PDA

View Full Version : Kurt Cobain...

Phat Matt
04-05-2004, 09:01 AM
...pulled the trigger 10 years ago today.
"Kurt Cobain and his band, Nirvana, spent only three years in the public eye, and they released only three studio albums. But what he accomplished before committing suicide 10 years ago Monday at age 27 — deciding it was "better to burn out than fade away," as he quoted Neil Young in his suicide note — was remarkable."
Doesn't it seem they were around (alive) more than 3 years?

Kilrtoy
04-05-2004, 09:11 AM
He and they sucked:yuk:

HCS
04-05-2004, 09:16 AM
They had a special pull out in our local news paper today.
The artical was comparing them and their impact on music
to the Beatles. I don't freeking think so. Who do they think
their kidding?:rolleyes:

Rod-64
04-05-2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
He and they sucked:yuk:
That's right!!!!
**** him that heroin burnout junkie!
And while we're at it **** Courtney Love who can't even write a song to save her life without Billy Corgan doing all the work.:p :D

Phat Matt
04-05-2004, 09:27 AM
They did have and impact on music for sure, but I don't think you can compare them to the Beatles.
Kilrtoy, how do you really feel? You should express yourself more. :D

HavasuDreamin'
04-05-2004, 09:54 AM
He may have been a heroin junkie, but he was with out a doubt a prolific song writer. Nirvana had a boat load of hits and sold a sh*t load of albums in a very short time span. Too bad the man couldn't have helped himself and pulled out of it. :(

My Man's Sportin' Wood
04-05-2004, 10:08 AM
He was a very talented person IMO, but to compare them to the beatles?? Give me a break! His stupid suicide stunt kept his band going, but what good is that if you can't be around to enjoy it? And leave his daughter to grow up with that freak for a mom? Pretty f'n selfish.
In his defense, I think his lyrics were awesome and the poetry he put into them are very emotional.

Salty Cracker
04-05-2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Rod-64
That's right!!!!
**** him that heroin burnout junkie!
And while we're at it **** Courtney Love who can't even write a song to save her life without Billy Corgan doing all the work.:p :D
I couldn't have put it any better!!!
Self pittied LOOSER :mad:

Dr. Eagle
04-05-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Salty Cracker
I couldn't have put it any better!!!
Self pittied LOOSER :mad:
That's OK he left us with Courtney to spread the Love....:D

Waldo
04-05-2004, 10:45 AM
Nirvana all but started the Grundge (sp?) rock period. They are credited with getting the music industry OUT of the "hair band" era. It was definitely needed at the time. However, I dig Nirvana and absolutely love hair band music now.:D

HavasuDreamin'
04-05-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Mrs. Sportin' Wood
He was a very talented person IMO, but to compare them to the beatles?? Give me a break!
And leave his daughter to grow up with that freak for a mom? Pretty f'n selfish.
Point #1 I agree completely. Point #2..........I would guess you do stupid stuff when wigged out on heroin.

Waldo
04-05-2004, 10:54 AM
Click Here
Nirvana Album List (http://www.albums-albums.com/albums-artists-Nirvana.asp)

Her454
04-05-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
She spreads it alright but it aint love. She is a pathetic excuse for a human being, much less a mother. I couldnt believe it when I saw her strung out on TV crying because someone dared to think she was unfit and was trying to take her kid away.:yuk:

j-rod
04-05-2004, 11:19 AM
MTV is doing a special on Kurt tonight as a 10 year tribute

Dr. Eagle
04-05-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Her454
She spreads it alright but it aint love. She is a pathetic excuse for a human being, much less a mother. I couldnt believe it when I saw her strung out on TV crying because someone dared to think she was unfit and was trying to take her kid away.:yuk:
Agreed!!!!!!
Loser loser loser, that would be her first, middle and last names.... (in order)

sandblasted
04-05-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Waldo
Nirvana all but started the Grundge (sp?) rock period. They are credited with getting the music industry OUT of the "hair band" era. It was definitely needed at the time. However, I dig Nirvana and absolutely love hair band music now.:D
Nirvana was good but I always liked Soundgarden a little better...still do..:D

Reaper1
04-05-2004, 11:28 AM
Nirvana had a major impact on music in that time period. I always liked Alice in Chains better. The best thing to come out of Nirvana was Dave Grohl.

HavasuDreamin'
04-05-2004, 11:37 AM
Foo Fighters are awesome. Alice N Chains and Soundgarden also kicked major a**. :cool:

topless
04-05-2004, 11:39 AM
Agreed!!!!!!
Loser loser loser, that would be her first, middle and last names.... (in order)
I must disagree Eagle. That is not her name in order. Its her name in ANY order.

OGShocker
04-05-2004, 11:40 AM
He's dead?

HCS
04-05-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by OGShocker
He's dead?
Ya, but his music lives on.:p

NastyOne
04-05-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by OGShocker
He's dead?
LMAO!

Essex502
04-05-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by HavasuDreamin'
He may have been a heroin junkie, but he was with out a doubt a prolific song writer. Nirvana had a boat load of hits and sold a sh*t load of albums in a very short time span. Too bad the man couldn't have helped himself and pulled out of it. :(
Prolly as many songs and albums as the Beattles, right?

Dr. Eagle
04-05-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by topless
I must disagree Eagle. That is not her name in order. Its her name in ANY order.
Ahhhhh. I stand corrected.....;)

Essex502
04-05-2004, 12:55 PM
More like spread her legs..."spreading love"!

roostwear
04-05-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by HARDCORE-SKI
Ya, but his music lives on.:p
Yep, on the oldies stations. Next stop, elevator musak. Good riddance......

HavasuDreamin'
04-05-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Essex502
Prolly as many songs and albums as the Beattles, right?
Which part of the quotes below confused you? :confused:
Originally posted by Mrs. Sportin' Wood
He was a very talented person IMO, but to compare them to the beatles?? Give me a break!
And leave his daughter to grow up with that freak for a mom? Pretty f'n selfish.
My Reply:
Point #1 I agree completely. Point #2..........I would guess you do stupid stuff when wigged out on heroin.

mbrown2
04-05-2004, 01:35 PM
His music was pretty tight...too bad he could not keep it together...

Essex502
04-05-2004, 01:47 PM
.... but he was with out a doubt a prolific song writer. Nirvana had a boat load of hits and sold a sh*t load of albums in a very short time span. :(
Prolly as many as the Beatles - get it this time?:confused:

HCS
04-05-2004, 03:42 PM
Cobain's circle: An update
Here's a quick look at what some key
players in Nirvana's saga are doing today:
Courtney Love (Cobain's widow and the mother of their
11-year old daughter, Frances Bean):
On March 17, Love flashed David Letterman while appearing
on his TV show.
She's facing two counts of drug possession, with a hearing
scheduled April 15. Her latest solo album, "America's Sweetheart,"
was released on Feb 10. She's also released albums with the band Hole and acted in films including "The People vs. Larry Flynt"
and "Man on the Moon."
Krist Novoselic (Nirvana's bassist and co-founder): In 1995, Novoselic founded the Joint Artist and Music Promotions
Political Action Commitee (JAMPAC) to lobby against music
censorship.
Most recently, Novoselic played bass with Eyes Adrift, a band
featuring Bud Gaugh, formerly of Sublime, and the Meat Pupets'
Curt Kirkwood. Novoselic announced his retirement from the
music industry in August.
Dave Grohl (Nirvana's drummer): Now the singer, songwriter and
guitarist for the Foo Fighters. Each of that group's records has
sold about 1 million copies, and Grohl is also leading a heavy-
metal project called Probot.
Sub Pop Records (Nirvana's first record company): The home for
Seattle's grung scene, the company now releases records from
all over the musical map. It's artist range from comedian David
Cross to the Shins' indie-pop and the intense singer-songwriter
stylings of Iron & Wine.
Some good things came out of his death.:rolleyes:

Boozer
04-05-2004, 03:46 PM
I was personally pretty devastated when Kurt Cobain killed himself.
Nirvana had a huge impact on not only the music industry but people in general. At the time they got popular I really didnt have much music I could personally relate to. Gangster rap was on the rise and I was a white kid. Speed Metal was pretty big at the time along with hair bands, neither of which I personally enjoyed.
Grunge music fit my personality perfectly. It fit a lot of other peoples as well. Regardless of what a lot of you personally feel about the music there are a LOT of people who did connect to it. I wouldn't expect Nirvanas music to have influenced the majority of the people on these boards because your musical tastes were probably influenced by the Beatles due to the fact that they were the cutting edge in your hellraising days.
Nirvana was and always will be "The Beatles" of my generation.
I'm sure when I'm middle aged my kids will have some band that they connect to and call them the Beatles or maybe then Nirvana of their generation. I will most likely hate the music they choose because I wont be able to relate to it but will understand and respect the influence that it has on my kids.
Honestly, whos music would you rather influencing your kids? Kurt Cobain who maybe wasnt the most positive influence but still an incredibly talented aritst in his own right or Snoop Dog who raps about ho's and tricks?
I fear the next generation of music. Musicians always push the box and I hate to think of how far they are going to be pushing it when I have teenage kids.
The ironic part of Cobains death is that pulling the trigger on himself is what REALLY launched his career. He was popular before his suicide but not NEARLY as popular afterwards.
Just curious, have any of you watched the documentary about him and Courtney? Pretty trippy stuff. After watching I came to the conclusion that most likely he was not the person who pulled the trigger.

twistedpair
04-05-2004, 04:24 PM
Nirvana may have been more commercially successful, but Alice in Chains is the true King of Grunge. And yes, C-word Love did kill Kurt Cobain.:yuk: :mad:

77charger
04-05-2004, 04:26 PM
Thats all i heard on the radio today.About a guy who killed himself 10 years ago.Dont get how one who takes his own life is idolized.Dont get me wrong his music was pretty good but come on:confused:

twistedpair
04-05-2004, 04:29 PM
Yeah, he's definitely no Shania Twain:rolleyes: :D Why all the fuss!?!

77charger
04-05-2004, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by twistedpair
Why all the fuss!?!
thats what i am trying to figure out

DryHeatOnly
04-05-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by sandblasted
Nirvana was good but I always liked Soundgarden a little better...still do..:D
Soundgarden was the shit. I just started listening to SuperUnknown again. Got my son hooked on it.
I liked Nirvana's music. It wasn't my generation, but I liked it anyway. I was unnerved when he commited suicide (or so they say).

LASERRAY
04-05-2004, 04:42 PM
I always liked Nirvana, but can't say that I ever loved them. I thought as them as a glorified garage band at best that just happened to be in the right place at the right time. And to say that Cobain spoke to a generation ( Gen X ) is a bunch of Bullshit. The people that I grew-up with relate more to David-Lee Roth and Bono than to Kurt Cobain. I didn't "dig" the "Poor pitiful me" and "Slacker" angle that he was selling. And by the way I've always thought that Alice In Chains sucked-ass.:cool:

HammerDown
04-05-2004, 04:53 PM
I never liked their music (if thats what ya want to call it). I couldnt switch the radio fast enough.
Someone once printed, Curt and Nirvana were as big as and the next Jhon Lennon and the Beatles. Yea...ok.

Dr. Eagle
04-05-2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by LASERRAY
I always liked Nirvana, but can't say that I ever loved them. I thought as them as a glorified garage band at best that just happened to be in the right place at the right time. And to say that Cobain spoke to a generation ( Gen X ) is a bunch of Bullshit. The people that I grew-up with relate more to David-Lee Roth and Bono than to Kurt Cobain. I didn't "dig" the "Poor pitiful me" and "Slacker" angle that he was selling. And by the way I've always thought that Alice In Chains sucked-ass.:cool:
I did like their music kinda like you. It was good, but not really something that will stand the test of time IMHO. And I am with you on Alice in Chains..........:rolleyes:

LASERRAY
04-05-2004, 05:11 PM
I did like their music kinda like you. It was good, but not really something that will stand the test of time IMHO. And I am with you on Alice in Chains..........:rolleyes: Alice in Chains was a little to dark and dreary IMO. Another band from that era that I DID like alot was Stone Temple Pilots. They rocked.:cool:

Dr. Eagle
04-05-2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by LASERRAY
Alice in Chains was a little to dark and dreary IMO. Another band from that era that I DID like alot was Stone Temple Pilots. They rocked.:cool:
I really liked STP, but the singer was a total addict...:(

twistedpair
04-05-2004, 05:28 PM
I really liked STP, but the singer was a total addict...:(
WAS?:confused:

LASERRAY
04-05-2004, 05:28 PM
I really liked STP, but the singer was a total addict...:( Trying to reform that guy is kinda like trying to turn around the Titanic in the Panama Canal :D

spectratoad
04-05-2004, 08:05 PM
Well there is a couple of Nirvana songs that I like but I am not a big enough fan to know the names but the beatles SUCK!!!:D :p

WILDERTHANU
04-05-2004, 08:56 PM
SORRY....NEVER HEARD OF THEM.

LASERRAY
04-05-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by WILDERTHANU
SORRY....NEVER HEARD OF THEM. Oh now Come-on! You're telling me that you didn't cut your hair back in '92 and join the huddled-masses in the anti-hair band movement? :D

WILDERTHANU
04-05-2004, 09:52 PM
THE ONLY REASON THEY BLEW UP SO BIG WAS THE WORLD WAS GETTING SICK OF POSER ASS WANNA-BE METAL HEADS DOING WHAT THE RECORD LABELS TOLD THEM TO. THE SCENE WAS SO FAKE FANS CLINCHED TO THE FIRST CHANGE THEY GOT. YES MÖTLEY WAS GLAMED OUT IN THE EARLY DAYS......BUT THEIR SOUND HAS ALWAYS BEEN HEAVY. AS SOON AS THE "GLAM" THING GOT TRENDY....WHAT DID YOU SEE THEM DO, GET TATTOOED AND RAISE HELL ON HARLEYS ( THEATER OF PAIN TO GIRLS,GIRLS,GIRLS). I'VE ALWAYS SUPPORTED TREND SETTERS. SO I GUESS IN THAT SENSE NEERVANNAA WAS OK, BUT I THINK THEIR MUSIC WAS A BIT LACKING.....

LASERRAY
04-05-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by WILDERTHANU
THE ONLY REASON THEY BLEW UP SO BIG WAS THE WORLD WAS GETTING SICK OF POSER ASS WANNA-BE METAL HEADS DOING WHAT THE RECORD LABELS TOLD THEM TO. THE SCENE WAS SO FAKE FANS CLINCHED TO THE FIRST CHANGE THEY GOT DIFFERENT. YES MÖTLEY WAS GLAMED OUT IN THE EARLY DAYS......BUT THEIR SOUND HAS ALWAYS BEEN HEAVY. AS SOON AS THE "GLAM" THING GOT TRENDY....WHAT DID YOU SEE THEM DO, GET TATTOOED AND RAISE HELL ON HARLEYS ( THEATER OF PAIN TO GIRLS,GIRLS,GIRLS). I'VE ALWAYS SUPPORTED TREND SETTERS. SO I GUESS IN THAT SENSE NEERVANNAA WAS OK, BUT I THINK THEIR MUSIC WAS A BIT LACKING..... Right. A "glorified garageband" as earlier stated. I too was into the Crue. I first saw them in '82 just after too fast for love was in limited release. I saw them again that year when they opened for KISS on the "Creatures of the night" tour at Universal Ampitheater. The Crue fans packed that place! I remember I was 15 at the time and dug them 'cause they were the only band at the time that looked like chicks. And Oh yea, They Rocked too! :cool:

Kilrtoy
04-05-2004, 10:03 PM
'cause they were the only band at the time that looked like chicks
So did Culture Club,
Nirvana Still sucks :yuk:

LASERRAY
04-05-2004, 10:04 PM
'cause they were the only band at the time that looked like chicks
So did Culture Club,
Nirvana Still sucks :yuk: Yea, But Culture Club Sucked!:yuk:

WILDERTHANU
04-05-2004, 10:13 PM
...AND CULTURE CLUB COULDNT BEAT YOUR ****ING ASS!!! MÖTLEY COULD......
http://www.rosshalfin.co.uk/motleycrue/images/motley_crue-colour50.jpg
http://www.rosshalfin.co.uk/magazines/images/motley_crue-kingsize.jpg
http://www.rosshalfin.co.uk/motleycrue/images/motley_crue-colour62.jpg
http://www.rosshalfin.co.uk/magazines/images/q.jpg
http://www.rosshalfin.co.uk/motleycrue/images/motley_crue-colour60.jpg

Kilrtoy
04-05-2004, 10:15 PM
Don't get me wrong, I like the Crue, but they were so wacked on dope, I don't think they could kick anyones ass.

LASERRAY
04-05-2004, 10:20 PM
Ya gotta love those groupie photo-opps! :D

WILDERTHANU
04-05-2004, 10:20 PM
Don't get me wrong, I like the Crue, but they were so wacked on dope, I don't think they could kick anyones ass.
LIKE ANY OF US...YA AT TIMES I DONT THINK I COULD EVEN STAND UP......LET ALONE CLOCK SOME FAG.

comin' unscrewed
04-06-2004, 06:52 AM
http://www.rosshalfin.co.uk/magazines/images/motley_crue-kingsize.jpg
I didn't know Tommy had tits.