PDA

View Full Version : concrete floor acid/stain

91nordic29
04-12-2004, 03:00 PM
has anyone ever used this technique? it looks pretty cool ti use in lieu of ceramic tile. just wondered if anyone had any exp with it.:confused:

91nordic29
04-12-2004, 03:41 PM
well this topic sank like a rock!!!:( :D :p

AdrenelineOD
04-12-2004, 03:45 PM
You mean taking stains out or staining it with acid? I do concrete but I have only herd of pigment for color.

BROS&HOS
04-12-2004, 03:45 PM
a buddy of mine does it. It looks sweet. He also just got into doing overlays. It goes down 1/4" thick and they can stamp it just like stamped concrete. They can make it look like slate, tiles, cool stone patterns, etc. He just did his family room with a large random stone pattern and it looks really cool.

91nordic29
04-12-2004, 03:48 PM
that stamping is nice.
the method i am looking at doing isstaining. i guess you wash the concrete with some acide mixture and the apply the stain. you can leave it dull or add a shiny sealer.
it reallyy does look nice. thinking of doing the living room and right on out to the patio

AdrenelineOD
04-12-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by BROS&HOS
a buddy of mine does it. It looks sweet. He also just got into doing overlays. It goes down 1/4" thick and they can stamp it just like stamped concrete. They can make it look like slate, tiles, cool stone patterns, etc. He just did his family room with a large random stone pattern and it looks really cool. This is good but don`t drop anything on it

NastyOne
04-12-2004, 03:50 PM
Concrete in your livingroom:confused: Sounds cool:yuk:

AdrenelineOD
04-12-2004, 04:24 PM
I did many concrete bathroom floors in Very highend condo`s in NY. It really does turn out bitchen if done rite. I little red and black pigment made it look really cool. Theses were 60,000$ to 90,000$ bathrooms. So Ya!!:D

AdrenelineOD
04-12-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by AdrenelineOD
I did many concrete bathroom floors in Very highend condo`s in NY. It really does turn out bitchen if done rite. I little red and black pigment made it look really cool. Theses were 60,000$ to 90,000$ bathrooms. So Ya!!:D Done rite.............. I used creat weld insted of water for mixing, helps eliminate cracks but they do come in suttle form

mirvin
04-12-2004, 04:30 PM
I was hoping to learn how to get blood stains out of the concrete:confused:
mirvin

HM
04-12-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by 91nordic29
has anyone ever used this technique? it looks pretty cool ti use in lieu of ceramic tile. just wondered if anyone had any exp with it.:confused:
You should be able to get this at White Cap or similar type of building supply houses. There are few different brands, but they all work the same. They give a real cool natural-unnatural look. If you are looking to have a little more consistency, there are a few new products that give a " acid stained" look using epoxy or acrylic or even urethane for a more consistent non-consistent look....if that makes sense. If you have trouble finding what you want, PM me and I will put you in touch with a couple companies that mfg it. I used to sell raw materials to many of these guys, including pigments, although the acid stains use no pigment - it is a chemical reaction with the different acids and the cement that produce color.

coolchange
04-12-2004, 04:44 PM
www.gayegoodman.com/order.html
She gives seminars and has a mailing list. I was on it for a while.
Neat pics also.

fourspeednup
04-12-2004, 04:50 PM
My friends dad does this type of work, he's in Ventura, CA but I'll give him a call if you'd like and either have him get in touch with you or recommend a good guy out this way. Or were you planning on a do-it-yourself project?
:cool:

NashvilleBound
04-12-2004, 06:56 PM
We do acid staining all the time. New homes...shopping malls. Color, stamp (including vertical walls) 100's of uses.
Whats your scenario????

NashvilleBound
04-12-2004, 07:01 PM
Helloooo??? Sheesh, your not even online:eek!: :eek!: Here I go talking to myself again....

572Daytona
04-12-2004, 08:20 PM
How does the price compare to putting slate, travertine or limestone tiles down? We put slate on our outside decks and it looks great. I do have a concrete floor in my office right now that needs finishing though.

ROZ
04-12-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by NashvilleBound
Helloooo??? Sheesh, your not even online:eek!: :eek!: Here I go talking to myself again....
Too bad too.... If anyone can answer her questions it would be you... You da man!
Doing 572Daytona's would be an excuse to buy a custom and do a road trip w/Tony :D

pb
04-13-2004, 05:37 AM
I had this done in our basement and bar about 6 months ago. The floor was painted prior to this. The contractor removed the paint with grinders. He chased all the cracks and repaired them. He then skim coated the floor with some type of concrete bonding agent. When this cured he stripped out the pattern we wanted and skim coated again with something called microfinish which also gave the floor a subtle texture. When this cured he sprayed down the two colors of acid stain with a standard fertilizer sprayer and let sit for about 5-6 hours. His crew came back that evening to neutralize the stain with ammonia by mopping it on and then rising with fresh water. The final step was the 2 coats of clear industrial epoxy which gave the floor a wet look.
Bottom line is the floor looks INCREDIBLE! People are amazed when they see it thinking it is individual 3ftx3ft stones on the floor. The price came to $6.34/sq.ft. I could not tile the floor myself for this much.
It by far is my favorite part of a basement/bar project that has alot of custom work involved.
DO IT!!!!
Paul

NashvilleBound
04-13-2004, 05:39 AM
Hey Roz.
Is your office a bare concrete floor now? New? Price...depends on how much detail your after. If your having to tear up concrete cuz it looks like crap, you'll save a ton. New construction depends on what look your after and how big your space is. If you like the look of tile, use tile or stone. If you have a big office(or showroom) that you bring clients into, or want something of a show piece like 3 foot squares on 45ยบ joint. We can come in and cut your floor, Crack chase it(widen joint for grout),(here's where your choices go endless) acid stain, color stain, skim coat(possible to texture stamp, 1/4" thick) then grout, sealer. Whalla...one of a kind floor. Oh, you'll have about 200 choices of color combos too.
Do I hear concrete desk? Shelves???
Totally possible. Just use your imagination. :eek!: :eek!: :rolleyes:

91nordic29
04-13-2004, 06:37 AM
my thinking is this:
we want to tile our living, dining, kitchen and baths. someone told me about this technnique and the pictures i have seen are very impressive, this made me think that extending it to our patio would be cool.
i would take a class or something so that we could do it ourselves.
am i wrong or wouldnt the cost be alot less that tile? and it would be one of a kind.
is it in fact a project that you can do on your own?

91nordic29
04-13-2004, 07:59 AM
nashville?:confused:

NashvilleBound
04-13-2004, 06:04 PM
Sorry...I was outside pouring concrete all day...Imagine that:)
You can easily do this yourselves as its one of a kind....nothing to match
Just educate yourself about the procedures. Look online and ask questions. Start small and good luck!