PDA

View Full Version : You Are So Buggin Me !!!

ACCEPTENCE
05-13-2004, 07:42 PM
Aint this a bitch... found this dude just cruisin around the river house.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/1415Big_Ass_Bug.jpg
I believe this dude has an attitude problem.
He's kinda small as compared to some we have found.
Snake load in a 9mm seems to finish them off real good!!!
Oh yeah, just across the Needles bridge in Mohave Valley.

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-13-2004, 07:43 PM
wow.. did you see it at night.. :eek: ;)

Kindsvater Flat
05-13-2004, 07:44 PM
Thanks for you telling me about those when I stayed with you!!

ACCEPTENCE
05-13-2004, 07:45 PM
Just after sundown...
Ya don't wanna be sittin on the ground in the desert this time of year!!!:eek:

Debbolas
05-13-2004, 07:45 PM
ok,
When I was little, and we camped a lot with my folks. My dad told me that any scorpion you find on the California side, was Not Poisonous. Any scorpion found on the AZ side WAS poisonous........(I attribute this to a 9 year old little girl ((me))asking too many questions)
:D

welk2party
05-13-2004, 07:46 PM
Crikey! that is a desert scorpion.

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-13-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by ACCEPTENCE
Just after sundown...
Ya don't wanna be sittin on the ground in the desert this time of year!!!:eek:
so that is when they come out.. I'm sorry for the questions but I have little ones that like to play basket ball at night in Havasu.. so I'm assuming not any more.. ;) :eek: :eek:

Kilrtoy
05-13-2004, 07:47 PM
That could hurt

ACCEPTENCE
05-13-2004, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Kindsvater Flat
Thanks for you telling me about those when I stayed with you!!
Ur a farm boy, I figured you'd know about these kinds of things, besides you weren't sittin on the ground. Well if you were, I never saw ya.:D :D :D
HEY MIKE, WE GOT THESE!!!!!

ACCEPTENCE
05-13-2004, 07:51 PM
These guys are very nocturnal and they cruise around in the evening to dusk.
Big ass little guys they are!!!!
Yeah Kilr, they sting, hurt and burn like a S.O.B.:mad: !!!

Kindsvater Flat
Chief.........All we have are 10 gazillion mosquitos. C'mon!

Debbolas
but don't they crawl under rocks and sleeping bags mostly?

hboldno7
05-13-2004, 07:52 PM
DAMN, Thats a big one

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-13-2004, 07:53 PM
i've never seen one is that as big as they get.. what is the normal size.. ;) sorry.. i am just dumb at this stuff.. ;)

ACCEPTENCE
05-13-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Debbolas
but don't they crawl under rocks and sleeping bags mostly?
You kinda got it right...
Out from under rocks and into sleeping bags;)

Debbolas
05-13-2004, 07:56 PM
and the poison part?

ACCEPTENCE
05-13-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by MRS FLYIN VEE
i've never seen one is that as big as they get.. what is the normal size.. ;) sorry.. i am just dumb at this stuff.. ;)
Not dumb, just curious.
Not nearly as big as they get. This one is a medium size.
The desert is a big place and they grow to size fitting the place they live in :eek: !!!

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-13-2004, 08:00 PM
:eek: :eek: no more basket ball at night for the kiddies then.. ;) :D .. thank you so much for the info..
so I take it since these are out the snakes are out too.. :eek:

Debbolas
05-13-2004, 08:04 PM
yeah, but snakes stay in the grass, rocky areas.
If you give them an out, they will take it. If your kids are playing in a well lighted court, they are ok. If the ball goes in the bushes,I would think twice about that.
In spring, the snakes are cold and want to go somewhere warm, like a concrete, asphalt highway....
;)

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-13-2004, 08:08 PM
thank you.. I have no bushes by the house but Not a real bright light.. so no basket ball at night.. :frown: ;)

ACCEPTENCE
05-13-2004, 08:10 PM
A little closer view...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/1415Big_Ass_Bug_2.jpg
Tricky little guys and no, you don't wanna mess with them:frown: .

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-13-2004, 08:12 PM
I've heard that some glow in the dark. but do you need a special light on them.
those things are scary looking.. is that one poisoness.. if so how can you tell which is which..;)

Scream
05-13-2004, 08:16 PM
They're all poisonous deary. They can be seen at night with the use of a black light (uv). They glow like a nuclear power worker...
They hunt at night and sleep during the day. They like bugs, creepy crawleys, other scorpions, long walks on the beach and soft music.
Can you guess what sign they're under??? I'll give 2 guesses and the first one doesn't count.

Kindsvater Flat
05-13-2004, 08:18 PM
Nice date on the camara Chief! :D

ACCEPTENCE
05-13-2004, 08:19 PM
I've heard that some glow in the dark. but do you need a special light on them.
those things are scary looking.. is that one poisoness.. if so how can you tell which is which..;)
Not be knowin about the black lite thing but this dude was out for the world to see in the early morning.
Again, not be knowin which are poisonous.
Best to stay clear of all of em.
Oh yeah...we got snakes over there too!!!
Black and white ringed ones and the famous Western Diamond Backs!!! Good eatin they are!!!

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-13-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Scream
They're all poisonous deary. They can be seen at night with the use of a black light (uv). They glow like a nuclear power worker...
They hunt at night and sleep during the day. They like bugs, creepy crawleys, other scorpions, long walks on the beach and soft music.
Can you guess what sign they're under??? I'll give 2 guesses and the first one doesn't count.
LMAO!! the stupid sign.. LOL!! here's my sign that says I'm stupid.. LOL!! :D
thanks for the info.. I know nothing about them.. so if your stung .. (Note to self) emergency room asap.. :D

ACCEPTENCE
05-13-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Kindsvater Flat
Nice date on the camara Chief! :D
This digital world is not for me, I got my first digital camera last Christmass...who knows???
I just push the button Mike:D :D :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-13-2004, 08:32 PM
as long as it works.. :D ;)

Boozer
05-13-2004, 08:33 PM
You shouldn't prohibit your kids from playing basketball at night due to a fear of scorpions.
Growing up I spent the majority of my life in Chino, however, there was a 6 year period that we lived in Hesperia. Our house opened up to a HUGE field. in the 6 years we lived there we found a total of 2 scorpions in the house. NEVER had a snake come up to the house, although while playing out in the big field behind the house we would come across mojave greens and other rattlers from time to time.
I don't know how much different the Havasu dessert is then the high dessert but I think its the same thing pretty much and the wildlife isn't something to be to overly concerned with. Especially not concerned to the point that the kids can't play basketball at night. Make the kids aware of what's out there but don't lock them up after dark because of it.

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-13-2004, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Boozer
You shouldn't prohibit your kids from playing basketball at night due to a fear of scorpions.
Growing up I spent the majority of my life in Chino, however, there was a 6 year period that we lived in Hesperia. Our house opened up to a HUGE field. in the 6 years we lived there we found a total of 2 scorpions in the house. NEVER had a snake come up to the house, although while playing out in the big field behind the house we would come across mojave greens and other rattlers from time to time.
I don't know how much different the Havasu dessert is then the high dessert but I think its the same thing pretty much and the wildlife isn't something to be to overly concerned with. Especially not concerned to the point that the kids can't play basketball at night. Make the kids aware of what's out there but don't lock them up after dark because of it.
your right.. so I should just get more lights put in so they are lite up more while they play.. because sometimes at night we just look at the shooting stars too.. ;)

Boozer
05-13-2004, 08:41 PM
your right.. so I should just get more lights put in so they are lite up more while they play.. because sometimes at night we just look at the shooting stars too.. ;)
We had one of those big ugly halogens mounted on our garage that worked VERY VERY well. However, it looked like shit. Put out some nice lookin lights and you're all set.

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-13-2004, 08:41 PM
cool.. I think i'll do that then.. I just want them to be able to see them before it is too late.. ;)

ACCEPTENCE
05-13-2004, 09:20 PM
cool.. I think i'll do that then.. I just want them to be able to see them before it is too late.. ;)
Yeah what Boozer said...
It's not like they are in numbers as the ants are but you do need to be aware of them.
Good lighting should take care of it.

Jordy
05-13-2004, 09:39 PM
As was pointed out, they light up like a Christmas tree under a black light. They make the bulbs for the hand held flourescent lights. Spend a couple bucks and see what you find. It will probably scare the shiznit out of you as there will be quite a few of them that were formerly well camoflauged that are sticking out glowing in the dark. :D

Ziggy
05-13-2004, 09:43 PM
Seems to me Boatcop posted on someones elses scorpion find that the brown scorpions found in the region are not poisonous, "as in deadly", as so many think...but they hurt like a mother. :eek:
My memory may not be 100% clear at this moment but it was something like that:D

MagicMtnDan
05-13-2004, 09:55 PM
Some parts of the world they sell those as baby lobsters :D ("crawdads" for those of you in the south). A bit undersized but they taste like chicken :D
Crawdad...
http://www.tmm.utexas.edu/tnhc/fish/research/cc/pub/earthwatch1999/photos/crawdad.jpg

Hotcrusader76
05-13-2004, 10:06 PM
Ya know I stepped on one of those babies in Texas one late night...stung me right between my toes...in that little soft spot...
had to have been the worst sting I've experienced...minus a cattle prod.:D

bigkatboat
05-13-2004, 10:21 PM
Spray your yard! Get some really toxic stuff and 'let 'er rip', I do mine each month, and I have been lucky so far. Speaking of glowing, my Hudson sprayer glows in the dark now!