which is stuck to a solid steel object. Suddenly your safety net has become your coffin when another 60000lbs slams you from behind and sandwiches you! Your advice is not appropriate because the average driver will not follow at a safe distance. My advice is to drive as fast as you feel safe, keep a huge safety zone around you, and turn on your flashers. Don't get in back or in front of trucks because you'll just get run over if things go bad. And on top of that, if you rearend a truck you'll have some guy like me in your face saying"HEY! You scratched my bumper!"

THOR
04-01-2004, 06:33 PM
Having travelled the I-15 thousands of times, there would be plenty of truckers I would have liked to get in my face. It is unbelievable the ignorance of truckers.

Blown 472
04-01-2004, 06:38 PM
This sounds just like back here when the roads are shit and my car is loose at 25 mph and then you have the redneck mutha ****as in their 4x4s driving as fast as they can, I wish the tow truck drivers would charge them by the foot of cable it takes to pull the stupid asses out of the ditch.

HighRoller
04-01-2004, 06:59 PM
Having travelled the I-15 thousands of times, there would be plenty of truckers I would have liked to get in my face. It is unbelievable the ignorance of truckers.
No doubt the "ignorance of truckers" is the reason why 60-70% of the car/truck accidents in California are caused by the car. (The CHP and AAA both released this stat...reluctantly) And the fact that the number of 100mph+ tickets has tripled in the last five years for cars is not "ignorant"....

LUVNLIFE
04-01-2004, 07:54 PM
One of the people in the accident was Mert Littlfield. He was on his way to Vegas for the races They showed his crewcab dually with a tanker sitting on top of it crushing the dually. The news interviewed him and he had some blood coming from his head but he appeared alright.

Kachina26
04-01-2004, 08:53 PM
And then it happened all over again in the evening! I didn't get home until 8 o'clock.:mad: :mad: Learn to drive you dumb sob's! My wife came up at 2 this afternoon and said there were many close calls because of idiots slowing down to see skid marks and crap from this morning. STUPID!AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH. no road rage here, move on.

schiada96
04-01-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by HighRoller
No doubt the "ignorance of truckers" is the reason why 60-70% of the car/truck accidents in California are caused by the car. (The CHP and AAA both released this stat...reluctantly) And the fact that the number of 100mph+ tickets has tripled in the last five years for cars is not "ignorant"....
That still bad a professional drivers causing 30 to 40% of the accidents