PDA

View Full Version : Photogs: Canon Lenses

tcook33
04-01-2006, 10:04 AM
Please forgive me for I am a rook.
I just purchased a Canon Rebel XT 8.0MP that came with an EF-S 18-55mm Lens.
I'm looking to purchaes a couple more lenses to widen my range of shooting.
When I go to the track with my buddies, I usually take about a half hour and shoot a couple hundred pics of the local riders. I am also a contractor that shoots pics for my website, marketing, and jobs. Oh, and I can't stop taking pics of the newborn.. :D
Does anyone have any suggestions for me on what type of lenses to purchase and where? I'm looking for a zoom/telephoto, wide angle, and a fish eye. I've been looking on e-bay and it seems a little risky. Anyone else have any luck on e-bay? I also see these other brands (sigma, tamron, etc.) that fit Canon cameras. Seems like a bad route to go, no? I would think that the best choice is to stick to an authentic Canon lense.
With all the photogs on the board, I would love it if someone could give me the 101 to assist my needs.
Thanks in advance. :D

al cole'holic
04-01-2006, 10:10 AM
..wassup yo :D
What lens your camera accept??

al cole'holic
04-01-2006, 10:14 AM
..oops, just saw it in your post....check out Quantaray...most of the places on ebay are solid to use, I always check the number of feedbacks they have. We've bought alot of stuff from B&H Photo (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/)

Jrocket
04-01-2006, 10:16 AM
If you can afford it stick with the Canon series lenses.I use these 2 lenses mainly.Motocross,boating everday photos.These 2 will cover almost anything you want to shoot.
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=150&modelid=7469
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=149&modelid=12955
Also look around in here for answers and good deals.
Fred Miranda (www.fredmiranda.com)

tcook33
04-01-2006, 10:33 AM
..oops, just saw it in your post....check out Quantaray...most of the places on ebay are solid to use, I always check the number of feedbacks they have. We've bought alot of stuff from B&H Photo (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/)
what up yo?
Whats going down?
I'll check out BandH Photo. Thanks.

tcook33
04-01-2006, 10:34 AM
Jrocket. Thanks for the info.

tcook33
04-01-2006, 10:38 AM
[QUOTE=Jrocket]
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=150&modelid=7469
QUOTE]
You are right on Jrocket. Over on Mototalk, Simon Cudby told me this is the lens to get. Thanks. :D

tcook33
04-01-2006, 10:49 AM
Seems like this is the lens to go for......70-200 f2.8L
How about for wide angle shots? EF 14mm f/2.8L USM, EF 24mm f/1.4L USM , or EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye?

al cole'holic
04-01-2006, 10:53 AM
what up yo?
Whats going down?
I'll check out BandH Photo. Thanks.
..chillin in PS right now after a straight thru solo 16 hour drive from Denver, my brain was fried :220v:
Jrocket is right on...I have an older Canon 35-105 EF auto if you wanna try...

My Man's Sportin' Wood
04-01-2006, 04:39 PM
Sigma makes a great lens, but I would stick with the Canon lenses just because of the computer compatability. I got a 75-300 mm from B&H last summer for just under $500. I would highly recommend the IS (image stabilizer) for the zoom. Some Canon lenses are from Japan and some are USA, it will say which one when it is advertised. The difference is that one from Japan has to be sent back there to be fixed under warranty if anything goes wrong, so they are usually a few bits less. Enjoy your camera. I have one also and love it.

tcook33
04-01-2006, 05:50 PM
Thanks Wood. Good info.
I think I've made a decision on the 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM. Its a spendy piece, but it seems worth it.

tcook33
04-01-2006, 06:07 PM
..chillin in PS right now after a straight thru solo 16 hour drive from Denver, my brain was fried :220v:
Jrocket is right on...I have an older Canon 35-105 EF auto if you wanna try...
Didnt even see you responded till now.
You are bummin. Solo trip from Co. I've done that plenty of times, I know the route well.
Yeah, I'd like to check out the 35-105 for sure. Thanks.
There is too much to know with these lenses. I've been glued to e-bay all day long. I'm watching like 15 items, just waiting to pounce. HAHA

Jrocket
04-01-2006, 06:14 PM
For up close wide shots I use this.
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=151&modelid=7300
I dont use my fish eye lense too much for photos that I really want to be realistic,but I do use it if I want to enhance a shot or just take some fun shots.Most of my shooting is at the races or during summer at the river.90% of them are action shots and the lenses that I have listed worked perfect.The 70-200 is heavy and expensive but you only have to spend the money once,and if you decide to sell you can usually get most of your money back if its in good shape.Quality lenses and camera bodies hold their value.For used stuff I would try putting an add on FredMiranda.com or if you want new Canogacamera.com has some of the best prices.Ritz Camera stores will match any non-internet price over the counter.I buy mine from Ritz due to the customer service that I get.
Always shoot in the largest format possible and get a huge memory card.You can always make the pics smaller with your computer.

tcook33
04-01-2006, 06:49 PM
For up close wide shots I use this.
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=151&modelid=7300
I dont use my fish eye lense too much for photos that I really want to be realistic,but I do use it if I want to enhance a shot or just take some fun shots.Most of my shooting is at the races or during summer at the river.90% of them are action shots and the lenses that I have listed worked perfect.The 70-200 is heavy and expensive but you only have to spend the money once,and if you decide to sell you can usually get most of your money back if its in good shape.Quality lenses and camera bodies hold their value.For used stuff I would try putting an add on FredMiranda.com or if you want new Canogacamera.com has some of the best prices.Ritz Camera stores will match any non-internet price over the counter.I buy mine from Ritz due to the customer service that I get.
Always shoot in the largest format possible and get a huge memory card.You can always make the pics smaller with your computer.
Yeah, everyone seems to say that the fisheyes are not worth the money. Actually, the saleman I spoke to at Canoga Camera said that the fisheye will not be very effective with the Rebel XT.
I think for sure I'm going with the 70-200. It's a matter of decision between the 2.8 or the 4. I was told the biggest difference is being able to shoot in low light areas like stadiums with the 2.8.
I'm thinking of also getting a 14 to round out the artillery since I already have the stock 18-55. They are just sooooo expensive. Have you heard anything on Tamron? I've heard they make a good lens. I'm looking at the Tamron SP AF 14mm f2.8.
Thanks for the help.

Jrocket
04-01-2006, 07:35 PM
Yeah, everyone seems to say that the fisheyes are not worth the money. Actually, the saleman I spoke to at Canoga Camera said that the fisheye will not be very effective with the Rebel XT.
I think for sure I'm going with the 70-200. It's a matter of decision between the 2.8 or the 4. I was told the biggest difference is being able to shoot in low light areas like stadiums with the 2.8.
I'm thinking of also getting a 14 to round out the artillery since I already have the stock 18-55. They are just sooooo expensive. Have you heard anything on Tamron? I've heard they make a good lens. I'm looking at the Tamron SP AF 14mm f2.8.
Thanks for the help.
I think the 2.8 is a better choice.Get the Canon 70-200 if you can only get 1 good quality lense.I use it for most of what I shoot.You can get great shots from far away and still get good close ups.I can be far away from the gate and still get good shots of the start and still get tight shots of the first corner turn all from one spot.Even far away shots can be done correctly,you will have to photoshop the final pic but with a large enough file format you can do it.Tamron and Sigma both make decent lenses but its better to save and hold out for the Canon.Sometimes other brand equipment will have "little" quirks that you have to work through but they still work.Also with the Canon Rebel you might have compatibility problems with different lenses.You might get an error message when using bigger or mor advanced lenses.ALWAYS use a good quality filter and the correct hood for the lense.