PDA

View Full Version : Any Baseball card collectors out there?

Tahiti350
04-01-2006, 04:15 PM
This is not a SPAM (yet)!!!
While ransacking the local wrecking yard I found a BIG stack of '80's and '90's Baseball cards in like new condition. Still counting and sorting, but mostly Topps, Fleer, and Score, with a few Don Russ, Pinnicale, and Upper Deck cards mixed in. I've never really followed Baseball, so I only recognize a few names, and have no idea what the whole pile is worth. Will post a count by brands in a while.
Also found several Comics in the same box, some in plastic still, Marvel and DC comics (X-men, X-Factor, Hulk, New Warriors, Ultraforce, Legion of Superheroes, etc).
I'm hoping someone might be able to give a ballpark price, and I might be convinced to sell if someone really wants them.

Parker Dreamin
04-01-2006, 04:17 PM
I will give you $50 and pick them up tonight, if I lived in the area.

GHT
04-01-2006, 04:32 PM
Not me.... :)

Tahiti350
04-01-2006, 05:25 PM
Okay, just finished counting cards (224 cards), here's the breakout:
Topps - 85 cards from '78-2000 most are '84, '87, and '89
Fleer - 72 cards from '82-'91 most are '82 and '83
Leaf - 39 cards from '87-'92 most are '90 and '92 (92 silver, gold, and red)
Score - 14 cards '88, '89, and '92
Pinniacle(Score) - 8 cards '93, '94
Upper Deck - 5 cards '88, '91, 2004
Ted Williams - 1 card '94
I saw a lot of names that I recognized, including: Deon Sanders, Edgar Martinez, etc....

JetBoatRich
04-01-2006, 05:56 PM
I have a few books of cards, I hope some day they are worth something to my son :cool:

wsuwrhr
04-01-2006, 06:03 PM
I have a few books of cards, I hope some day they are worth something to my son :cool:
I used to be into it when I was riding a bicycle. Those were the days.
I have SO MANY boxed mint sets of cards, some of which I have never even looked at, thinking they would be worth something someday.
Brian

wsuwrhr
04-01-2006, 06:04 PM
They might be worth something, not a gold mine by any means though.
I checked on the value of my cards when we bought our home in '03.
:cool: :cool: :cool:
I have mostly early 80's vintage from the big three at the time, Topps, Fleer and Dunruss.
I figured my shiz was worth around $2000. Pretty good considering what I spent on it, but not enough to cash in.
Brian
This is not a SPAM (yet)!!!
While ransacking the local wrecking yard I found a BIG stack of '80's and '90's Baseball cards in like new condition. Still counting and sorting, but mostly Topps, Fleer, and Score, with a few Don Russ, Pinnicale, and Upper Deck cards mixed in. I've never really followed Baseball, so I only recognize a few names, and have no idea what the whole pile is worth. Will post a count by brands in a while.
Also found several Comics in the same box, some in plastic still, Marvel and DC comics (X-men, X-Factor, Hulk, New Warriors, Ultraforce, Legion of Superheroes, etc).
I'm hoping someone might be able to give a ballpark price, and I might be convinced to sell if someone really wants them.

Tahiti350
04-01-2006, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the input, I'll proably take them to the local card show and see what I can get just cashing them out. If I could get $100 for the whole pile I'd be tickled. That would fill up the boat!!!! :mad:

mikendel
04-02-2006, 09:02 AM
Look for Bonds, Clemons, Gwynn, Maddox in the 87 year. Decent money in these cards.

RiverToysJas
04-02-2006, 09:19 AM
I have mostly early 80's vintage from the big three at the time, Topps, Fleer and Dunruss.
I figured my shiz was worth around $2000. Pretty good considering what I spent on it, but not enough to cash in.
Brian
How did you figure that dollar amount? Have you tried to sell them to a dealer or talked to a deal about their worth?
I ask because me and my wife went to liquidate our collective late 70's and early 80's cards (including complete tops sets from 3 years in the early 80s, all in mint condition), we found they were not quite worth the paper they were printed on in the real world. After looking into it further, I found out that cards printed after '78 I think it was, aren't worth much because of the massive quantities they were printed in. Most dealers we called to get an estimate on value, didn't have any interest at all in the 80's and up. We ended up just keeping them, figuring MAYBE things would change someday. That was probably 10 years ago, and if that $2,000 figure you posted is accurate, I think they have changed!!! Maybe I'll start calling around again.... :idea:
I do have a Ricky Handerson misprint card from the early-mid 80's that's supposed to be worth a fair amount though. :D
RTJas :D

BigDoug
04-02-2006, 10:20 AM
This is a cool thread, i like to collect football, nascar, wrestling, baseball etc.
I have a rookie Ken Griffey (sp) im not an advide collector just reminds me of my child hood though. oh and a couple Mickey Mantle too. :)

djunkie
04-02-2006, 10:27 AM
I collected baseball cards when I was a kid. I've got a pretty impressive collection. Especially the ones that were given to me by my dad and my uncle. Hoping there still worth something if I ever have kids. Hell maybe I'll by a new boat with them some day. :rollside:

wsuwrhr
04-02-2006, 10:31 AM
I went to two card shops and I checked on Ebay.
Brian
How did you figure that dollar amount? Have you tried to sell them to a dealer or talked to a deal about their worth?
I ask because me and my wife went to liquidate our collective late 70's and early 80's cards (including complete tops sets from 3 years in the early 80s, all in mint condition), we found they were not quite worth the paper they were printed on in the real world. After looking into it further, I found out that cards printed after '78 I think it was, aren't worth much because of the massive quantities they were printed in. Most dealers we called to get an estimate on value, didn't have any interest at all in the 80's and up. We ended up just keeping them, figuring MAYBE things would change someday. That was probably 10 years ago, and if that $2,000 figure you posted is accurate, I think they have changed!!! Maybe I'll start calling around again.... :idea:
I do have a Ricky Handerson misprint card from the early-mid 80's that's supposed to be worth a fair amount though. :D

ROZ
04-02-2006, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the input, I'll proably take them to the local card show and see what I can get just cashing them out. If I could get $100 for the whole pile I'd be tickled. That would fill up the boat!!!! :mad:
I spoke to a buddy who owns a card shop.. He said like 30 bucks for the lot is a good offer not knowing what you have :) He figures you may have 2 or 3 decent cards out of it....

Tahiti350
04-02-2006, 11:01 AM
Roz,
Thanks for the reality check, I guess everyone dreams big, but wouldn't it be cool to have just one big $$ card in the pile..... :cool:
Anyway that'd be $30 more than I had before, and would help pay for a day of fuel in the boat.

ROZ
04-02-2006, 11:04 AM
Roz,
Thanks for the reality check, I guess everyone dreams big, but wouldn't it be cool to have just one big $$ card in the pile..... :cool:
Anyway that'd be $30 more than I had before, and would help pay for a day of fuel in the boat.
Well didn't someone post something about giving you 50? :D
I'd check them all out before you sold the lot :)

Tahiti350
04-02-2006, 12:19 PM
That's a lot of cards to go thru one at a time, but I guess if I find a couple of GOOD cards it'd be worth it. I may have to run to one of the bookstores and get the card price guide and start looking. It will eat into myHB posting time though :mad: :220v:

Mohave Vice
04-02-2006, 01:12 PM
Not much on cards here. My dad grew up, grade school and high school with Mickey Mantle in Commerce, Oklahoma. I have dad's grade school and high school year books with pics of my dad and Manrle together as you boys. Wgat's something like this worth?

RiverToysJas
04-02-2006, 02:12 PM
I went to two card shops and I checked on Ebay.
Brian
That's cool. You must have a lot of really good ones, I see a lot of these deals on EBAY.... (http://cgi.ebay.com/1983-TOPPS-BASEBALL-COMPLETE-SET-MINT-GWYNN-BOGGS-RC_W0QQitemZ8790036309QQcategoryZ55895QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem)