PDA

View Full Version : How Many Ponies will I Have?

warlock25
04-19-2002, 06:12 PM
I'm rebuilding my Blown 502 BBC to a 560cu.in. Blower has been re-tefloned and a super chiller. New dart 360 aluminum heads, Carillo Rods, J&E Pistons,initial compression 9.2 to 1, dual 750's, running 8 to 10 lbs of boost. I'm debating if I should have it dynoed.($600.00? is it worth it?) does anyone have a similar set up or a good educated guess at the approx. H.P. Also running new IMCO powerflow exhaust. Thanks for your best guess, John
[This message has been edited by warlock25 (edited April 19, 2002).]

DMB
04-20-2002, 05:06 AM
You should have about 800 to 900 HP with the right blower.
The 750s are to small for that motor,run the 950s or dominators.

warlock25
04-20-2002, 05:59 AM
Hey DMB, I do happen to have the 750 's messaged out to 810. There more than likely still too small. will it just be a h.p. problem or will I hurt anything? Thanks John

Craig
04-20-2002, 06:32 AM
I'm running two 750's on a 420 blown 509. It made 878 horsepower on the dyno. The shop did say the carbs were the thing holding back making some more ponies, but at that point I figured I have more then enough horsepower to break my drive http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif. You should spend the money for the dyno. It's cheap insurance to give you piece of mind that when you hit the key it's right. No real playing with plugs, jetting and timing on the lake. Start it and go have fun. A blower motor can be fussy and destroy itself if not set up properly. You'll thank yourself in the end.
Craig

warlock25
04-20-2002, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the advise Craig, My friend who is building the engine was going to give it his best guess! I trust his ability more than most but he suggested Dyno time also. I'm just getting a little cheap towards the end. I'm at that nickle and diming stage that never seems to end. The stainless braided hoses and hose ends are incredibly expensive. And then there is the explaining to the wife thing why her boat is not in the water yet(Missed spring break entirely) and its still going to cost more $$$$$$$$$.( way over the original guesstimate when I convinced her we could do this in 3 months during the winter ) Oh well, it will be worth it in the end, see you out there, later.John

shiznit
04-20-2002, 07:47 AM
John,
I would definitely fork out the extra $$$$ for the dyno. I'm not nockin your motor builder buddy but you should always dyno a motor of that magnatude. What if you didn't and it wasn't set up to run at high rpm's properly. KABOOM!!!! Also wouldn't you want to know what your HP is peaking at each rpm? My first motor was never dynoed and it cost me large to rebuild it. Also don't push the boost too high starting off. I had mine at 8.5 lbs at first and had some problems running it hard for long periods of time, But then again I had a punie 468 compared to your 560. I now have my boost at 5 lbs to keep it out of the shop and away from my wallet. I'm only at 775hp but its pretty much turn key. I'm pushin 100+ but I still won't be able to keep up with the big boys with the huge ponies. So when am I gonna be able to see this damn thing in action? Hopefully memorial weekend right? Anyways let me know and we'll have a Warlock showdown. Also I can't stress to you enough to break the new motor in way before pinning it. Also what did you do for a drive upgrade?
Peace out,
Shiznit (rob)

warlock25
04-20-2002, 09:16 AM
Hi Rob, Your right on the dyno, whats another $600.00 anyway when there's thousands invested in this upgrade already. I haven't done anything yet as far as the outdrive goes. Was looking into the b-max but thought I would finish the motor first. If you can't tell by now, I'm running out of $$$$ on this project. My plan is to take it easy on the outdrive(9 year old bravo 1) and hopefully squeeze another season out of her. That will be next winters project. If I'm not out there by Memorial weekend- look for me at the pet-cementary because I'll be one dead duck. We will be out next weekend hopefully we will get to see the big boys run, we might have to launch the sea doo, pack it full of silvers just to watch. Be kind as you go by. We will be looking for you, John

DMB
04-20-2002, 11:42 AM
In my opinion if your builder has put together a proven combo cam,heads,Ect don't bother with the dyno,unless you want the sheet for bragging rights.
dynos are great but more for testing applications cams,heads,blowers,carbs and combos or for example trying a set of 950s instead of 750s to see what improvement it might have.
And you always want to check the plugs again at the lake when under a load even if you run the dyno.
Those carbs are marginal for that CI but I don't think you'll hurt it,start of fat with the jets and read the plugs,start with you primaries then secondaries.
If you can't get a good reading on the plugs no matter how high you jet it,your carbs are to small most likely,you also might experiance a surge or choking at idle (not enough air )then again they might work fine every engine is a little different even on the same combo,either way good luck.
[This message has been edited by DMB (edited April 21, 2002).]

Craig
04-20-2002, 01:04 PM
Warloc25,
I know the feeling about that last bunch of parts. You sometimes want to cheap it out just to get it on the water. I started building my motor the winter of 2000. Figured it'd be together by sping, then Memorial Day. Nope. OK, the 4th. Nope. Finally made it by the middle of August! I changed all my hoses over to braided. Man, you want a heart atack, add all those receipts up! $50 just for 1 -16 90! Good luck. Maintain your "do it right" for just a little bit longer. I did and was rewarded with a 114+ mph pass! You appreciate it in the long run http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
Craig

pleasantcat
04-20-2002, 02:33 PM
you dont want to "cheap out" on this project at all. i've been lucky enough building my car engines but, when they let go you just pull over and trailer home. little hard on a lake and even harder if you should be taking on water.. if you've seen craigs boat youl'd have a real sence of trust. he did a great job, and took the time to do it right..youll thank yourself in the end. and may i suggest a nice night out or trip to sandiego for the misses http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif might help smooth things out..

warlock25
04-21-2002, 06:15 AM
Thanks guys for all your good advise! At first I wasn't going to dyno it, Then I changed my mind( Didn't want to hurt anything after spending so much money) Had a long talk with my builder and I think the strongest reason to have it dynoed at this point is the possibility that the carbs are too small. Craig, thanks for the sympathy when it comes to putting this thing back together, I swear you were telling my story in regards to lead time. I've already watched spring break go by(wrote it off as being early this season)not my fault. Memorial day is a few weeks away and my boat and motor are 300 miles apart. They are both really looking good. The nickle & diming is endless! only its not nickle and dimes anymore. Not to mention the time loss every time I need another part fabricated because now something else doesn't fit. I figured all the major parts right on the money but we keep finding more(Altenator bracket,power stering pump bracket,Idler pulley bracket,etc.etc.) I know you guys have all been there, just venting! I'll post pics (Someday) O.K. committment time-----2 weeks!
John