PDA

View Full Version : need engine specs.

lghtnin33
10-05-2001, 06:39 PM
Hello all, I was refered over to you from my outdrive friends, they said that you guys were excellent motor builders which i dont doubt in the least.My delema is I was needing to know if any of you could tell me where i can find out how to marinize a car or truck motor.I am needing the internal specs. and clearances of what makes a marine motor different from an automobile engine.And to make this problem even more difficult a FORD to top it all off.Any info on this subject would be most helpful, thanks in advance.
lghtnin33

superdave013
10-06-2001, 12:15 AM
go to the v-drive fourm and ask 058. He's a ford guy that is in the know!

ponponracing
10-06-2001, 08:14 PM
He buddy, you are asking the enginebuilders to give you their receipts. Sorry, I don't want to loose my job. And if I tell you specs, you use them and for any reason you loose your motor, I don't think you will be proud of me...

lghtnin33
10-09-2001, 04:58 PM
Sorry, ponponracing did not mean to put all the marine engine builders out of a job.I was only asking for ford specs. in a virtual world of fat block chevys.I do not intend to start a manufacturing plant of marine engines or I would'nt have had to ask for marine motor specs. And if you are that worried about losing your job or money why do you even support this forum?,because it is loaded with tips that help boaters save time and money.

ponponracing
10-10-2001, 04:47 AM
I support this forum to help people that are trying to get out of trouble, or try to avoid it. But when you talk about building a complete motor, it's a different deal.
It's like a student pilot asking how to drive a space shuttle, I mean you ask for informations that may take you many years to find by yourself, or to receive from someone else and understand. And after you receive all knowledge, nothing tells you will apply it properly.
Yeah, you're probably right, I should probably not be on this forum

DetroitJim
10-11-2001, 06:17 AM
Well, here's my opinion and who cares what anyone else thinks, says, or does. It doesn't bother me in the least. Anyway, the engine does not know or care who's name is on the valve covers. Rod and Main bearing clearance is no different than any other performance application, about 0.002 to 0.003 is fine. Do not run tight clearances as used for a low rpm stock motor. Piston clearance is usually increased by 0.001 on a marine engine due to colder operating temperatures. Top ring gaps should be a few thou big, keep valve guides on the loose side of stock specs. No narrow valve seats either. Brass freeze plugs, marine carb, distributor and starter, thats it. Go have fun in your boat.
Jim

superdave013
10-11-2001, 07:40 AM
So what type of engine are you building?? I could send you the build sheets for a few engines the show just about everything. Even part #'s. But as ponponracing told you, you will have to apply it correctly. I have made mistakes and fired up a new engine just to hear it eat it's self. Oh is the learning curve costly! And I am still learning more every time!

superdave013
10-11-2001, 07:41 AM
Opps, i only have build sheets on big bolck chevys.

fryzll
10-11-2001, 09:31 AM
Jeez ponpon, nobody is asking you to give em a warranty, they are just asking a few simple questions so lighten up a little bud. I have read some of your post and it seems that you do give off some negative vibes at times. So I guess if if you dont want to give any advise or even a good word then dont even reply to his question, simple as that. We learn by taking advise and making mistakes which we have made, and if we dont make that mistake again then guess what? we learned something.
lghtnin33, DetroitJim is correct about the clearences on the bearings and pistons. If you use a good performance machine shop then the can really help you out when you get the block and crank machined, most of them will give out that "TOP SECRET" info without a secret hand shake http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif There are some really knowlegeable people on this board so you shouldnt have any prob gettin good advice.Good luck on it.
Chris

ponponracing
10-11-2001, 10:05 AM
May you didn't pick it the way I tried to say it but I was trying to answer kind of a funny way. But I guess my sense of humor was not expressed the right way this time.
What I tried to say is that people wrote books about how to build performance motor, and lghtnin33 was looking for a quick answer that might need 300 pages to answer.
By the way, I don't fell I have engines tricks to hide. I'm not a racer who developed something special to win everything that is called racing, I'm just an engine builder that try to put performance motors together the right way. If you want my "tricks", find one of my engines somewhere and take it apart, everything is there.

10-11-2001, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the complement SuperDave, I'm not a pro engine builder but I have built many engines for myself and others, almost all Fords. Before any advise can be dispensed the builder will need to know what the intended use is and what the owner expects from his engine. There is no sense in using an $800.00 set of pistons and custom set of rods for a engine that won't see the high side of 3K. but you would be surprised how many think this is nessessary just because of what the customer is putting it in. On the flip side of that there is always the guy who wants to spend as little as possible for an engine that he wants to spin it 8K, run 10s, get 28 mpg and lives for 150000 mi. all for the $900.00 his wife gave him to spend. As far as any "tricks" are concerned there are none. Common sense and the best parts money can buy combined with quality machine work and attention to details upon assembly will get you an engine that you will be happy with and perform up to your expectations.

lghtnin33
10-11-2001, 05:31 PM
Hello all,
I really appreciate all the information each of you have given me.DetroitJim those specs. were exactly what i was looking for because of the cold water cooling system.THANK YOU!Superdave013 I bought an older boat(sea ray srv193) with the Ford 5.0 in it, and am really limited to block space by design of the bilge area.So to make the best of my situation I have decided to go back in with a Ford 351 Windsor because I have access to several good used blocks and will get a few more cubes to boot. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif Thanks for your eagerness to help me with the build sheets!

lghtnin33
10-11-2001, 06:43 PM
Hey Fryzll, thanks for your support.You are absolutly right about mistakes we all make, live and learn from our self and others.I am only a novice/hobby motor builder, with a couple of friends who build race motors.One is a machinist that races circle track and the other is a mechanic that builds 1/4 mile motors.I have learned a lot from both of them about how to make a motor perform in different situations on the street or track but they duck and run when it comes to "marine" motors.Just lack of experience with boats on their part,they are like ponponracing though, about marine motor specs.Because if I don't apply it in the right way I will not be happy, but im going to live and learn and help others by my mistakes and have a great time doing it.Thanks again guys!P.S.if you guys ever need advice in electricity give me a shout that is my field of expertise. "cause if it's not blown it sucks" http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
later!

ponponracing
10-11-2001, 08:53 PM
058, you talk nice. Common sense look good to me.

fryzll
10-11-2001, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by lghtnin33:
P.S.if you guys ever need advice in electricity give me a shout that is my field of expertise.
Can you set my meter up yo run backwards so SDG&E owes me money!! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
Chris

fryzll
10-11-2001, 09:19 PM
damn, I keep hitting reply w/ quote instead of edit, it all sounds simple on paper http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
Chris
[This message has been edited by fryzll (edited October 11, 2001).]

fryzll
10-11-2001, 09:26 PM
WHOOPS http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif sorry, my bad ;D