PDA

View Full Version : Scary Day in the Classroom Today!

TheEduKATor
04-02-2004, 09:12 PM
In five years of teaching today had to be the biggest scare.
One of my students asked if she could use the restroom so I told her to go ahead. Ten seconds later a male student yells for me and says something is wrong with her. I was at my desk helping a student and looked up to see her near the door wobbling holding her head. I ran over to her and caught her as she was falling down and lost consciousness. Her eyes rolled back and she looked lifeless. She wasn't responding to any of my calls so I began to worry.
The students were great though, I quickly and calmly asked a student to go get the nurse and he immediately bolted for her. I asked another student to call the main office and tell them to call 911, while a few students helped me stabilize her and cool her body temp down because she started to burn up and going into little episodes of seizures. What seemed like forever was only about 3-5 minutes until the nurses got their.
The rest of the students stood back to give her air and all were praying that she would be alright. I'm never supposed to leave the room unattended but I told the kids to please stay in the class while I rushed over with the student, the nurse and personnel so they could take her to the hospital. I was gone maybe 10 minutes tops and when I got back to the class, they were all huddled holding hands and praying with the lights off.
I assured them she was going to be fine because I was assured by the nurses and medical personnel that she was going to be fine. She had regained consciousness as they were ready to take her away. She was able to remember her name, the day, and the events of the episode. She said thank you to me because all she could remember was hearing my voice telling her to hang in there, you're gonna be okay and how I didn't sound panicked. I'm not going to lie, I was scared off my ass, but I had to stay calm for the kids and do what they train us to do in these situations. It was a very powerful site seeing how quickly and bravely these students responded, I told her not to thank me, she has 40 of her classmates to thank when she gets back and is healthy. Parents, give your children a little extra hug and kiss when they leave the house for school or any reason. Sorry for the long post

summerlove
04-02-2004, 09:17 PM
and just to think, there was a time you wanted to quit! Imagine - what if you weren't there to handle the situation as calmly as you did - you made the right decision, not only today, but with your vocation as well.
Congratulations, and hopefully the young lady will be fine.

CEO
04-02-2004, 09:18 PM
Great Job, Edu.. My daughter has had 2 of those damn seizers. I carried her into the hospital, limp and basically well.. gone.
I understand exactly how you felt. They helicoptered her over to Loma Linda for 13 days. Thank God she is fine and is 7 years older now. The Doctors said she would outgrow these things. But when we go to the River we make sure she drinks water and more water and more. How old was the student?? My daughter was 5 when she had her first
CEO

redneckgirl
04-02-2004, 09:23 PM
That is a sad but awesome story... do you teach at a public or christian school? What grade do you teach high or jr high? I hope our children can have a cool/hard working teacher like yourself... So far our children have had good teachers...1st & 4th grade... :) :)
RNG

TheEduKATor
04-02-2004, 09:23 PM
She is 16 and her parents said this has never happen to her. I called her parents a few hours ago to follow up and they were waiting on the results from blood work. They said she has been stabilized. :) That was the scarist part, holding a body that was completely limp and felt so lifeless. We go through training during the summer but you just don't think you will ever have to use.

TheEduKATor
04-02-2004, 09:26 PM
I teach at a public high school, Ms. EduKATor is a public elementary school teacher, currently teaching 5th grade.

CEO
04-02-2004, 09:27 PM
"lifeless" is a perfect way to discribe it. Once again Props to you for thinking fast on your feet:D :D :D :D :D

RobR.
04-02-2004, 09:29 PM
My wife teaches 4th grade and they had it happen twice last year.
The paramedics told her to make sure to hold the kid's head because during the seizures they will bang their head against the ground and it could cause more damage than the seizure.

TheEduKATor
04-02-2004, 09:31 PM
summerlove
Your right staying was the best move. It wasn't the kids that made me think about leaving the profession. I love them little rug rats, it was mainly because of the Adminstration or lack there of. I'm able to do a little business on the side with my brother and stay in the classroom, so it's all worked out.

redneckgirl
04-02-2004, 09:36 PM
Great job!!! Public HS must be hard to do... Thank you for your and your wifes dedication to our children... I know you don't teach our children... but I take off work every week to volunteer in our kids classes and teaching is not a easy job... no matter what people say about our educational system it is only good if the parent help reinforce what the teacher are trying to teach them... :D :D :D
RNG

TheEduKATor
04-02-2004, 09:37 PM
RobR,
For some reason that was my first instinct. I held her from her neck throughout the whole ordeal because I was afraid of her hiting it while she was falling down and I didn't want her to hit it during the seizures. I can't imagine going through it twice, especially with the little ones in 4th grade.

summerlove
04-02-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by TheEduKATor
summerlove
Your right staying was the best move. It wasn't the kids that made me think about leaving the profession. I love them little rug rats, it was mainly because of the Adminstration or lack there of. I'm able to do a little business on the side with my brother and stay in the classroom, so it's all worked out.
cool...happy to hear!

RobR.
04-02-2004, 09:47 PM
It shook her up pretty bad. When the paramedics arrived our duaghter who is in first grade saw them going inot mom's classroom and she freaked out. I thought I was going to have to go to the school and pick up both of them.

TheEduKATor
04-02-2004, 09:56 PM
RobR.
Yeah it definately shakes you up. The students were relieved afterwards when I told them she was okay, but some were still a little shaken up. We all went outside into the quad and I bought some sodas and snacks to calm their nerves a little bit. The sugar calmed my nerves.
Elementary school teachers are definately a rare breed. I couldn't do it. Then again, Ms. EduKATor says she could not do high school. I hope all worked out with the two students who had seizures in your wife's class.

C-2
04-02-2004, 10:29 PM
Props to you Eduaktor for keeping your cool and for your passion of teaching.
C2<----still cannot figure out why it's acceptable to pay mechanics $75 an hour to fix our cars...while paying our teachers only $20 per hour to shape their futures.
Nonetheless, thank you Edukator! :)

welk2party
04-02-2004, 10:41 PM
Good Job Edu.! We need more like you. My mother in-law is an elementary teacher. You guys do this world a service greater than most. Keep it up!
Hope the girl is OK.

CA Stu
04-02-2004, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by TheEduKATor
It was a very powerful site seeing how quickly and bravely these students responded, I told her not to thank me, she has 40 of her classmates to thank when she gets back and is healthy.
Good going there stud!
Well done, and Kudos to you for sure!
Cheers
CA Stu

Doug H.
04-02-2004, 11:56 PM
Kudos to all educators, before i got hurt restraining a violent child i too was in the classroom doing this on a daily basis with special needs kids, some with severe behaviors and some very violent.
6 years latter and three major surgeries (from these kids) i won't step into a classroom soon, my life and family are to important to me. but i still coach H.S. sports which i love trying to make a difference in thier lives.
This post isn't about me but for all you people who teach in some capacity and mostly that involves the parents (me and you)
we are all teachers and mentors for many walks of life......thanks.

DeltaSigBoater
04-03-2004, 03:42 AM
having gone through CPR, First Aid, and Lifeguard trainging myself, you hope you never have to use it, but are thankful knowing you have it behind you, incase the situation arises

Mandelon
04-03-2004, 06:15 AM
Way to go, Teach. Apparently these episodes are more common than most of us think. Glad you handled it so well. :cool: :cool:

clownpuncher
04-03-2004, 06:35 PM
:D Good job.

DUNDUN
04-04-2004, 05:32 PM
Great job edu.
I'm a student in high school and if something like that happened to one of my classmates, I'm not sure I would be able to handle it as well as you and your students did. :)