PDA

View Full Version : New Threat to boat DOCUMENTATION

burtandnancy
05-04-2004, 03:04 PM
Just got a letter from State of Nevada, Dept of Wildlife. that the law has been changed in regards to boats Documentated by the Coast Guard. I am now required to prove that applicable sales or use tax has been paid to the Dept of Taxation. I will be issued new stickers for the hull, but will not have to paint on numbers (I already have the name and home port on the transom) as well as well as permanent ID numbers on the keel.
Does this sound like new taxation or what?
Does anyone know how to revert from Documentation to state registration or is it worth it? This is my first documented boat...

Dr. Eagle
05-04-2004, 03:09 PM
I always thought that was one of the advantages of having a documented boat, tax relief. Maybe I didn't pay attention when that was covered in class.:D

91nordic29
05-04-2004, 03:27 PM
here is a link for you
uscg (http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/vdoc/forms/cg1280.doc)

burtandnancy
05-04-2004, 04:23 PM
thanks Nordic, thats very helpful info. I wonder if various states can add taxes as well? Its going to be interesting to see how this plays out...

BROS&HOS
05-04-2004, 04:40 PM
My friend bought a 29' Warlock World Class in Florida and had it shipped to California. He did the C.G. documentation to avoid the luxury tax out here. A couple of years later he got a bill for a little over $3K for sales tax from the state. The C.G. must release the info. to the states.

bgchuby
05-04-2004, 05:05 PM
having your boat documented and paying sales tax are two different issues. documenting your boat just regesters your boat with the coast guard instead of the state you live in. If you take delivery of your boat in the state you live in you must still pay the sales tax.

burtandnancy
05-04-2004, 07:43 PM
Problem Solved! A friend just got the same letter but his included a fee schedule. Its no longer worth worrying about. Thanks for input...

burtandnancy
05-07-2004, 10:42 PM
Oops, bgchuby is right. Have heard rumor that NV tax people are looking at CF and AZ boats stored in NV. More to come...

Dr. Eagle
05-08-2004, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by bgchuby
having your boat documented and paying sales tax are two different issues. documenting your boat just regesters your boat with the coast guard instead of the state you live in. If you take delivery of your boat in the state you live in you must still pay the sales tax.
I don't believe that is true, unless it was a brand new boat. If it was a new boat, you are right. If it was a used boat, and it was bought in another state, the state can only collect USE tax (another taxism for sales tax) if you register it in the state. I believe that bill could be challenged under those circumstances.