PDA

View Full Version : California Sucks

likeFATHERlikeSON3
04-07-2004, 09:03 AM
i guess in CA the sound laws this years aren't just screwing boats. my step-dad is in to historic racing and has some really nice vintage can-am cars that he loves to race. he had a test day planed at Sears Point but cant do it now because they had to put up new noise restrictions for the local residents who built there house right next to a track that was out in the middle of no where and then bitch about the sound. the same thing happened at laguna seca. the say in ten years the north ca tracks will have to close down! i hate bitchy people.:mad:

My Man's Sportin' Wood
04-07-2004, 09:09 AM
I couldn't agree more. This place sux. I despise most of the people who live here. Unfortunately, we have an elderly family member that we are responsible for. I know it's morbid, but when she's gone, we're gone. Cashing in our real estate chips and moving where life and people are more simple.

fourspeednup
04-07-2004, 09:25 AM
They tried to shut down ventura raceway last year and I was absolutely shocked to see such a huge outpouring of support towards keeping the track. If anything, it made for great publicity because i saw the attendance go from maybe 1/3 to sell out crowds every Sat. night. Couldn't believe that in our town there could be that many people interested in saving a racetrack. Apparently there are SOME decent minded people there:cool:

spectratoad
04-07-2004, 09:28 AM
We had some folks like that around our small airport in North Reno. Every year since the 70's they have held annual air races and alot of homes have been built out there, no developments thank God, just custom homes. Well others moved in and then complained about the air races citing noise, crashes etc... Well thankfully those folks were shut down pretty hard and fast by other residents who enjoy the races and also told these folks that the races were here long before they were. Two of the non-whiners is one who had an aircraft engine hit their home after a crash and the other had the corner of their garage taken out. They said they still love the races and told the whiners to pack up if they didn't like it.:D

coolchange
04-07-2004, 09:36 AM
SOME (?) vintage Can-Am's. Damn. Was he at the Big Bore Bash at Willow Springs last year? There was about 8 cars there. That was awesome.

Ducatista
04-07-2004, 11:34 AM
I have been born & raised in Cali, I love being 1 hour from the ocean, desert, or mountains depending on what I want to do. But I can honestly say now, that you're right....California sucks. Too many stupid people breeding, time to move on.:frown:

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
04-07-2004, 11:45 AM
we welcome loud pipes in Texas:) we have no state income tax:p our registration is based on the weight of the vehicle. gas is outrageous here right now at $1.46 a gallon for regular;) We have desert, big hills, ocean, forests, plains or just about anything you are into. Once you get used to the rednecks it is a great place to live. Ya'll move on out here. Lakes and rivers aren't near as crowded as Cali. Oh yeah I almost forgot you can buy a 3,000 sq.ft house on an acre of land for less than 200k. I love Texas (quite possibly the last holdout):D
Omega

Outnumbered
04-07-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by likeFATHERlikeSON3
i guess in CA the sound laws this years aren't just screwing boats. my step-dad is in to historic racing and has some really nice vintage can-am cars that he loves to race. he had a test day planed at Sears Point but cant do it now because they had to put up new noise restrictions for the local residents who built there house right next to a track that was out in the middle of no where and then bitch about the sound. the same thing happened at laguna seca. the say in ten years the north ca tracks will have to close down! i hate bitchy people.:mad:
Sounds like the people here in Lake Arrowhead that buy a lakefront house and then bitch about loud boats...WTF. Noise laws used to be pretty much unenforced about 15-20 years ago here since it was a private lake. There used to be some pretty hot boats on this lake. Twin turbos, blower motors, lots of OT jet boats, etc. That is all pretty much gone now. Now the patrol carries dB meters and most of the hot boats are gone.
OL

Havasu Cig
04-07-2004, 01:44 PM
I lived in Texas, Alabama and Kentucky while in the military and lets just say I was happy to get back to San Diego. You can't beat the weather and the activities in So.Cal.
I don't know anybody that got out of the military and stayed in Texas. I know lots of people that got out in San Diego and stayed. There must be a reason.
My Aunt and Uncle keep trying to get out of So.Cal and keep coming back. They bought a ranch in New Mexico and came back. They bought a ranch in Colorado and came back. They bought a place in Havasu and although they kept it as a rental they came back. Now they just bought 20 acres in Hawaii two days ago and are talking about moving there. I am sure they will be back.
Except for the liberals it is probably one of the nicest places to live.

v-drive
04-07-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Cig
I lived in Texas, Alabama and Kentucky while in the military and lets just say I was happy to get back to San Diego. You can't beat the weather and the activities in So.Cal.
I don't know anybody that got out of the military and stayed in Texas. I know lots of people that got out in San Diego and stayed. There must be a reason.
My Aunt and Uncle keep trying to get out of So.Cal and keep coming back. They bought a ranch in New Mexico and came back. They bought a ranch in Colorado and came back. They bought a place in Havasu and although they kept it as a rental they came back. Now they just bought 20 acres in Hawaii two days ago and are talking about moving there. I am sure they will be back.
Except for the liberals it is probably one of the nicest places to live.
Yes sir I believe this man knows what he's talking about.
:D v-sold on Kalifornia-Drive

Sleek-Jet
04-07-2004, 01:58 PM
They bought a ranch in Colorado and came back.
Being a native of Colorado, I wish more Cali ex-patriots would follow their lead. :D
Actually, if they would leave the "It's not like that in California" or the "Let's make this place like California" attitude at home, most of them would be pretty good peeps.

Havasu Cig
04-07-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Sleek-Jet
Being a native of Colorado, I wish more Cali ex-patriots would follow their lead. :D
Actually, if they would leave the "It's not like that in California" or the "Let's make this place like California" attitude at home, most of them would be pretty good peeps.
They could not believe how cold it got. They bought in the summer and was told by the realtor that the winters were "mild". After the first winter they got out. They still own the place and have been trying to sell it for a few years now.
I will also add the fact that the population growth in So.Cal has not been great. I was born here 36 years ago and the place has changed alot. I sometimes wish the people that have come here in the past ten years would leave as well. Maybe then you could drive on the freeways after 2:00 pm.

Sleek-Jet
04-07-2004, 02:17 PM
They could not believe how cold it got. They bought in the summer and was told by the realtor that the winters were "mild". After the first winter they got out. They still own the place and have been trying to sell it for a few years now.
Where is their property located at?? What gets people about Colorado winters is the lenght. It get's cold in early October and stays that way untill May. And spring weather is great also... April showers bring May blizzards has more truth to it than people realise. :D

Havasu Cig
04-07-2004, 02:21 PM
I don't remember the name of the town, but it is southern Colorado near the border with New Mexico. I think that is the reason the realtor said the winters were mild. I think the elevation is relatively low.

Sleek-Jet
04-07-2004, 02:27 PM
That's kinda where I'm from, must be way out in the middle of nowhere if they haven't sold yet.

Havasu Cig
04-07-2004, 02:37 PM
Never been there, but from what they have told me I think you are right.
My aunt seems to make a hobby of buying and selling real estate, and is kind of stubborn on her asking price when it comes time to sell, so this might be a factor as well.
She is cheap as hell when it comes to somethings, but will buy property at the drop of a hat. They just went to Hawaii for a two week vacation and came back with 20 acres in escrow. She is a little crazy if you ask me.:rolleyes:

Desert Rat
04-07-2004, 02:37 PM
I grew up going to” The fastest 1/4 mile on Earth" at the time, Fremont later to become Baylands raceway. Same thing happened. F'N homes placed right next to the oval and the strip. Didn't take them 2 years to shut it down.
Gallagher the comedian had an idea for airport approaches, He said the government should buy up all the houses and sell them to deaf people...end of complaints, well add drag strips to that too!
:idea2:

Dave C
04-07-2004, 03:02 PM
i remember baylands.... too bad
come on this area ain't so bad. Gas is $2.25 a gallon, my 1,500 ft house on a 60x100 ft lot is only $600,000.
not that bad;)

Outnumbered
04-07-2004, 03:21 PM
oops

spectras only
04-07-2004, 06:05 PM
HavasuCig, I've been in SD and like that city most on the westcoast .However I found the water in mission bay during summer just as cold as english bay in vancouver.With a boat like yours ,you would have fun here almost all year round ,cause the vast number of islands and coves to explore.One of my buddies has a 33 Donzi we had out last weekend [ temps around 17 C] and we didn't wear snowsuits either ,hehe.I'll be visiting relatives in diego in july ,and the weather better be good ,or you cali guys will never hear the end of it, if it's going to rain while I'm there;) .Is there any place other than Catalina for island hopping in socal?

LUVNLIFE
04-07-2004, 06:14 PM
I'll put up with Cali till I retire then we are gone. To bad I still have 20 years to go:yuk:

Havasu Cig
04-07-2004, 06:17 PM
There are some other islands around Catalina, but Catalina would be the best choice because there is some stuff to do on the island. There are also the Coronado's (sp) about 15 or so miles south of the border, but I won't take my current boat there.
I used to take my fishing boat there all the time, but I am afraid the Mexican government might like the Cig a little to much and take it from me.
You can also cruise the coast. You have Oceanside, Dana Point, Newport Beach and Long Beach all within easy cruising distance from San Diego.
Mission bay has the Barefoot bar which you can dock your boat and walk up to. San Diego Harbor has Anthony's Fish Grotto which has a dock.
The weather in July should be good, hell it is good right now.:D
Lots to do.;)
BTW: Mission Bay should be in the low 70's in the middle of summer, but it is the ocean and not a lake so the water temps will not be as high.:cool:

SoCalOffshore
04-07-2004, 07:08 PM
All of us Californians are bitching and laughing all the way to the bank. It is amazing how much money all are real estate is appreciating. And why one may ask? Because everyone wants to live here as the weather is the best in the nation, if not the world. But, I have to admit, it is changing and not all for the good. I will most likely move out of So Cal when I retire. But, can I handle all summer in Havasu when I am retired? Maybe No Cal or Northern Nevada with no state income tax.

Cas
04-07-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by likeFATHERlikeSON3
Strange. I live here in Sonoma and haven't heard anything about that. Every Wed night there's drag racing for the locals out at Infineon, most have open headers and some pretty quick cars. There's also been a lot of testing lately with all kinds of vehicles including some nascars. I wonder if there's something else going on?
Believe me, in this small town it would be big news if regards to Infineon because of the income it generates for the city.
BTW, I too will probably be out of CA as soon as my kids are out of school.

ROZ
04-07-2004, 10:24 PM
They just went to Hawaii for a two week vacation and came back with 20 acres in escrow. She is a little crazy if you ask me.:rolleyes:
They'll be back once the figure out that they'll be living with big ass bugs and lizards 24/7... From shacks to mega buck estates, they all got em :D

Coughlin's Law
04-08-2004, 12:40 AM
Where do we go?
I've been researching moving to Phoenix with Old Lavey, spoken with ***boaters in Northern Alabama and in the South and most recently made contact with RiverRatMike about his trek from Orange County to Lake Havasu as a full time resident.
It's easy to bitch and say "I've had it with this place". I know, I've been doing it for almost a year. It's hard to give up "my claim". My piece of paradise that people are willing to spend $900k for 2300 sqft. It's insane, but am I missing something? Why are people willing to pay this much? Are they seeing something I no longer recognize or appreciate?
Sure, I hate the traffic and 90% of people will cut you off without batting an eye while on their cell phone. Have we just become conditioned to put up with this shit because EVERYTHING is an hour away (except the river/Havasu) and because it’s usually sunny and 72 degrees?
There must be a reason folks are lining up in droves to purchase property in Cali. Why? Can't be just the weather or the climate, could it?
I think it's just another example of materialism. Everyone has been conditioned to think or believe they need or deserve the best. Many think Southern California is the best, so they want it. Just like the want, need or deserve the 'Burb or the H2 in the driveway because we've been conditioned that's what we need, deserve or "should have". It’s the best. I want the best. I deserve the best.
This goes beyond keeping up with "The Jones’s". I blame MTV Cribs and "Pimp my Ride". :D
I have been on this crusade to escape and “cash-out” of this remarkable real estate market and I believe I would be a fool not to, but it’s hard to leave.
I’m 32, so I still need to work a “few more years”, so the destination is dictated by the local economy and employment opportunities of potential destinations.
Not to mention education for the children.
So, all of us pissed off California’s will a ton of equity ready to get the f*#k out of dodge……where do we go????
Coughlin

Freak
04-08-2004, 05:07 AM
Damn 20ac in Hawaii. Someone has some serious greenbacks.

LeE ss13
04-08-2004, 06:00 AM
Hey .... don't forget our ethnic diversty !!!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/308View_from_desk597.jpg
Vermont Ave. L.A.

Sleek-Jet
04-08-2004, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by Coughlin's Law
So, all of us pissed off California’s will a ton of equity ready to get the f*#k out of dodge……where do we go????
Coughlin
Arizona and Colorado are full.... no vacancy. :D J/K

Tremor Therapy
04-08-2004, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by Sleek-Jet
Arizona and Colorado are full.... no vacancy. :D J/K
We should have said that about California 20 years ago! I am born and raised for 41 years, and in general you guys are right.....it sucks! Not California, but all of the idiots who have moved here in the past 25 years. The place was beginning to get crowded in the late 70's, and we have what, tripled since then?!? I say its time to invoke the naturalization clause! If your parents were American citizens at the time of your birth in California, you can stay.....everyone else, and that includes those that hate California, PLEASE LEAVE!
Remember a door swings both ways, so don't let it hit ya where God split ya!:D

THOR
04-08-2004, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by ROZ
They'll be back once the figure out that they'll be living with big ass bugs and lizards 24/7... From shacks to mega buck estates, they all got em :D
I lived in Alabama while in college and I can tell you first hand that if you are from the west coast, the south is not for you. One winter it rained 21 days in a row. I was that bored that I counted the days, no shit. Also, it is beyond humid. Bugs are insane, people are f*&#in ignorant, and the there are cotton mouth snakes in every river and lake. Football is fun as hell though.
Have fun in Alabama.
Look out your window here in socal and you will realize why your house is worth so much.

Havasu Cig
04-08-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Freak
Damn 20ac in Hawaii. Someone has some serious greenbacks.
Yeah, There not doing to bad. They just build an awesome house in La Cresta on 5 acres here in So.Cal. I can't believe they are thinking about moving already.
I think their pad in Havasu will be up for sale. 2500 sq.ft. house just completely gutted and remodeled (sp) over the past two years. they also own the lot next to it. I will get more details if anybody is interested.

coolchange
04-08-2004, 10:59 AM
Ya they all come cryin back. My Sis in law moved to Ok city. Husband quit a 15 year position to "Get out of Ca."
Got a 1 year contract with a major player to run the place.
"oh it can't be that bad, it's a major metropolitan city." She said.
I just smiled and layed odds.
The DAY his contract was up they were on the road "home" to CA.
At least I don't have to hear them bitch about what a POS place CA. is anymore.

Cas
04-08-2004, 04:59 PM
so when are we going to truly band together to take our state back? That's what it's going to take to get CA back to a ghost of what it once was.
The problem is that there's a ton of liberals that just keep on coming making up laws without thinking about the consequences.
It's a mess.............