PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know "Dana" vs "Commander"

$olution$
05-11-2004, 04:43 PM
I'm in the market for a 23' custom to use at lake Mead & Mojave. I've narrowed my choices to Dana's 23 and Commander's 23. I would like any opinions about either of these boats... to be used for cruising, skiing, and wakeboarding. Quality of construction, ride, and customer service are very important to me. I would appreciate any input.
Thanks a lot!!!............$olution$

FRENCHIE
05-11-2004, 05:07 PM
Ya might want to p.m. Thatjeffguy, for some Commander input adn about 1000 others on the boards!:yuk:

BoatFloating
05-11-2004, 06:31 PM
I think you can make your choice based on this. READ HERE (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46423)

Kachina26
05-11-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by $olution$
I'm in the market for a 23' custom to use at lake Mead & Mojave. I've narrowed my choices to Dana's 23 and Commander's 23. I would like any opinions about either of these boats... to be used for cruising, skiing, and wakeboarding. Quality of construction, ride, and customer service are very important to me. I would appreciate any input.
Thanks a lot!!!............$olution$
I question the validity of this post, I think it's the beginnings of a popcorn fest:D However if you are serious you may want to take into account that Commander has filed for BK. READ READ READ, then buy. PM Chump Change or OGshocker about Dana if they don't post.

silver surfer
05-11-2004, 07:09 PM
Hey Wayne,
Don't buy the Commander. Too much shit going on with their company. Buy Howard, Schiada,Hallett. Remember the old fram oil filter commercial,pay now or pay later? Oh yeah, you taught me that..trust the force Luke. Just say no to Commander. And you have even rode in mine.
Greg

cc322
05-11-2004, 08:24 PM
You forgot to mention LAVEY:D

Garrddogg
05-11-2004, 09:08 PM
OH BOY:confused:

RiverToysJas
05-11-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by cc322
You forgot to mention LAVEY:D
I've heard good things about them! :D
RTJas :D

jbtrailerjim
05-12-2004, 10:36 AM
I'm thinking if I was choosing between the two; I'd definitely pick the Dana. I looked at Dana when I was shopping last summer and they build a nice boat. Tom (the owner) seemed like a helluva nice guy too. Took the time to tell me all about there boat's and took me around the shop and showed me some boat's he had in process. After all the stuff that has been written about Commander here lately from unhappy customer's. There's not a chance in hell I'd buy a Commander. Just curious who else did you look at?

$olution$
05-12-2004, 01:08 PM
Thanks for your input. This forum has been very enlightening. As for other boats... I love the Hallett and the Howard in this size range, but having a hard time justifying the price... compared to the Dana. Also, the Dana is built only 15 minutes from my home. I like the convenience and I agree Tom and Bob seem to be great guys with a good story. Do you have any other suggestions based on my criteria posted?

jbtrailerjim
05-12-2004, 01:53 PM
Do you have any other suggestions based on my criteria posted?
Have you checked out Ultra? They have a few diiferent model's in that size range Check out there 23XS, 24 Stealth, & 247XS models. I have the 247XS and love it. You couldn't ask for nicer people than the guy's at Ultra. There are a lot of happy Ultra owner's here on the board's.

CAHotRodBoy
05-12-2004, 03:24 PM
Lots of good deals on used boats. You can save a ton of $$$.

SoCalOffshore
05-12-2004, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by CAHotRodBoy
Lots of good deals on used boats. You can save a ton of $$$.
Indeed, I think you could pick up a used Commander for quite a steal. :D

THATJEFFGUY
05-12-2004, 05:52 PM
Hey $olution$...go with the Dana !! Commander Boats will just take your moeny, but they won't be around long enough to get the boat built !! You don't wanna even consider one of their shitboxes anyway..trust me !! They'd probably give you a helluva deal on a "brand new" boat though...like one of those boats that were <cough> stolen <cough> from their yard last year, and probably re-HIN'd by now ! Do you wanna hear some of my experiences with Commander, or just wait for my book to come out in a few months ??

Mandelon
05-12-2004, 06:50 PM
Between those two, (and you are leaving out some that are worth looking at) I would go with the Dana. You get solid power as a base motor, and a lot of extras that Commander would probably want more $$$ for.
The resale may suffer a bit just because of the lack of knowledge about them, but that will surely change over the next few years as they get bigger and more popular. Their prices will likely rise from the values they are giving now.
From what I've seen and heard Dana is the right choice between them.

twistedpair
05-12-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by SoCalOffshore
Indeed, I think you could pick up a used Commander for quite a steal. :D
And if ya ask real nice, I hear they can even change the hull ID for ya!;)

HighRoller
05-13-2004, 04:19 PM
I'd say even if Commander WANTED to build you a new boat, they're most likely paying cash only on all their parts right now so you're stuff won't get ordered until another 5 schlubs order a boat behind you. Then you're money will be buying parts for somebody else's boat and you can kiss it goodbye.

Hakuna Matata
05-15-2004, 09:41 PM
Have you possibly considered DOMIN8TOR, Dory builds a real real nice 23 foot boat ,nice cats too.....909-931-3268

little rowe boat
05-24-2004, 12:12 PM
Stay away from Commander,some people on the boards have had some probs with them.Go with Dana,a solid boat.

shadow
05-24-2004, 06:26 PM
does Domin8tor have a website?

DryHeatOnly
05-24-2004, 09:36 PM
Thanks for your input. This forum has been very enlightening. As for other boats... I love the Hallett and the Howard in this size range, but having a hard time justifying the price... compared to the Dana. Also, the Dana is built only 15 minutes from my home. I like the convenience and I agree Tom and Bob seem to be great guys with a good story. Do you have any other suggestions based on my criteria posted?
The Dana 23 is a very nice boat.
Since you'll be on the big lakes you may wanna take a look at the Shockwave 25 Tremor. The boat is awesome and the customer service is 1st rate. (Yes, I'm biased and also a very satisfied customer). They're in Corona. It's worth a visit (and test ride).
This model has really taken off in sales since they redid it in 2002.
DHO

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
05-24-2004, 10:13 PM
oooooh boy let me get the popcorn

beer hunter
05-25-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by DryHeatOnly
Since you'll be on the big lakes you may wanna take a look at the Shockwave 25 Tremor. The boat is awesome and the customer service is 1st rate. (Yes, I'm biased and also a very satisfied customer). They're in Corona. It's worth a visit (and test ride).
This model has really taken off in sales since they redid it in 2002.
DHO
I'll second that :D

FOURQ
06-04-2004, 11:57 PM
the Dana 23 was modled after the rare southwind 22 it was redesigned a few years ago to give it more freeboard and it ended up with a lot more room. it is a verry well built boat .. the guy that builds and designed it has been in the industry for many many years and will stand behind his product....just my .02
4Q

PlaneNutz
06-05-2004, 10:20 PM
I'll back up the Shockwave 25' Tremor. Great for lakes, river and heavy chop!

RUCAV
06-06-2004, 11:43 AM
Out of the two, DANA, no question. That many people who hate Commander cant be wrong. Id have to go with JBTrailerJim on checking out Ultra. Good boat at a good price. They have locations in Norco, El Cajon and Huntington Beach. Just check out the Ultra website. Its not going to hurt to check them out.

ChumpChange
06-13-2004, 11:56 AM
As the first actual Dana owner to enter this thread, I must say that the Dana handles great. I have the bigger 27 but the quality that is put into the hull is superior. I went to the glass shop every-other-day to watch the process of the hull and I was at the Dana shop three times a week when the boat was being rigged. Dana is a fantastic boat. The power in the boat as well as the hull design gives Dana a great package.