PDA

View Full Version : should voting be mandatory?

crownline79
04-02-2004, 05:37 PM
I am doing a paper in my gov class and I need some public opinion. Do you think voting should be mandatory? Why or why not? Don't hold back.

twistedpair
04-02-2004, 05:43 PM
No way. If you don't care enough to vote, then don't. The worst vote is the uninformed vote.

RiverToysJas
04-02-2004, 05:44 PM
I have often thought of starting a website call "don't just vote". MTV has ruined more than Havasu. I blame Rock the Vote for Clinton.
Please don't just vote because it's cool. Vote because you've read and understand the issues! Vote because you understand what you're doing and who you're appointing to give your views in Washington! Remember these people make the laws you must live by. ;)
So to answer your question, NO.
RTJas :D

riverbound
04-02-2004, 05:46 PM
No... Because a lot of people do not know enough to make the right decision. If it becomes mandatory some people will just pick someone because it was the first name on the list or because they liked the name or some othe reason.The decision will not be based on the political platform. Let the people that are knowledgeable make the choices, or go out become knowledgable about what is being voted on.

v-drive
04-02-2004, 05:48 PM
Wow, being as old as I am it is a natural thing. If it was mandatory you could possibly have some idiots voting that didn't know or didn't care. I think the way it is now is better because at least you know that the people who are voting are informed and they do care. I could also be full of shit. :D v-drive

MudPumper
04-02-2004, 05:50 PM
I agree whith what was posted above. Don't vote unless you can vote in an educated manor.

crownline79
04-02-2004, 05:53 PM
Do you know in Austrialia you are fined if you don't vote. Do you

RiverToysJas
04-02-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by crownline79
Do you know in Austrialia you are fined if you don't vote. Do you think it would force people to be more aware of politicial issues?
No people would bitch, moan, complain, and find loop holes. AND/OR They would (as I would) view it as something the government is forcing them to do. This would breed resentment.
Won't happen anyway, not w/o a vote, and it wouldn't pass IMO.
RTJas :D

ratso
04-02-2004, 06:08 PM
I look at voting kind of like I look at jury duty...I'd find some way to get out of it.

twistedpair
04-02-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by ratso
I look at voting kind of like I look at jury duty...I'd find some way to get out of it.
Well I hope you never bitch about who's running the government, cuz if you don't vote, we don't care.

Caribbean Queen
04-02-2004, 06:47 PM
The inconvenience of going to a polling booth is a nominal obligation when you compare it to mandatory education, mandatory taxes, car registration etc. There are some personal obligations to living in a civilized society. Now I do believe in small government, privatization where appropriate, lower taxes and minimal government intervention in peoples lives but I believe mandatory voting would assist to eliminate some of the more ridiculous agenda’s I see pushed in America at the sufferance of the majority.

ratso
04-02-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by twistedpair
Well I hope you never bitch about who's running the government, cuz if you don't vote, we don't care.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there just a bunch of lying worthless pricks running the government...overall.
I have better things to do with my time instead of bitching about something that will never get better during my lifetime...;)

Caribbean Queen
04-02-2004, 06:52 PM
Yes there are “donky votes", and yes there would be people voting who do not follow politics but these are minutia “problems”. Random “donkey votes” just balance the statistics. When a society is expected to vote they do become more aware of politics since it comes up in conversation more. In Australia, when I was visiting,(where it is manditory to vote) I could talk with almost anyone in any socio-economic demographic and they could have a fluent conversation on politics. Some would be more interested than others obviously, but it becomes part of day to day life. I see a very distinct lack of interest in politics in all sectors of the community in America. If mandatory voting was introduced would this lack of interest change? Assessing the impact it has had on Australia I would expect more interest in the American political process.

Caribbean Queen
04-02-2004, 07:09 PM
A democracy where half of the citizens sit back and say "no thanks" isn't a democracy at all. We as the people choose the outcome. If you are not voting you are handing your vote to those "lying, worthless, pricks" you speak of, bacause that is one less vote against them.

ratso
04-02-2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Caribbean Queen
A democracy where half of the citizens sit back and say "no thanks" isn't a democracy at all. We as the people choose the outcome. If you are not voting you are handing your vote to those "idiots" you speak of, bacause that is one less vote against them.
I'm sorry but I think they are all idiots...like voting for the lesser of two evils.

572Daytona
04-02-2004, 08:01 PM
Only if they allowed you to vote AGAINST someone and any candidate who netted a negative total was not allowed to run again.
Democracy is about the people having a choice and having the choice not to vote is still a choice.

Kachina26
04-02-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by crownline79
Do you know in Austrialia you are fined if you don't vote. Do you think it would force people to be more aware and educated about politicial issues? No, I don't believe that people would become better educated on political issues if they were forced to vote. However, I would be in favor of people having to pass some sort of course in the way our goverment works before being allowed to vote. But back to your original question, no voting should not be mandatory. If you don't care enough to vote, then I don't want you voting!

dc96819
04-02-2004, 09:09 PM
No,i pay taxes to be free so why should i be forced to Vote.If some paid me i might:)

CEO
04-02-2004, 09:12 PM
This is the U.S.A. We have choices in everything except death and taxes!!:)

quiet riot
04-02-2004, 09:22 PM
I don't think people should be forced to vote but maybe (I think like in switzerland or somewhere like that?) everyone should have to go thru basic training or something of the sort when they come of age. I think a minimum of a 2 week stint is required for every able bodied citizen and something about gun ownership/training (I don't think I want idiots required to own guns here though, we have enough of them already.) But the training and such for basic service I think would be good. Not long enough to disrupt the paths people choose such as college/jobs etc, but enough to get everyone involved in being a citizen.
jd

LASERRAY
04-02-2004, 09:45 PM
No. But don't bitch if you don't vote. Although belittling those that make this mistake is one of life's little pleasures.:p

CA Stu
04-02-2004, 11:50 PM
Hell no it shouldn't be mandatory. If you just want to ride the bus, chill out.
Thanks
CA Stu
PS With the amount of taxes I pay, I should get 2 votes.

mickeyfinn
04-03-2004, 12:36 AM
I would definitely vote NO!!. I would even go one step further and say that anyone who lives off a non-contributory government fund should not be allowed to vote during the year they are drawing it....(read that as welfare)

vanquish
04-04-2004, 12:54 PM
Out of the 172 countries for which figures are available, this country ranks a sorry 139th - outranking only less developed nations. There are approximately 186 million eligible voters in the United States, in the last presidential election, only sixty percent of the eligible voters, and eighty-five percent of the registered voters, went to the polls. Meanwhile, 75 million people who were eligible to vote did not do so.
Australia, strictly enforce their mandatory voting law. In 1922, voter turnout in Australia went down to fifty-eight percent. (Remember, our current rate is only sixty percent!) As a result, government officials became concerned. By 1924, they had made voting compulsory. Now Australia has regularly enjoys heavy voter turnout, even though the sanction for not voting is nominal. Australians make a habit of voting; Americans do not.
As the percentage of lever-pullers continues to decline, it's going to eventually be just the candidates' friends, families and people from their secret second lives who even bother to show up. You know -- like park league softball.
People who vote, and participate in the political process, tend to participate in other social outlets from the church to voluntary originations. In short, they become better citizens.
Most Excuses not to vote are the ballots and issues are complex and confusing, that it's not convenient, that the person didn't register in time, or that the person didn't like any of the candidates. Primary reason people do not vote is that they do not perceive it as being in their self-interest. but It is far less restrictive than requiring us, for example, to attend school; to serve on juries, possibly for weeks or months at a time; to pay taxes; or to serve in the military when drafted.
You know if you don't vote currently, if you were made to do so you would definatly be more aware of you political surroundings. Think of how many people dont now, if they did vote how much of an impact it would make. Special interest groups have the controle of OUR country. We should take back that controle by taking part in the elections as a Country rather than a select few. The way to get America to do just this is to make voting mandatory.

vanquish
04-04-2004, 01:33 PM
Alot of times there are two bunk candidates. This problem could be easily solved by adding a space for the voter to register the sentiment "No Candidate Acceptable." Then the NCA vote should be tabulated - and weighed. If NCA wins, then no one has been elected, and the election law should provide for another race to quickly follow. For this to be changed it would require a majority rule, so EVERYONE would have to go vote for it.

vanquish
04-04-2004, 01:35 PM
Another thing that should be changed that I think would bring in mor voters would be that a brief outline of the candidates vievs and what he "says" he will do for this country should be included in the ballot. Some people just don't have time to keep up with the caimpaigns.
Do you think these views are totaly out of line?