PDA

View Full Version : Diesel costs up to unleaded??

Lightning
04-12-2004, 09:36 AM
Diesel prices are more than Regular Unleaded in a lot of stations lately. One of the reasons i bought a diesel was due to lower costs of the fuel. It just pisses me off, last year when the gas prices were over $2 a gallon, diesel was about $1.50, now they are about the same wherever you go.

victorfb
04-12-2004, 09:42 AM
and i cant understand why. diesel is the dregs of fuel. the crap that doesnt make it in regular gas. so why is it so expensive? anyone wanna tell us?:mad:

Havasu Cig
04-12-2004, 09:42 AM
It is bullshit, but I think with diesels becoming more popular it has driven the price up.
When I was getting my pilots license they talked about the different grads of fuel and how they were processed. Diesel was basically the stuff that was left over if I remember correctly. No reason it shoul be as high as it is.

PHX ATC
04-12-2004, 10:25 AM
Can you say corporate greed?

jackpunx
04-12-2004, 10:30 AM
Paid 214 in AZ this weekend ... :confused:

BALLSDEEP
04-12-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Havasu Cig
It is bullshit, but I think with diesels becoming more popular it has driven the price up.
When I was getting my pilots license they talked about the different grads of fuel and how they were processed. Diesel was basically the stuff that was left over if I remember correctly. No reason it shoul be as high as it is.
I can remember when I first bought my powerstroke in '99. Diesel was like .85 a gallon, I could fill it up for less that $40 bucks. I just filled up yesterday and it was over $80.....It really pisses me off, Just like you I thought that diesel was pretty much the crap at the bottom of the barrel. I think it is a huge scam!!!!!!!!!

BowTie Rick
04-12-2004, 11:44 AM
Just wait and see what happens when they start reformulating it in the next year or two. They are going to take most of the sulfer out of it here in CA. The AQMD and CARB have found that diesels (including ships in harbor) constitue a proportionately large amount to poor air quality. So far they oil industry has been able to get time to study the issue or else it would be in effect already. These same 2 agencies also want diesels to get catalytic convertors and undergo regular emissions testing. If / when this happens, the diesel pick up will be a thing of the past or only cost effective for commercial uses.

77charger
04-12-2004, 03:27 PM
I think the increased sales of trucks with diesels.the demand for the fuel now might have to do with increasing prices.The past couple of weeks i have been paying attention to full size trucks and it seems like every ford i see is a diesel,Quite a bit of chevys,and dodge as well.
I know it is a by product of reg gas but what maybe 5 gallons of 30.Just seems like supply and demand with everyone going diesel now.
I wonder how much it will go down now and if the extra price of a diesel is worth it.I have heard with cheap price fuel it takes about 100 k before you break even with a gasser.Seems like most dont even keep their trucks that long

Rubths
04-12-2004, 04:19 PM
I just paid $2.08 in escondido today.

Jrocket
04-12-2004, 04:56 PM
Well it figures that the price would go up just when I order my first diesel.I paid 2.24 at the Shell station in Temecula last Friday.What a f'n rip!:mad:

PHX ATC
04-12-2004, 07:18 PM
$1.93 out in cowcountry, Chandler, AZ.

HammerDown
04-12-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Lightning
Diesel prices are more than Regular Unleaded in a lot of stations lately. One of the reasons i bought a diesel was due to lower costs of the fuel.
It's been just as high or higher than Premium Gas around my neck of the woods for years and years!
I bought my Diesel back in 1988. Fuel (diesel) was way lower than Regular Gas .65 cents a gallon ring a bell.
The 1'st time in a long time yesterday I got Diesel for $1.43 in New Jersey. In Pa. my state it's $1.90.
Back when I got my truck very few diesels runing around...no one wanted them.
Now almost everyone has to have one...I would have to blame part of the price hike is due to the popularity now of Diesel Trucks.

Kilrtoy
04-12-2004, 10:00 PM
Saw that , It is a scam

JetBoatRich
04-13-2004, 04:36 AM
Diesel went up 20 cents in one week at home:mad: I paid $2.37 last week in town:yuk:
When I make the commute home, best I found was $2.09

bigq
04-14-2004, 01:11 PM
WTF is going on? I bought my fist diesel in Jan 04 and I just saw that at the Shell stations it was the most expensive, even more than premium. Now I know they are scamming us, diesel cost less to process than the regular gas, pissing me off, makes a diesel not worth it.:mad:

JetBoatRich
04-14-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by bigq
WTF is going on? I bought my fist diesel in Jan 04 and I just saw that at the Shell stations it was the most expensive, even more than premium. Now I know they are scamming us, diesel cost less to process than the regular gas, pissing me off, makes a diesel not worth it.:mad:
I get better MPG and increased power over my old gas engine:D but I agree the prices suck:yuk:

77charger
04-14-2004, 03:38 PM
It might cost less but it is a by product of gas So you only get so many gallons from refinig compared to gas.Diesel prices going up it is supply and demand yesterday i saw 20 full size fords in a short time 14 of those were powerstrokes.Saw on the way home diesel was 2.35 super was 2.34 unleaded 2.17.
Reg gas can be bought on any corner it seems that diesel is sold at fewer stations and i think it will only get worse since diesels are selling fast.Oh but they do get great mpg dont they? and less to maintain than gas:confused:

bigq
04-14-2004, 07:21 PM
I thought Diesel was not as refined and was not processed as much, but it is what is left over after reg gas is made? If it goes up too high it won't be worth it, you would never make up the difference in cost.

bigq
04-14-2004, 07:41 PM
this is intresting(if you are bored). It tells how fuel and other products are made from crude.
How Fuel is made (http://science.howstuffworks.com/oil-refining.htm)

77charger
04-14-2004, 08:44 PM
When i had auto shop in high school our teacher gave us a rundown on a barrel of oil and a breakdown of what comes from it percentage wise.Was over along time ago i forgot.
Plastics,jet fuel,diesel fuel,other oils etc.

HammerDown
04-15-2004, 11:33 AM
I thought Diesel was not as refined and was not processed as much, but it is what is left over after reg gas is made? If it goes up too high it won't be worth it, you would never make up the difference in cost.
Your exactly right! back in 1988 when I got my 1'st Diesel it was a $1,800 option and fuel was CHEAP! Plus I bought the truck for work/pleasure/tow.
Today, unless you need the Diesel for long haul or some type of work related purpose, or were going to keep it a very long-long time to reep the long life thoses engines offer. Just rideing around the neighborhood poseing with that big engine...you'll never get back the extra $$$ layed out for the Diesel Engine option. Especially now with the BS fuel prices were paying at the pump :mad:
Personally, as much as I like my old none computer controlled simple Diesel Ford (and it's been just awsome). I'd now have to re think purchasing a new Diesel.

Give Me Some Slack
04-15-2004, 07:47 PM
Lately I have seen that diesel prices have been even more than gas. How high can the prices go? I think next the government will build a car with nuclear power. Maybe that would be better? Who knows?

JetBoatRich
04-15-2004, 07:49 PM
It needs to drop soon:mad: summer is coming:cool: :cool:

77charger
04-15-2004, 08:05 PM
i figured today that a diesel will save me about 5 bucks per 300 miles not alot imo to offset the cost .Reg at 2.10 diesel at 2.30

HammerDown
04-15-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by 77charger
i figured today that a diesel will save me about 5 bucks per 300 miles not alot imo to offset the cost .Reg at 2.10 diesel at 2.30
Not to mention, did you take into consideration the extra oil used in the Diesel + the cost of Fuel Filters $$$ ouch!

77charger
04-15-2004, 09:01 PM
yup hammerdown i am aware of that.I do own a gasser i am not much of a diesel fan IMO alot of hype i have driven cummins both 12v and 24v motors and i just dont think are what most claim.Plus all the probs that they had too.We just got rid of all our diesel work trucks (kept 2 as spare trucks)But went to chevy gassers 6.0 motors they do pretty good for the motor size and so far seem good.Mpg is around 10 with them compared to 12 with the diesels

Just Tool'n
04-16-2004, 05:12 PM
Hell, I am 43 years old, I remember when in Elementry school they used diesel to kill weeds & the grass on the school playground. Every spring they used diesel to put on the grass to make the lines for the 400 meter oval track for track & field.
That was when diesel was .05 cents a gallon.
Go make buddies with a farmer, They buy diesel for 1/2 of the regular cost, No taxes, thats what cost so much!
Goverment at its finest!!!!

Outnumbered
04-18-2004, 11:09 PM
yup hammerdown i am aware of that.I do own a gasser i am not much of a diesel fan IMO alot of hype i have driven cummins both 12v and 24v motors and i just dont think are what most claim.Plus all the probs that they had too.We just got rid of all our diesel work trucks (kept 2 as spare trucks)But went to chevy gassers 6.0 motors they do pretty good for the motor size and so far seem good.Mpg is around 10 with them compared to 12 with the diesels
Not aware of any problems with Cummins motors. They are about the most reliable out there. New ones come with a 100k warranty, no gasser offers that. Fuel filters cost me less than my chevy at about $11 each. After doing a lot of research I went diesel for the longevity, power, and the potential for mods unlike any you can do on a gasser for the $$. My 4x4 auto gets about 16-17mpg and sticks/4x2s get 20mpg+. The fuel savings of the diesel was not a high priority for me but did help off-set the xtra cost of the motor upgrade.
I agree prices suck but that is not why I bought a 3/4 ton truck. I have a Toyota for economy. The truck is for torque.
OL

77charger
04-19-2004, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Old Lavey
Not aware of any problems with Cummins motors. They are about the most reliable out there. New ones come with a 100k warranty, no gasser offers that. Fuel filters cost me less than my chevy at about $11 each. After doing a lot of research I went diesel for the longevity, power, and the potential for mods unlike any you can do on a gasser for the $$. My 4x4 auto gets about 16-17mpg and sticks/4x2s get 20mpg+. The fuel savings of the diesel was not a high priority for me but did help off-set the xtra cost of the motor upgrade.
I agree prices suck but that is not why I bought a 3/4 ton truck. I have a Toyota for economy. The truck is for torque.
OL Well turbos went out,fuel pump probs,cracked exh mainfold,one cracked block,Injector probs,water pump on 1 truck, plus some other minor thingss,mainly the newer 24 valve trucks 98,99 year.Oh and of course the trannys.We always had a truck at the dealership for repair.All less than 120k started at 45k with probs

PHX ATC
04-19-2004, 12:27 PM
Well turbos went out,fuel pump probs,cracked exh mainfold,one cracked block,Injector probs,water pump on 1 truck, plus some other minor thingss,mainly the newer 24 valve trucks 98,99 year.Oh and of course the trannys.We always had a truck at the dealership for repair.All less than 120k started at 45k with probs
Between the 98 and 00 years they had a bad casting of blocks. The dreaded "53" block. Cummins knows this and replaced them if they split. The 24V engines from 98 (I think) to 02 have piss poor designed lift pumps. These are pusher pumps but Chrysler in their smartness made them "puller" pumps in their location. Those fail, then if you don't watch your fuel pressure, it will kill the VP44 Bosch injector pump for major $$$.
The auto trannies were sucky (47RE) up to 2003/4 were the beefed them up a bit. Still not as good as Ford's in my opinion. But, this is a Chrysler issue, not Cummins.
All the diesels are good with some bad points. Chevy's injector problems and rumoured tranny problems - although I'd take an Ally tranny any day of the week. Ford with their software and injector issues with oil in the fuel & vice versa.
I think I'm going to buy a bicycle as my next mode of transport.:D