PDA

View Full Version : break in period

ahhell
04-06-2004, 06:31 AM
Got a question, i just bought my first boat, a 1999 Commander 454 jet. It only has 68 hours on it, is this a sufficient break in period or is there a longer recommended time. I do plan on having it serviced prior to my maiden voyage. Any info would help:confused:

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-06-2004, 06:36 AM
I don't know too much about break-in periods but I would think 68 hrs would be sufficient. BTW very nice looking boat in your signature. ;)

Salty Cracker
04-06-2004, 06:37 AM
Depends on who you ask...break-in is usually 20hrs, but you hear people say that a motor isn't truly broken in till 100hrs.
Dealers usually say 20hrs though :D

ahhell
04-06-2004, 06:38 AM
I just wish the colors would show better...oh well

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-06-2004, 06:39 AM
they look awesome to me. but i'm sure the pic doesn't do it justice. they usually don't. awesome ride. key is alot of wax. ;) :D

HCS
04-06-2004, 06:51 AM
Break in is 20 hrs. the motor really doesn't loosen up until 100hrs.
Nice boat. Go out and run it WOT. It's good for it.

ahhell
04-06-2004, 07:16 AM
i CANT WAIT!!! nothing like sitting in the boat listening to the tunes and drinking some beers...just not the same in the back yard...:cry:

Kachina26
04-06-2004, 07:18 AM
I sure hope that's not a first service at 68 hours.:D

ahhell
04-06-2004, 07:19 AM
me too... i have to talk to the guy i bought it from to sign the pink, i better start an "things to ask "list

HCS
04-06-2004, 07:22 AM
I change my oil every 50hrs. Or once a summer. 68hrs is low,
The boat should be fine. Change the fluids and go party.:)

LaveyJet
04-06-2004, 09:50 AM
Nice Boat,
I sold my 21' Commander Jet last year, good river boat. 68 hours is low, If you really use it, you'll put 50 hours a year on it.
When and where are you taking it out?

Scream
04-06-2004, 10:03 AM
Yea! When are you going to take her out (unofficially named Hell froze Over)
Had a bitchen (old school) time at Mohave this weekend. I tried to drink your share of beer too, but ran short the first day. That sucked. Gotta figure out the propper boat packing technique to keep me in the suds for a whole day.
Something about boating makes me thirsty.
BTW your boat's way broken in. Change the earl and get her in the water. She'll be ok. Mine is almost broke in, I've got all of 7.5 hours on her now.

ahhell
04-06-2004, 12:06 PM
first official trip is first weekend in june to Mead, but if i could talk my kid into missing a baseball game, i may hit a local lake in the near future...you going if i go Scream and yes i need to find to find a someone to paint my name on the back of "her"

Kachina26
04-06-2004, 12:08 PM
How do you run out of room for brews on that barge? Plenty of room behind that left side seat back down below!

Debbolas
04-06-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Kachina26
How do you run out of room for brews on that barge? Plenty of room behind that left side seat back down below!
We are trying to make the ice chest under the back bench thing work. The plug came unglued, we need silicone....
Our boat is so cool, we just flew over those little waves!
I HAVE to e-mail missie!!
Are you guys going to the Nautical Mid May?

Chase
04-06-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by ahhell
i CANT WAIT!!! nothing like sitting in the boat listening to the tunes and drinking some beers...just not the same in the back yard...:cry:
I don't recommend running it WOT in the back yard....

Kachina26
04-06-2004, 01:29 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Debbolas
[B]We are trying to make the ice chest under the back bench thing work. The plug came unglued, we need silicone....
Our boat is so cool, we just flew over those little waves!
I HAVE to e-mail missie!!
You got an ice chest under the back bench? We plan to go to Havasu in Mid may, but we stay at the Havasu Dunes where my timeshare is. Do you guys have rooms at the Nauticle already?

Scream
04-06-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Kachina26
Hey Kachina26, we hadn't bought a plug for the back seat "cold storage" area, so we just loaded up the onboard igloo. There were 4 adults and 4 kids, so us 4 adults did our best to empty that cooler, and we did except for the kids drinks. We took off North to Willow Beach. John Candy in his range uniform came to the dock (ya know, like on Vacation with Chevy Chase) "Sorry folks, the moose should have told you the park was closed", insted he told us the river North of Willow was closed until after Memorial day. We were pretty short of beer by the time we got to Willow and tried to buy it there, but no dice. They could make a killing selling goodies up there...
On Sunday I bought a plug for under the seat and went to put it in and the the brass tube came out...No biggie. I still put about 50 drinks back there and they were pretty cold all day.

Scream
04-06-2004, 01:37 PM
first official trip is first weekend in june to Mead, but if i could talk my kid into missing a baseball game, i may hit a local lake in the near future...you going if i go Scream and yes i need to find to find a someone to paint my name on the back of "her"
Remember my schedule. Last weekend of month is always busy, but I'm down for anything else. This next few months is weird for work. It's our 80th birthday and we're celebrating with a lot of fancy happenins.

Debbolas
04-06-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Scream
Remember my schedule. Last weekend of month is always busy, but I'm down for anything else. This next few months is weird for work. It's our 80th birthday and we're celebrating with a lot of fancy happenins.
Official Summer Schedule
April 2 3,4,5, Cottonwood Cove
May 14,15,16 Nautical Inn Beach Suite
Memorial Weekend Lake Mead Hacienda
June 11 & 12 Lake Mead camping
June 27 - 30th Park Moabe camping
July 18 - 27th Lake Powell camping
Aug 14 & 15 Avi (no kids)
(there is something going on there from this boat forum, some beach thing)
Sept 18 & 19 Havsue
Octo 16 & 17 open

ahhell
04-06-2004, 03:54 PM
HOLY SHIT........sorry your avatar scared the crap out of me, looks like someone i know.....j/k debbo:wink:

Debbolas
04-06-2004, 06:19 PM
HOLY SHIT........sorry your avatar scared the crap out of me, looks like someone i know.....j/k debbo:wink:
Hey!
easy now.....
lol
:D

ahhell
04-06-2004, 06:45 PM
When did u grow boobs:confused: :confused: :confused:

Debbolas
04-06-2004, 06:47 PM
When did u grow boobs:confused: :confused: :confused:
:rolleyes:
HELLO!
Victoria Secret Miracle Bra Bikini !!

Bigyellowcat
04-06-2004, 07:05 PM
My break in period was when i first put it in the water to the idle bouys then went wide open the length of the lake.