PDA

View Full Version : Von Dutch, West Coast Choppers and IZOD

carbonmarine
04-13-2004, 05:28 AM
Lol,,,,,, Like say IZOD, Jordace & Orange County Chopper in the past .... These " Brands " are played out !
Q: What this have to do with boating ???
A: Every dork wanna be is wearing this shit out in havasu
at nite.... ( wanna be what ...I have no clue ). The differnce in these brands and say others is that they are lifestyle brands
and hanging out drinking purple hooters in kokomo's is in no means akin to these lifestyles.... ( its circles & squares - they dont fit )
I open the OC Register this morning and there a 2 page deal on Von Dutch about who ownes it etc,,, I saw OCC T-Shirts at Cosco that what brings this post on..... go read it....
Rick32 / Carbon
:cool:

havaduner
04-13-2004, 06:13 AM
gotta agree with you carbonmarine. Had to laugh, when I saw OCC, WCC and Von Dutch hats and beanies being sold at the Shell station in Cabazon on Sunday!

Blown 472
04-13-2004, 06:40 AM
Sad thing is most wearing the Von Dutch stuff have no clue who he is, ****ing trendy fags.

Dr. Eagle
04-13-2004, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by Blown 472
Sad thing is most wearing the Von Dutch stuff have no clue who he is, ****ing trendy fags.
Yeah, really I like mine... what is Von Dutch again?......LOL........

welk2party
04-13-2004, 07:56 AM
Too funny. Stuff like this goes out of style so fast you might miss it.
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_9_134.gif ('http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb008')

hoolign
04-13-2004, 08:01 AM
Up here There's a gagillion of em! West coast,OCC, I usually ask them if they got the shirt with the bike, or if they just like the Discovery channel
:D

miller19j
04-13-2004, 08:05 AM
When did IZOD go out of fashion? Next thing you will tell me is that my Members Only jacket isn’t cool anymore! :D

LOWRIVER2
04-13-2004, 08:18 AM
Yeah, I laughed at WCC too until I saw Jesse's 5 million dollar house down at Sunset beach. Guess he played it out all the way to the bank/lol.

RiverToysJas
04-13-2004, 08:38 AM
IMO, if you're wearing on of these....
http://www.r-and-b1988.com/klothing-photo/von-sig-wh.jpg
You should own one of these...
http://www.bike-shows.com/events/VonDutch/VD_12.jpg
RTJas :D

hoolign
04-13-2004, 08:42 AM
I agree Jason!!...it's kinda like owning a pinto and having a corvette key chain:D

Sleek-Jet
04-13-2004, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by miller19j
When did IZOD go out of fashion? Next thing you will tell me is that my Members Only jacket isn’t cool anymore! :D
As long as Parachute pants are still in style.... I'm good to go. :D

Speedin' Ian
04-13-2004, 09:21 AM
Hey I like my Von Dutch shirts, but then again I've always been a hot rod guy and enjoy going to the nastalgiac drags. I can also tell you that Von Dutch did not like pin stripping, but it payed the bills, instead he preferred to work with metal. He said "paint fades, but metal last forever" I can also tell you he retired out at the Santa Paula airport, so hopefully I know enough about him to wear the shirts. On the other hand I am not a big fan of WCC clothing or OCC clothing, but I wouldn't nock someone for wearing it.

fourspeednup
04-13-2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Speedin' Ian
Hey I like my Von Dutch shirts, but then again I've always been a hot rod guy and enjoy going to the nastalgiac drags. I can also tell you that Von Dutch did not like pin stripping, but it payed the bills, instead he preferred to work with metal. He said "paint fades, but metal last forever" I can also tell you he retired out at the Santa Paula airport, so hopefully I know enough about him to wear the shirts. On the other hand I am not a big fan of WCC clothing or OCC clothing, but I wouldn't nock someone for wearing it.
Do you know the title of his biography? I'm into his stuff(not the name)and I'd like to learn more about the guy and his custom creations. I've heard some not-so-glamorous stories and I wanna know more:cool:

Speedin' Ian
04-13-2004, 09:39 AM
I did not read his biography, just did a lot of research for an art project. If I saved the paper I'll send it to you when I get home from school. I did stumble across a lot of not so glamorous stories, like him shooting at people who tried to talk to him at his hanger in Santa Paula after he retired. The funny thing is he never made any money, nor did he want it. He felt money just complicated things.

looky_lou
04-13-2004, 10:08 AM
Yeah, me too.:p

hd&boatrider
04-13-2004, 10:38 AM
I knew it was over when I saw some Grandma driving a mini-van with an OCC sticker on the back. I just laugh at most of the people who wear all the garb and then don't even have a bike. Silly if you ask me but whatever they want to do is OK with me. They are referred to as posers by the way.
Originally posted by carbonmarine
Lol,,,,,, Like say IZOD, Jordace & Orange County Chopper in the past .... These " Brands " are played out !
Q: What this have to do with boating ???
A: Every dork wanna be is wearing this shit out in havasu
at nite.... ( wanna be what ...I have no clue ). The differnce in these brands and say others is that they are lifestyle brands
and hanging out drinking purple hooters in kokomo's is in no means akin to these lifestyles.... ( its circles & squares - they dont fit )
I open the OC Register this morning and there a 2 page deal on Von Dutch about who ownes it etc,,, I saw OCC T-Shirts at Cosco that what brings this post on..... go read it....
Rick32 / Carbon
:cool:

HighRoller
04-13-2004, 11:04 AM
From what I've heard, the only legitimate OCC gear you can get is directly from them. Makes all the other stuff fake, but what does a poser care if his OCC gear is real, right? The topper for me was when I saw some guy one night wearing a WCC shirt and OCC hat. Either he was double rich or twice the poser!

Back Forty
04-13-2004, 11:14 AM
Von Dutch = JUNKIE
http://www.letterhead.com/articles/bob_burns/vondutch/images/dutch_9.jpg
A shame.
West Coast Choppers/Orange County Choppers = DISCO Customs.
TV shows = over boiling of a good thing.

mirvin
04-13-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by RiverToysJas
Hey Jas, I got a couple of those but I still won't wear that stuff. I let my wife wear the girlies though, can't argue with that:D One day she brought me an OCC shirt that she got at Target. She thought it was hillarious. I wear it when I'm getting all greasy working under the car or something.
mirvin

HM
04-13-2004, 12:39 PM
I find it interesting that more people are offended by people wearing the Van Dutch/OCC/WCC/(fill in the blank) stuff because they don't own the bikes or know what Van Dutch was all about. But, when someone brings up the history of the Iron Cross and what it symbolizes in history (Nazis) these same people have no regard to what horror this symbol reminds many people of - and if you say anything, they defend themselves by saying people are just too sensitive and that is not what "Their" iron cross stands for. A symbol that is as well known as the swastika and is represents the evil behind the Holocaust to millions of people. These people are too sensitive, but the people who really know the history of Van Dutch or own a WCC or OCC or what ever are justifibly irritated by the posers.
So, what are you offended more by... a poser wearing a WCC t-shirt or by the Iron Cross logo used by WCC on the t-shirt being worn by the poser?
I personally don't care about the posers - heck, I hope I find something to sell to them!! But, I will make an effort to do as little business and associate less with people who display the iron cross. My level of effort is based on which group they fall into:
1. There are ignorant people who don't realize its historical value - they just think it is cool or trendy.
2. There are those who just don't care what it symbolizes because they think it is cool and don't think they should have to worry about what it symbolizes.
3. There a few that use the Iron Cross to be a true representation of its historical value - we have quite a few Arian Nation groups in Canyon Lake and some extreme groups from a neighboring town. Everything these guys own has an iron cross on it.
The iron cross is cool looking to me, but I can't disregard what it symbolizes in history. I am sorry the Nazis destroyed a cool moniker.
I would love to see an argument that supports the use of the iron cross without discounting its historical value.

miller19j
04-13-2004, 01:03 PM
So you are not interested in doing any business with Germans? The Iron Cross is still the symbol of the German Military. It was never a symbol of the Nazi Party.
I think the Iron cross is lame personally. But the connection to the Nazi party argument does not fly with me.

Blown 472
04-13-2004, 01:09 PM
3. There a few that use the Iron Cross to be a true representation of its historical value - we have quite a few Arian Nation groups in Canyon Lake and some extreme groups from a neighboring town. Everything these guys own has an iron cross on it.
And yet another reason to love cali?

miller19j
04-13-2004, 01:18 PM
“The Iron Cross is perhaps the best known and historically rich German award. Its tradition dates back to 1813, when King Friedrich Wilheim III of Prussia first instituted the award during the War of Liberation against Napoleon. Though it was supposed to be a campaign medal, it was re-instituted in 1870 for the Franco-Prussian War, and again in 1914 for World War I. The defeat of Germany in that war did not diminish military pride in the long term, and the Cross continued to be a symbol of prestige in the inter-war years.”
I do not agree with the actions taken by the Nazi party during WWII.
But the Iron cross is a symbol of the German military not the nazi party; a military that has a long and proud heritage. It is a symbol of the bravery of generations of proud soldiers. Even during WWII the majority of the soldiers were just fighting for their country and not the Nazi party.

Sun burners
04-13-2004, 01:22 PM
I wanted to buy a "VON DRUNK" hat does that count?

NorCal Gameshow
04-13-2004, 01:22 PM
i'll bet the person who designed my skechers "skateboard"shoes never rode a skateboard...i don't ride a skateboard..
i like the look and the feel...
my sister had von dutch pinstrip her '72 pinto ...it was the only nice thing about that car... kinda funny ....a pinstriped pinto

HM
04-13-2004, 01:30 PM
So you are not interested in doing any business with Germans? The Iron Cross is still the symbol of the German Military. It was never a symbol of the Nazi Party.
I think the Iron cross is lame personally. But the connection to the Nazi party argument does not fly with me.
Is that because the only symbol you fly is the Rainbow?:p
Quote from www.schoolhistory.org ".......The Nazi's used this symbol, which had been used previously within the German Army and showed particular bravery or valor in the fight for a Greater Germany........"
True, the Nazis did not begin the use, but they adopted it. Try doing an internet search on the Iron Cross, Nazis, and Germany and you will find overwhelming evidence that the Iron Cross was an integral symbol of the Nazis. Amazingly, you will also find Arian Nation websites and their hailing of how integrated the hate symbol "the Iron Cross" is into the mainstream.

HM
04-13-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Blown 472
And yet another reason to love cali?
Yup, Cali is the only place these guys live.;)

HM
04-13-2004, 01:39 PM
“The Iron Cross is perhaps the best known and historically rich German award. Its tradition dates back to 1813, when King Friedrich Wilheim III of Prussia first instituted the award during the War of Liberation against Napoleon. Though it was supposed to be a campaign medal, it was re-instituted in 1870 for the Franco-Prussian War, and again in 1914 for World War I. The defeat of Germany in that war did not diminish military pride in the long term, and the Cross continued to be a symbol of prestige in the inter-war years.”
I do not agree with the actions taken by the Nazi party during WWII.
But the Iron cross is a symbol of the German military not the nazi party; a military that has a long and proud heritage. It is a symbol of the bravery of generations of proud soldiers. Even during WWII the majority of the soldiers were just fighting for their country and not the Nazi party.
I agree with how it started, but you are discounting how badly the Nazis tainted it - there is overwhelming evidence.
Did your group of people invent the rainbow? No? Then why is it considered the universal symbol for friends of Miller19j? LOL...j/k'ing. Are we going to have a cut and paste contest?:D

mirvin
04-13-2004, 01:40 PM
What's going on here HolyMoly?!?!?;) I thought we were talking about the "trucker hat Nation"?
So how do you feel about swastika's? I mean, the ones that were used for centuries before the Nazi's adopted them?:D
mirvin- stirring the septic tank

miller19j
04-13-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by mirvin
stirring the septic tank
That about sums it up…….
Miller(far to lazy to debate this any longer)19j

NorCal Gameshow
04-13-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by RiverToysJas
that truck is shaweet...
i've been collecting flying A stuff ....my granpa and uncle owned a
station in west L.A. so i thought it would be cool to plaster the garage with that shiznit
i hope there is no negative condentations with flying "A" rolleyes: :D :D :) :)
(if anyone has some flying "A"stuff laying around let me know)

HM
04-13-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by mirvin
What's going on here HolyMoly?!?!?;) I thought we were talking about the "trucker hat Nation"?
So how do you feel about swastika's? I mean, the ones that were used for centuries before the Nazi's adopted them?:D
mirvin- stirring the septic tank
Yup, I been stirring a bit lately! Wife and kids are gone for a few and I am procrastinating on things I should be doing. Just an analysis of how people seem more offended by posers than contraversial symbols like the iron cross. Miller (a very cool individual btw) and I can have a cut and paste contest to infinity - that just proves how contraversial it is.
The rainbow angle always knocks Miller off of his perch.:D

miller19j
04-13-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by HolyMoly
The rainbow angle always knocks Miller off of his perch.:D Keep it up and I will send those guys from queer eye for the straight guy to come over and gang bitch slap you! :D

HM
04-13-2004, 02:33 PM
Keep it up and I will send those guys from queer eye for the straight guy to come over and gang bitch slap you! :D
LOL! Uncle. :D

fourspeednup
04-13-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Sun burners
I wanted to buy a "VON DRUNK" hat does that count?
No, but it would compliment my Abercrombie and Bitch shirt:cool:

Blown 472
04-13-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by HolyMoly
Yup, Cali is the only place these guys live.;)
Been here 14 years and have yet to see a skin head.

Kilrtoy
04-13-2004, 04:30 PM
I wear one of these and have yet to see anyone else wear one!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/111A12004803.jpg

Havasu Cig
04-13-2004, 06:24 PM
The Iron Cross is not just used by the German Military for everyones info. I have one right here next to me hanging on the wall in my house that was issued to me by the united States Army for shooting.
Mine is an Iron Cross with a wreath around it with two tabs hanging below it. One says rifle and one says pistol. The Iron Cross with a wreath is awarded for qualifying as an "Expert" with the types of weapons identified by the tabs.
There are lesser shooting awards that are also given that use the Iron Cross as well, but without the wreath.
As far as wearing the t-shirts listed above, my buddy works for WCC so I will continue to wear their shirts. I have do have a bike though, but not a WCC.

Havasu Cig
04-13-2004, 07:01 PM
Here is a picture....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/showphoto.php?photo=41749&size=big&password=&sort=7&thecat=998

Havasu Cig
04-13-2004, 07:07 PM
I don't know why the picture is so big, but it is in the middle. I hate computers.:mad:

DUNDUN
04-13-2004, 07:19 PM
Independent skating co. uses the iron cross in it's logo. Many schools have banned independent clothing because of the iron cross. It doesn't bother me much because I don't wear skater clothes because I'm not a skater. If I did wear these clothes, I'd be classified as a "poser". It's all pretty dumb really. I don't give a sh** what people wear. btw, I love cars, bikes, and boats of course. WCC is a cool bike company but IMO, Jesse James is an ass. :cool:

Kilrtoy
04-13-2004, 07:28 PM
Air Cav, Very Nice

Havasu Cig
04-13-2004, 07:36 PM
Thanks, It was definitely a privelage to have served in such a great Division.
My thoughts and prayers are with the 9 1st Cav troopers that died this past week in Iraq.:frown:

cola
04-13-2004, 07:40 PM
Well if Jesse James is a ass hole he is a rich ass hole. I hear he sold the t-shirt biz. to Wal-mart for 100,000,000. big ones.
Late, Mike

DUNDUN
04-13-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by cola
Well if Jesse James is a ass hole he is a rich ass hole. I hear he sold the t-shirt biz. to Wal-mart for 100,000,000. big ones.
Late, Mike
jesse james is definitely a rich asshole :rolleyes:

moneysucker
04-13-2004, 07:57 PM
I found a good deal on OCC and WCC shirts. OCC is sold at Target And WCC is sold at Wall mart. They are authorised merchandise. Sorry if you want to believe they are fake. I wouldn't buy one if you paid me. Even if I had one of their bikes I would feel like a fag wearing their shirts around.

RiverPirate
04-13-2004, 10:54 PM
I guess it is pretty hard to be original. So many days on the river with so few t-shirts to choose from.