PDA

View Full Version : 220/240 Electric outlet

Cole Sanger
04-06-2004, 02:17 PM
What should I expect to pay in the Phoenix area for an electrician to install a single 220 or 240 outlet in my garage? The electical panel is about 2 feet from where I want the outlet. Anyone have a person they can recommend? I just bought a tig/mic/arc welder from a welding shop. They said it could run on whatever I wanted from 220 on up to 408. I am not looking to use it for a business, just to play with.

al cole'holic
04-06-2004, 02:27 PM
..my suggestion to you is doing it yourself...no, seriously :D
Is there an existing outlet that you want to convert or is it adding a new outlet??

Cole Sanger
04-06-2004, 02:38 PM
I am an electronics technician in the semiconductor industry. I don't do electrical panels. It would be a new outlet. I was thinking of having them put in a 4 panel 120 outlet while they were there. I have a 3 car garage with one outlet (not including the outlets for the garage door openers). Sucks.

Scream
04-06-2004, 02:44 PM
IMO, I'm in So Cal and I'd probably expect to pay $30 to $40 per hour time and materials. You could go to Home Depot or Lowes or whatever and get the breaker (make sure you know which brand) the wire, conduit, outlet, box and cover yourself to make sure you're not gettin hosed. Get the electrician to give you a list of what's necessary and go buy it. And don't let him (her, sorry chicks) clean the garage for 30 or 40 bux/hour. The job done right, taking your time, should be about 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

Jordy
04-06-2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Cole Sanger
I am an electronics technician in the semiconductor industry. I don't do electrical panels. It would be a new outlet. I was thinking of having them put in a 4 panel 120 outlet while they were there. I have a 3 car garage with one outlet (not including the outlets for the garage door openers). Sucks.
How far from the main panel are you? It's easy enough to do, unless you have to fish through walls and all that fun stuff (sorry, don't do that). I do wire stuff up on a regular basis. Trust me. :D

roln 20s
04-06-2004, 03:39 PM
A buddy of mine just wired a 220 for my spa-- left him a message and hopefully he'll get back to me tonight and I'll see if he will help you out. I don't know crap about that stuff, except that a 220 shock won't feel good.
Roln 20s

Cole Sanger
04-06-2004, 03:41 PM
I only have to go from the outside where the panel is, down the wall about a foot and over about a foot. As close as possible to the panel, only inside my garage.

ROZ
04-06-2004, 06:13 PM
piece of cake. Jordy can help, no problem.... :D
Where in Gilbert are you? I have family off Elliot and Stapley...

bordsmnj
04-06-2004, 06:28 PM
what i would do is have the welder there. that way he can see if it has a plug on it already or if it comes with them. also he'll wanna know what the nameplate fla(full load current) is so he can get the right size breaker. also the plug configuration will differ with amperage- 30A plug isn't compatable with 50A,etc. home depot guy's seldom now what they are talking about when you go buy anything beyond a light bulb.your better off letting the guy make the extra hour for going to get the stuff him self. as long as there's a reciept-you should be safe. your taliing about a hundred bucks (with additional recepticles) in material give or take.probvably just over. the most expensive part will be the cord cap and recepticle for the welder and maybe the breaker depnding on what make panel you have. good luck:D

Cole Sanger
04-06-2004, 06:29 PM
I am off Cooper (Stapley) and Warner in Gilbert. I have the welder here. It is old, on wheels, and weighs about 300+ pounds. It will tig weld from 7-300 amps. I bought it for $200. I just need to get all the attachments and the guy at the welding shop said he would come over and show me how to weld. Can't pass up a deal like that.

CEO
04-06-2004, 06:36 PM
Wifes boss: "What are you doing?"
Michael Keaton: "I'm rewiring the house"
Wifes boss: "220?"
Michael Keaton: "220....,221 what ever it takes!"
"Mr. Mom" 1983
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

bordsmnj
04-06-2004, 06:56 PM
ok, this is the code for arc welders if the guy can show you where i found this or explain it to you your house wont burn down. one thing to look out for is that that is a good sized welder and if you only have a hundred amp panel at your house that is also the biggest breaker you'll get to fit in it. AND if you uise a hundred amp breaker in your hundred amp panel and it trips it's a toss up is to wich breaker will kick first the main or your welder. if you go to ***boatpics in my gallery you can find a readable sized version of this:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/130welders-med.jpg
may be more than your looking for but there it is.:cool:

roln 20s
04-07-2004, 07:30 AM
Cole-
Haven't heard anything yet, but will try and get ahold of him again.
Roln 20s

Cole Sanger
04-07-2004, 08:10 AM
No problem, I am not in a huge hurry. Just want to start tinkering with it as soon as possible. It's like a toy that I can't play with. Yeah, Yeah, I know it can burn down my house...blah...blah...blah.
:D

roln 20s
04-07-2004, 12:42 PM
Cole- Check your PM :D
Roln 20s

Chase
04-07-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by al cole'holic
..my suggestion to you is doing it yourself...no, seriously :D
Is there an existing outlet that you want to convert or is it adding a new outlet??
Nothin' like being able to pull your own wire..:D :D :D

yates9
04-08-2004, 08:50 AM
This sounds really familier to me. Last weekend, I just wired up an 220V 30A, and an 4 outlet 120V dedicated circuit. I live in Peoria, AZ, and have 3 car garage. Just like yours, it used to only have 1 outlet thats GFCI, and like 15 amps. I just bought a new 220V welder, and needed to wire it up. It's actually really simple, (If they can hire untrained illegals to build new houses here, I'm sure it's not rocket science, just common sense). I have the panel on other side of the garage wall. I decided not to go fishing wires around, and the inside wall of the garage opposing the panel would be more than sufficent for the plug on the welder.
First, I checked the panel to see if any banks was availible. You'll see them as blank plates that are stamped out of the steel. Check the service amperage should be 200A, and the manufacture / model of the panel, probably Square D. I went to the HD, and bought an 30A 220V dual breaker that works with Square D's, an PVC junction box, 220V 30A Dryer type 4 prong recepticle, and 10-4 (10 Gauge 4 wire) flat wiring, and some bulkhead fittings to penterate though the wall.
I shut off the main powers, removed the sheet metal panel, and snapped in the new 30A 220V breaker to an availible bank. The breaker has output terminals, one for the red wire, one for black. Those go directly to your outlet's red and black. The white is the common, which goes to the buss that already has all the white wires going to it. The other end of the white goes to your outlet's round post. The green wire (or bare copper wire) goes to the ground buss, where you'll see the rest of the bare wires going. The opposing end of course, will terminate at the last lug as the ground.
When I picked out an location on the wall about 40" above ground, I drew in the square, and cut out the drywall. After I cut it out, I was beating my self in the head, because THERE WAS AN STUD right between the hole I cut, and the 10-4 wire comming in from the panel. So, I cut another hole for the junction box, right adjacent to the stud on the panel side. I then said, what am I going to do about that first hole I cut? A light bulb hit, and I decided to add an 120V 4 outlet there, and add an 20A 110V breaker to the box since it was apart, and will then have a dedicated circuit to the garage, and not the homebuilder's cheezy 15A service. Since I cut the second hole adjacent to the stud, I was able cross drill a hole, large enough for another 120V wire to pass through the stud, and feed the 4 120V outlets. Back to HD, get some 120V wires, 20A single breaker, dual junction box, and 2 20A service 120V outlets.
Went home, popped in the new 20A 120V breaker in another bank, wired it up, and fed the wires though the holes, and buttoned everythign up. Just a note, something I learned. On the 220V plug, the red is on the right side of the receptile, black on the left, when looking at the receptical with the round ground lug on top. I don't think it really matters, as both sides are 120V hot, but to stay with standard, thats how it is.
Double check your work, close up the panel, fire up the breakers. I built an 30' wire for my new welder, mating up with the 4 prong NEMA plug. I used 10-3 Outdoor(10 GA 3 wire) $1.50 a foot at HD) and wired it directly to the inside of the welder. My welder doesn't use the common. Some people reccomend to have an inspector to inspect and approve the work. I hear it's about 40-50 bucks, just in case house burns down because of bad wiring, and insurance issues...
Feel free to email me if you have any Q's
yates9@cox.net
Have fun!

yates9
04-08-2004, 08:56 AM
O, I forgot to mention, it did take me 4 hours to install both of them. But it's the first time I wired up an dedicated 220V and 120V circuit directly to the panel.