PDA

View Full Version : How to make it shiny for a long time!

rrrr
04-09-2004, 10:01 AM
I pulled the enjum out of my v drive last week, I'm going to repolish all the aluminum parts and make everything pretty again. Once that is done I am going to coat all the parts with this stuff called Renovac.
It's a clear sealer that really works well. Heheh, this is sorta spam because they sponsor our car. But really, folks.
IndyCar teams spend hundreds of man hours polishing the magnesium wheels on the cars. We had our seven sets polished and coated with Renovac at the beginning of the season and they still look great. Not as good as a freshly polished wheel but from 10' away they look the same.
The website is still under development. If anyone wants some more info let me know.
Renovac website (http://www.renovacauto.com/)
http://www.renovacauto.com/img/hm_product.jpg
This is what my engine looked like right after I finished it last year:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/109FE3195-med.jpg
I'm looking forward to having it stay that way this time.

Tom Brown
04-09-2004, 10:05 AM
That's all well and good but what about people who enjoy polishing?

FRENCHIE
04-09-2004, 10:05 AM
looks nicer than my hog!:D

JetBoatRich
04-09-2004, 10:08 AM
WOWlooks great

rrrr
04-09-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
That's all well and good but what about people who enjoy polishing?
It's for aluminum, not your knob, Tom. :D
I forgot to mention this is made by the Nyalic people, just a new product and marketing deal. I know some of you are familiar with that product.

Tom Brown
04-09-2004, 10:12 AM
Oh. http://www.havasubarney.com/forums/html/emoticons/huh.gif

HCS
04-09-2004, 10:28 AM
Is that the same stuff they use on factory chrome wheels?
How does it hold up against chemicals or cleaning agents.

rrrr
04-09-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by HARDCORE-SKI
Is that the same stuff they use on factory chrome wheels?
How does it hold up against chemicals or cleaning agents.
It's not factory clearcoat stuff, but when applied to a bare aluminum wheel it looks just like it.
It's not affected by normal cleaning stuff. We use Xylene to remove it, and it takes a little bit of effort to remove. The wheels on our IndyCar still look good after two 300 mile races that included around 400 miles of practice and quals. The wheels are too hot to handle with bare hands upon removal after a run, so temperature doesn't effect it. I think the recommended max temp is 350 deg, and the aluminum parts on my motor run cooler than that.
There is a three step prep process before application. The plan is to sell everything as a kit, the coating is contained in a pressurized spray can like paint.
I will report back to you all after I'm done, let you know how well it holds up.

Itsahobby
04-09-2004, 11:03 AM
I tried to find the price, on their website, but no luck.
Do you know how much it is?
Can I get it locally?(San Jose, Ca.)
Thanks,
Hobby

HM
04-09-2004, 11:09 AM
Nice!!
Two words though.....
TORQUE TUBE!
There is a company down in Placentia called AC Products (Owned by Quaker Chemical) that is working on similar products. They have one product that is a temp coating for gel coat to eliminate water spots. They throw in some UV inhibitors (HALS, absorbers, and reflectants) to help prolong the gel coat. These products are still in the R&D phase.

rrrr
04-09-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Itsahobby
I tried to find the price, on their website, but no luck.
Do you know how much it is?
Can I get it locally?(San Jose, Ca.)
Thanks,
Hobby
I'll try to find out this week. We are leaving Monday for Japan, our next race is there. The race is Saturday night, 8:30 PM PDT.
I get a free eight day trip to Japan, paid for by Honda. :D :D

jlnorthrup122
04-09-2004, 06:53 PM
how does it affect paint??

rrrr
04-09-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by jlnorthrup122
how does it affect paint??
I don't think it would cause a problem based on what I've seen. But the primary application for this stuff is bare metals...
I will try to learn more about it and report back.