PDA

View Full Version : Dear Hot Boat Magazine

Essex502
05-14-2004, 11:09 AM
Dear Sir or Madam,
It may only be me but it seems lately that new issues of your magazine are starting to "forget" to list the price of boats you review. I don't mean the private owner's boats but the ones supplied by the builders. This latest issue on the boats you tested in Miami include a few "fishing boats" that are not traditionally catagorized as "hot boats" but oh well...they may be to the fishing crowd. But in that review "set" several of the boats only had a "base price" not an "as tested" price. The base price is somewhat meaningless if the base price's configuration is not the configuration you are testing...i.e. comes standard with a 6.2 Mercruiser and you tested a 575SCI powered version. Also, several boats had no pricing information at all. I believe I am seeing this more often from you and I think the pricing is a great service to your loyal readers who use this information to judge the relative merits of the boats reviewed against each other. You do us a disservice by overtly eliminating the pricing. While I know that the prices may be 3 months out of date by the time the magazine is printed and dellivered but everything is relative, right?
Please, in the future, put pricing of every "boat test" that you do of a builder supplied boat. Private individuals who you contact directly as a feature don't need this but the builder supplied craft do.

GlastronGuy
05-14-2004, 11:14 AM
Hot Boat has a magazine?

HighRoller
05-14-2004, 11:22 AM
It's no secret why they don't put prices in. Can you say "Sticker Shock"?

Kilrtoy
05-14-2004, 12:46 PM
Because they cost way too damn much to begin with,
kinda like gas right now

1stepcloser
05-14-2004, 12:56 PM
Maybe they figure that we, as a collective group, live by the old adage, "if you have to ask, you probably cant afford it.":rolleyes:
Bigger, Better, Faster, Stronger. It's the american way.

TrojanDan
05-14-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by GlastronGuy
Hot Boat has a magazine?
No shit! The Fockers stopped sending me mine at the beginning of the year. :mad: I did get there 1980's t-shirt though. :rolleyes:

HighRoller
05-14-2004, 01:51 PM
They were doing so well for a while and now they're back to garbage again. Who in their readership is going to buy a fishing boat with 5 outboards on it? The whole miami Boat Show thing is a joke, probably done just so they can suck up to the boat companies and get to drive some expensive boats. Yeah, there's a lot of readers who can shell out 600K for a new nor-Tech. And how can we make an informed decision about which cat to buy when they all come with different engine packages. Why don't they get the ten cats they want and specify each is to come rigged with an HP525. That way we can REALLY see whose boat is fastest and best handling etc...Unfortunately the boat companies would never go for that because they couldn't hide behind a big blower anymore.

CA Stu
05-14-2004, 02:12 PM
Sorry bro, I disagree about the Miami Boat Show. I liked the center consoles!
As far as listing the price "as tested", I reckon nothing's set in stone at that level, is it.
There are probably quite a load of variables in there, and I can understand why a manufacturer may not want to include an "as tested" price. It would be like comparing apples to oranges, and they could scare off some customers.
I'd like to think if someone was going to spend that amount of money on a performance boat, they'd do their homework, and price wouldn't be the ultimate deciding factor in a purchase...
I have enjoyed deep sea fishing for a long time, and if/when I get my hands on a Fountain, I'd enjoy it 60 miles off San Diego as much as at the lake.
They're fast!
And cool!
Of course, what do I know?
Thanks
CA Stu <-- Hot Boat Subscriber

goneboatin
05-14-2004, 03:30 PM
Fishing boats are gay!
Especially in HOT BOAT Magazine.

Ivan Dan
05-14-2004, 03:33 PM
I kept thinking when I read the latest issue that this is turning into FISHING BOAT MAGAZINE instead of HOT BOAT MAGAZINE.

CA Stu
05-14-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by goneboatin
Fishing boats are gay!
I know you are but what am I?
Thanks
CA Stu

summerlove
05-14-2004, 03:36 PM
I noticed it as well. I was wondering how much that nice new Cigarette was - but no pricing! I thought it odd but figured it had to do with the manu not getting the exact pricing to HB prior to publication...I think High Roller is finally right on an issue;) , it must be sticker shock!

1stepcloser
05-14-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by CA Stu
Thanks
CA Stu
LOL!:D

MagicMtnDan
05-14-2004, 03:55 PM
My take on it is that the "Hot Boat" crowd is not confined to the West Coast which is why they cover Poker Runs across the US and other shows including the Miami Show.
I personally like the Carrera (not related to the West Coast Carrera) center console boat - that thing looks like a nice one for full-time salt water and inland waterway use.

Dr. Eagle
05-14-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by GlastronGuy
Hot Boat has a magazine?
Don't you ask that every time this subject comes up?????????:D

Debbolas
05-14-2004, 05:40 PM
Dear Hot Boat Magazine,
If it isn't too much trouble, could you have some "hunks" in your boats next time. Not that the gentlemen driving your boats are nice looking, but I can't help but notice how pretty all the girls in the boats are, and it would be nice to have some "hunky" men.
Also a pet's page would be nice. And a boat name page.
Just my 02 cents...
Thanks!;)

DaveA
05-14-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Debbolas
Dear Hot Boat Magazine,
If it isn't too much trouble, could you have some "hunks" in your boats next time. Not that the gentlemen driving your boats are nice looking, but I can't help but notice how pretty all the girls in the boats are, and it would be nice to have some "hunky" men.
Just my 02 cents...
Thanks!;)
Remember who the Publisher is. ;)
Wilkes must be too hot for the magazine. You never see him (or his column). Guess the sexual harassment from the swimsuit models is too much for his ticker....:D

Debbolas
05-14-2004, 06:52 PM
Hey, I can dream!;)

Dr. Eagle
05-14-2004, 07:51 PM
Dear Hot Boat Magazine,
Just my 02 cents...
Thanks!;)
Thats because the guys driving are "techincial experts" and the women are "models". Maybe we need to send the models to Whatsamata U to learn the technical stuff and then they can hire your "Hunks" for window dressing.....:D

Debbolas
05-14-2004, 08:10 PM
Please,
are you saying, that there are'nt any cute chicks that could drive the boats, while the hunks posed in the bow?
(all oily.....)
he he;)

Dr. Eagle
05-14-2004, 08:13 PM
Please,
are you saying, that there are'nt any cute chicks that could drive the boats, while the hunks posed in the bow?
(all oily.....)
he he;)
Drive, no I know there are plenty of hotties that can drive, put the boat through the technical test regimen, timed runs, to generate all those stupid numbers that mean nothing to lots of people... I don't know about that.

Debbolas
05-14-2004, 08:15 PM
oh, so the guys in the boats actually do all the testing on the boats? I didn't know that....
that does put a damper on my idea of a good issue..........

Dr. Eagle
05-14-2004, 08:32 PM
oh, so the guys in the boats actually do all the testing on the boats? I didn't know that....
that does put a damper on my idea of a good issue..........
Doesn't mean they have to take the pics with THOSE guys....
Food for thought....

Debbolas
05-14-2004, 08:34 PM
Well,if they do all the work, I can see how they would want to have their photo in the issue...............
BTW
Have you seen Charlies Angels?
Demi Moore is way too good looking for her age,
I am jelous!!;)

Dr. Eagle
05-14-2004, 08:38 PM
Well,if they do all the work, I can see how they would want to have their photo in the issue...............
BTW
Have you seen Charlies Angels?
Demi Moore is way too good looking for her age,
I am jelous!!;)
Yes Demi is delicious......

Debbolas
05-14-2004, 08:40 PM
She looks awesome for her age..............;)

Dr. Eagle
05-14-2004, 08:42 PM
She looks awesome for her age..............;)
She looks awesome for just about any age..... nice handlebars adn attribooties.....

Debbolas
05-14-2004, 08:55 PM
no really, she is like my age, and she looks great!

bigkatboat
05-14-2004, 09:03 PM
Highroller, your idea was brought out in the late 1980's, Mfg's were "building motors" and then painting them black. 22' open bows were running 67 MPH (stock???) with a 350/300 HP. The idea of using ONE STOCK MOTOR, has been rejected many times. A "level playing field" will not happen, in any print form. Dave A; Wilkes is out because the questions are getting too difficult for him to answer, he could not get an old 'Hondo flat' to stop bouncing, so what do you expect. He said in his column, that he never got his boat to 'take a set'. Debolas (look at your avitar) you are the reason all of us guys go to the "RIVER". You are correct, women do have a 'say' in the boat purchase, and women do purchase THEIR OWN BOATS! Performance boats have been "one way", or should I say "closed minded" for too long. Look at all of the boats that have no way to get out of the water and into the boat, the boat has #6 drives, and 2000HP, but NO G D way to get into it and use it as a PLEASURE BOAT! Many guys think that these "Hot Boats" are "Race Boats", but it is just a 'wanna be' deal, and so friends and family must suffer the problems of owning a 'race boat'. See below....

Debbolas
05-14-2004, 09:11 PM
When we bought our first boat, I went around to all the dealers to ask questions about the boats....I wasn't working so I had more time than my husband.
Do you know that only two boat dealers even gave me the time of day? Everyone else said "come back with your husband, sweetie"
Guess who we bought our boat from? One of the two dealers that actually answered my questions. I was dismayed to discover that boats don't have "sticker prices" displayed like cars do. So depending on who you are, and what you drive, they could just throw out any price.
I go to the river to drive my boat fast, have fun with my friends and family, and relax. I understand there is the "poon-tang" factor involved in some boat purchases (just like cars) but the real boat lovers buy boats because they love them, not to get chicks (or am I horrible niaeve, hell I can't spell that word)
I don't know, I just feel so at home at the river, don't know why.....
So can we have some cute guys in the boats next time?
:D

bigkatboat
05-14-2004, 09:23 PM
Thanks for hanging in... I feel you can have 'scarry fast performance' and not suffer the loss of 'pleasure'. I'm working on designs that have, performance and comfort, why suffer when you are paying so much money? I see 'raceboats' with carpeting called "family cats". The pilot (big belly dad) cann't even get in and out over the transom, while in the water. He never thought about it when he 'signed up' for HIS 110 MPH 'family cat'. He NEEDS SPEED, and that is good, but he (and everyone else) could use a more practical set up. Single guys listen up! "Chicks dig speed!" just like you do, however they also need SOME COMFORT! Back in the 1970's the ladies 'loved' to watch me drag race boats, but they ENJOYED the covered engine, quiet boat while 'partying'. I might be more in love with the women, than the boats! I have no excuses, I guess it's true.

jetdrive
05-14-2004, 10:46 PM
I cancelled my subscription quite awhile ago for two distinct reasons:
1) It seemed as though all they were covering were 25 foot plus boats (like there was no market for under 25 with reasonalbe prices), by the way, they used to do this alot and that's when reading HB was fun...
2) As a journalist (if you can call them that), they never seem to find any flaws in any boats! It is all praise no matter the build quality, reliability, etc. It is preety sad if the manufacturers tell them not to say anything bad, or they won't let them test drive their boats (not sure if this is the case, but if so, it is pretty sad).
Too bad, I really used to look forward to getting my HB every month...

Boozer
05-15-2004, 02:01 AM
Dear ***boat,
You list a lot of boats I can't afford but I drool over. However even though I can't afford most of the boats you list and don't list the prices of the boats even though I can't afford them I am going to cancel my subscription. Sorry but even though I can't afford these boats I still want to know just how much I CAN'T afford.
Thank you,
X subscriber
P.S.
I know that it is ***boat subscriptions that pay for these boards and I spend a lot of time on these boards but you cant have my $25 a year. I figure this board COSTS me $15,000 annualy in time I could have spent being productive so the legal papers will be in your office soon.
Sincerely,
Johnny Cochran

Essex502
05-17-2004, 09:33 AM
I guess Hot Boat doesn't have as "well healed" an audience as Powerboat 'cause PB doens't seem to be afraid to post $1,000,000 as tested price tags! :D

Danhercules
05-17-2004, 11:51 AM
Look at all the car mags that do testing and runs. They have base prices AND price as tested.
I dont get ***boat, but I do read when I get my hands on it.
Hot Boat, if a fishing boat is a hot rod, or a performace boat, sure, it belongs in Hot Boat.
I carry a small pole in my jet, dose that mean its not a hot boat any more?

Danhercules
05-17-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by CA Stu
Thanks
CA Stu
I'm rubber, your glue, what ever you say, bounces off me and sticks on you!:p

bigkatboat
05-17-2004, 05:29 PM
I feel a "HOT BOAT" can be most any kind of hull/ power combination, it just must run 'better than most boats' (of it's kind). You can't tell me a 90MPH Bass Boat isn't HOT! I don't like them, but that doesn't change the facts. Tempest Marine (Florida) builds a 50' twin, that has two bedrooms and a nice bath, it runs 50+ MPH, to me it is an extreem HOT BOAT. It's a F^%$ing condo with Rolla props. I won't buy one, but it's nice info. I feel the focus of the magazine is off, I suggested (over 10 years ago) to make it more like "Hot Rod" magazine. More 'real world' tech, and a spread if prices, interests, and levels of "depth" in all articles. I'm sorry to say it hasn't changed. Today, people purchase 'the most boat they can', seeing boats of lesser cost and of more cost, I don't think is the point. The point should be, "this boat is in this magazine because it has some great ideas to share with you" , $5.00 boat, or $500,000.00 boat!

boxscore
05-17-2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by jetdrive
I cancelled my subscription quite awhile ago for two distinct reasons:
1) It seemed as though all they were covering were 25 foot plus boats (like there was no market for under 25 with reasonalbe prices), by the way, they used to do this alot and that's when reading HB was fun...
2) As a journalist (if you can call them that), they never seem to find any flaws in any boats! It is all praise no matter the build quality, reliability, etc. It is preety sad if the manufacturers tell them not to say anything bad, or they won't let them test drive their boats (not sure if this is the case, but if so, it is pretty sad).
Too bad, I really used to look forward to getting my HB every month...
You're spot on with point #2. With objective testing and reports, it would only help with the build quality of some of these manufacturer's. i.e. Comman...... ah never mind

NashvilleBound
05-17-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Boozer
Dear ***boat,
You list a lot of boats I can't afford but I drool over. However even though I can't afford most of the boats you list and don't list the prices of the boats even though I can't afford them I am going to cancel my subscription. Sorry but even though I can't afford these boats I still want to know just how much I CAN'T afford.
Thank you,
X subscriber
P.S.
I know that it is ***boat subscriptions that pay for these boards and I spend a lot of time on these boards but you cant have my $25 a year. I figure this board COSTS me $15,000 annualy in time I could have spent being productive so the legal papers will be in your office soon.
Sincerely,
Johnny Cochran
Funny shitt!!!
I was on hold for 20 mnutes today before hanging up just trying to change my mail address to tN...REdickulass!!!!:yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

Essex502
05-18-2004, 05:42 AM
The new issue of Powerboat magazine lists an "as tested price" for every boat in its tests. The "feature" boats of private owners they do not. There latest "boats of the year" issue lists the as tested prices up to $1,300,000 Skater.
Why not YOU Hot Boat?

MagicMtnDan
05-18-2004, 06:35 AM
Here are two reasons why we like Hot Boat magazine: :cool:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/2kendra_01.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/2kendra_04.jpg

Essex502
05-18-2004, 06:38 AM
You can get all of those pics you want from the Internet without boats getting in the way! :D For free too.

dicudmore
05-18-2004, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by MagicMtnDan
Here are two reasons why we like Hot Boat magazine: :cool:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/2kendra_01.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/2kendra_04.jpg
we love HOT BOAT