PDA

View Full Version : Cold turkey

dirtman
04-02-2004, 06:59 PM
Ok, I have to share!! I've quit smoking, and I'm on day six. ( cold turkey ). Days one thru five weren't too bad, but I'll tell you what, I'm finding that day six SUCKS ASS!!!
Anybody else have any input on this? (please don't tell me it gets worse, because if it gets worse, somebody at work is gonna DIE !!!! )

ratso
04-02-2004, 07:03 PM
It gets a lot worse...:D

hoolign
04-02-2004, 07:05 PM
I quit, "quitting" last year:p smokin one right now.....pssssssss...
fooooooooo:yuk: laser therepy this week:eek:

Mandelon
04-02-2004, 07:06 PM
Go masturbate, I bet it helps. ;)

ratso
04-02-2004, 07:07 PM
I've been trying to quit coke (coca cola) for years, drink way too many. At times I've actually gone about a week but I have never been able to give them up completely. I actually made it three days in a row last week...and I'm sitting here right now with a 32 ouncer right in front of me. Never been hooked on cigarettes but I do have an occasional cigar about once every week or two.

ratso
04-02-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Mandelon
Go masturbate, I bet it helps. ;)
All that did was give me nice forearms.:D

Mandelon
04-02-2004, 07:20 PM
Like Popeye, with really hairy palms. LOL:D

ratso
04-02-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Mandelon
Like Popeye, with really hairy palms. LOL:D
...with an anchor tattoed on them.:D

betty boop
04-02-2004, 07:31 PM
hmmmm, can we see your pipes????
http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/sport/sport-smiley-003.gif

ratso
04-02-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by betty boop
hmmmm, can we see your pipes????
http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/sport/sport-smiley-003.gif
Which ones?:D

betty boop
04-02-2004, 07:56 PM
you have more than one????????????????????????????????????
http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/sprachlos/speechless-smiley-040.gif

v-drive
04-02-2004, 08:30 PM
I quit cold turkey 25 years ago. find something (like gum) to take its place for now. It's so worth it. Good Luck!
:D :cool: v-drive

dc96819
04-02-2004, 08:37 PM
The best way to quit is shock treatment:D

dirtman
04-02-2004, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by v-drive
I quit cold turkey 25 years ago. find something (like gum) to take its place for now. It's so worth it. Good Luck!
:D :cool: v-drive
25 years.......that's 9125 days ago..............ohmygod!!!!
Oh well, thanks people....I'll keep at it here, looking forward to feeling better!!

Lakeshow
04-02-2004, 09:25 PM
Day 5!

LASERRAY
04-02-2004, 09:38 PM
I quit smokeing on January 15, 2000 as part of my Milinium New Years resolution. Why the 15th of the month instead of the 1st you ask? Because I started the Welbutrin (also sold as Zantac) on the 1st of the month and continued to smoke until the nicotine cravings subsided. That stuff was amazing. By day 15 I had very little craving and the satisfaction from lighting-up was almost nill. Drinking without smoking WAS probably the hardest part of the whole process but I can now say that I'm smoke-free with no craving at all. Good luck, it does get easier.:cool:

TRG
04-02-2004, 09:53 PM
i smoked for almost 10 yrs. and one day had the urge to quit!
i would have to say that if you have made it for one day,...try two, and so on! if you've made it for 1 week,...try two, i know it sounds stupid, but ive no willpower and that is what has gotten me throughfive years of not smoking! they say it the hardest thing to quit! but you can do it! after 2 mo. the cravings subsided drasticaly!
good luck!! todd

FMluvswater
04-02-2004, 10:29 PM
I feel for ya dirtman. I quit on my birthday 7 years ago.
Beware of threes in terms of milestones ... 3rd day (you escaped that one) 6th day 9 th day 3rd week 6th month (you get the idea) just be prepared to get urges and plan ahead how to deal with them. Keep your mouth and your fingers busy when a craving/urge hits until it passes.
Be proud of your success how ever long you are smoke-free and even if you do slip up and have one; don't let it be a reason to throw in the towel. Mistakes are okay. :)
I'm still a nicotine addict I know I am; but it is out of my system. I know if I have one I'll be trying to make up for lost time and end up smoking a whole pack in one sitting, lol ... sigh ... ok no not so lol :( damn that is really pathetic.
I'm not a reformed ex-smoker ... I like second hand smoke and I still miss my cigs sometimes. :eek: :o
My main reasons for quitting were/are for my son, for my health and because I NEVER want to have to quit smoking EVER AGAIN! It would be inevitable if I start again at some point I'd end up having to quit again .. and quite frankly .... no ****ing way. :D

LASERRAY
04-02-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by FMluvswaterbabe
I feel for ya dirtman. I quit on my birthday 7 years ago.
Beware of threes in terms of milestones ... 3rd day (you escaped that one) 6th day 9 th day 3rd week 6th month (you get the idea) just be prepared to get urges and plan ahead how to deal with them. Keep your mouth and your fingers busy when a craving/urge hits until it passes.
Be proud of your success how ever long you are smoke-free and even if you do slip up and have one; don't let it be a reason to throw in the towel. Mistakes are okay. :)
I'm still a nicotine addict I know I am; but it is out of my system. I know if I have one I'll be trying to make up for lost time and end up smoking a whole pack in one sitting, lol ... sigh ... ok no not so lol :( damn that is really pathetic.
I'm not a reformed ex-smoker ... I like second hand smoke and I still miss my cigs sometimes. :eek: :o
My main reasons for quitting were/are for my son, for my health and because I NEVER want to have to quit smoking EVER AGAIN! It would be inevitable if I start again at some point I'd end up having to quit again .. and quite frankly .... no ****ing way. :D Exactly, Quitters Suck!:D
But seriously, quitting is the worst part of smoking. If they told me tomorrow that smoking was good for you, I'd buy a carton!:D I must admit that I still do enjoy the smell of a cig, but will never allow myself to be ruled by cigs ever again. It really does dictate how you manage your time. Thinking back, my days revolved around my smoke breaks.:(

Doug H.
04-02-2004, 11:37 PM
I have the solution if want to hear it ?
Seriously though if you REALLY want to quit you will, don't kid yourself and say one last puff or this is it my last pack, this will only happen on your terms when you are 100% ready to give it up completely and know in your heart that you will not smoke again, it's all about "desire" and "drive" if you don't have either you will not succeed.
It's really simple, when your ready you will quit. The key word is "ready"
This also aplies to weight loss diets, i don't believe in diets, just get your ass in the gym and work your ass off and live healthier.
It really is simple (mind over matter) :) :) :)

CARRERA
04-03-2004, 10:32 AM
After smoking for 34 years, I quit 7 years ago, for some reason I didn't have any problems quiting (this time) and have not had a smoke at all....................

Back Forty
04-03-2004, 10:56 AM
I had been trying to quit for several years and was totally weak. The last week of January this year I ran out one sunday and decided to continue working on what I was busy with. That was the last day but it was never easy. Just remember that the same "pain" that drives you insane and consumes your thoughts are the same feelings that will beat you up with anything you try to quit. I quit sugar shortly after the smokes.
To my surprise, sugar was far worse to quit than smokes. I couldn't even think of smoking because I was to consumed trying to fight the urge to get some sugar in the system.
The desire to smoke never goes away, you just get used to it poking you in the head.
I can't believe that I can drink and not be totally weak about smoking but it is true.:wink:
I agree with doug h. 100%

blown428fe
04-03-2004, 11:09 AM
Ive tried three times and by the time 10:00 at nite comes Im ready to freak out. Cant sit still or anything. My wife quit when she became pregnant with our first son.

Mandelon
04-03-2004, 11:24 AM
Well there you go, Dirtman. Just get pregnant. Everything will seem easy after that!!! :D :D

JetBoatRich
04-03-2004, 11:56 AM
Never had the smoking habit:D so not sure what you are going through.
Good luck and keep the will power to say no:D

dirtman
04-05-2004, 04:40 PM
Well, thanks for all the kind words. It's been a week and a half and things are getting better! I'm kinda edgey and have developed a mild case of tourettes syndrom:D , but other than that it's all good.

TRG
04-05-2004, 04:43 PM
"TWITCHING" is cool:rolleyes: but dont start yelling out profanities, someone might get insulted! LOL

SoCalOffshore
04-05-2004, 08:25 PM
I smoked 2 packs of Marlboro box a day and quit just over 6 months ago. The cravings will pass. take the pill or patch for cravings. It does help.

TRG
04-05-2004, 08:49 PM
You know!...you could always mainline some black tar heroine,...that will always cure the cravings too!
just a thought.

canuck1
04-05-2004, 08:56 PM
I'm havin a couple for ya

Her454
04-05-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by FMluvswaterbabe
.. and quite frankly .... no ****ing way. :D
LMAO! Good for you FM.:D :D

FMluvswater
04-05-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Her454
LMAO! Good for you FM.:D :D
:D :D Thanks. :)

Blown 472
04-05-2004, 09:16 PM
I like mine on wheat with some mayo and swiss cheese please.

LASERRAY
04-05-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Blown 472
I like mine on wheat with some mayo and swiss cheese please. LOL! You ****ing Guy! You're killing me! Thanks for exuming the "Obvious" play on words from this thread. Someone had to do it. It was just a matter of time, you Focker!:D

FMluvswater
04-05-2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Blown 472
I like mine on wheat with some mayo and swiss cheese please.
I like it on multigrain, with Miracle Whip and cranberry sauce. :)

Kilrtoy
04-05-2004, 10:00 PM
Smoking sucks,
But just think how it is going to feel, when you get grossed out by the smell.

HCS
04-05-2004, 10:01 PM
I'm trying to quit getting drunk and falling down in the gutter.
The neighbors keep looking at me funny.:(

LASERRAY
04-05-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
Smoking sucks,
But just think how it is going to feel, when you get grossed out by the smell. Grossed-out by the smell? Wait a minute! What are we talking about................................?:p

Kilrtoy
04-05-2004, 10:18 PM
The smell of burnt dried leaves

Garrddogg
04-06-2004, 05:58 AM
Its been a little over three years for me and I still ALLWAYS carry gum in my pocket. every little thing helps. also go easy on coffee and alkehol !

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-06-2004, 06:29 AM
checkin in to see how our trooper is doing. I hope very well. congrats on quitting. keep up the great work. take it day by day. ;)

Desert Rat
04-06-2004, 06:35 AM
It's a habit; you get in the habit of having a smoke after lunch/dinner or during your break etc. What I found useful to me was to change up my schedule. After dinner I would get right up from the table and take the dog for a long walk. It was enough for the craving to subside. I had a little extra help to be honest though, I had to take my oldest son to the hospital for a severe asthma attack and the doctor asked me if I smoked as my son sat there with drool trickling down from the nasty tasting meds he was having to inhale. I replied yes and she replied that what I am seeing right now is my fault. Talk about GUILT!! I quite on the spot. That was 15 years ago!

Her454
04-06-2004, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by RiverDave
That being said.. I'm going to take another run at quitting this week.
RD
He's preparing us ahead of time for the carnage of whatever gets in his path this week. ;) J/K RD and good luck. :)

OGShocker
04-06-2004, 08:42 AM
I quit once, I found I only wanted to smoke when I drank. When I started drinking at 6 AM just so I could have a smoke I figured it was better to just start smoking again.
I smoke 5 smokes a day on average...unless I am boating, then it more like a pack a day.

Scream
04-06-2004, 10:23 AM
Goood Luck!
I had typed this 8000 word oration on what a great thing it was to quit and what ever I touched sent it to post oblivion...
1. Quit for the right reasons. Quit for yourself and mean it. If you're quitting for a friend, lover, relative, you're not going to succeed. Make sure you want to quit and it will take hold.
2. Warn you close family and friends that you will become a bit of an Ass when the residual nicotine wares off. Happens every time.
3. Talk to your doctor. He can help you get through the tough parts with meds. Nicotine is said to be a harder addiction to break than any narcotic. When you quit smoking you're metabolism changes, your sleep paterns are disrupted, and it causes you major problems that can lead to depression or worse.
4. Drink lots of water, this will help keep you're system flushed out and partly will keep your mind off of the jones's you'll have.
5. Enjoy the fresh air. Your sense of smell will be extremely heightened and you'll smell your neighbors dog fart in the middle of the night. It's a curse.
Again, Good luck. I've been smoke free for 6 years now and can't imagine why I started in the first place.
Scream <----------full of good advice

FMluvswater
04-06-2004, 11:22 AM
You know one of the things that helped me decide to quit was that it really irked me and threatened my fiercely independent streak that cigarettes were controlling me. I was insulted that I couldn't ignore the call to light up even if I was busy doing something fun or important. Made me mad. I copped an attitude of stubborness. Don't really want to go back to cigarettes determining my moods for me (I have enough fun with that on my own! :D ). There are people (and this bugs the shit out of me) who can smoke or not smoke and it doesn't matter either way to them- they are not addicted. If I could smoke like that I probably still would. :( I know I couldn't get away with take it or leave it. Disappointed to know that about myself but it does keep me from giving in when I sometimes think I miss smoking. Anyone who has successfully quit for even a day has proven to themselves they can take back control anytime they decide to even if it does feel uncomfortable.

dirtman
04-06-2004, 05:47 PM
I know what you mean FM. I worked with a fellow that didn't smoke before 3 pm coffee time. If I could've done that I wouldn't have smoked at all!! Still doing ok, getting easier all the time. You guys are right about attitude, "why should these smokes control MY LIFE!!! ":yuk:

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-06-2004, 05:50 PM
hang in there. you are doing awesome and another thing. you do not smell . ;)

sam pioske
04-06-2004, 07:50 PM
Guys & Dolls: Please stop If you do. My Bro. Died 2 years ago , Partialy from smoking, And then his wife my favorite sister-inlaw 3 mounths ago from smoking I quit 15 years ago burnt a hole in my fav. shirt, pissed me off. You can do it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sam