PDA

View Full Version : Wakeboard for a 36 year old, 270 Lb. beginner

LASERRAY
04-07-2004, 08:59 PM
Ok, so i've never wakeboarded in my life but I want to learn, and would like to know a good make, model, and size for my situation. I plan on renting first to make sure that I like it and will buy one if it works out. Thanks for the help.:cool:

1stepcloser
04-07-2004, 09:19 PM
I have the perfect board....The Big Gun from Hyperlite. I learned on this board, its big and stable. Very easy to ride for the beginner, and still alot of fun as you get better.
I'm 6'6" and weigh in around 245lbs.
It's also available for loan.
P.M. me if your interested

clownpuncher
04-07-2004, 09:20 PM
I'm in the same boat, pardon the pun. For myself, I was thinking of getting a 4x8 piece of mdf and straping some bindings on. That outta float my ass. :D I might paint some flames on it too. Gotta have the bling factor ya know.
I'm interested to see what the real responses will be cuz I want one for me too.

Kilrtoy
04-07-2004, 09:28 PM
They are not fat dave!
They are large girth human beings, that need love and cuddling.

Boozer
04-07-2004, 09:29 PM
I'd recommend a 12' longboard with some good snowboard bindings for someone your size laserray.
J/K...
I'm not much smaller the you but I have a wakeboard i still havent managed to learn to ride very well. I dont know the name or the size because some chick i was boning last summer bought it for me.
I wish I could be more help but at this point I am a hang over from hell into my second case of coors lite tonight.
POWER TO THE BIG GUYS!!
I can say that too cuz im a big guy.

clownpuncher
04-07-2004, 09:31 PM
I'm thinking it's easier to just buy the wakeboard for friends to use. Nevermind trying myself. I can drive and drink beer. Smoke some ciggies after a few beers too! Oh sorry RD, just read your sig. Nevermind.

LASERRAY
04-07-2004, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
What's with all the fat guys trying to learn how to wakeboard?
RD <---- I can say that shit becuase I'm fat too. I Dunno, Mid-Life crisis? Trying to prove to our kids and wives that we still have a little game left? Fat Guys Rule!:D

rrrr
04-07-2004, 10:03 PM
Count me as one of the fat old wakeboarders, 235 and 47. Even went to boarding school, 20 something little **** sez "you're pretty good for an old guy". :D
The biggest boards found are usually 147 cm. If you can find a Liquid Force Huckster, it's a few years old model that is a good big guy board. I ride mine in the spring to get my wheels back, then switch to a couple of other higher performance boards I have.
The comparable current year model is called the Rhythm 147. It looks to be OK for beginners but has a three stage rocker (bottom arch) that the Huckster doesn't. A bit trickier to learn on.
Don't even bother trying to board with sandals. Big fockers have to work the board a lot more than lightweights and you just can't do it in sandals. Again, going the older equipment route I would look for some Hyperlite Moon Boots, a few years old but a good beginner boot. If you wear a size 13 plan on finding some XXL bindings. Not all manufacturers are sized the same, but the Moon Boots I have are just right for me.
I moved up to some laceup hipo bindings. They are a bitch to get on, and so choose carefully. Don't forget to buy some Spooge or you'll never get your foot in 'em.
Use a 70-80' rope. I suggest getting a rope made specifically for wakeboarding. Ski ropes act differently, stretch characteristics I guess. New for me this year: a helmet. I got a nasty concussion skiing in Colorado a few years back, and figured that head to board contact would mean a repeat trip to the E Room.
Find someone to give you a lesson. Getting up is a bit tricky for fatsos, and you might as well make it easy on yourself. Once you learn it's no sweat. Just remember for a while your best trick is gonna be a face plant. Close your eyes before you slap water, dummy.
Once you get all this down, don't forget to suck in your gut as you pass the girls on the river bank. :D :D

LASERRAY
04-07-2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by rrrr
Once you get all this down, don't forget to suck in your gut as you pass the girls on the river bank. :D :D
Size 13. The need to suck in the gut. Dude, you've got me pegged! LOL!:D

rrrr
04-07-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
Man you gotta be one limber SOB to hit your head on a wake board?
RD
They come off your feet when you crash hard.
edit: At least on fat guys they do. :D :D

Cas
04-07-2004, 11:25 PM
just put a set of bindings on a 4x8 sheet of 1 1/8" ply :D

Kachina26
04-08-2004, 05:38 AM
Ray, if that shoulder of yours ain't 100% or real close, I don't recommend it. Lots of fun, but you're gonna pay. I gotta setup that gets me up, actually got me up, I stopped after the shoulder surgery. I tried air chair last summer and paid for it big. I thought I was gonna try the board again, but probably not, we'll see. Anyway, like I was gonna say I got a set up that would most likely work for you so if we coordianate trips this summer, I can show ya how to get you and your girth out of the water.

MobyMan
04-08-2004, 05:46 AM
laserray,
I usually recommend that big guys go with Hyperlite. Hyperlite makes a much more sturdy board for larger riders.
You can go with the Hyperlite Motive 144, or the Hyperlite Vero 143.
As far as bindings are considered, I would recommend Hyperlite Splits, Hi-backs, or Temets. Liquid Force has a couple of good models as well. I'd go with Ultra Sucks or Pro Sucks.
You didn't mention a helmet. Most of the people I ride with are requiring that at least their kids wear helmets now. You'd be suprised how easy it is to ring your bell on the water.

Desert Rat
04-08-2004, 06:07 AM
How about an old garage door :D

Chase
04-08-2004, 06:30 AM
OK, I fit in to the category as mentioned above....there is a picture to prove it on here right now.....
Anyway I am currently running a Hyperlite Bellmont 140 SMU, and it seems to work excellent. I also have the hyperlite spin bindings which allow for more adjustment than a non-lace boot. Since a great deal of the people who spend time on my boat love wakeboarding...but don't have thier own board so this works great to suit everyones diffrent sizes etc.
All I can sy is go to a place that knows thier shit about the boards and tell them your situation and they will be able to guide you in the right direction. Don't get something that is too tame or too aggressive, since iether one won't be suitable either when you are learning, or have learnt and want to try some tricks.
If you go on the hyperlite web site they can give you information to look for in a purchase...
Oh yeah, and spend the money on a good NO STRETCH rope.

Waldo
04-08-2004, 11:00 AM
I'm 225 and I ride a CWB Absolute Platnum 140. It suits me just dandy. I actually learned on an old "directional" style wakeboard.
Also, I got the board, bindings, and rope from gotriver.com. He's a fellow ***boater. Click below for more info.

LASERRAY
04-08-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Desert Rat
How about an old garage door :D That's Classic!:D

rrrr
04-08-2004, 11:50 AM
In spite of a couple of other recommendations, I say stick with the 147 cm. More surface area supports more weight, and that means you can board at a slower speed. Going slower makes it easier to learn.
If you want to switch to a smaller board later, go for it. Personally, I have tried 143 cm boards and I don't like the increase in speed and instability.
Fat guys like it slow. :D :D

Chase
04-08-2004, 12:00 PM
I will point out that there is a good possibility that because people have indicated ....say a bellmont 140 ...that the board does not have to be 140cm in length. In fact my board I believe is 145 cm in actual length. I would not go any smaller, nor would i go any bigger. Anything bigger, it becomes cumbersome to do any tricks worth a damn.. you lose what they call the pop off the wake if things are too big.....

LASERRAY
04-08-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Chase
I I would not go any bigger. Anything bigger, it becomes cumbersome to do any tricks worth a damn.. you lose what they call the pop off the wake if things are too big..... SO I guess the garage door's out of the question.:D

Chase
04-08-2004, 12:04 PM
:D :D
That is entirely up to you

LASERRAY
04-08-2004, 12:34 PM
Thanks for all the good advice ***boaters.:)