PDA

View Full Version : hate mail IP addresses and food for thought.

Cheap Thrills
05-07-2004, 09:57 PM
Electronic threats can be traced via IP address and UIN. even if it's a non static address like a dialup can be traced back to the originating machine. UIN unique Identifier number each machine has one.
each machine sends it out with every mouse click on the internet!
communicating threats electronically be it E mail, instant messages , BBS , telephone , what have you is in fact a felony.
Punishable by $10,000.00 10 years in federal corrections or BOTH.
Just because youre behind a keyboard hiding in the dark
your not as anonomous as you may think you are. :cool:
Food For Thought .
C.T. :wink:

Debbolas
05-07-2004, 09:58 PM
so can we find this guy?

Dr. Eagle
05-07-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Debbolas
so can we find this guy?
Law Enforcement probably could.

Debbolas
05-07-2004, 10:00 PM
Oh Boat Cop,
Oh Boat Cop,
find this jerk please..............
(or maybe)
Oh Computer Cop
Oh Computer Cop
find this thing please...........

Ntwotrance
05-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
Law Enforcement probably could.
don't even need to go that far to get the ip....it's already in the email.

JetBoatRich
05-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Report it and let them follow through;)

Dr. Eagle
05-07-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Ntwotrance
don't even need to go that far to get the ip....it's already in the email.
THat's true, but the trick is in tracing it down....

Cheap Thrills
05-07-2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Debbolas
so can we find this guy?
Absolutely ! Very easy to do . notice at the bottom of each post it says "IP Logged" :D
HB server should have a record of the IP address on each post along with when the account was made . Dont hold me to that but that's the way my server works .
Plus if you have any E-mail sent from a web mail or POP mail account you cant trace it from that too.

Ntwotrance
05-07-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Cheap Thrills
Absolutely ! Very easy to do . notice at the bottom of each post it says "IP Logged" :D
HB server should have a record of the IP address on each post along with when the account was made . Dont hold me to that but that's the way my server works .
Plus if you have any E-mail sent from a web mail or POP mail account you cant trace it from that too.
very correct....gotta love this guy...

Cheap Thrills
05-07-2004, 10:15 PM
Just to get an Idea this little program will trace an IP address with civillian accuracy even draws a map not as good as the one I use but it's a free evaluation download and it gives alot of domain information (whois ) server and stuffs.
NeoTrace (http://download.com.com/3000-2648-7139158.html?tag=lst-0-1)
have fun :D
Bad Boys Bad Boys :p

Debbolas
05-07-2004, 10:16 PM
So in words that a blonde could understand..............what do we need to do now?

Ntwotrance
05-07-2004, 10:17 PM
Just to get an Idea this little program will trace an IP address with civillian accuracy even draws a map not as good as the one I use but it's a free evaluation download and it gives alot of domain information (whois ) server and stuffs.
NeoTrace (http://download.com.com/3000-2648-7139158.html?tag=lst-0-1)
have fun :D
Bad Boys Bad Boys :p
i just pm'ed dr. eagle about a program, and this is the one I was talking about...have other ones, but this one is a good starter.

Debbolas
05-07-2004, 10:19 PM
oh, good he has all the bad pm's nutcase sent me!
:D

fourspeednup
05-07-2004, 10:23 PM
I was under the impression that if a user was logged in using a dialup connection that he was essentially invisible to all but the highest authorities? But that's just what a young gearhead such as myself thought;)

Cheap Thrills
05-07-2004, 10:24 PM
Catch that PM Deb :D

Debbolas
05-07-2004, 10:34 PM
thanks!
:D

bigq
05-07-2004, 10:34 PM
you can only trace it to a block IP of the ISP after that i believe you need a court order because of privacy. sometimes you can get the the acrual machine if it is not setup right.You would still need the cooperation of the hosting ISP.

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-07-2004, 10:42 PM
someone get this guys info.. he is a well you fill in the blanks.. :mad:

Cheap Thrills
05-07-2004, 10:47 PM
your IP (http://checkip.dyndns.org/)
I would almost bet thats your personal IP address :D
True.
Most consumer ip tracing software will stop at the registrants sector. but concidering the nature of the complaint
and evidence in hand .
it would be all too easy to take action .

bigq
05-07-2004, 11:00 PM
your IP (http://checkip.dyndns.org/)
I would almost bet thats your personal IP address :D
True.
Most consumer ip tracing software will stop at the registrants sector. but concidering the nature of the complaint
and evidence in hand .
it would be all too easy to take action .
Yes, my routers anyway, It is also registered in the DNS database for web stuff. i just don't know how easy it would be for the ISP to give out the info. Wiht my IP you can do an NSLookup and find me. It might be worth the try though to get the law involved.