PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a 2004 Excursion

572Daytona
05-13-2004, 02:19 PM
I was at a dealer today and was looking at trading in my Suburban on a used 2004 Excursion (with 5.4L v8). Any comments on the Excursions? Any known problems? Due to rising gas prices it looks like the dealers are cutting some decent deals on the big cars right now. I've got 151,000miles on my 96 burb so it's getting to be about time for something newer.

summerlove
05-13-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by 572Daytona
I was at a dealer today and was looking at trading in my Suburban on a used 2004 Excursion (with 5.4L v8). Any comments on the Excursions? Any known problems? Due to rising gas prices it looks like the dealers are cutting some decent deals on the big cars right now. I've got 151,000miles on my 96 burb so it's getting to be about time for something newer.
I have a 01 burb with 120K miles. Best car I've ever owned! By far, and I've owned alot!!!
A buddy of mine just bought a new boat and he wa slooking to a Expedition. Test drove it and then drove the Yukon XL.
He's going to buy the Yukon XL.
Better choice. (look at the launch ramp - almost all GM product)
Good luck....

mbrown2
05-13-2004, 02:22 PM
I think the Excursions are good, but I would go with the diesel...better gas milage, towing and power than the diesel.....5.4 is small for that size of vehicle...my .02

572Daytona
05-13-2004, 02:24 PM
Towing power isn't a major consideration. The biggest boat I tow is 21'. I'm mainly interested in a family vehicle for cross country trips. I've been happy with the burb as well it just looks like I can get an 2004 Excursion for about the same price as a 2003 Burb and I'm wondering why.

CustomCruiser
05-13-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by mbrown2
I think the Excursions are good, but I would go with the diesel...better gas milage, towing and power than the diesel.....5.4 is small for that size of vehicle...my .02
I agree. I had the 5.4 in my F150 extra cab (3.55 gears) and wished I had more power for towing.

Moe_Havi
05-13-2004, 02:29 PM
too big of a vehicle for a small block. go with a deisel. or GM big block

572Daytona
05-13-2004, 02:32 PM
I've got a small block in the burb now 5.7L and it is fine. Of the 151,000 on the burb probably only about 1000 have been towing. Other than not enough towing power any other thoughts?

Moe_Havi
05-13-2004, 02:36 PM
I heard they were going to discontinue after this year. Anybody else hear that?

riverbound
05-13-2004, 02:37 PM
If you are looking at buying a new car and want a good deal Contact Photoglou on this board. I just bought an "04 tahoe and he gave me the best price of anyone. the other thing that is nice is there was no haggling we found the truck we wnated and that was it.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/681Picture_358-med.jpg
His number is (323)264-3050 ask for Jay

lurid
05-13-2004, 02:56 PM
I have a 2000 Excursion v-10 4x4. I bought it a couple of years ago with 40k on it. I have not had any major problems. The door lock actuators on the X's and f-250/350 go out over time. not all but some. I had mine replaced under warranty. The brake rotors warp easily.
Go to thedieselstop.com and look up problems with the X's. it is not all diesel stuff on the website. and also go to fordexcursions.com or ford-trucks.com. If you want to lift your truck then you can check out sdhqoffroad.com and look at pics of X's and others.
they are going to make the X through 2006 now

Havasu Hangin'
05-13-2004, 02:56 PM
I would imagine the fact that they aren't going to make the Excursion anymore may have an affect on the retail price.
My 03 Z-71 Sub was all I ever needed in towing up to 7,000 lbs.

Rubths
05-13-2004, 03:00 PM
I just purchase a new 04 excursion limited with the 6.0 Diesel and can tell you it kicks the shit out of our 2000 Excursion with the 7.3 diesel. You will not be dissapionted if you buy one.
Go see Avi at Puente Hills Ford, He sold me ours a $800 under invioce. There was a $1600 hold back that he split with me. No other dealer around would even come close!!!!!
Avi Nemes 626-964-3673

Havasu Hangin'
05-13-2004, 03:03 PM
Yes...drive from Georgia for a Cali truck...

Rubths
05-13-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
Yes...drive from Georgia for a Cali truck...
Ooops just noticed that:D Might still be worth a call!

572Daytona
05-13-2004, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I'm actually looking at used ones so I probably won't be driving to CA to get one. The ones I was looking at today were about 28K (with some room to play, probably can get for around 26K), quite a bit cheaper than new. We went to the Ford dealer because he had an 03 Suburban on his lot but ended up looking at the 04 Excursions because the were the same price and had leather which we wanted.

BoatPI
05-13-2004, 07:16 PM
That 5.4 in an Excursion will not tow a fly! BIG mistake to do.
Diesel is by far the choice, followed by V-10. I figure it weighs about 7,000 pounds UNLADEN! Add the boat, trailer, belongings, and PEOPLE. Forget the V-8.

Moe_Havi
05-13-2004, 08:53 PM
Try leaving Cottonwood Cove at 2:00 pm with the temp at 117 and climbing out to almost 5000 ft. pulling a 7,500 tow with a small block. One eye on the road and one eye on the temp guage. Go deisel or big block, trust me. I tow with a Yukon 4X4, 8.1 with 4.10 rears. No sweat. When you boat where we boat (not 80 degree Wisconsin) you don't want to break down.

C-2
05-13-2004, 09:05 PM
I've always had Chevy's/GMC's, the last a suburban. Was happy with it but got tired of crossing my fingers every time I towed, we smoked our first tranny at 36K.
Got a 2003 V10 4X4 and like it a lot. A lot roomier and boat? What boat? You don't even know it's back there. I towed my bro's 25' Magic deckboat that weighs as much as a tank - same thing, never knew it was there.
Ouch on the gas mileage though, 9.5 per gallon.
And Ford decided to continue the Excursion model due to their popularity.

Jordy
05-13-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by mbrown2
I think the Excursions are good, but I would go with the diesel...
I'd have to agree. With that size of truck, pulling or not, you'll be flogging that 5.4. Got to go with the diesel, even if it is a Ford. Just as long as it's not the 6.0 you'll be alright. :D

Boozer
05-13-2004, 09:22 PM
If you just want it for family road trips then take it for a good long test drive try to find somewhere where you can take it some good sized inclines and see how it does. If you dont intend to tow up any inclines and it does well not in tow then I say if the price is right go for it.

572Daytona
05-13-2004, 10:43 PM
Let me see if I can make this clearer:
1.) I don't live in California or Wisconsin
2.) I don't have any clue where Cottonwood Cove is nor do I have any plans to tow from there.
3.) In a normal year I tow my 21' jet boat, about 3000lbs, less than 1 mile to the boat ramp in the spring and back from the boat ramp in the fall. Total elevation change from my house to the ramp is about 10'. I also tow a jetski. Do you think I should be thinking about getting a 5th wheel hitch? :rolleyes:
4.) My small block suburban works fine for all of my current needs, it's just getting up in miles where I'm not comfortable taking longer trips with it.
5.) This is to be a family vehicle, something the wife and kids can be comfortable riding in on vacations (read no loud stinky diesels)
I did do some more research and found that the Excursion is quite a bit heavier than the Suburban (7700lbs to 5400lbs I think) so I am a bit concerned on the engine size being adequate for highway driving when you get into situations such as headwinds and hills and trying to maintain 75mph. I drove a rented Expedition in Colorado with the 4.6L v8 and I found that to be inadequate in certain situations.
Boozer, I like your suggestion. The dealer offered to let me take it overnight so I think I will take it on a test drive through some of the hillier areas around here and see how it does. I would really like to hear from someone who actually owns or has owned an Ex with the 5.4 to get some first hand information.

Kilrtoy
05-13-2004, 11:09 PM
The 5.4 is a great engine,
but
NOT IN THAT PIG.
Go with a V10. It will suit your needs just fine and is only a $600 bump, get the gears up to a 3:73 and you will have the best of both worlds FOR WHAT YOU NEED.
Regardless if you tow or not
the 5.4 is too small for that truck

Sherpa
05-16-2004, 07:22 AM
a v-10 in that size of a vehicle will only net you around 8mpg
while towing.......
You'll be able to pass everyone..... except the gas stations...
go diesel or nothing...
even though the diesels make a bit more noise at idle, once
inside the truck (or do you ride outside the truck-?) at speed,
there is almost no engine sound at all..........
my 7.3 non-turbo pick up is very quiet at 70mph.......
--Sherpa

572Daytona
05-17-2004, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the replies, I decided to go with the majority and pass on the Excursion. I'm back to looking for a good deal on a Suburban again. I'm still not sold on the diesel though, I drive a lot at nite with the family sleeping and I think it would still be a lot noisier inside the vehicle. I've seen guys that have to shut down the motor just to order at a drive thru. Also my wife uses my car for real estate on occasion, I don't think it would be very client friendly. I could also see her waiting in line with the local rednecks to refuel and having fun with the greasy pumps that seem to go with the territory.

Havasu Hangin'
05-17-2004, 06:28 PM
I decided to go with the majority and pass on the Excursion. I'm back to looking for a good deal on a Suburban again.
Since you're in California...I'll make you a deal on my 2003 Z-71.

572Daytona
05-17-2004, 06:40 PM
Since you're in California...I'll make you a deal on my 2003 Z-71.
Sure, I'll swing by later this evening and check it out. Wait up for me, I should be there soon. I hear that JBB has a good deal on a slightly used S10.

Havasu Hangin'
05-17-2004, 06:48 PM
I hear that JBB has a good deal on a slightly used S10.
You know JBB?
The price just went up...

572Daytona
05-17-2004, 08:00 PM
You know JBB?
The price just went up...
Maybe I can get him to sneak one of those buses out the back door for me. That should have enough room to travel in comfort. I hear the paint jobs on them are crappy though :cool:

Jbb
05-18-2004, 12:56 AM
Spring for the H2......cheapskate...... :D

diggler
05-18-2004, 05:55 AM
I have a 5.4L in my Navigator. It does have some issues with towing through the mountains here in Northern California (can't get it over 60MPH going up a steep grade.)
I think it's underpowered as it is. I couldn't imagine a 5.4L in an Excursion... whew!

rrrr
05-18-2004, 06:05 AM
My $.02:
My 2003 6.0L diesel Ex is the best car I've ever owned. Don't be skeered to get a diesel. The Ex has almost 100 lbs. of sound insulation around the engine. At speeds above 45 MPH or so you can't even tell it's a diesel.
The Ex is a more capable vehicle than a 'burb. But its size backs you into a corner. I owned a 2000 Ex with a V-10. It got around 11.5 MPG and had adequate power for doing anything. I have had a couple of work F-250s with the 5.7L, but they get crappy mileage and are underpowered.
My diesel Ex get 16.5 MPG in town, and around 18-19 MPG on the highway without the boat following me. With the boat I get around 13 MPG. The V-10 Ex only got around 9 MPG when towing.
There were problems with the early 6.0s, but not all of 'em. Mine was off the line in the first month of production. It has had to visit the dealer a few times, but it still runs fine. The 6.0L built after July '03 are fine.
I know this doesn't address your particular situation, 572, but I thought others might be interested in my experience since I have owned both the V-10 and 6.0L.

MagicMtnDan
05-18-2004, 06:09 AM
Thanks for the replies, I decided to go with the majority and pass on the Excursion. I'm back to looking for a good deal on a Suburban again. I'm still not sold on the diesel though, I drive a lot at nite with the family sleeping and I think it would still be a lot noisier inside the vehicle. I've seen guys that have to shut down the motor just to order at a drive thru. Also my wife uses my car for real estate on occasion, I don't think it would be very client friendly. I could also see her waiting in line with the local rednecks to refuel and having fun with the greasy pumps that seem to go with the territory.
Considering you're a redneck who is concerned about the noise of a diesel motor in a drive-through line I'd say you've already made your decision to go with the gas motor.
I have a lifted 2500 Avalanche 4x4 with 4.10 gears and 35" tires and the 8.1 liter (496 cubic inches which is larger than Ford's V10) and it gets under 10MPG exccept when the engine's off. If they offered it with diesel power I would have bought it. But I don't live with rednecks in Georgia or drive my truck in drive-throughs. :D

Garrddogg
05-18-2004, 06:12 AM
CARS DIRECT DOT COM !
Last year I got a loaded sub z 71 for 38 k....(sticker 50k)
dont let the dealer give you a bull$hit invoice price........
do yourself a favor and check out carsdirect..:D

thom
05-18-2004, 06:18 AM
force is right. FORD has different plans Iwas able to talk the dealer into giving me employee price or "A" plan. I got a Fully loaded Lariat f250 diesel for $34k. They in return get a kickback from FORD and then we split the rebates. Tell them to use a lot attendents id number. Not all dealers will so this but some will

572Daytona
05-18-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by JETBOAT BRIAN
Spring for the H2......cheapskate...... :D
I heard you were getting one for you son, maybe it will survive a few of the crashes that way :D

572Daytona
05-18-2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Force 26
CARS DIRECT DOT COM !
Last year I got a loaded sub z 71 for 38 k....(sticker 50k)
dont let the dealer give you a bull$hit invoice price........
do yourself a favor and check out carsdirect..:D
I was checking out carsdirect last nite and here's is what they are showing on a z 71. only a little over 10K off sticker, not 12.
http://home.alltel.net/jthieme/carsdirect.gif
This always happens when I start looking at cars, I start looking at used but end up justifying why it is worth buying new. Actually I'm still hoping to find one used from a private party, in Georgia I won't have to pay sales tax on it.

Garrddogg
05-18-2004, 11:52 AM
I was checking out carsdirect last nite and here's is what they are showing on a z 71. only a little over 10K off sticker, not 12.
http://home.alltel.net/jthieme/carsdirect.gif
This always happens when I start looking at cars, I start looking at used but end up justifying why it is worth buying new. Actually I'm still hoping to find one used from a private party, in Georgia I won't have to pay sales tax on it.
Mine was also at the end of the year its an awsome 4x4 too..

Dr. Eagle
05-18-2004, 12:49 PM
I've got a small block in the burb now 5.7L and it is fine. Of the 151,000 on the burb probably only about 1000 have been towing. Other than not enough towing power any other thoughts?
Yeah, but the excursion is a whole lot heavier than the Burb. I'd consider that 5.4L pretty underpowered for what is basically a 3/4 ton truck.
:D

jbtrailerjim
05-18-2004, 02:50 PM
I test drove a used Excursion a few months ago with a 5.4 in it when I was shopping for vehicle for my wife. I thought it was underpowered without towing anything. I can't imagine what it would be like towing a boat. Now the V-10 kicks ass. I have driven one with it and it had plenty of power. My dad has a 03 F-250 crew cab with a V-10 and he loves it. He tow's his 26' Sleekcraft with it and you can hardly feel it back there.

Jbb
05-18-2004, 04:44 PM
I heard you were getting one for you son, maybe it will survive a few of the crashes that way :D
Think Im gonna get him a Front End Loader this time...:confused:

Debbolas
05-18-2004, 05:24 PM
oooo big cars...............;)