PDA

View Full Version : Glassmate Boats? heard of them...

fear the turtle
04-19-2004, 07:20 AM
Hello,
Just wondering if anyone's ever heard of a boat manufacturer called Glassmate and could offer any information on quality/reputation? Specifically an 1982 20ft. Looks like it possible may be an eliminator splash.
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/0/4/69764504.htm
thanks for any help.

FRENCHIE
04-19-2004, 01:13 PM
cant say i have!?:frown:

Boozer
04-19-2004, 07:35 PM
Don't buy it.
Noone has ever heard of them so obviously they didnt make many boats. Plus it has a V6 in it you'll be wanting to swap it out in no time to a V8.
My current boat has a V6 and it does great on gas. I can fill up the 35 gallon tank and run it 2 weekends between fill ups. However, A max speed of 41 MPH really sucks and it just isnt the same without that V8 rumble.

5th Horseman
04-20-2004, 03:56 AM
I'd be worried about that OMC stern drive, pretty obsolete these days. (sorry OMC owners)
Paul

fear the turtle
04-20-2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Boozer
Don't buy it.
Noone has ever heard of them so obviously they didnt make many boats. Plus it has a V6 in it you'll be wanting to swap it out in no time to a V8.
My current boat has a V6 and it does great on gas. I can fill up the 35 gallon tank and run it 2 weekends between fill ups. However, A max speed of 41 MPH really sucks and it just isnt the same without that V8 rumble.
thanks for the reply...yeah I'm beginning to lean that way. Although still gonna run through it.
Speeds really not a big factor at this point. I only plan on having something for a year or two. Just trying to get the Wife to think outside of the general runabouts we've had in the past(searay/bayliner)...slowly build her up... first buy into the style...then of coarse, we'll need to upgrade to keep up with Jones. :)

Scream
04-21-2004, 05:28 PM
cross post to hot spots east, both of those people might have seen it before...LOL

mirvin
04-22-2004, 04:04 PM
Looks like an Omega. I agree that it is probly underpowered.
It is however a better option then gayliner though:p
I've heard of a company called "Bassmate". They're in the south I believe, maybe Tennesee?
If you're not worried about the v6 this could be a cool little runabout, In my opinion. And yes, make sure that OMC is strong too. You can still get parts and service for them but they're under the Volvo Penta wing now.
Price might be a little high too....time to barter, but it looks like it's got a new interior though.
Maybe ttake a tape measure as it seems smaller then 20 feet????
mirvin;)

old rigger
04-27-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by mirvin
Looks like an Omega. I agree that it is probly underpowered.
mirvin is 100% correct, that boat was originally tooled up over at Omega. We splashed it at Hawaiian too, called it the 'Moonraker'. Stupid name for a boat. We bought an Omega, took the emblems off, put on the Hawaiian ones, changed the interior and put it in the LA boat show the same time Omega did! Took tons of orders for the boat too. Only thing was, we didn't have a set of molds yet. My dad had one of these, a Hawaiian and a BBC jet, for over 20 years and loved it.
Oh, it is longer than 20 feet, but I can't remember just how much. Maybe 3 or 4 inches? I dunno.
Never heard of glassmate either.