PDA

View Full Version : Vacation ideas?

Jrocket
04-08-2004, 04:00 PM
Im going to take a week off,load the wife and kid up and go for a road trip.I need some ideas of where to go.I plan on staying at motels through out the trip.I just cant think of a good route or interesting plan yet.Grand Canyon and Yosemite came to mind but wouldnt mind heading to the mid west area.Any ideas of where to go.I might even take 2 weeks of,just depends on where Im going.Is there anything to see in the mid west?Maybe head up to the Coors plant in Colorado.Ive been there before,its awesome to see.How about some ideas. :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-08-2004, 04:02 PM
are you gettin outta cali.. J/K :D

clownpuncher
04-08-2004, 04:04 PM
Head North. NorCal coastline, Napa, San Fran. I did that a couple years ago, love it everytime I'm there.

little rowe boat
04-08-2004, 04:09 PM
Roadtrips are alot of fun.Carlsbad caverns,Grand canyon,if you go into Texas visit the Alamo in San Antonio.
If you head up the coast Hearst castle,Napa for the wine tasting of course,monterey will be beautiful,go to Frisco and fishermans warf,sausalito:cool:

Scream
04-08-2004, 04:15 PM
Took the family on one of those in 95. Two weeks. We had a destination in mind to visit some of my wife's family in East Texas. Went to the Auto Club and told them I wanted to see all the balls of twine and largest spitwads on the way. We had a great trip. Camped the whole way to and from and saved big bucks. Most KOA's have showers, so hygiene isn't an issue.

BUSTI
04-08-2004, 04:23 PM
Sedona is beautiful!

Jrocket
04-08-2004, 04:29 PM
We did a short 4 day trip up to Monterey and Laguna Seca.Then back down the coast the whole way.That was a good drive.I havent been to the Grand Canyon yet so Im thinking of heading that way.The wife hates winding roads and my daughter might not like the long drive but they have NO choice!So far those are some good ideas.
Any more?
Anthing interesting to see in Texas or abouts?

Jrocket
04-08-2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by MRS FLYIN VEE
are you gettin outta cali.. J/K :D
Hell yes! Trip around the country side.We might have Christmas in Maui this year.Ive never done that but Ive heard its excellent.The whole family might go.

LaveyJet
04-08-2004, 04:31 PM
Try the Southwest, check out The Grand Circle (http://www.grandcircle.org/destinations/index.htm)
Took a road trip there last month, Monument Valley, Setting of mant John Wayne - John Ford westerns. Also all of the national parks.

Scream
04-08-2004, 04:32 PM
One more thing. Either install a LCD DVD system or get a portable to keep the kid happy/busy. Lemme tell ya, an unbusy kid is an unhappy kid, and an unhappy kid makes a miserable trip.
Just my experience.

Tom Slick
04-08-2004, 04:34 PM
When are you going to take your trip?

coolchange
04-08-2004, 04:35 PM
1 north, best road trip there is. Santa Barbara, Morro bay, San Simeon, Big Sur, Monterey, SF, Sasalito house boats, Napa valley, Red woods.

Jrocket
04-08-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Scream
One more thing. Either install a LCD DVD system or get a portable to keep the kid happy/busy. Lemme tell ya, an unbusy kid is an unhappy kid, and an unhappy kid makes a miserable trip.
Just my experience.
Way ahead of ya on this one.She definately gets restless quick.I might even drive during the night and just hang out during the day.It will be interesting to say the least at first.She's 20 months old and always bizzy.:D

1stepcloser
04-08-2004, 04:36 PM
Did that a couple of years ago.
Went up to a little town about an hour east of Sacramento, stayed in a really nice campground for a couple of days, drove intot Sacto, did all the touristy stuff....had a good time, spent the next 6 days driving the 49er trail back down, saw all kind of cool places along the way.....stayed at three rivers for a couple of nights and daytripped into Sequoia National forest.
There are hundreds of neat little places right here in California, I figured we would make the 49er in about two days, camping along the way, (well RV actually) wound up taking 5 nights.
Good times.

Jrocket
04-08-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Tom Slick
When are you going to take your trip?
Not sure yet.My new truck will be here on the 19th of this month.Im in the early planning stage now.
I am planning a trip to Ceadr City Utah for some riding at the MX track up there.That will be soon I hope.

RiverToysJas
04-08-2004, 04:49 PM
For our 10 Year Wedding Anniversary we went around the country on Amtrak. It was Very cool. My family has long history of Railroad workers. My Grandfather, and all of his brothers retired from the Illinios Central. So before there are no more trains, we wanted to take a long ride. We had a "family cabin" all of the way. Me, My two month pregnent wife, and our 2 yo son went from - Los Angeles, to Orlando Florida (world trade center was hit 4 hours after we got into my Grandmother's house in Florida), we stayed four days in FLorida, then went to Washington DC, 4 days after the attacks of Sept 11th, spend a whole day walking DC, then went to Chicago, stayed three days there, then back to Fullerton, where we walked to our house in Fullerton to end the trip! It was two full weeks and a great experience!!! We'd like to do it again, but go north to Seattle, over to Chicago, then back through Denver to San Fran and back to LA, maybe someday.... :D
I think that was 23 states, and over 7000 miles.
RTJas :D

Jrocket
04-08-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by titties and beer
let me know ,and we can have a beer or 10 :D
You bet.I lived in Cedar for 4 years,but spent all my time up in Brianhead.:D
In high school we used to go to a place just north of St.George,west side of the freeway,across from the lake.It had some bad ass hiking and trails,with pools and water falss.Do you remember the name of that place?Red bluffs maybe?

Jrocket
04-08-2004, 05:02 PM
I had a train trip in mind also but I just bought a new truck and want to do the road trip.Rough it.
What I dont understand is why someone would move from Fullerton to GG.:confused:

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-08-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Jrocket
Hell yes! Trip around the country side.We might have Christmas in Maui this year.Ive never done that but Ive heard its excellent.The whole family might go.
that sounds cool. I have never been there.. :( :D :D :D

Jrocket
04-08-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by titties and beer
red cliffs:D
Thats it! That place is bitchen when the water is running.I spent alot of days there drinking beer and chasing girls.Awesome place.Is it still the same?Is the lake still there,across the freeway?

Jrocket
04-08-2004, 05:06 PM
that sounds cool. I have never been there.. :( :D :D :D
Oh NO! Maui is a must see place.Kaanapali shores or Napili shores is secluded and very nice.Ritz Carlton is an unbeleivable place to stay.

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-08-2004, 05:09 PM
Oh NO! Maui is a must see place.Kaanapali shores or Napili shores is secluded and very nice.Ritz Carlton is an unbeleivable place to stay.
We will have to check it out. we have been trying to get there but money is tight right now. :D ;)

RiverToysJas
04-08-2004, 05:12 PM
What I dont understand is why someone would move from Fullerton to GG.:confused:
Mainly the 10 degree summer temp difference (we're 4 miles from the ocean now)!!! ;) and MUCH better schools.
RTJas :D

Debbolas
04-08-2004, 05:17 PM
We will have to check it out. we have been trying to get there but money is tight right now. :D ;)
We got a new boat instead of a vacation to Hawaii....
Hawaii is cool, but expensive, and then I was thinking, do you know how there are are good and bad places at the river? I don't know the good places at Hawaii, what if we get stuck at a Havasu Springs type place.....I am sure we will do it someday...
:)

Jrocket
04-08-2004, 05:42 PM
Whats wrong with Havasu Springs?

Debbolas
04-08-2004, 05:44 PM
I think it was Havasu Springs, on the California Side, we went there in June right when about 100,000 mosquitos hatched, the beach was sucky and the rv sites were like right next to each other....
Park Moabe is our favorite place, the pennisula camping, they have hookups now, so you have to call one year in advance, pretty much.

Jrocket
04-08-2004, 05:50 PM
Havasu Landing maybe? Havasu Springs is right at Havasu dam.

Debbolas
04-08-2004, 05:55 PM
Maybe your right, sorry, it is Havasu Landing, not fun....

Jrocket
04-08-2004, 05:58 PM
I think you would like Havasu Springs.Awesome bar!:D

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-08-2004, 05:59 PM
I will agree. the bloody mary's are awesome. too.. :D

Debbolas
04-08-2004, 06:00 PM
Wet bar or Sand bar........
When I first heard people saying "Meet you at the Sand Bar"
I thought we were going to a real bar!
lol

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-08-2004, 06:03 PM
this one would be wet.. and I asked the same thing about the sand bar. LMAO!! :D

Jrocket
04-08-2004, 06:07 PM
No,its a restuarant bar.You can pull the boat up,put it in one of the slips and walk right up to the bar.Its one of my favorite places to eat dinner and drink some beers.

Jrocket
04-08-2004, 06:24 PM
What about the Oregon ,Washington area? Ive been up in that area but I was only about 12 then.Maybe up to crater lake or through the big red woods?

redneckgirl
04-08-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Debbolas
We got a new boat instead of a vacation to Hawaii....
Hawaii is cool, but expensive, and then I was thinking, do you know how there are are good and bad places at the river? I don't know the good places at Hawaii, what if we get stuck at a Havasu Springs type place.....I am sure we will do it someday...
:)
I know what you mean...we don't take big vacations, instead we love our weekends at the lake...It is 45 minutes from our house to beeing on the water at Lake Nacimiento...We bought the new Shockwave this year... My boss thought it was alot of money for a boat. What he didn't understand was we spent all our money up front instead of it all year long...My boss has a Boston Whaler and loves to go out on the ocean , but his family is not interested...so he thinks custom (expensive) boats are a waste of money...They take alot of trips, actually they are in London for 2 weeks as I type... One day he tries to tell me they take big vacations to spend time with his family... but couldn't finish his statement because he realized that is why we now have the Shockwave... He doesn't say anything about our mini vacations to the lake anymore... :D :D :D We all have different opinions and needs, ours is the lake and the Shockwave... :D :cool:
RNG

rivercrazy
04-08-2004, 07:35 PM
Ritz Carlton in Kapalua is an unbeleivable place to stay.
That place is incrediable. We spend our honeymoon there...

Jrocket
04-08-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
That place is incrediable. We spend our honeymoon there...
Golf course is amazing!

rivercrazy
04-08-2004, 07:47 PM
I didn't play much golf then but do a bit now. I remember that course being pretty expensive to play but it looks awesome

SoCalOffshore
04-08-2004, 09:19 PM
Kapalua is great. I have stayed their several times and played all 3 courses. The Ocean course is great and the Plantation is totally unreal. I like to stay at the Golf Villas. Along the fairway with an ocean view. I wish I was there right now!!

INXS
04-09-2004, 04:23 AM
It's 90 miles SSE of Portland.
http://www.oregoncitylink.com/bend/

Debbolas
04-09-2004, 09:44 AM
this one would be wet.. and I asked the same thing about the sand bar. LMAO!! :D
No Way! lol
(I thought I was the only one)
:D

Debbolas
04-09-2004, 09:45 AM
No,its a restuarant bar.You can pull the boat up,put it in one of the slips and walk right up to the bar.Its one of my favorite places to eat dinner and drink some beers.
We will HAVE to try that....
:D

Debbolas
04-09-2004, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by redneckgirl
I know what you mean...we don't take big vacations, instead we love our weekends at the lake...It is 45 minutes from our house to beeing on the water at Lake Nacimiento...We bought the new Shockwave this year... My boss thought it was alot of money for a boat. What he didn't understand was we spent all our money up front instead of it all year long...My boss has a Boston Whaler and loves to go out on the ocean , but his family is not interested...so he thinks custom (expensive) boats are a waste of money...They take alot of trips, actually they are in London for 2 weeks as I type... One day he tries to tell me they take big vacations to spend time with his family... but couldn't finish his statement because he realized that is why we now have the Shockwave... He doesn't say anything about our mini vacations to the lake anymore... :D :D :D We all have different opinions and needs, ours is the lake and the Shockwave... :D :cool:
RNG
Nice boat!
I know what you mean, my folks take cruises and are always trying to get us to go on one, I tried to explain that our "vacation cruise" money is all tied up in the motorhome and boat payments.
I love our trips to the river!

Sleek-Jet
04-09-2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by LaveyJet
Try the Southwest, check out The Grand Circle (http://www.grandcircle.org/destinations/index.htm)
Took a road trip there last month, Monument Valley, Setting of mant John Wayne - John Ford westerns. Also all of the national parks.
If you make it all the way to Mesa Verde, stop in to the Main Street Brewery in Cortez... outstanding micro brew... Try the Porter, Honey Wheat is good also. :D
Pack for any weather if you do this within the next couple weeks. The 4 corners area can either be 80 and sunny or snowing like a bastard, depending on the day. This time of year the storms don't last long, so don't worry about weather ruining the entire trip.