PDA

View Full Version : Tips underwwater?

DryHeatOnly
04-04-2004, 10:26 PM
Would you consider running the exhaust tips underwater with an HP500? Does it muffle that beautiful V8 too sound much?
If you run 'em out of the water, what's the sound level like inside the boat. Can you have a conversation while cruisin' at say, 40-50?

GlastronGuy
04-04-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by DryHeatOnly
Would you consider running the exhaust tips underwater with an HP500? Does it muffle that beautiful V8 too sound much?
If you run 'em out of the water, what's the sound level like inside the boat. Can you have a conversation while cruisin' at say, 40-50?
I appreciate the help you offered me last night with resizing my sig. To repay you, I'd like to help you master the English language and at the same time, improve your writing skills. How about it?

DryHeatOnly
04-04-2004, 10:37 PM
Please do!
I think I see it in the thread title. All fixed. RU happy now? ;)

Outnumbered
04-04-2004, 10:39 PM
Will only make a difference at idle. Sound should be about the same on plane. It might help you pass the new sound laws--I think there will be an idle test.
BTW, did I pass the gramar test GG?
OL

Faster Daddy
04-04-2004, 10:43 PM
I had the tips on my 496 HO placed below the waterline, alot quieter when at idle speed, my wife appreciates that, but get the boat on plane they rise up out of the water and get loud! Wife likes to be able to talk wihle cruising, GGB muffler tips did the trick. Very quiet now at cruising, and very, very little top-end loss.

DryHeatOnly
04-04-2004, 10:43 PM
Well I guess I can't retitle a thread. Oh well, it was the thought that counts.

GlastronGuy
04-04-2004, 10:51 PM
Sure thing, bro.
First of all, it's spelled "underwater", not "underwwater".
(But I see you tried to edit the thread title.)
Secondly, The third sentence is a question, it should end in a question mark (?).
My tertiary observation is concerning your last sentence: 40 - 50 what?
RPM, MPG, FPS, etc. I am sure you see where I am going.
I won't even go into the ghetto use of contractions in your post.

DryHeatOnly
04-04-2004, 10:53 PM
Thanks OL and FD. I'm thinking about having this done on the new boat, but it may be too late in the process. They dropped the engine on Saturday but hadn't drilled the transom yet.

GlastronGuy
04-04-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Old Lavey
Will only make a difference at idle. Sound should be about the same on plane. It might help you pass the new sound laws--I think there will be an idle test.
BTW, did I pass the gramar test GG?
OL
Didn't look. You didn't imply that I was an idiot. Well, at least for as long as I can remember.
;)

DryHeatOnly
04-04-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by GlastronGuy
Sure thing, bro.
First of all, it's spelled "underwater", not "underwwater".
(But I see you tried to edit the thread title.)
Secondly, The third sentence is a question, it should end in a question mark (?).
My tertiary observation is concerning your last sentence: 40 - 50 what?
RPM, MPG, FPS, etc. I am sure you see where I am going.
I won't even go into the ghetto use of contractions in your post.
I'm questioning as to whether you are "jerkin' my chain" or intentionally trying to be a complete "jerk-off". I'm assuming the former. ;) True, my post included a little ghetto, if you will, but I assure you I felt the need!
Now it's true that I occasionally double type a letter, hell, I've been known to capitalize a letter following a capital letter. I suppose I have lazy fingers at times.
If you reviewed the context of my post you would find that "40-50" makes a logical reference to MPH.
and finally...you should never capitalize a word following a comma. :D
I know. I know. Never begin a sentence with the word 'and'.
;)
DHO

DryHeatOnly
04-04-2004, 11:27 PM
G'night GG. Sleep tight. :sleeping:

ROZ
04-04-2004, 11:53 PM
you should never capitalize a word following a comma. :D
Actually, your wrong. There are some instances when the first word after a comma must be capitalized; A person's name or a title for instance. Another example is when you write a sentence that has an adverb such as however that follows a semicolon and has a comma after it. The word that follows the comma should be capitalized. For example, Jane has a really nice rack and a tight ass; However, Because she is a prude, Jane will never dress sexy or flash anyone.
78Eliminaor can probably elaborate on sentence structure. He's like an English major or something..... ( too many periods is also illegal.... I guess it means that I'm reall, really, really ending my sentence) :D

Kilrtoy
04-05-2004, 12:17 AM
ROZ,
Maybe once a day , you can give us grammer tips. Hell, I sure need them!

ROZ
04-05-2004, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
ROZ,
Maybe once a day , you can give us grammer tips. Hell, I sure need them!
Wish I could, but that's the extent of my knowledge of the English language:D

Kilrtoy
04-05-2004, 12:23 AM
Still, that was good too know. Actually he doesn't need help with the grammer, as much as the spelling, BUT WHO AM I TOO TALK!:D

ROZ
04-05-2004, 12:24 AM
LMAO...

LASERRAY
04-05-2004, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
ROZ,
Maybe once a day , you can give us grammer tips. Hell, I sure need them! And tips on using the "Quote" function as well.;)

Essex502
04-05-2004, 05:47 AM
Back to the subject...my 502 MAG tested at 84dB-A with the exhaust tips exiting underwater. This passes the new CA noise laws for the J2005 standard that goes into effect on Jan 1, 2005. However, the other side of the coin....the new noise laws also specify the J1970 shoreline test which all of us the do not have exhaust exiting through the hub will fail.

manuel
04-05-2004, 06:29 AM
my bout sunds viry nece wiih 4" teps ard bowfles? Thyre holfwiy Undavattar at idie? Bilew svem plttfrom? bit wiih wimd niose amd Exheust at siy, 45-50? con nat canvirze in cunvrstlion wiihlot YILLNG?!
Reguds, mAnuel barJe

hd&boatrider
04-05-2004, 07:06 AM
Get in touch with Rivercrazy as he had his put below the water line. From what I understand you could have your swim-step dropped also which makes it easier to get back in the boat. I have the 496HO with above the line exhaust and it sounds nice and loud at idle but I am worried about noise restrictions next year. I will have to do something to quiet things down. Might as well do it now.

Essex502
04-05-2004, 07:15 AM
You guys with the 496's will definitely NOT pass next year's noise standard. Recent tests I have done using a Digital Noise Sound Meter - the 496HO with Hardin Marine silencers - 89 dB-A per the J2005 test procedure. I don't have the results unmuffled/unsilenced but the boat I tested was much loader before the Hardin silencers were added. This was for an above waterline exit.

DryHeatOnly
04-05-2004, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by ROZ
Actually, your wrong. There are some instances when the first word after a comma must be capitalized; A person's name or a title for instance. Another example is when you write a sentence that has an adverb such as however that follows a semicolon and has a comma after it. The word that follows the comma should be capitalized. For example, Jane has a really nice rack and a tight ass; However, Because she is a prude, Jane will never dress sexy or flash anyone.
78Eliminaor can probably elaborate on sentence structure. He's like an English major or something..... ( too many periods is also illegal.... I guess it means that I'm reall, really, really ending my sentence) :D
It's too bad to hear about Jane. I think we all lose in that situation. :(

DryHeatOnly
04-05-2004, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by hd&boatrider
Get in touch with Rivercrazy as he had his put below the water line. From what I understand you could have your swim-step dropped also which makes it easier to get back in the boat. I have the 496HO with above the line exhaust and it sounds nice and loud at idle but I am worried about noise restrictions next year. I will have to do something to quiet things down. Might as well do it now.
The lower swim-step would be a plus. Do you have an Aqua-step?

hd&boatrider
04-05-2004, 07:23 AM
The lower swim-step would be a plus. Do you have an Aqua-step?
Yes I do.....haven't had to climb out of the water yet though. Only had it out once and the water was too cold to get in. RC can give you more info than me. PM him and he will get back to you and help you out with some suggestions. He gave me some good ones but it was too late in the process to take advantage of most of them.

DryHeatOnly
04-05-2004, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Essex502
Back to the subject...my 502 MAG tested at 84dB-A with the exhaust tips exiting underwater. This passes the new CA noise laws for the J2005 standard that goes into effect on Jan 1, 2005. However, the other side of the coin....the new noise laws also specify the J1970 shoreline test which all of us the do not have exhaust exiting through the hub will fail.
Hopefully we'll have a few mufflers to choose from. Thanks.

DryHeatOnly
04-05-2004, 07:29 AM
Yes I do.....haven't had to climb out of the water yet though. Only had it out once and the water was too cold to get in. RC can give you more info than me. PM him and he will get back to you and help you out with some suggestions. He gave me some good ones but it was too late in the process to take advantage of most of them.
Thanks...gotta go.
(Damn, there's that ghetto again!).

hd&boatrider
04-05-2004, 07:31 AM
Make sure you get the Dana power hinges also. Will save a little room under the hatch plus they work better.

DryHeatOnly
04-05-2004, 09:56 AM
Do you mean these? :D :D
My wife insisted on 'em. How could I refuse! ;)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1519Hinges.jpg

hd&boatrider
04-05-2004, 09:59 AM
Yep...that is the power hinges. By the way....I read somewhere that you were going to take your boat out this weekend. If so it is too late to do anything about the exhaust. They probably already have it cutout for above the water line unless you told them otherwise.

DryHeatOnly
04-05-2004, 10:08 AM
Yep...that is the power hinges. By the way....I read somewhere that you were going to take your boat out this weekend. If so it is too late to do anything about the exhaust. They probably already have it cutout for above the water line unless you told them otherwise.
You're right. I stopped by this morning and sure enough, they were drilling the holes. I guess it's 'always' gonna sound good.

hd&boatrider
04-05-2004, 10:21 AM
That is something that I noticied. Going into a cove the boat sounds awesome. Just putting along around the docks and so forth it turns heads. I myself like the loud, throaty sounds.
There will be solutions for all of us by Rexone as far as the next year noise restrictions. Just do a search with Noise Restrictions and you will find posts relating to this.
Where you taking the maiden voyage anyhow?

DryHeatOnly
04-05-2004, 12:11 PM
I'll take it to Elsinore first for a quick run on Friday to make sure everything works. We'll drive it out to Needles that night and spend the day on the river & Havasu. We'll be coming back Saturday night though to spend Easter Sunday with our families. It'll be a short, but hopefully sweet, maiden voyage.
We're planning on being out the following weekend as well.

dicudmore
04-05-2004, 05:47 PM
DHO hope you have a great first outing

DryHeatOnly
04-05-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by dicudmore
DHO hope you have a great first outing
Thanks dicudmore. Hope to see you on the river soon.
Did you post under the 'where did your screenname stem from' thread? I can't figure yours out. :confused: