PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic Oil in a Mercruiser 496 MAG - NOT!

LASERRAY
04-05-2004, 05:41 PM
My owners manual says not to use synthetic oil in my 496 Mag but doesn't give a reason. I can understand not wanting to use Prolong until after initial break-in but am not to sure about the reasoning behind the synthetic oil. I always thought that synthetic oil was better for new engines, What gives?:confused:

Boozer
04-05-2004, 05:44 PM
New engines yes. Unbroken in engines NO!
Your engine needs a thurough break in before using synthetic to ensure that the rings seat properly if you run synthetic to soon the rings will never seat and youll be trouble.
Merc says not to use synthetic so you will buy their incredibly over priced dino oil.

Dr. Eagle
04-05-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by LASERRAY
My owners manual says not to use synthetic oil in my 496 Mag but doesn't give a reason. I can understand not wanting to use Prolong until after initial break-in but am not to sure about the reasoning behind the synthetic oil. I always thought that synthetic oil was better for new engines, What gives?:confused:
Yep, after the rings are set properly (that is the engine is broken in) synthetic is the best stuff IMO.
I believe Mercury would rather that you buy their oil(s) than use another type. I have used synthetic oils in my last 3 boats, and they ran great, with noticable increases in both power and consistency of oil pressure.
I have used both Red Line and Mobil 1. Problem with Red Line is it is about 2X what Mobil 1 is... so I tried it once and went back to Mobil 1. I use the heaviest grade 15w 50.

Boozer
04-05-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
Yep, after the rings are set properly (that is the engine is broken in) synthetic is the best stuff IMO.
I believe Mercury would rather that you buy their oil(s) than use another type. I have used synthetic oils in my last 3 boats, and they ran great, with noticable increases in both power and consistency of oil pressure.
I have used both Red Line and Mobil 1. Problem with Red Line is it is about 2X what Mobil 1 is... so I tried it once and went back to Mobil 1. I use the heaviest grade 15w 50.
Have you tried a less expensive alternative such as quaker state synthetic blend? I run it in all my vehicles because full synthetic is to much $$ to be spending as often as i change my oil (about once a month).

LASERRAY
04-05-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
I believe Mercury would rather that you buy their oil(s) than use another type. Geez, Of course! How naive of me! Why didn't I think of that?:D

Dr. Eagle
04-05-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by LASERRAY
Geez, Of course! How naive of me! Why didn't I think of that?:D
Yep the big black machine... Their products are OK, but they suck!

HammerDown
04-05-2004, 07:24 PM
Do you really think a new engine won't "break in" with Synthetic's? I wonder how auto manufactures like GM (Corvette) Dodge (Viper) get away with it when their vehicles leave the plant?

Dr. Eagle
04-05-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by HammerDown
Do you really think a new engine won't "break in" with Synthetic's? I wonder how auto manufactures like GM (Corvette) Dodge (Viper) get away with it when their vehicles leave the plant?
Don't know, I know I have read recommendations from some engine builders that suggest that is the proper thing to do. I also know that as you suggest some engines come with Synthetic in the crankcase...:confused:

HammerDown
04-05-2004, 07:49 PM
Nah, I ain't buying Synthetic is slicker then a good Dino...I belive it was on Amsoil(sp) web site where I read that info.
Better *extreme* heat protection yes, maybe a longer service life yes. (are you really going to leave it in there that long? not me)! But to belive that a healthy engine won't wear out or "break in" with Synthetic...for me thats a hard pill to swallow.
Belive the hype/marketing if you will...but I tend to belive if you use a good quality dino(especially todays dino), and change it out when one should...you'll get the same thing from that high dollar Syn's. Pay the extra $$$$ for the Syn. and don't leave it in for the loooong service life and you'll never recoup the $$$ layed out for it.
Thats my $1.34 input.;)

Boozer
04-05-2004, 07:52 PM
Motors are broken in at the factory before they ever leave the showroom. Saves manufacturers warranty headaches.
You really think Joe Cool is going to take a brand new Viper off the lot and wait 500 miles before he opens it up? Probably not. That's why most higher end automobiles; the same ones you find mobil 1 in from the dealer; have been broken in already. Joe Cool gets to open it up right off the lot and the manufacturer doesnt have to worry about it breaking when he does.

Dr. Eagle
04-05-2004, 07:54 PM
Nah, I ain't buying Synthetic is slicker then a good Dino...I belive it was on Amsoil(sp) web site where I read that info.
Better *extreme* heat protection yes, maybe a longer service life yes. (are you really going to leave it in there that long? not me)! But to belive that a healthy engine won't wear out or "break in" with Synthetic...for me thats a hard pill to swallow.
Belive the hype/marketing if you will...but I tend to belive if you use a good quality dino(especially todays dino), and change it out when one should...you'll get the same thing from that high dollar Syn's. Pay the extra $$$$ for the Syn. and don't leave it in for the loooong service life and you'll never recoup the $$$ layed out for it.
Thats my $1.34 input.;)
Cool. I have been really happy with the slicker goo... and it is slicker. But good old Dino is good stuff too. I have seen the improvement in performance myself... albeit minor. You feel every half pony in the boat. Is it worth the extra $$$$$$$ DUnno, but I am happy enough with it I will continue to shell out the bucks...

HammerDown
04-05-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Boozer
Motors are broken in at the factory before they ever leave the showroom.
Are they, and to what extent? Would they (every one) be pre-run on a Dyno prior to being set in the Chassi. Or maybe run on a chassi type dyno? How many miles would then show on the odometer? Dump the dino then install Synthetic? Do you really think they go through all that expence and trouble?
Things that make ya go:idea:
Guess ya should use what ever gives you that warm fuzzy feeling.:wink:

CBLavey
04-05-2004, 08:26 PM
I just asked Rob at Quality Performance Marine about whether to use synthetic or Mercruiser Oil in my 6.2 and he suggested sticking with the Mercruiser Oil.
As he put it, the Merc oil is designed for operation at high rpm for sustained periods of time under the type of loads that a boat engine is subjected to. A cars engine, be it a Corvette or a Camry is never subjected to that kind of stress. Probably has something to do with why your car gets 23 m.p.g. and your boat gets 4 m.p.g. if you're lucky. Mobil 1 is great stuff but it wasn't designed for marine use though I recently heard that Merc is introducing their own synthetic! :cool: :cool: :cool:

HammerDown
04-05-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by CBLavey
I recently heard that Merc is introducing their own synthetic! :cool: :cool: :cool:
Sure they are why, because with good marketing they stand to make big $$$$
Harley did the same thing...for years and years and years Harley stated never to use Synthetic oil in their Engines, nope it ain't no good in our Motorcycles. The public wanted to belive all the hype...Then one day Father Harley figured hey, lets get even richer...so now they push THEIR $$$ brand of synthetic, because it's the best you can use for your Engine. Heck it will last forever...or longer!
Not to bust on the above quote, sorry Mr. CBLavey if I made it seem that way. But marketing, marketing, marketing. it's what gets our money out of our pockets and into theirs.:wink:

Boozer
04-05-2004, 08:41 PM
Are they, and to what extent? Would they (every one) be pre-run on a Dyno prior to being set in the Chassi. Or maybe run on a chassi type dyno? How many miles would then show on the odometer? Dump the dino then install Synthetic? Do you really think they go through all that expence and trouble?
Things that make ya go:idea:
Guess ya should use what ever gives you that warm fuzzy feeling.:wink:
I watched a motor get broken in by Edelbrach or at least a cut down version. The motor is put on an engine dyno and run for something like 36 hours straight.
I don't know how a lot of the auto makers do it but I looked at a Lexus and the dealer told me they put the engine through a similar process and the car is driven at 100 MPH before it ever hits the showroom floor. Dealers say a lot of things and who knows what is true? I know he didnt have a problem letting me punch the throttle and wrap the RPMS up to redline before shifting.

RiverToysJas
04-05-2004, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by CBLavey
I just asked Rob at Quality Performance Marine about whether to use synthetic or Mercruiser Oil in my 6.2 and he suggested sticking with the Mercruiser Oil.
As he put it, the Merc oil is designed for operation at high rpm for sustained periods of time under the type of loads that a boat engine is subjected to. A cars engine, be it a Corvette or a Camry is never subjected to that kind of stress. Probably has something to do with why your car gets 23 m.p.g. and your boat gets 4 m.p.g. if you're lucky. Mobil 1 is great stuff but it wasn't designed for marine use though I recently heard that Merc is introducing their own synthetic! :cool: :cool: :cool:
My Merc Master Machanic, James @ Extreme in Los Alamitos, says the same thing, and only uses Merc fluids.
RTJas :D

Offshore1
04-06-2004, 04:06 AM
Volvo uses the same motor and thier oil is synthetic.
At the Miami show, Merc introduced their own synthetic motor oil.
I guess they'll have to re-write their manuals now.

Seadog
04-06-2004, 05:39 AM
A recent article in Trailer Boats discussed the differences in marine oils vs automotive oils. All the marine engine companies are putting together a new oil standard for I/O engines like they have for 2-stroke oil. The reasoning behind this is that once there is a standard in place, you can buy any brand oil that meets the spec. Then they don't have to require their brand oil.
I suspect that their attitude is that they are not going to lose any more oil sales then they do already and it will make for a lot less negative attitude if an engine fails and they blame using the wrong oil. MC probably has several oil companies wanting to get them to approve specific oils, but I doubt that MC wants to spend their nickle to test each one, so now they can say an oil is OK because it meets xyz criteria.