PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of Lightning Power Boats

SD Chris
04-29-2004, 09:04 AM
Saw the review in ***boat mag, looks like a good entry level, also looks exactly like an ultra. same model 21xs
Does anyone have one or know anyone that does
Website, more pictures?

jet4fun
04-29-2004, 09:16 AM
i believe it is the former west coast ultra boats in san fernando... my understanding is that they used to get bare hulls from ultra in el cajon, and rig them themselves... they must have decided to change to their own name (for whatever reason???), and i heard that they are now doing the la-up in house. kinda funny that they are using the name of the old cheap line that ultra used to make
of course i could be completely wrong:confused:

THOR
04-29-2004, 09:18 AM
Lightnings were Ultra hulls just without the frills. What Laser is to Essex is what Lightning was to Ultra. Ultra hasnt made any Lightnings for a few years at least. They are on their own now. They look good to me.

Jetdriver
04-29-2004, 10:05 AM
Just fair warning YOU WILL GET ****ED BY THE OWNER DO NOT BUY A BOAT FROM THEM!

jbtrailerjim
04-29-2004, 11:55 AM
I heard the owner of Lightning is the brother of that crooked **** Jerry Van Beek (the old owner of Ultra) that screwed over alot of people before John West bought Ultra from him. Is Lightning laying up there own hull's now? I thought Joel at Genesis was laying them up for them. Not positive about that but I thought I remember hearing that from someone.

dicudmore
04-29-2004, 11:59 AM
Don't know who does the lay up for them. They are definitely the san fernando shop that used to sell Ultra's. Called west coast ultra or some jazz like that. Believe they purchased some molds from Ultra and are now putting their own name on

Lightning
04-29-2004, 12:32 PM
Ultra used to make the Lightning's in house and sell them direct. I own one (bought in August 2001 from Ultra in El Cajon); it was my first boat. I think John was not making enough money on them and ended up selling the molds to the guys in San Fernando.
They were laid up exactly the same as Ultra's were back then (that is what was said anyways), no difference as far as the hull is concerned. The 21xs was exactly the same between the 2 lines, they just had less frills on the interior stuff; no stereo, no power hatch, no power fuel switch, no cup holders in the bow, simpler interior, you get the picture.....).

MudPumper
04-29-2004, 01:17 PM
The owner is Jason Van Beek, the son of the other guy yada yada yada, and they are producing the Lightning line in San Fernando. Jason said, at the LA Boat show, that they are still associated with John West and Ultra Boats. The Lightning boat is an Ultra, without the name. It is supposed to be an entry level performance boat from what I understand. Same hulls, less frills such as anodized parts, less graphics, options etc.

HBjet
04-29-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by MudPumper
Same hulls, less frills such as anodized parts, less graphics, options etc.
And single axle trailers right?:D

Infomaniac
04-29-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Lightning
Ultra used to make the Lightning's in house and sell them direct. I own one (bought in August 2001 from Ultra in El Cajon); it was my first boat. I think John was not making enough money on them and ended up selling the molds to the guys in San Fernando.
They were laid up exactly the same as Ultra's were back then (that is what was said anyways), no difference as far as the hull is concerned. The 21xs was exactly the same between the 2 lines, they just had less frills on the interior stuff; no stereo, no power hatch, no power fuel switch, no cup holders in the bow, simpler interior, you get the picture.....).
Mrs. Infomaniac has this 23XS from when they were build by John West Ultra. 2001 Model bought new in 2002.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/211Ultra1-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/211Okie1-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/211Okie5-med.JPG

havasuboater
04-29-2004, 05:21 PM
I bought an Ultra from Jerry Van Beek in 1994 and my brother bought a lightning from Jason Van Beek in 2002. These brothers have treated us with nothing but the most professional attitude and doing buisness with then has been wonderful. Both of the boats we bought are worth more now than when the Van Beek brothers sold them to us. Don't know much about John West???? but if he treats you any way these boys do, I'm sure he'll go a long way.

Jetdriver
04-29-2004, 08:06 PM
Jason is the owner, and Im telling you maybe some people have had good luck but I will tell you from a personnal level that he will **** you over to no end. If you want details you can PM me!

Lightning
04-29-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by HBjet
And single axle trailers right?:D
Mine actually came on a tandem axle Extreme. I did have to upgrade to a break away tongue and spare tire carrier though ;)

HighRoller
04-30-2004, 09:45 AM
Sounds like HavasuBoater is reading a written advertisement...

SD Chris
04-30-2004, 10:17 AM
I am just looking for an entry level boat to go halfs with my dad on. I go to the river quite a bit on my buddys 26 foot carerra party cat. I am hooked, i love mojave, havasu, needles, all of it. My dad is looking at boats, but he is leaning more towards the cookie cutter boats such as four winns etc. A cat is outa my price range, and I am only 19 so insurance would be horendus, so I am thinking a 21 foot V is the way to go, any other boats we should look into. I am trying to keep the price pretty low, so I am looking at aftershock, lightning, etc

Essex502
04-30-2004, 11:28 AM
On Mohave and Havasu a 21' boat gets beat up pretty badly when the wind blows and there's lots of boat traffic. I'd recommend looking into a used custom in the 25-26' range. Good compromise and you won't take the depreciation hit on it.

dicudmore
04-30-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Essex502
On Mohave and Havasu a 21' boat gets beat up pretty badly when the wind blows and there's lots of boat traffic. I'd recommend looking into a used custom in the 25-26' range. Good compromise and you won't take the depreciation hit on it.
Sounds like really good advice if most boating time is at one of the river lakes. We darn near bring kidney belts when we take the 21' Hallett out there

BarryMac
04-30-2004, 11:58 AM
Did you see the 1992 Carrera 202xr for sale in the Sandbar Forum? It looks really clean.

sandblasted
04-30-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by dicudmore
Sounds like really good advice if most boating time is at one of the river lakes. We darn near bring kidney belts when we take the 21' Hallett out there
I say ditto to this....I keep my 21 ultra on the "river"....Havasu and Mojave are just to rough...if it's not the wind beating you up its the 40ft fountains and skaters!!!

SD Chris
05-01-2004, 02:30 PM
Guess I have been gettin spoiled riding in the carrera cat.
Boat will probably happen next spring, tryin to convince my dad on al ultra 247, I really want a cat, but with insurance and the high cost of everything else, that just isn't realistic for our family right now.
How much do used 247s go for, anyone seen one lately?

GrapeApe
05-04-2004, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by SD Chris
Guess I have been gettin spoiled riding in the carrera cat.
Boat will probably happen next spring, tryin to convince my dad on al ultra 247, I really want a cat, but with insurance and the high cost of everything else, that just isn't realistic for our family right now.
How much do used 247s go for, anyone seen one lately?
Isn't the 247 a new Mold..? No used ones Yet that I know of... But the Boat looks Awesome....
*** Grape Ape ***

jbtrailerjim
05-04-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by GrapeApe
Isn't the 247 a new Mold..? No used ones Yet that I know of... But the Boat looks Awesome....
*** Grape Ape ***
I think your thinking of the new 24 Stealth. The 247XS has been around for a while now. I think Ultra has had that mold for at least a few year's now.

SD Chris
05-04-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by jbtrailerjim
I think your thinking of the new 24 Stealth. The 247XS has been around for a while now. I think Ultra has had that mold for at least a few year's now.
How do you like your boat, are you getting tossed around alot on the lake? What power are you running?

jbtrailerjim
05-04-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by SD Chris
How do you like your boat, are you getting tossed around alot on the lake? What power are you running?
I love my boat. I've never had it out on any real rough stuff like Mohave or Mead get's. But it handles the Havasu lake chop great. For power I have the 496Mag.

lovemyultra
05-08-2004, 01:24 PM
Jason is the owner of the dealership and has been a stand up guy to me, he is honest and probably will **** you if you try to screw him. I have dealt with him for several years now and two boats .Remember there are two sides to every story. By the way Jason is Jerrys brother not his son