Desert Rat
05-03-2004, 11:10 AM
With a cover on your boat or not?

Essex502
05-03-2004, 11:12 AM
Never.

superdave013
never and I have a full towing cover that goes all the way down to the trailer.
Your gelcoat and cover will last much longer if you take if off for the road trip.

al cole'holic
No...unless you don't mind f'n up the gel...

copperrat20
05-03-2004, 11:13 AM
I normally don't tow with a cover on my boat. But the first weekend this last april, when we had that heavy rain, I did and when I got to the river there was only what I can describe as a rash on my white boat. The cover is red and it left this rash deep inside the gelcoat. Hours and hours of buffing was the only way to remove it. Never again will I make this mistake.

AleAlchemist
05-03-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by copperrat20
I normally don't tow with a cover on my boat. But the first weekend this last april, when we had that heavy rain, I did and when I got to the river there was only what I can describe as a rash on my white boat. The cover is red and it left this rash deep inside the gelcoat. Hours and hours of buffing was the only way to remove it. Never again will I make this mistake.
Right look out for the rain...
Wouldn't want your boat to get Wet! :D :p
I dont care what it says on Da Box There is no such thing as a towable cover!

copperrat20
05-03-2004, 11:20 AM
Or wouldn't want that blower that sticks out of the engine cover with those two carbs on it to get any rain in them. Oh you wouldn't know what real power is now would you! Just kidding.

AleAlchemist
05-03-2004, 11:21 AM
:D Touche!

HammerDown
05-03-2004, 11:25 AM
At times I wish I could. But I would'nt want all those ugly snaps in the Gel.

copperrat20
05-03-2004, 11:26 AM
Just a little. Took me four hours to buff that shit out of the gel coat. Learn from my mistakes people. Ziplocks and duct-tape are the way to go if you have carbs sticking out.

Nubbs
05-03-2004, 11:35 AM
No, did once, won't make the mistake again.

Dr. Eagle
05-03-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Nubbs
No, did once, won't make the mistake again.
Ditto, took weeks to polish out the scratches and the plexi windshield never did recover.

CustomCruiser
05-03-2004, 11:37 AM
Yes, every trip (I don't store my boat at Havasu). I've been towing with my boat covered now for over 6 years. The cover was custom tailored for my boat and has two parts. The outer canvas cover and a second, soft flannel inner liner. The liner protects the gel coat from the canvas.
I've never had any problems with the gel coat. My boat is low profile and sits low on the trailer. Before I purchased the cover, I would get rock dings in the gel, and all types of debris inside (like tar-covered rocks from the shoulder on Rice Road). I have been caught in the rain. When I finally got the boat home in the garage, the entire lower uncovered part of the boat was black and covered with road grime. The covered part was spotless.

Debbolas
05-03-2004, 11:37 AM
Our beautifal Kachina Boat came with bow and cockpit covers that snap down so you can tow the boat with these covers on.
:D :cool:

copperrat20
05-03-2004, 11:39 AM
That is great and all but don't you hate the snaps showing?

CustomCruiser
05-03-2004, 11:41 AM
No snaps. Mine is tied down.

beer hunter
05-03-2004, 11:41 AM
Only with the bow cover. :)

Debbolas
05-03-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by copperrat20
That is great and all but don't you hate the snaps showing?
The boat came that way, so we didn't see it without the snaps. I know what you mean about the snaps, but being able to tow with the boat covered is so worth it. I don't have to worry about stuff blowing out, and it arrives at the river clean, no road grease.
:cool:

Mandelon
05-03-2004, 11:52 AM
I had a snap cover on the Carrera. We used it on longer trips, but not short ones. It really helped keep the inside cleaner on trips. Snaps are not exactly pretty, but you get used to them.
It blew up once in Palm Springs on the 10 fwy westbound in high head winds. Kinda scary to see that thing billow up behind me. :eek:

Chase
05-03-2004, 01:56 PM
OK, short trips, not a chance, but on the longer trips...say to British Columbia or the northern spots in the province I will put a form fit cover on the boat that secures to the trailer. There has been no damage to the gel coat as of yet, and it sure helps to keep shit out of the boat on the long hauls.
So when all of you see Chase going to Havasu, he will probably have a cover on the boat..
The short trips, I tow with the bow cover on, to keep the wind out of the boat. Yes it snaps on, and I will live with the look of snaps.

Ziggy
05-03-2004, 01:58 PM
NEVER!!!
Dirt will wash clean off, damaged gel won't wash clean.
Seems like those with the snaps would get little burn circles on your body from touching them out in the desert sun.

BarryMac
05-03-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Mandelon
I had a snap cover on the Carrera. We used it on longer trips, but not short ones. It really helped keep the inside cleaner on trips. Snaps are not exactly pretty, but you get used to them.
It blew up once in Palm Springs on the 10 fwy westbound in high head winds. Kinda scary to see that thing billow up behind me. :eek:
Good to know, I will make sure that one is stored properly in the memory bank...:D

Ziggy
05-03-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by gottajetboat
Good to know, I will make sure that one is stored properly in the memory bank...:D
Hey Gottajetboat, I heard you have snaps for a cover on your boat:D :D ;)

Mandelon
05-03-2004, 02:08 PM
It looks snappy!!! :D

welk2party
05-03-2004, 02:08 PM
NEVER DO IT!:frown:

BarryMac
05-03-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Ziggy
Hey Gottajetboat, I heard you have snaps for a cover on your boat:D :D ;)
Yes I do, and as of today I haven't been burned by the hot buttons sitting in the hot sun, I will let you know what happens the week after next when we make our first trip to the river, I can't wait. Im thinking I am going to have to take a personal day on Thursday, go to San Vicente :D just so I can put it in some water, sit in the drivers seat and hear the roar of the engine, maybe hit the rooster tail a time or ten. Ohhhhh sorry this is a thread on tow covers, I lost it for a second...Back to reality:cool: :D :cool: :D

Three Days Only
05-03-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by CustomCruiser
I've never had any problems with the gel coat. My boat is low profile and sits low on the trailer.
His boat looks brand new, still to this day. I can vouch for him on this one. I towed with a cover on once and thrashed the edges of the boat. Will never do it again. Guess you just need a good cover with a inner liner.
Jeff

Kilrtoy
05-03-2004, 02:14 PM
Why on God's green earth would you tow a boat with a cover on on it.
That is like using a football bat in a soccer game....

copperrat20
05-03-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
Why on God's green earth would you tow a boat with a cover on on it.
Read one of my threads on the first page and you will understand. Hard lesson to be learned.

Dave C
05-03-2004, 03:57 PM
never... too many dirt roads on the way to the water around here. plus most covers scratch the gel.

Dave C
05-03-2004, 03:58 PM
uhhhh... care to explain..... or just pass whatever.....
Originally posted by Kilrtoy

UnionJack
05-03-2004, 03:59 PM
I will never do it, although you always see people doing it

mbrown2
05-03-2004, 04:18 PM
Nope...been there scratched that...never again

Debbolas
05-03-2004, 04:51 PM
snaps!!
for the snap on covers!
LOL :D

WILD LAVEY
05-03-2004, 06:40 PM
thats a big no! no!. its easier to wash out dirt than polish gel.

Kilrtoy
05-03-2004, 06:43 PM
uhhhh... care to explain..... or just pass whatever
I never heard of a bat being used in football game , let alone at a soccer game. That is how much sense it makes too tow with a cover

DeltaSigBoater
05-03-2004, 11:31 PM
I used to but, dont anymore since Sept 11.
Before you cross Hoover Dam (both ways) you have to go through a inspection point where they check you over, make sure you're not carying any illegal substances and or devices (ex: explosives), in a terreoristic mannor/purposes.
If you are towing the boat w/o cover they will have a look inside too.
If you have the cover on, be prepared to be there for a while while everything is searched.
Hasn't happened to me, but I have seen it happen to others.

framer1
05-04-2004, 04:24 AM
Never!!! I towed with cover on Carrera because of rain. It scratched the gelcoat and wore the paint off the grab handle above the swin step. Not good:(

jbtrailerjim
05-04-2004, 04:59 AM
Nope, I've never towed with it and never will. I alway's get a laugh out of the guy's you see pulling some crappy older cookie cutter type boat and they have the cover on and it's flapping in the wind and look's like it's about to blow off.

BarryMac
05-04-2004, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by jbtrailerjim
Nope, I've never towed with it and never will. I alway's get a laugh out of the guy's you see pulling some crappy older cookie cutter type boat and they have the cover on and it's flapping in the wind and look's like it's about to blow off.
Hey that used to be me, I am better educated now so I wont make that mistake anymore...:D

superdave013
05-04-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by CustomCruiser
Yes, every trip (I don't store my boat at Havasu). I've been towing with my boat covered now for over 6 years. The cover was custom tailored for my boat and has two parts. The outer canvas cover and a second, soft flannel inner liner. The liner protects the gel coat from the canvas.
I've never had any problems with the gel coat. My boat is low profile and sits low on the trailer. Before I purchased the cover, I would get rock dings in the gel, and all types of debris inside (like tar-covered rocks from the shoulder on Rice Road). I have been caught in the rain. When I finally got the boat home in the garage, the entire lower uncovered part of the boat was black and covered with road grime. The covered part was spotless.
Who made your cover? Mine's a Custom Canvas but it's so old I don't take the chance.

CustomCruiser
05-04-2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by superdave013
Who made your cover? Mine's a Custom Canvas but it's so old I don't take the chance.
American Canvas in Montclair.

HalletDave
05-04-2004, 10:18 AM
Have never will never.
I would not want to deprive anyone of seeing the classic 77 Hallett in tow.;) :D

dc96819
05-04-2004, 12:59 PM
Always and never a problem:D

rrrr
05-04-2004, 01:09 PM
I towed my recently sold 24' bowrider with a cover on. It had a soft underside, and I tied it so tight that a small kid coulda used it for a trampoline. :D Never had a problem.
My new 26' Chapparal (which is sposed to be here this week :D) has a snap on cockpit and bow area cover. I never wanted a boat with snaps like some of you, but decided to try it. One neat thing about this boat, the area around the rear of the cockpit and transom doesn't have snaps.
There are little stainless steel buttons in that area that pop out with a 1/4 turn. When retracted they are barely noticeable.
One nice thing about the cover on long trips, you can store lots of junk like coolers and easy-ups in the boat and don't have to worry as much about it getting stolen.
I think the new boat is gonna get an alarm system and a Lo-Jack too.