PDA

View Full Version : What would YOU Do ???

Liberator TJ1984
04-08-2004, 01:39 PM
Leaving my place of employment after 13yrs. Can't take this crap any longer.. been "Demoted" but still have same job discription about 6 mos. ago with a 40% reduction in pay but still basicly got the same responibilities...Competetor offered me a hell of a deal to join them........already did physical and drug test for them too ......Do I give 2 wks. notice and continue to work ?? or give 2 wk. and take vacation, and tell them they are on their own which is what I feel like doing:D
Gopherrr

jackpunx
04-08-2004, 01:42 PM
from what you said.. I would give my 2 weeks and go with the other job

topless
04-08-2004, 01:46 PM
I say give your 2 weeks and good luck with the new job.

NastyOne
04-08-2004, 01:47 PM
You have to look at it like this. Would those pice of shit employers give you two weeks notice if they were going to let you go? I think not. They would hand you your check on Friday and tell you to get the **** out. Take two weeks off and clear your head for your next adventure in life.

THOR
04-08-2004, 01:47 PM
use up your sick time. I had the similar thing happen. F*&^ those guys for treating you like that. If you paid into the sick, you cant take it with you so use it up.

mirvin
04-08-2004, 01:52 PM
Yup. If you've been treated poorly, and you don't think there's a chance of you returning to work for them in the future, **** em. I might not even give the two weeks;)
If you decide to walk out on them at least give them a couple days so they can have your last check and vacatioin pay waiting for you;)
mirvin

jackpunx
04-08-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by THOR
use up your sick time. I had the similar thing happen. F*&^ those guys for treating you like that. If you paid into the sick, you cant take it with you so use it up.
OH.. yea.. use the sick time you have left..

HCS
04-08-2004, 01:54 PM
I know how you feel. I worked for one car dealership for 8 years.
After three years of what they called restructuring that cost me
three pay cuts in three years. I walked. No notice, just left work
one day and never looked back.:mad:
But I think if I ever get pissed again. I would give notice and take
the vacation. It didn't really show them anything, they didn't give
a shit.

slink
04-08-2004, 01:59 PM
Just be carefull not to burn any bridges. You never know when you might be looking for another job and may have to go back. If your new company will wait the two weeks I would stick it out. If they are not willing to wait for you, then bail. I was in the same position 3 yrs ago. I had already accepted the new job and put in my 2 week noticed. I then found out "they" werent going to cash out my 400+ hours of sick time, so I burned the two weeks. I later found out the powers to be weren't too happy and said if I ever tried to go back they wouldn't hire me back. That didn't sit too well w/ me since I had worked there over 10 years, but screw em' because I'm alot better off know in my new position. Just my.02

NorCalCat
04-08-2004, 02:08 PM
Give your 2 week notice, work if they as you to. Usually if you are going to a competetor, they will let you go ASAP! If you don't need vacation, take the $$$ and run. By law they have to pay you on your unused vaction time.
Always a good idea to leave the door open, don't burn any bridges.

Pointerman
04-08-2004, 02:14 PM
Yup, give notice and continue to work as usual. You never know when you might need that reference. NEVER burn bridges. What happens if the new company hires your old boss?

Essex502
04-08-2004, 02:16 PM
As another poster said...never, ever burn your bridges. you never know if you'll cross paths again with your previous company or someone you worked with there. Give the two weeks notice, cash out your sick leave and/or vacation, and adopt a big sh!t-eatin' grin and remember...your last two weeks are your best two weeks once you resign.

JetBoatRich
04-08-2004, 02:20 PM
First off good luck with the new job:D sounds like the right move.
Pretty traditional for a two week notice, but if they were jerks including your immediate supervisor split the difference with a week's notice.:D

THOR
04-08-2004, 02:21 PM
Can you cash out sick leave? I dont think so.

Scream
04-08-2004, 02:37 PM
Good points made.
1. Don't burn bridges, give your two weeks. Common courtesy. Don't bring yourself down to thier level.
2. Ask about the sick leave now. Don't leave it up in the air. If you have an employee manual, read it. It should say whether or not you can "take it with you". If it doesn't say one way or the other, you may have a case to get that reimbursed to you.
3. Make sure you don't "owe" them anything, like staplers or work related materials before you go. On the other hand, make sure you get everything you have coming also.
4. Read any "exit interview" materials they present to you thoroughly. Employers sometimes stick little nasties in these to get you in the wallet.
As an employer, it is my custom to give a person thier two weeks off with pay when they have the courtesy to give me notice, providing I don't need them to hang around and fill the spot.
One more thing. You may be eligible for unemployment compensation if they reduced your salary 40% w/o restructuring your job description or work hours. Even then, that's considered a catastrophic reduction in pay and you may be eligable for compensation for the loss...check it out.

Liberator TJ1984
04-08-2004, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the input peeps..;)
we lost a lot of business in Central America and the Senior employees with 20yrs or more they kept on and made positions back in the States for them..I was told one of them was taking my spot and either transferr to Wyoming or step down a Grade level and stay here ...since there was no increase in pay to move AND my house/land and belongings are Paid For , plus I am divorced with my Ex.has custody of my Boy, it was not practical to move ...Hence I stepped down and took the screwin'
The plan is to report Monday A.M. and tell them I will work until Friday then Take Vacation ...If they piss me off then I will walk after giving my notice...
Thanks for all the support ... the new job will be great as the main manager happens to be a close friend...:) he finally pryed my ass away $$$$ from here

BUSTI
04-08-2004, 04:33 PM
Give the traditional 2 weeks notice and let them make the call if you leave early. Make sure you get whats coming ot you but remember when you do the honorable thing it always seems to help you in the long run. Especially if by leaving early pits the other employees you have worked with for years in a bad way cuz now they are short handed and or maybe one of those people that are coworkers some day becomes your supervisor do you really want them to have a bad feeling about you?
Think about it and do the right thing!

mickeyfinn
04-08-2004, 05:24 PM
I can't believe how many people here actually suggest leaving with anything other than a two weeks notice. Even if you have been screwed over you had the option of taking or leaving it. You are only worth the minimum you are really willing to work for. If the pay you are making now is below that amount you should give 110% while you are there as you agreed to work for it anyway. Give the two weeks notice. If they offer to let you leave earlier that is cool, 13 years is a long time period to leave blank on a resume so if you are looking for a job in the future you will have to disclose this one. One thing you don't need is for a potential employer to call your reference and be told that "well he was a pretty good worker but left us high and dry with no notice" I don't know about people out west but in a majority of business here on the east coast that will get your resume tossed immediately. I would not even interview someone who had that reference.
Just my .02 worth

Scream
04-08-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by mickeyfinn
I can't believe how many people here actually suggest leaving with anything other than a two weeks notice. Even if you have been screwed over you had the option of taking or leaving it. You are only worth the minimum you are really willing to work for. If the pay you are making now is below that amount you should give 110% while you are there as you agreed to work for it anyway. Give the two weeks notice. If they offer to let you leave earlier that is cool, 13 years is a long time period to leave blank on a resume so if you are looking for a job in the future you will have to disclose this one. One thing you don't need is for a potential employer to call your reference and be told that "well he was a pretty good worker but left us high and dry with no notice" I don't know about people out west but in a majority of business here on the east coast that will get your resume tossed immediately. I would not even interview someone who had that reference.
Just my .02 worth
You're right, but if a previous employer gave a potential employer any, repeat, any derrogatory information they are liable for both compensitory (lost wages) and punitive damages. Giving out accurate information on a former employee is a big no no anymore.

Mohavekid
04-08-2004, 07:16 PM
Do the right thing.
Give them the customary 2 weeks notice and work your ass off while you're still there.
You never know when things might change and you need a job from your soon to be ex-employer in the future. Never burn your bridges.
Good luck on your new job.

H20bug
04-08-2004, 07:31 PM
I would: in order
1.) give the customary 2 week notice
2.) continue to bust ass, those last weeks.
3.) Tell them to go pound sand!
4.) then work hard & enjoy my new employment:)

ROZ
04-08-2004, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by THOR
Can you cash out sick leave? I dont think so.
That's exactly I have always used my sick pay, otherwise know as discretionary pay, before I use my vacation time... As a matter of fact, Ill be using some in a couple weeks :D

HCS
04-08-2004, 08:06 PM
You know. You don't have to give any ****ing notice if you don't
want to. Do whatever you want. Who gives a shit. **** you
bastards that think you need to be notified everytime something
happens. Go get a life and leave the assholes behind you. that's
where assholes belong. BEHIND YOU!:D

CA Stu
04-08-2004, 09:06 PM
Give 2 weeks notice and do mega lung buster bong hits in the parking lot before work every day.
I'm thinking "Spicoli gets a job" for the last 2 weeks.
Have a good time. ALL the time. :D
Good Luck
CA Stu
PS Ear!!

cruser
04-08-2004, 11:16 PM
Don't be surprised if they decide to walk you out when you give notice. Depending on your position, my company will do just that.
cruzer

Freak
04-09-2004, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by cruser
Don't be surprised if they decide to walk you out when you give notice. Depending on your position, my company will do just that.
cruzer
Exactly - that has happened to me.