PDA

View Full Version : Nissan Titan

boxscore
05-10-2004, 10:08 AM
Any opinions on the Nissan Titan?.... Anyone own one? They've gotten fairly rave reviews but was wondering about the meat and taters real life story on the truck. I'm getting a little tired of my 26 gallon gas tank and my 10.3 mpg in my 2500hd.

Mandelon
05-10-2004, 10:10 AM
The 2500 will pass anything but a gas station.....
They got good reviews but geez, I think the Titans are ugly.....what's their tow rating?

boxscore
05-10-2004, 10:13 AM
9500 lbs. I think the hp and torque is just about the same as my 6.0 if not greater.

goneboatin
05-10-2004, 10:13 AM
Twenty five to thirty thousand can by alot of gas for that 2500HD.
Plus they still have that look like Frontier on steroids. Not a look that I like to see.:yuk:

boxscore
05-10-2004, 10:20 AM
Not especially concerned with the mileage. But my friggen range is about 225 miles. Wouldn't mind going 325 before gassing and thirstbustering.

dmontzsta
05-10-2004, 10:27 AM
Nissan has always built very strong and reliable cars. I can guarantee you the build quality of the Titan is far better than the 2500. Technology is really advanced now days and Nissan has put their technology in to the Titan. I own a 92 Maxima with 290,000+ miles on it, I have owned it for about 7 years and it has been pretty maintence free. I also own a 97 Maxima with 180,000+ on it and the same goes for that. Meanwhile, my fathers GMC Sierra 1500 has 140k and is basically a new truck, new engine and everything, the interior pieces are falling apart as well, my Nissans still look pretty new on the inside.

InKahntrol
05-10-2004, 11:01 AM
Perfect timing on this post. I'm the Road Test Editor at Edmunds.com, which means that when I'm not relaxing at the lake I spend my time driving new cars and trucks on the street and at the track, and then write about the experience.
I just spent the past week driving a brand new Nissan Titan 4x2 crew cab, and I cannot express how impressed I am with this truck. For background, my daily driver is a 2000 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3, and before that I owned several other Chevy pickups. I've always considered myself a "Chevy Truck Guy."
With that said, I now understand why Edmunds just rated the Nissan Titan "most significant vehicle of the year." The 5.6 liter DOHC 4-valve V8 is nothing short of awesome. It has GREAT power, lots of torque, towed my boat up the grapevine with ease, and sounds awesome... in fact, my friends thought it had an aftermarket exhaust system on it, thats how good it sounds. Coupled with a super smooth 5-speed automatic trans with a 1:1 ratio in 4th gear, and 3.31:1 gears that act like 4.11:1 because of the different trans ratios, the truck will burn rubber coming off a stoplight but still gets mileage in the high teens/low twenties.
This truck has the towing package, which includes an electronic locking diff, hitch and harness, oil cooler and trans temp gauge.
Now for the good stuff: The interior looks like it should be in an Infinity or a Lexus, not a pickup. Fit and finish is waaay beyond anything Chevy and Ford can offer, the seats are very comfortable, and the truck is quieter on a dB meter than a new BMW. The ride is firm but smooth, and it handles great. I wasn't a huge fan of the trucks styling at first because it "looks japanese", but after driving it for a week I'm hooked. Even my dad, an old-school Chevy guy, had to admit that this is an awesome truck. One thing to note is that we have both the 4x4 with a bench seat and the 4x2 with captains buckets in our fleet, and the buckets with a column shifter in the console is much cooler. Lots of storage space and a gated shifter like a mercedes.
Well, thats enough slobbering for now. For more info check out the site, we'll have the story up in about two weeks. Hope this helped.
Dan

summerlove
05-10-2004, 11:09 AM
Nice review Danny...
Hey, post the article of your old ford - what is a, a 28 ford coupe???
Also, if youhave it, post the mag cover as well. I'd like to see it.
Rick

Mandelon
05-10-2004, 11:33 AM
Yeah, OK. I used to have a Nissan pickup a long time ago and it was a piece of junk. So they improved it, but do they have Crew cab or diesel power and Long bed with 1 ton load ratings??

Essex502
05-10-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by dmontzsta
Nissan has always built very strong and reliable cars. I can guarantee you the build quality of the Titan is far better than the 2500. Technology is really advanced now days and Nissan has put their technology in to the Titan. I own a 92 Maxima with 290,000+ miles on it, I have owned it for about 7 years and it has been pretty maintence free. I also own a 97 Maxima with 180,000+ on it and the same goes for that. Meanwhile, my fathers GMC Sierra 1500 has 140k and is basically a new truck, new engine and everything, the interior pieces are falling apart as well, my Nissans still look pretty new on the inside.
That may be true for a vehicle that has been on the market for a few years for them to work out the bugs. My '95 Pathfinder was a complete POS. I ended up having most of the drivetrain except the shortblock replaced under warranty do to it being the first production run of the new model Pathfinder in 1995. They even replaced the 2 wheeldrive transmission with a 4 wheeldrive tranny because they couldn't get rid of the clunking when that truck came to a stop and then started up again. Replaced the rear gears at 8K miles. Driveshaft. Exhaust system. Aformentioned tranny. Exhaust manifold on passenger side. A/C. Half of the emission controls. Intake manifold. Front struts or shocks - I forget which. Thebrake rotors warped and needed replacing three times in 40K miles (not warranty eligible). I got rid of it 1 year early on the lease (took the hit) when the warranty expired.
Give them a coupla' years and revisit the issue.

One Particular Harbor
05-10-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Mandelon
Yeah, OK. I used to have a Nissan pickup a long time ago and it was a piece of junk. So they improved it, but do they have Crew cab or diesel power and Long bed with 1 ton load ratings??
- They do have a crew cab. Great back seat with lots of leg and head room.
- No diesel option available.
- Not sure about the long bed or weight ratings.
Test drove one. Great handling, great power. Very tight ride. I am a big fan of Chevrolet, but I was impressed. Crew cab (LE) had a very nice interior. Factory bedliner is a nice touch, too.

Mrs. Psycho Squid
05-10-2004, 07:36 PM
My personal opinion is that the titan is the ugliest truck on the road. From the side it's okay, but that head on view is hideous! You could not pay me to drive that thing.
Have you looked at the Toyota Tundra 4 door? I don't know about towing, etc. but I do know that they look nice! :D
Mrs. P

SoCalOffshore
05-10-2004, 09:17 PM
I think it is a ricer. :D

Just Tool'n
05-10-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by boxscore
Not especially concerned with the mileage. But my friggen range is about 225 miles. Wouldn't mind going 325 before gassing and thirstbustering.
I was in a shop the other day, they were putting in an aftermaket fuel tank on a 2500HD. This would get you further between fill ups but, wont be anycheaper on the fuel.
I Emailed Gear Vendors the other day to see if they made a overdrive for the Allison Tranny,They Said nope!
Had to drain 60 gallons of fuel out of my 28ft eliminator today, Fuel was put in last Sept, man the friends were lined up to put that fuel in there cars for Zero cents per gallon.
Getting ready to fire the new motor combo, C/W A Whipple superchager. I wanted to make sure had good fuel so as to get the tune-up correct.:)

Just Tool'n
05-10-2004, 09:49 PM
I was walking my 6 year old to school today, parked at the curb was a Nissan Titan, when it pulled away from the curb, it sound pretty good, I said to myself, Japan has gotten the cool factor of the sound of the truck just right!

boxscore
05-11-2004, 04:52 AM
I drove one yesterday. They've tuned that exhaust to rival the sound of any after market exhaust. It's a very fast and responsive truck. The ride is unbelievable Fit and finish is really nice, nice features in the loaded LE version, nav system, dvd video, engine has about the same power as the new F150 (which is saying alot), comparable tow ratings (better than GM 1/2 ton). Cons: it's rice engineered (could be considered a pro), pricey, not the best styling. You could get a lot of heckleing when you're the first to drive it onto a job site. It's far from a "good ol boy" truck.