PDA

View Full Version : Help, Computer Problems

Nubbs
05-01-2004, 04:57 PM
Any of you computer gurus know what the files "avserve.exe" and "svchost.exe" are used for? This avserve file is screwing my computer up. It takes up 99% of my cpu usage and won't allow me to go on the internet. When I close the file I can get on the internet and my cpu usage goes to almost 0%. Can anybody help me on this one?

Cole Sanger
05-01-2004, 05:06 PM
I had that same adsrve.com problem. I had norton 2000 and went and upgraded to norton systemworks. It took a while, but now it looks like I am up and running with no further problems. That adsrve.com, not adserve.com. Adserve.com has a notice on their home page saying they are not connected with adsrve.com and that they are looking into the problem. I read somewhere that adsrve.com will put up a popup anytime you have the word "hot" on a page. It sucked. Everytime I came to ***boat, I got a popup.

GlastronGuy
05-01-2004, 05:41 PM
If I am not mistaken, avserve.exe is a virus.
svchost.exe is part of Windows and you need it.

Ntwotrance
05-01-2004, 07:10 PM
check your pms.

Cole Sanger
05-01-2004, 07:27 PM
I am not sure what it would be classified as, but it is a program that you have to download, or gets downloaded somehow and puts popups on your computer.

GlastronGuy
05-01-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Cole Sanger
I am not sure what it would be classified as, but it is a program that you have to download, or gets downloaded somehow and puts popups on your computer.
svchost.exe?
:confused:

Cheap Thrills
05-01-2004, 07:48 PM
Svchost.exe is a generic host process name for services that run from dynamic-link libraries (DLLs).
The Svchost.exe file is located in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that it needs to load. Multiple instances of Svchost.exe can run at the same time. Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services, so that separate services can run, depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started. This allows for better control and easier debugging.
C.T. :wink:

GlastronGuy
05-01-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Cheap Thrills
Svchost.exe is a generic host process name for services that run from dynamic-link libraries (DLLs).
The Svchost.exe file is located in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that it needs to load. Multiple instances of Svchost.exe can run at the same time. Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services, so that separate services can run, depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started. This allows for better control and easier debugging.
C.T. :wink:
That's what I said and the other is a worm so I am not sure where the reference to spyware/adware/hijacker came from.

Ntwotrance
05-01-2004, 10:13 PM
left you a stinger to remove it in your pms...

BOBALOO
05-02-2004, 09:53 AM
Does anyone know why my computer has a popup box in the center of the screen that says "Symantic e-mail proxy"?
It displays this twice every time I restart my computer, once I click OK it goes away.

Ntwotrance
05-02-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by BOBALOO
Does anyone know why my computer has a popup box in the center of the screen that says "Symantic e-mail proxy"?
It displays this twice every time I restart my computer, once I click OK it goes away.
check your pms.

GlastronGuy
05-02-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Ntwotrance
check your pms.
If you post it here, others with the same problem may learn from it.

Ntwotrance
05-02-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by GlastronGuy
If you post it here, others with the same problem may learn from it.
well, for Nubbs, I left a stinger virus remover for the virus he has, a new one I hadn't heard of before....if you have a virus, there are different types of virus removers, but for him, it's the one he needs to get rid of what he's got....for Bobaloo, I do belive I asked him what o/s he was running, who his isp was, and.....what version of norton he was running. what he's got isn't a virus, but a sort of error with his firewall (my best guess based on what I can see).

GlastronGuy
05-02-2004, 04:16 PM
Thanks. Get him to post or tell you the exact error message. Also find out how he connects to the internet. It may be a network config problem.

BOBALOO
05-02-2004, 04:26 PM
It is not an error message (I dont think) but a box in the middle of my screen that says symantic e-mail proxy. I have to click the OK in the middle to close.There is also a box in the current open applications/websites bar at the bottom of my screen that I can right click and close to get rid of.
XP Pro
Norton
Mac Afee
Verizon DSL
everything up to date
Did not do this for about a month and I think after I updated my antivirus it started.

GlastronGuy
05-02-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by BOBALOO
It is not an error message (I dont think) but a box in the middle of my screen that says symantic e-mail proxy. I have to click the OK in the middle to close.There is also a box in the current open applications/websites bar at the bottom of my screen that I can right click and close to get rid of.
XP Pro
Norton
Mac Afee
Verizon DSL
everything up to date
Did not do this for about a month and I think after I updated my antivirus it started.
Norton's and McAfee don't play well together. You only need one AV

Nubbs
05-03-2004, 06:15 AM
Thanks for all the help in getting my confuser, I mean computer, running good again.
On a side note, were the forums down Sat. and Sun?
Thanks
Nubbs

Ntwotrance
05-03-2004, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by Nubbs
Thanks for all the help in getting my confuser, I mean computer, running good again.
Thanks
Nubbs
I was on part of the weekend with no probs...

FMluvswater
05-03-2004, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by Nubbs
Thanks
Nubbs
I couldn't get here all weekend kept getting Gateway Timeout on the DNS lookup.

OGShocker
05-03-2004, 07:02 AM
See these sites for more info.....
First (http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/svchost/)
Or
Second (http://www.lurhq.com/sasser.html)