PDA

View Full Version : My boat hit 100.2 on the DB meter

jackpunx
04-29-2004, 07:45 AM
So I was at Parker last week and one of the local water cops that I was talking to earlier that day asked me if he could take a look at my exhaust. He said he was not going to write me a ticket just wanted to see what I had so that he could compare it to some of the other boats. I showed him my engine we talked for a min and then I asked him if he had a meter in his boat I wanted to see how loud my boat was.. He hooked it all up and got about 50Â’ behind my boat.. I reved the motor up to 3k rmps.. and it hit 100.2. He told me just to stay under 2k rpm at night and to be careful. I know they can choose to write those tickets any time they want. I think they save it for the idiots that they cant give a BUI to.

OGShocker
04-29-2004, 07:50 AM
WHAT? :D

superdave013
04-29-2004, 07:51 AM
ya know what sucks about that?
If you would have been in a flatbottom you would have gotten the ticket!!
If they are gonna target all the v drive guys then the same should apply to you to don't ya think?

79 HUSTLER
04-29-2004, 07:53 AM
Sounds good like that Mark. Are you planning on making it a lil quieter at the end of this year or say screw it. KELLY

HCS
04-29-2004, 08:06 AM
I can't believe they hassel people like that. I'd tell them to shove
it up there ass. If the guy isn't going to write you a ticket he can
take a hike. You don't need to hear his lecture, tell him get lost!

Dave C
04-29-2004, 08:07 AM
Q's!
I thought they administered the test at idle? Do you know what it was then?
Do you run silencers or just water? what exhaust do you run?
BTW.. DAMN! :D

HCS
04-29-2004, 08:08 AM
Even if he does write you ticket you don't have to listen to his bull
shit.

jackpunx
04-29-2004, 08:17 AM
SuperDave,
I saw a couple of flatties with Loud Pipes.. And some jets too.. IÂ’m not sure if they are looking at any specific types of boats.. When we were talking.. This guy buzzed by in a large cat.. He didnÂ’t slow down for a downed skier.. The cop said he was going to have to have a talk with that guy.. I asked him how loud his boat was compared to mine.. he said that guys was a little louder.. The point is .. at least on that day and time.. (his mood could change).. He probably nailed that guy for pipes just for driving like an idiot.. I think they are going after the bigger boats rather then the v drives at this point.. But I could be wrong.. as far as me getting a ticket because you get one... LOL>. No.. You can have yours.. Fair or not.. IÂ’m sure you feel the same way about mine:D
Kelly
I donÂ’t want to change it.. IÂ’m just going to go where IÂ’m welcome.. That would be AZ.. So far I have not got hassled for anything.. I think we can stay under the radar for a little while longer...:D

Dr. Eagle
04-29-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by OGShocker
WHAT? :D
@!#@@!&&%#!! Beat me to it......:D

jackpunx
04-29-2004, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Dave C
Q's!
I thought they administered the test at idle? Do you know what it was then?
Do you run silencers or just water? what exhaust do you run?
BTW.. DAMN! :D
I run an hp500 with stock through transom exhaust and water
As far as being hassled.. It wasnÂ’t like that.. I was hanging out with a chick that is a 911 dispatcher for the Parker PD. So it was all friendly.. We were just BS'n .. Any chance I can get to make friends with the local LE.. IÂ’m taken it.. It was not always like that for me
:D

Ultracrazy
04-29-2004, 08:26 AM
Wow Hardcore.........a cop does a cool thing and you trash him. If he gets a ticket.......you trash the cop.......when he doesn't....you trash him. Sounds like the cop was just doing his job and trying to be friendly. I suppose the guy who didn't slow down for the downed skier shouldn't have received a ticket also?

Danhercules
04-29-2004, 08:30 AM
I take it you were in the water, right?

superdave013
04-29-2004, 08:32 AM
jackpunx,
Don't take it the wrong way. I'm glad he was cool with you.
But they are targeting the v drives out there right now like a mofo. It's getting down right brutal and it's clear that they don't want us there.
I get pretty defensive as we are runnig out of spots to run these boats.
Ya gotta admit that any old time river rat likes to see a nice flatbottom out at the river.

Dr. Eagle
04-29-2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Danhercules
I take it you were in the water, right? WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU, JAkPUNX BOAT'S TOO LOUD........
Sorry OG, I just love that kind of humor.....

jackpunx
04-29-2004, 08:37 AM
SD,
LOL.. didnt take it that way.. Just throwen it back at ya.. I didnt know they were hitting you guys so hard.. it really sux.. I love watching the v drives run.. acutally I would love to have one..:D
As a matter of fact.. I would love a ride next time your out:D
now they have two really butch chicks in a state boat out there.. They came to talk to us a couple of weeks ago.. we flirted with them a little.. but I think one got jelouse.. They just came over to look at our chicks anyway:D

91nordic29
04-29-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by superdave013
jackpunx,
Don't take it the wrong way. I'm glad he was cool with you.
But they are targeting the v drives out there right now like a mofo. It's getting down right brutal and it's clear that they don't want us there.
I get pretty defensive as we are runnig out of spots to run these boats.
Ya gotta admit that any old time river rat likes to see a nice flatbottom out at the river.
what does the type of boat matter? what do they have against v - drives? just curious:confused:

superdave013
04-29-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by 91nordic29
what does the type of boat matter? what do they have against v - drives? just curious:confused:
I donno, ask them.

91nordic29
04-29-2004, 09:16 AM
maybe i should have asked "what makes you think that?"

superdave013
04-29-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by 91nordic29
maybe i should have asked "what makes you think that?"
Because they are HOT RODS.

HCS
04-29-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Ultracrazy
Wow Hardcore.........a cop does a cool thing and you trash him. If he gets a ticket.......you trash the cop.......when he doesn't....you trash him. Sounds like the cop was just doing his job and trying to be friendly. I suppose the guy who didn't slow down for the downed skier shouldn't have received a ticket also?
:D Iv'e been shaken down by boat cops more than a dozen times,
just because they have nothing better to do than razz people. If
your being an idiot or breaking the law, sure go after them.
Bugging people because of their exhaust or because there
carburators dirty is overboard. Next is pulling you over to check
and see if all your warning labels are in place. Their making up
more and more boating laws. It's just going to get worse too.
Private lakes are becomming real popular. It's going to be the
only way to get away from all the BS.

Dave C
04-29-2004, 10:19 AM
Thanks Jackpunx. I got the same thing but an EFI motor. Less the whipple, of course ;) I hope I'm not that loud. (j/k of course I hope its that loud)
BTW: thats some funny stuff.
Originally posted by jackpunx
now they have two really butch chicks in a state boat out there.. They came to talk to us a couple of weeks ago.. we flirted with them a little.. but I think one got jelouse.. They just came over to look at our chicks anyway:D

Boatcop
04-29-2004, 11:56 AM
If your being an idiot or breaking the law, sure go after them.
Loud boats or those with no muffling system IS breaking the law.
Yes! We target specific types of boats for noise enforcement. The LOUD ones and those with no mufflers.
If someone comes up to us and wants to see where their boat registers, we'll put them on the meter and see where they're at. Free of charge. No ticket. No fine. No nothing, except maybe some advice on how to quiet their boat down to bring it into compliance, or at least close to it.
We do the same thing if someone comes up to us and asks for an inspection to make sure they have all the required equipment. Short a few PFDs or a fire extinguisher? No ticket, but a list of what they need to be legal. If someone is concerned enough to ask us for tips, we're not going to punish them by citing them.
I suppose the guy who didn't slow down for the downed skier shouldn't have received a ticket also?
No Arizona law says you have to slow down for a downed skier. And as a matter of fact, California law specifically exempts skiers from the requirement to slow down for swimmers in the water.
Next is pulling you over to check and see if all your warning labels are in place.
And what warning labels would these be????
We know that a few bad experiences with police may make some people think all cops are that way. Well, guess what. We're not.
It's attitudes such as some of the ones expressed in this thread that may give police the impression that all boaters are this way.
People will be treated with the same respect that they give. If they come off like assholes, guess how they're going to be treated?

jackpunx
04-29-2004, 12:05 PM
Alan,
IÂ’ve seen the same guy on the water a few times His name was Burns.. Nice guy.. Never seen anyone else.. It slipped my mind to ask him where I would find you.. butÂ… Where do I find you on that part of the river?.. I would like to meet you in person. IÂ’ve seen a lot of your post and they are very informative. Its good to connect a name with a face.
Mark

Ultracrazy
04-29-2004, 12:10 PM
BC...........ditto

HCS
04-29-2004, 12:33 PM
Boat cop,
The warning label in question is, the one warning people about
exhaust fumes from the back of your boat. I don't have a problem
with warning people, who are not smart enough to know not to play in the water, or swim around the back of a boat while it's running. Or so called teak surfing. But, there's a bill in the
California state senate that is design to issue all boat owners,
new and used, warning labels for the backs of their boats.
How there going to force people to put warning labels on the
backs of their boats is beyond me. If they want to force boat
manufactures to put them on all new boats so be it.
I think what would be alot better is mandatory boating safety
classes.
I don't have a problem with boating laws in general or boat cops.
I do have a problem when our freedom is taken away. Legislation
taking away our rights and forcing us to comply is pushing this
country closer and closer to communism.
Helmet laws and forcing people to wear life jackets while boating
are laws that remove our rights to be free. You can't protect
everybody from everything. I sure helmet laws are on there way
to the boating industry. Wearing a helmet or a life jacket might
not be a bad thing. But it should be my choice and my decision.
We don't need cops acting like parents.

Dave C
04-29-2004, 01:00 PM
.... and for that matter... where is the warning label on that beer can?.... you know the one that says beer leads to obesity....

jackpunx
04-29-2004, 01:05 PM
LMAO:D

Boatcop
04-29-2004, 02:10 PM
Jerry (Burns) works for me, and is usually out on weekends. Rank and Seniority has its benefits, so I've been able to be off most weekends over the past few years. After 13 years of working every weekend and holiday, I had enough good guys on the River, that I could be off on Sat and Sun for a welcome change.
That, however will change this year. I lost one trained Officer to the Narco squad last October, and a guy I just got trained over the winter, is leaving in 2 weeks to go to Havasu PD. :mad: :mad:
We're already 1 down, so for the first part of this summer. it'll be just me and Jerry. So much for the relaxing weekends. :(
We've got 3 graduating from the Academy May 14th, but they won't be through with field training until the middle of July, and only one of those will be assigned to Boating. He won't be much more than an assistant until we can get him up to speed on the Boting Laws, Operation, etc. So until then, we're 8 people down on the Department. We're beating the bushes big time to get some certified Officers to come over, but until we can convince the bean counters that we need more money for pay, I don't look at having a whole lot of success.
8 short may not sound like a big deal, except when you figure we only have 26 total Deputies on Patrol (22) and Boating(4). That's nearly 1/3 of the Department.
So, if you see a pissed off looking Sergeant out on the boats this summer, that'll be me.
Try to stay on my good side. :D :D :D

HCS
04-29-2004, 02:52 PM
Have a nice summer Alan. Make sure they keep their beers down.;)

repo man
04-29-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Boatcop
Jerry (Burns) works for me, and is usually out on weekends. Rank and Seniority has its benefits, so I've been able to be off most weekends over the past few years. After 13 years of working every weekend and holiday, I had enough good guys on the River, that I could be off on Sat and Sun for a welcome change.
That, however will change this year. I lost one trained Officer to the Narco squad last October, and a guy I just got trained over the winter, is leaving in 2 weeks to go to Havasu PD. :mad: :mad:
We're already 1 down, so for the first part of this summer. it'll be just me and Jerry. So much for the relaxing weekends. :(
We've got 3 graduating from the Academy May 14th, but they won't be through with field training until the middle of July, and only one of those will be assigned to Boating. He won't be much more than an assistant until we can get him up to speed on the Boting Laws, Operation, etc. So until then, we're 8 people down on the Department. We're beating the bushes big time to get some certified Officers to come over, but until we can convince the bean counters that we need more money for pay, I don't look at having a whole lot of success.
8 short may not sound like a big deal, except when you figure we only have 26 total Deputies on Patrol (22) and Boating(4). That's nearly 1/3 of the Department.
So, if you see a pissed off looking Sergeant out on the boats this summer, that'll be me.
Try to stay on my good side. :D :D :D sorry to hear that but please don't take it out on me , i'll be good I promise.

jackpunx
04-29-2004, 02:59 PM
Well I donÂ’t drink so I always got cold water in the cooler for you.. I'll pull you over when I see someone other then Jerry Burns.. And visa versa.. I have a white/yellow Stoker with a whipple S/C if you see me out there pull us over for a chat.. Good luck with your new guys.. James Burns has been really cool with us so far this year.. But I heard we donÂ’t want to catch him on a bad day:D
A good buddy of mine just got a job as a bartender at the Roadrunner.. I met Danielle through them she works with you guys.. she was hanging out with us during the day. Last week she left her keys in my boat.. .. so I found Frances and gave him the keys.. asked him to call Burns and tell her we had left them with you guys.. It worked out well.. We try to go out there every other weekend.. IÂ’m really liking parker better then Havasu as of late.
Look forward to seeing you out there..

WILDERTHANU
04-29-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Boatcop
Try to stay on my good side. :D :D :D
LAY OFF US HOTROD V-DRIVES A BIT........:yuk: :yuk: :yuk:
HOW GAY WOULD MUFFFFFLERS LOOK ON THIS SIR????
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/275118-1878_IMG_2_.JPG

Dave C
04-29-2004, 03:55 PM
we have a very simple philosphy when it comes to the deputies at our lake. Show them a little respect and they will leave you alone.
We "pretend"... i mean, always obey the laws when they are around and we don't have a problem.
Usually there is some other idiot flaunting some sort of infraction that requires their attention so then they leave us sort-of-law-abiding people alone.