PDA

View Full Version : Use Dells (pay) Computer support or not?

HammerDown
03-31-2006, 09:31 AM
I need to remove a lot of start up programs on my 8200 Demension that should not be there...but not sure which ones should go, or are needed.
Plus a few other issues I'm having.
Think this is something only a Dell software tech should handle...?

Racer277
03-31-2006, 09:33 AM
You could always experiment yourself using msconfig.
Hate to see you pay that kind of scratch...

Freak
03-31-2006, 09:40 AM
Why not just remove them from the startup folder. If I understand correctly.

lucky
03-31-2006, 09:51 AM
can you speak aribic ?

Jyruiz
03-31-2006, 10:08 AM
Why not just remove them from the startup folder. If I understand correctly.
Not all of them show up on the startup folder. Best way is to go to add/remove programs, get rid of the ones you don't us/need. The go to msconfig like Racer said and uncheck some of the startup programs. Good luck.

buzzaro
03-31-2006, 11:02 AM
also make sure system restore is enabled, im pretty sure you can go back afterwords, or at least move the programs you dont want to another storage location like a CD/DVD so you can put them back if you choose.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
03-31-2006, 11:14 AM
I need to remove a lot of start up programs on my 8200 Demension that should not be there...but not sure which ones should go, or are needed.
Plus a few other issues I'm having.
Think this is something only a Dell software tech should handle...?
you will kill yourself after going that route. If you have any concerns about the program, google it first. There is a chance of getting better advice that way then paying money and being on the line for hours with someone in India.
Like the others said, use the config and uncheck them. if it's 3rd party software than you can delete them from the add/remove programs. but if its windows s/w, i'd leave it...

572Daytona
03-31-2006, 11:20 AM
do a google on HijackThis, it's a nifty program that displays startup programs as well as other spyware registry entry points and lets you selectively remove entries. I use this routinely on the wife and kid's computers.

HammerDown
03-31-2006, 04:15 PM
Do this with Hijackthis. I'll help you decipher it. Email me through the boards with the results file or just copy and paste it here.
There really doesn't need to be anything in the startup folder...
Thanks for the offer...I may take you up on it. I did dial Dell but honestly I couldn't understand a word she said. Luckily they didin't get my card#.
I'll look into Hijackthis...see what I feel comfortable doing on my own (if) anything.
PS. Windows XP Home Edition and yea, AOL 9.0 Optimized SE (only until May 10'th ) :rolleyes:

HOT ROD HOOLIGAN
03-31-2006, 11:08 PM
Don't waste your time calling support,all that will happen is you will get pissed because you can't understand those bastards.