PDA

View Full Version : what batteries do you guys run with your setup....

riverby5
03-30-2006, 02:08 PM
i've seen everything from the blue cap to the exide..i was just wondering because everyone i see has a damn 5000 watt stereo blasting at the sandbar or in the channel and i wonder what the hell do they have backing that up you know...

UHHH SUCKA
03-30-2006, 02:17 PM
Portable Generators.

Outnumbered
03-30-2006, 02:43 PM
i've seen everything from the blue cap to the exide..i was just wondering because everyone i see has a damn 5000 watt stereo blasting at the sandbar or in the channel and i wonder what the hell do they have backing that up you know...
do a search, there are more pages on the subject than you care to read :)
If you are not running major power I think the best bang for the buck is Costco for Optima blue tops. They stand behind their stuff and the price is right. Run 2 or 3 blue tops and you should be good to go. Add a Honda EU1000/2000 and you are unstopable.

a catered life
03-31-2006, 07:36 AM
blue tops all day long

Jordy
03-31-2006, 07:48 AM
I'm pulling out my 3 blue tops in favor of a pair of 6V Trojan golf cart batteries. Will keep you posted. :D

Havasu Hangin'
03-31-2006, 07:49 AM
I'm pulling out my 3 blue tops in favor of a pair of 6V Trojan golf cart batteries. Will keep you posted. :D
I will now have to disassociate myself from "Team Golfcart".

Jordy
03-31-2006, 07:55 AM
I will now have to disassociate myself from "Team Golfcart".
Yeah, golf carts with whackas. Got the whole package. Although I think I need to add a few caps to my system to make it complete. :D :D :D

Havasu Hangin'
03-31-2006, 07:59 AM
Yeah, golf carts with whackas. Got the whole package. Although I think I need to add a few caps to my system to make it complete. :D :D :D
The only cap you need is the one I'm gonna bust in yer ass.
6 volts? You might as well change your system over to Sparkomatic or Rockwood- they'll hit harder and not be as "ghetto".

Jordy
03-31-2006, 08:06 AM
The only cap you need is the one I'm gonna bust in yer ass.
6 volts? You might as well change your system over to Sparkomatic or Rockwood- they'll hit harder and not be as "ghetto".
I keep looking for a Sparkomatic with the locking fast forward but have come up empty in my quest. :D

shadow
03-31-2006, 08:08 AM
AGM 8D'S going on my 5th season without any problems.

phebus
03-31-2006, 08:13 AM
AGM 8D'S going on my 5th season without any problems.
If they last much longer, you'll be too old to lift them out when they need replacing :)

phebus
03-31-2006, 08:14 AM
I think they sell those 6V batteries right next door to the miniature golf course :)

shadow
03-31-2006, 08:18 AM
If they last much longer, you'll be too old to lift them out when they need replacing :)
Supposed to last 10yrs,atleast thats the warranty.Hopefully by then i'll be in another boat. :)

Havasu Hangin'
03-31-2006, 09:49 AM
I keep looking for a Sparkomatic with the locking fast forward but have come up empty in my quest. :D
Just bungee those 6 volts down...that's "maxium bling" for those things.

ROZ
03-31-2006, 10:04 AM
Just bungee those 6 volts down...that's "maxium bling" for those things.
He can spray them with Chrome in a can :cool:

Jordy
03-31-2006, 10:19 AM
He can spray them with Chrome in a can :cool:
Hey, you leave my Mexichrome out of this. I've already got that area covered. Bastards. :D

LAVEYSABRE575
03-31-2006, 10:38 AM
2 ODYSSEY BATTERIES WITH HONDA 2000 GENERATOR ALSO IOTA CHARGER...Derek

Freak
03-31-2006, 10:41 AM
2 odyssey 1700's

Fast Freddy
03-31-2006, 10:55 AM
in my nordic i power my 2 rockford amps which make 1500 watts with 2 optima blue tops. i run a 100 amp alternator.
in my kachina i power my 750 watt rockford amp with a single optima blue top. i run a 75 amp alternator in it.
when it comes to batteries for stereo systems its all about the reserve capacity ratings. blue top optimas are rated for 120 minutes reserve capacity

greengo
03-31-2006, 03:29 PM
you need golf cart batteries a pair they r 6 volt each 2 makes 12 and they last longer then any other combo just ask the big boys

Tom Brown
03-31-2006, 03:34 PM
Two six volt batteries? Won't that give you 20% more amps at 6 volts? :confused:
I think I'll stick with 12 volt batteries. I'd hate to void any warrantees.

greengo
03-31-2006, 03:37 PM
like i said they will last a lot longer than your 12 volt ask the big stero guys look how long you can drive a golf cart

greengo
03-31-2006, 03:39 PM
if you now how to wire it right u have 12 volt and a lot more reserve

Tom Brown
03-31-2006, 03:39 PM
Sure, the big stereo guys advocate running a system at half voltage but what about the Internet wire jockeys? :idea:

greengo
03-31-2006, 03:41 PM
you need two to make 12 volt not half voltage 2x6 =12

Tom Brown
03-31-2006, 03:42 PM
Oh... I see... I think. I dunno, man. It sounds kinda complicated.

greengo
03-31-2006, 03:51 PM
+to-to+ to - first + positive to last neg = 12 volt

shadow
03-31-2006, 03:53 PM
like i said they will last a lot longer than your 12 volt ask the big stero guys look how long you can drive a golf cart
Not sure what 12v your talking about? I haven't seen any GC set up that can hang.

greengo
03-31-2006, 03:54 PM
your the big dog what batteries do yoyu run

shadow
03-31-2006, 03:57 PM
your the big dog what batteries do yoyu run
8d AGM,Fully charged will crank all weeknd without a charge.Long after the golf cart is getting towed home. :)

DEMOMAN
03-31-2006, 04:39 PM
I run two odessey 2150's all weekend without recharging. If you want a cheaper solution buy the optima's at Costco they'll take them back no questions asked if you have trouble with them

jbtrailerjim
03-31-2006, 05:04 PM
I run two odessey 2150's all weekend without recharging.
This is the set up I run also. I also have no problem running it all weekend without recharging. I run one group 24 marine for the engine.

HTRDLNCN
03-31-2006, 05:10 PM
Run a 12v marine deep cycle designed for diesels.
http://www.dcbattery.com/rollsred.gif
reserve capacity 275amps per hour for 20 hours..
558amp reserve one hour
1100 cold crank
You could run your house with this beast..
Wieghs 180lbs though..
http://www.dcbattery.com/rolls.htm
They also have 6v batteries for series wiring in bigger diesels.
Kindalike the golf cart thing but times ten.
Each battery has over 2000cca and 800amp reserve,,a pair of those wired
in series for 12v would run a rock concert ..
:)
Like everything just depends how far you want to take it..
l

shadow
03-31-2006, 05:23 PM
Run a 12v marine deep cycle designed for diesels.
http://www.dcbattery.com/rollsred.gif
reserve capacity 275amps per hour for 20 hours..
558amp reserve one hour
1100 cold crank
You could run your house with this beast..
Wieghs 180lbs though..
http://www.dcbattery.com/rolls.htm
They also have 6v batteries for series wiring in bigger diesels.
Kindalike the golf cart thing but times ten.
Each battery has over 2000cca and 800amp reserve,,a pair of those wired
in series for 12v would run a rock concert ..
Similar to the ones i'm running.expect mine are sealed.Originally from a submarine.Weight is a factor,mine are about 160lbs each.Not out to win any races though.

Jordy
03-31-2006, 06:13 PM
Sure, the big stereo guys advocate running a system at half voltage but what about the Internet wire jockeys? :idea:
Half voltage??? Where do you get that Brown??? :idea:
Talked to the guy at the battery place yesterday and the whole stereo longevity thing comes down to amp hours. I was told that the blue tops run about 50 amp hours a piece. The 6V Trojans run about 250 a piece. I saw it first hand with Froggy's setup out here. He was on the lake for 3 days without hitting a charger and he's got more stereo than I do. Now I just need to find some caps. :D :D :D

Lightning
03-31-2006, 06:23 PM
Talked to the guy at the battery place yesterday and the whole stereo longevity thing comes down to amp hours. I was told that the blue tops run about 50 amp hours a piece. The 6V Trojans run about 250 a piece. I saw it first hand with Froggy's setup out here. He was on the lake for 3 days without hitting a charger and he's got more stereo than I do. Now I just need to find some caps. :D :D :D
I'm doing the two 6 volt Trojans in my boat, have been for over two years and have had no problems at all.

Havasu Hangin'
03-31-2006, 06:24 PM
Amp hours are just part of the story. Stereos do not have a static draw how amp hours are measured.
The bottom line is plate size. Apples to apples, two twelve volts in parallel or two six volts in series will store the same energy, but the key is how it's released. When you wire batteries in series, you are also stacking the internal resistance (adding it). In parallel, it is averaged.
Ever wonder why the stereo gurus use batteries with the least internal resistance? Ever wonder why that advertise that spec? Because the less the resistance, the easier it is for the batteries to release energy, the harder it will hit. A golf cart uses a slow, steady draw, but what's good for a golf cart is not necessarily what's good for a stereo.
If Jordy wants to wear a ghetto skirt at Havasu...that's his choice.
:D

Jordy
03-31-2006, 06:29 PM
If Jordy wants to wear a ghetto skirt at Havasu...that's his choice.
Call it what you want Oompa. I watched Wes pound his stereo, with a bigger draw, all day, after 2 days before without a visit to the charger, where as mine start to voltage drop and shut down without an engine or two running after about 5 hours. Figure I'll give it a shot. ;)

Havasu Hangin'
03-31-2006, 06:52 PM
Call it what you want Oompa. I watched Wes pound his stereo, with a bigger draw, all day, after 2 days before without a visit to the charger, where as mine start to voltage drop and shut down without an engine or two running after about 5 hours. Figure I'll give it a shot. ;)
Sure it works. Kinda like buying a 2,000 HP engine...then putting a Holley 650 CFM carb on there to save gas. It will run...but what are you leaving on the table?

Jordy
03-31-2006, 07:16 PM
Sure it works. Kinda like buying a 2,000 HP engine...then putting a Holley 650 CFM carb on there to save gas. It will run...but what are you leaving on the table?
But I'm pulling 3 batteries out that won't run the stereo all day in favor of 2 that will, without the need for a generator. I fired the stereo up today and it sounds like it did with the Optimas. From what I can tell, the stereo cares about total voltage and output amperage, not if it's coming from 37 12 volts and a cap or 4 3 volts running in series. As long as it's seeing the voltage it needs, the girlies will keep riding the bow rail. ;)

shadow
03-31-2006, 07:30 PM
first hand with Froggy's setup out here. He was on the lake for 3 days without hitting a charger and he's got more stereo than I do. Now I just need to find some caps. :D :D :D
Come on now Jordy, was it 3 days?

shadow
03-31-2006, 07:32 PM
Call it what you want Oompa. I watched Wes pound his stereo, with a bigger draw, all day, after 2 days before without a visit to the charger, ;)
Or was it 2 Days? :D

Havasu Hangin'
03-31-2006, 07:44 PM
But I'm pulling 3 batteries out that won't run the stereo all day in favor of 2 that will, without the need for a generator. I fired the stereo up today and it sounds like it did with the Optimas. From what I can tell, the stereo cares about total voltage and output amperage, not if it's coming from 37 12 volts and a cap or 4 3 volts running in series. As long as it's seeing the voltage it needs, the girlies will keep riding the bow rail. ;)
Now mr. Science...you should know about Ohm's Law? It's not always about volts. What happens when you "ass ass tittie" song comes on, and your sub amp asks those ghetto batteries for 150 amps, but they only deliver 130 amps?
Can you hear the difference? It probably depends on who's listening.
I guess I could never figure out why people spend so much money on their boats and audio equipment, only to go with ghetto 6 volts. Maybe those are the people who buy a Ferarri, but go put Pep Boys tires on it "cuz they last longer"...lol.

Jordy
03-31-2006, 07:57 PM
Or was it 2 Days? :D
Hey Shadow, it's called math mixed in with a wee bit of reading comprehension. He was out 2 days before he came to Pleasant and then rocked it all day (1 day) for a total of 3 days and I can guarantee he's got more amp draw than I've got in mine. Rewired mine today and it seems to hit even harder than it did with 3 12 volts. :D
I'll let the girls on the bow rail be the judge this weekend. Worst case, I'll add 2 more and be able to go a couple weekends without a charger and have more amps available than I need. ;).
What happens when you "ass ass tittie" song comes on, and your sub amp asks those ghetto batteries for 150 amps, but they only deliver 130 amps?
Simple, I just add a cap and it's all good. :notam:

Havasu Hangin'
03-31-2006, 08:03 PM
Simple, I just add a cap and it's all good. :notam:
Well, if one is good...five must be better!

HCS
03-31-2006, 08:06 PM
OK, here's my typical smart ass comment.
I use two AA Duracells.

Jordy
03-31-2006, 08:33 PM
Well, if one is good...five must be better!
Absolutely. Girls, Goose, beers, engines, vacation days. Way better. :D :D :D

HTRDLNCN
03-31-2006, 08:48 PM
Similar to the ones i'm running.expect mine are sealed.Originally from a submarine.Weight is a factor,mine are about 160lbs each.Not out to win any races though.
Sweet!
And you can even do some arc welding if you get
bored out on the water with those puppies!