PDA

View Full Version : The "Week that Was"

summerlove
04-12-2004, 12:47 PM
Well, last Saturday I rented the u-haul truck, loaded it up and left on Sunday for Havasu for the week. John (Warlock25) stopped by and helped me unload a few things from the truck, and then the wife and kids arrived in a separate vehicle a few hours later.
Later that evening, I got a call that my 18 year old niece (a feshman at ASU) was seriously injured back home in a horse riding incident. She was airlifted to the local trauma center and was in ICU with a serious head/brain injury. Since she was in ICU and we couldn't do anything about it, we stayed in havasu and continued to get updates on her condition, which improved as the week went on, but still stuck in ICU.
John and Michelle came over for dinner on Tuesday nioght, and we had some great filet's from Costco! Awesome. Wednesday, we hit the lake for the 3rd straight day and had awesome weather again - no wind - highs in the upper 80's and water in the low 70's (I'm guessing). Went to dinner wednesday night and my phone rang....:frown:
It was our dog sitter. We have a 13 (almost 14) year old collie named Bailey. Bailey has been in OK condition and has been doing very well lately, so I was kinda surprised that the call came in that he was not moving, was breathing heavily and could not get up. The vet came to the house and toild us that it was time:cry: to say good bye. On Thursday morning, we gave the go-ahead to put the dog down.
My wife and I both cried but we kept the tears form the kids as we dind't want them to know until we got home because they had friends with them. We didn't want it to be a bummer for them as well.
Later that day, while hanging in Steamboat Cove, my wife says to me, Honey, we need to talk! I'm thinking, OMG! What Next!!!She says we need to talk about buying a bigger boat! Whew, dodged that bullet!
Got home Friday, told the kids about Bailey (very sad), found out that my niece was getting out of ICU and would make a full recovery, and started looking for a bigger boat!
What a week, emotional, fun, sad, and very cool. kind of hard to explain, but the emotions were all there:confused: :D :( :cry:
Now I'm back at work and wishing I was back at the river....oh well....

FMluvswater
04-12-2004, 01:11 PM
Glad your niece is doing better. Prayers for a full recovery. Sorry to hear about the loss of your family pet. :(
Hopefully here on out will be a lot less rocky for you and yours. :)

Havasu_Dreamin
04-12-2004, 01:20 PM
DAMN Rick! Sorry to hear about all of that. Glad to hear your neice is doing well. So, you going to sell Summerlove for the bigger boat?

summerlove
04-12-2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin
DAMN Rick! Sorry to hear about all of that. Glad to hear your neice is doing well. So, you going to sell Summerlove for the bigger boat?
SL will be buried with me! :) Unless, of course, I take her up and buy a "new" 28' Campbell!!!

phebus
04-12-2004, 01:38 PM
I saw you and your boatfull going through the channel last week. It looks to me like a deckboat is in your future. :D

Froggystyle
04-12-2004, 01:44 PM
Good/bad story. I am happy that all is well (except for Bailey of course) and your niece is doing well.
Glad you saved your trip though!

fourspeednup
04-12-2004, 01:55 PM
Talk about an emotional rollercoaster:eek: :frown:
Glad to hear your niece(a fellow sundevil) is gonna recover, sucks about the dog---they are a member of the family:(

summerlove
04-12-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by phebus
I saw you and your boatfull going through the channel last week. It looks to me like a deckboat is in your future. :D
I'm thinking a Hallet 270 cuddy/BR! Why didn't you flag me down! I could have used some male companionship as I was there with my wife and daughters and they each brought a friend - 4 twelve year olds! Man, I'm in for it....

phebus
04-12-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by summerlove
I'm thinking a Hallet 270 cuddy/BR! Why didn't you flag me down! I could have used some male companionship as I was there with my wife and daughters and they each brought a friend - 4 twelve year olds! Man, I'm in for it....
I was afraid to offer you a beer, too many women mad at me when one turns to two, turns to three, etc. Actually, saw you going by and was admiring that classic Cambell, should have yelled out but didn't. Next time, I owe you.

Mr.Havasu
04-12-2004, 06:03 PM
Hi Rick,
It was nice to see you and Johnna, Thanks again for having us over for the out of this world steak dinner. Glad you had a nice vacation even though it was saddened by the lose of Bailey.
We're happy to hear your niece is improving. John took his girls out Saturday while I worked it was wild. Next time we need to do some boating together.
Michele