PDA

View Full Version : Lake Mohave DUI checkpoint today

hd&boatrider
05-15-2004, 06:10 PM
They pulled every boat and jet ski over coming into Katherines. We came in before they started it but they had a minimum of 25 and maybe upwards of 50 people checking. Becareful out there peeps. The crew we were next to in Gasoline Ally got a ticket for not having a throw out.
Anyhow......expect mopre of the same before summer gets here totally.

Debbolas
05-15-2004, 06:10 PM
what is a throw out?

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-15-2004, 06:11 PM
thanks for the heads up.. ;)

Kachina26
05-15-2004, 06:49 PM
That square pillow thinggy that Kachina gave you is your throwable. And don't take out that bucket he gave you, it's for bailing. Don't know if that's required, but it might come in handy, hope not.

Mandelon
05-15-2004, 07:47 PM
You are required to have a Type IV Throwable flotation device.

Dr. Eagle
05-15-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Mandelon
You are required to have a Type IV Throwable flotation device. thats the square pillow thingee with the straps...;)

Moneypitt
05-15-2004, 08:17 PM
Did their efforts result in any arrests? Although I don't agree with the .08 law, and the tactics they use to enforce it, I do feel that actually impared people have no business driving anything, boats/PWC included......

Kilrtoy
05-15-2004, 08:19 PM
Although I don't agree with the .08 law
Actually at that limit you are impaired. I might get there after 3 drinks, as where another person it may take 6 drinks, everyone is different

77charger
05-15-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
Although I don't agree with the .08 law
Actually at that limit you are impaired. I might get there after 3 drinks, as where another person it may take 6 drinks, everyone is different true on that but .08 you are legally impaired no matter what.But at .051 or .06(check with boatcop on the number)It is up to the officer if you are impaired so that could land you in the overnight hotel.Otherwords dont want to argue over anything so occifer dont take you away.:D

Moneypitt
05-15-2004, 09:07 PM
The law says at .08 you are just that .08, period. It doesn't say you or I or anyone else is imparied, you don't have to be imparied, just .08 or more. As far as how many drinks it takes, for the average person, 2, 3 max, in an hour and you,me, and anyone else will be .08, or more.... Imparement is not required, just .08. The lack of required Imparement, makes .08 a tool to arrest anyone leaving a bar, sandbar, campground etc. in a vehicle/vessel of any type. Really makes criminals out of the social drinkers that may stop off on Friday for a drink or 2 with co workers. Drivers with .08 B.A.C. are no more responsible for highway carnage than the sober people that kill people on our highways/waterways......Granted, some non drinker types COULD in fact be imparied at .08, but to group all of mankind under this stereotypical umbrella isn't right...Sure something "Could" happen, but just because your neighbor used his gun to kill his whole family, should you be arrested for gun ownership. Hey, it COULD happen, it did once, twice or however many times, so lets stereotype all the gun ownwers into the same mindset, and arrest them for what could happen. The same can be said for drivers with the .08 BAC being arrested, un impared, with the .08 law.......for what might happen...........Don't get me wrong here, if 1 person is hurt or killed by an impared driver, that is 1 too many. But what about the sober people that kill people, what could possibly be their excuse................Moneypitt

Sleek-Jet
05-15-2004, 09:17 PM
I'm just waiting to see where this "drowsy" driving stuff is going to end up. Some state are allready looking at passing laws similiar to DWI/DUI for driving while sleepy.
Can you imagine the road blocks for that.
"Sir, when was the last time you slept?"
:mad:

Kilrtoy
05-15-2004, 09:23 PM
"Sir, when was the last time you slept?"
That is already a dui question

Kilrtoy
05-15-2004, 09:24 PM
http://texasdwi.org/jacqui.html
ask her what she thinks about a driver who has a couple of beers

Garrddogg
05-15-2004, 09:35 PM
Only seven years and $ 20,000 thats PHUCKED UP! :mad:

Forkin' Crazy
05-15-2004, 09:36 PM
damn..............:(

Moneypitt
05-15-2004, 09:41 PM
They also ask about the last time you ate. The breath test is suppose to test the BAC of your lungs, but they won't allow you to rinse out your mouth prior to testing, why? Because the residule alcohol in your mouth will make sure you fail the test. If you belch, throw up, sneeze within 15 minutes of testing, the results are invalid....but they don't care.....Its more about the almighty buck than highway safety.......As far as the link, how about one to a gunshot victims family.....Stereotyping is wrong. To make arrests and ruin peoples lives because of what could happen is like thought crimes. Arresting you for what your thinking, because of what could happen........How about pitbull owners, you know, because of what could happen......Its pure BS, even the people that developed the BAC test said it was bad science, and that was when the limit was .15....... Boatcop, can you jump in here with the real poop about .08? In Ca. .08 does not mean impared, doesn't matter, just .08......Moneypitt

Cheap Thrills
05-15-2004, 10:37 PM
if you carry a CDL (commercial drivers licenses) the nationwide limit is .04 :eek:
C.T. :wink:

Kilrtoy
05-15-2004, 10:54 PM
The breath test is suppose to test the BAC of your lungs, but they won't allow you to rinse out your mouth prior to testing, why? Because the residule alcohol in your mouth will make sure you fail the test.
That is bullshit and you know it.
Also it's the bac, blood alcohol content. Not your lungs. The deep lung tissue is where the blood is carried to be recirculated, hence that is how they are able to calculate the bac in ML

twistedpair
05-15-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Cheap Thrills
if you carry a CDL (commercial drivers licenses) the nationwide limit is .04 :eek:
C.T. :wink:
Hmmmmmm... I'm screwed! i think my ambient BAC is higher than that!

Flying Tiger
05-15-2004, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Debbolas
what is a throw out?
Throwable, floatation cushion.
I believe they have to be Coast Guard approved.
Available at Wall Mart, $6.99.

Forkin' Crazy
05-15-2004, 11:10 PM
I guess we are lucky... It is random here. If you are on a party barge or a fast looking (loud) boat you are toast if you are drinking. I got checked today, not for alcohol (wasn't drinking), but the numbers on my boat. If you are in a bass boat you will hardly ever get checked unless you are fukkin up bad.
I feel sorry for the girl. One of my friends died about 3 weeks ago. He was drunk but had a DD. The other guy was drunk and ran them off the road.
Drunk and driving = bad.:frown:

Bow Tie Omega
05-15-2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Moneypitt
The law says at .08 you are just that .08, period. It doesn't say you or I or anyone else is imparied, you don't have to be imparied, just .08 or more. As far as how many drinks it takes, for the average person, 2, 3 max, in an hour and you,me, and anyone else will be .08, or more.... Imparement is not required, just .08. The lack of required Imparement, makes .08 a tool to arrest anyone leaving a bar, sandbar, campground etc. in a vehicle/vessel of any type. Really makes criminals out of the social drinkers that may stop off on Friday for a drink or 2 with co workers. Drivers with .08 B.A.C. are no more responsible for highway carnage than the sober people that kill people on our highways/waterways......Granted, some non drinker types COULD in fact be imparied at .08, but to group all of mankind under this stereotypical umbrella isn't right...Sure something "Could" happen, but just because your neighbor used his gun to kill his whole family, should you be arrested for gun ownership. Hey, it COULD happen, it did once, twice or however many times, so lets stereotype all the gun ownwers into the same mindset, and arrest them for what could happen. The same can be said for drivers with the .08 BAC being arrested, un impared, with the .08 law.......for what might happen...........Don't get me wrong here, if 1 person is hurt or killed by an impared driver, that is 1 too many. But what about the sober people that kill people, what could possibly be their excuse................Moneypitt
Also vise-versa. If you are impaired and are less then a .08 blood alcohol level, you can still be detained over night. If you are involved in an accident, you can still be charged with DUI and if you are under 21, it is a DUI.

Moneypitt
05-16-2004, 07:36 AM
What part of rinsing out your mouth prior to a blow test is BS? The part that they won't let you, or the part about it affecting the test?..........I'm not pro-driving after drinking, quite the contrary, I'm only stating the BS way these "bad science" laws are considered flawless, and subject to LE's fishing for arrests....Moneypitt

Debbolas
05-16-2004, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Flying Tiger
Throwable, floatation cushion.
I believe they have to be Coast Guard approved.
Available at Wall Mart, $6.99.
cool, thanks, I think we have on, will go check for sure!:D

RiverToysJas
05-16-2004, 08:15 AM
This seems to be an annual event out there, that's all. Remember this.... (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30539)
RTJas ;)

twistedpair
05-16-2004, 08:25 AM
What part of rinsing out your mouth prior to a blow test is BS? The part that they won't let you, or the part about it affecting the test?..........I'm not pro-driving after drinking, quite the contrary, I'm only stating the BS way these "bad science" laws are considered flawless, and subject to LE's fishing for arrests....Moneypitt
They normally detain you long enough for any 'residual alcohol' to dissipate before administering the test. That eliminates false positives from the guy that 'just took a drink'. Of course, it also lets that last drink get into your system if you just had one, and you may now be 'impaired'. Whereas if they had tested you immediately, you may not have been.
Best way to avoid a BUI, Designated Driver.

ROZ
05-16-2004, 08:32 AM
The breath test is suppose to test the BAC of your lungs, but they won't allow you to rinse out your mouth prior to testing, why? Because the residule alcohol in your mouth will make sure you fail the test.
That is bullshit and you know it.
Also it's the bac, blood alcohol content. Not your lungs. The deep lung tissue is where the blood is carried to be recirculated, hence that is how they are able to calculate the bac in ML
You're right mr braniac :D
Intake
stomach where a percentage is absorbed into the blood cells
the alcohol hops on the little red bus and makes the journey around the body (especailly the brain to increase or mimick neorotransmitter activity causing our euphorea) dropping off nutrients, including o2, to the cells tissue that need it.
Waste is taken through the proper organs to be filtered away. Since bloodcells get oxygen replenishment, what filtering does take place from the lungs is exhausted. The exhaust or exhaled breath which is mostly comprised of oxygen and carbon dioxide, will contain a small percentage of alcohol that the liver hasn't had a chance to completely process. That percentage is what the auhorities have based their legal line in the sand..
Atleast that's the way I understand it :D

ROZ
05-16-2004, 08:35 AM
What part of rinsing out your mouth prior to a blow test is BS? The part that they won't let you, or the part about it affecting the test?..........I'm not pro-driving after drinking, quite the contrary, I'm only stating the BS way these "bad science" laws are considered flawless, and subject to LE's fishing for arrests....Moneypitt I guess you haven't seen The Mythbusters :D

Boatcop
05-16-2004, 08:40 AM
if you carry a CDL (commercial drivers licenses) the nationwide limit is .04
Only if you are actually driving in a commercial capacity in a commercial vehicle. "Off Duty" in your own vehicle, the .04% provision doesn't apply.
The mouth alcohol myth is just that. While it is true that residual alcohol may affect an initial reading on an intoxilyzer, we are required to keep a person under constant observation before administering an intoxilyzer test. This makes sure that any mouth alcohol is dissapated.
The intoxilyzer also detects mouth alcohol, and reads it as a "spike" and discontinues the test. The device is designed to record a gradual increase in alcohol concentration as the subject blows into it. The readings go up as breath from the deep lung enters the instrument.
When mouth alcohol is present, the initial reading is high, but immediately drops after the subject starts blowing. The device reads this as mouth alcohol, not breath alcohol and discontinues the test.
Whatever anyone may say, or whatever "urban legends" they've heard there is one fact that rings true. If you are at or above a .08% BAC you are 10 times more likely to be involved in an accident than if you had no alcohol in your system.
Want to know a sure fire way to avoid getting busted for DUI or OUI?
DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!

Flying Tiger
05-16-2004, 08:53 AM
In My Humble Opinion, my experiences of boating outta Katherines are if you're going to be in a collision with a PWC,, it's gonna be there.
And when this happens, you will be tested, and if you blow over the limit,, the wrecks on you no matter what,, & you're in big trouble..
I abso****inlutely have a Desig Driver at Mojave.
But the problem with that is I really don't think my DD can handle avoiding idiot PWC riders.
Tough place to boat. Launch outta Cottonwood,, and expects DUI checkpoints there too.
Just my 2 cents

Kachina26
05-16-2004, 09:03 AM
I stopped drinking on the water 3 years ago and although I didn't really drink much, and only beer at that, I'm not nearly as wiped out at the end of the day as I used to be. Also, I get a kick out of seeing the MAN doing his thing out there because I have NO worries:D and that's a good thing. This season I have already had 2 lake lice nearly get plowed by me, if I wasn't 100% I would have killed them for sure. But being totally sober I knew they were gonna do something stupid and was able to take action on both occasions. Best answer is don't drink on the water period.

Dr. Eagle
05-16-2004, 11:13 AM
I started noticing I felt very poorly on Monday after a dehydrating weekend of boating and drinking beer. I stopped drinking alcohol and began drinking water and/or Gatorade and began immediately feeling 100% (or as close as one can) on back to work monday...:D

Kilrtoy
05-16-2004, 11:37 AM
They normally detain you long enough for any 'residual alcohol' to dissipate before administering the test. That eliminates false positives from the guy that 'just took a drink'. Of course, it also lets that last drink get into your system if you just had one, and you may now be 'impaired'. Whereas if they had tested you immediately, you may not have been.
Thank you,
Wow ROZ, you impressed the shit out of me....
very good answer
and of course boatcop put it into language we can all understand

Debbolas
05-16-2004, 12:05 PM
Found my "thowable Floatation cusion" I have it and all the ugly orange vests stored in one spot on the boat, ready for my inspection sir!!
We also have a canister with flares and stuff.
And a fire extinquiser....
:D :cool:

dicudmore
05-16-2004, 02:47 PM
Found my "thowable Floatation cusion" I have it and all the ugly orange vests stored in one spot on the boat, ready for my inspection sir!!
We also have a canister with flares and stuff.
had one of those inspections a few weeks ago at buena vista w/a friends boat. we had picked up a passenger to give a ride back to shore and were a life jacket short. I showed the ranger the same one twice and he didn't say anything, thank god. we knew we were short one and would never go out that way on purpose....for safety and budgerary purposes

Debbolas
05-16-2004, 02:49 PM
why wouldn't you ski behind your boat?

dicudmore
05-16-2004, 03:03 PM
why wouldn't you ski behind your boat?
whose boat? my boat?
Mine because I ease it up out of the hole so slow I'd drown back there and if I let anyone else drive I'd hope they did the same so as not to stress the outdrive.....
roll it on slow and off slow they live a little longer

clownpuncher
05-16-2004, 03:56 PM
If I may be so bold..........Have at least two, mounted and maintained. Even if you just take em out of the brackets once or twice a year and shake em up a little. As the extinguisher is stored, it goes through the same bouncing around that you do as a passenger. This bouncing tends to compact the powder, making it way less likely to perform the way it's designed to. Shaking them up to break the powder up is hardly proper proceedure for proper maintenance, but, it's better than nothing.
Rarely is one extinguisher enough to do the job, especially when fuel fires are involved.
Not required for my 21 foot boat, but I have two.

Debbolas
05-16-2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by dicudmore
whose boat? my boat?
Mine because I ease it up out of the hole so slow I'd drown back there and if I let anyone else drive I'd hope they did the same so as not to stress the outdrive.....
roll it on slow and off slow they live a little longer
yes, your boat, cause it is so big.
I have been looking longenly at the wake behind our boat.....
(sigh)

Debbolas
05-16-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by clownpuncher
If I may be so bold..........Have at least two, mounted and maintained. Even if you just take em out of the brackets once or twice a year and shake em up a little. As the extinguisher is stored, it goes through the same bouncing around that you do as a passenger. This bouncing tends to compact the powder, making it way less likely to perform the way it's designed to. Shaking them up to break the powder up is hardly proper proceedure for proper maintenance, but, it's better than nothing.
Rarely is one extinguisher enough to do the job, especially when fuel fires are involved.
Not required for my 21 foot boat, but I have two.
We have this little compartment under each captain chair. Under my seat goes everyone shoes.(no more hunting around for shoes, and no one wears shoes in my boat) Under the drivers seat we have the orange canister with the flares, the boat papers and our fire extinquisher. I don't remember if there is one back in the engine compartment or not.......thanks I will check....
:D

dicudmore
05-16-2004, 05:15 PM
fire extinguisherS = good idea
hope none of us ever need to use them.....
rides under the right rear seat in my boat...

Kachina26
05-16-2004, 05:19 PM
I have 2 and an automatic system to boot.

Debbolas
05-16-2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Kachina26
I have 2 and an automatic system to boot.
Hey!
do we have one of those?!;)

sorry dog
05-16-2004, 06:09 PM
If you are at or above a .08% BAC you are 10 times more likely to be involved in an accident than if you had no alcohol in your system.
I wonder how much that stat is a reflection on the abilities of the operator versus the change in environment he is in. I think the conditions of that test would have to be qualified in order to reach a conclusion that >.08 is the greatest predictor in that relationship.
...Or we can just ask RiverDave and maybe he'll tell us about the .08 deal

Jbb
05-16-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by sorry dog
I wonder how much that stat is a reflection on the abilities of the operator versus the change in environment he is in. I think the conditions of that test would have to be qualified in order to reach a conclusion that >.08 is the greatest predictor in that relationship.
...Or we can just ask RiverDave and maybe he'll tell us about the .08 deal
Saki does not count ...cuz....chikadee china...the chineese chicken......:D

Havasu Hangin'
05-16-2004, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by dicudmore
fire extinguisherS = good idea
hope none of us ever need to use them.....
I've had to use them twice. I carry two now (they empty in what seems like a second when flames are lapping around).
Boatcop may correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they require a yearly certification to pass a Coast Guard inspection.

Kachina26
05-16-2004, 06:22 PM
Hey!
do we have one of those?!;)
Only if you paid for it. I put one in my last boat and I wanted it in this one too. My feeling is that if you have a fire in the engine compartment you are gonna flare it up big time once you open the hatch. Plus by the time you know you have one it's gonna be pretty big. Not to mention the discount on the insurance:D I got my last one from Rex, very easy to install.

sorry dog
05-16-2004, 06:30 PM
Saki does not count ...cuz....chikadee china...the chineese chicken......
Wong country grasshoppa. I have varee much Gambe last of night. China chicken varee good, taste like chickin. Nothing count here- police say you can drive between bisickel then everything OK.

Debbolas
05-16-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Kachina26
Only if you paid for it. I put one in my last boat and I wanted it in this one too. My feeling is that if you have a fire in the engine compartment you are gonna flare it up big time once you open the hatch. Plus by the time you know you have one it's gonna be pretty big. Not to mention the discount on the insurance:D I got my last one from Rex, very easy to install.
I was just thinking about that...........fire in engine compartment..........well we have to open the compartment first............what if the switch doesn't work? Mr. Scream says the fire extinquisher is NOT in the engine compartment, so that leaves the two under the captain chairs.
I think I want one like you have.......... :cool:

Kilrtoy
05-16-2004, 06:33 PM
we knew we were short one and would never go out that way on purpose....for safety and budgerary purposes
BUT YOU DID

Sleek-Jet
05-16-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Boatcop
[B]Only if you are actually driving in a commercial capacity in a commercial vehicle. "Off Duty" in your own vehicle, the .04% provision doesn't apply.
True, but if you get tagged operating with ability impared or DUI while off duty in your own vehicle, kiss your CDL good-bye. At least that's my understanding.
Don't you have to disclose all motor vehicle infractions when you get your physical??

Buff
05-16-2004, 07:17 PM
Our problem is after we recruit a non-drinker to be our boat and vehicle driver he or she may stay sober for a trip, even two or three - but by the end of summer they always end up being bigger drunks than us - and that is saying something! The biggest problem our goofy boating group has is when we did manage to get a real sworn sober-type to spend the day with us she went off on us at Palacios that night and said we would have to find a different DD the rest of the trip because the stuff we thought was so hysterically funny was just stupid. To quote her - 'It was the longest most boring day of my life!"
Ya know, it might be a way for someone, young people, retired people, and the like, who live at the river to pick up a day's pay. Charge say $10 bucks an hour and free bottled water and food while you are out. Hell - I'd fork out the moola in a minute if the DD seemed capable. Also - if some yahoo picked a fight you could pay your DD a few extra bucks to be a Designated Fighter. buf

Boatcop
05-16-2004, 07:29 PM
Don't you have to disclose all motor vehicle infractions when you get your physical??
Not sure about the physical part. but if it gets on your license, it will probably turn up if the company does a DL check, which some of them tend to do.
Boatcop may correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they require a yearly certification to pass a Coast Guard inspection.
No check is required, but they have to have some way of checking charge condition (gauge, button, etc.) to be accepted.
I think the conditions of that test would have to be qualified in order to reach a conclusion that >.08 is the greatest predictor in that relationship.
There have been numerous tests done. A slalom course is set up and boat drivers, novice, weekend, and professional, go through the course. First few times sober, to get a baseline and feel for the boat. Then they drink to a set BAC, .04%, and run the test again. Then again at .08%.
They aren't told what speed to run. Just to go through the course without hitting any buoys.
In every instance the drivers' control, reaction time, judgment and performance diminished as the BAC went up. Even at .04% they hit buoys and ran the boat faster than they did at .00%. At .08 they ran much faster than they did previously and not only hit more buoys, but over steered and over corrected and went outside the course on several occasions.
Did the increased speed make them hit more buoys? Probably. But they were given the same instructions before each test. To run through the course and avoid striking the markers. The test proved exactly what we knew before.
That alcohol consumption affects judgment, motor skills, and hand-eye coordination.
Why anyone would put their friends or family in danger by drinking alcohol and driving a boat or a motor vehicle is beyond me. I ask the people who are impaired, but say they feel fine and can handle it, if they would go to work in the condition they're in now.
Every one says basically "no way".
What does that tell you?

Debbolas
05-16-2004, 07:33 PM
Boat cop, oh Boat Cop
you need your own section ............of the forum
and then we could ask you questions!
;)

sorry dog
05-16-2004, 08:00 PM
Did the increased speed make them hit more buoys? Probably. But they were given the same instructions before each test. To run through the course and avoid striking the markers. The test proved exactly what we knew before.
I understand and agree there is a relationship. I'm just questioning the 10 times more likely stat because this test is under controlled conditions so real world can have many other factors that affect the outcome. For instance you might be 10 times more likely to have an accident because people drink more at night and night is a higher risk time, or there are other drunk boaters who compound the problem, or you are more likely to have drunk passengers which are a distraction, etc.
The effect each of these have on the situation is all rolled up into that 10 fold number. Common sense says being drunk is the biggest player in that but do we know how much?
I'm just saying that stat is a little misleading because refers to BAC as the only factor.

Kilrtoy
05-16-2004, 08:05 PM
In the San fernando Valley this weekend their were 2 fatalities, guess what, both were killed by DRUNK DRIVERS.
HEY BUFF
you have any hot chicks on your boat , Ill driver for free

ROZ
05-16-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
I've had to use them twice. Was that when you ran Fosgate amps?

Laveyman
05-17-2004, 06:22 AM
I'll throw my .02 in the mix here.
About 5 years ago my agency had a TV show call "Crime Time." It was aired on the local PBS. They did a show on DUI, and needed someone to get drunk to do filed sobriety tests. Since I was one of our fatal accident response team leaders, I was asked to fill the part.
The first thing I had to do was perform all of the standardized tests completely sober. They're actually pretty easy if you're sober. I then began drinking Cadillac margaritas until my BAC reached .08. I then did the exact same standardized tests. I seriously screwed up every single test, and it was not acting! At .08 I was f**ked up big time, and I'm not a light weight either. The bottom line is, at .08 you may not be sloppy, falling down drunk, but you ARE impaired, and your reaction times ARE going to be much slower.
What makes it worse, at that BAC, you get a false sense of security, thinking "I'm not that bad." If you're reactions are slowed, do you really want to be powering your lake rocket down the river when that idiot on the lakelice turns in front of you? What if that idiot is your best friend's daughter?
Me personally, I will have 1-2 beers on the water and that's it. Save the drinking for after you're done cleaning up the boat and you're done for the day.
Laveyman is now stepping down off the soapbox! :cool:

Havasu Hangin'
05-17-2004, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by ROZ
Was that when you ran Fosgate amps?
Yeah...and those Trojan batteries.

RacerX
05-17-2004, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by Laveyman
I'll throw my .02 in the mix here.
About 5 years ago my agency had a TV show call "Crime Time." It was aired on the local PBS. They did a show on DUI, and needed someone to get drunk to do filed sobriety tests. Since I was one of our fatal accident response team leaders, I was asked to fill the part.
The first thing I had to do was perform all of the standardized tests completely sober. They're actually pretty easy if you're sober. I then began drinking Cadillac margaritas until my BAC reached .08. I then did the exact same standardized tests. I seriously screwed up every single test, and it was not acting! At .08 I was f**ked up big time, and I'm not a light weight either. The bottom line is, at .08 you may not be sloppy, falling down drunk, but you ARE impaired, and your reaction times ARE going to be much slower.
What makes it worse, at that BAC, you get a false sense of security, thinking "I'm not that bad." If you're reactions are slowed, do you really want to be powering your lake rocket down the river when that idiot on the lakelice turns in front of you? What if that idiot is your best friend's daughter?
Me personally, I will have 1-2 beers on the water and that's it. Save the drinking for after you're done cleaning up the boat and you're done for the day.
Laveyman is now stepping down off the soapbox! :cool:
We take out one of our PAS (preliminary alcohol screener) devices when we go out drinking after work. I'm not a big drinker (I drink maybe twice amonth) and only drink high end margaritas. After (3) drinks in about 90 minutes, I was a .042 (1/2 way to DUI for the non math folks) and I felt loopy already. I honestly don't understand how people can feel like they can drive when they are .15 or ??
I always have to ask people that are just trashed how much they have had to drink to get that bad and I'm SHOCKED at how much people can drink. That thread a couple weeks ago about how much people on this board can drink was enlightening. As much as I love Pepsi, 6 or 7 per day is more than enough......:eek!:

THOR
05-17-2004, 07:08 AM
Boatcop,
check your pm por favor.
gracias

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-17-2004, 08:17 AM
Regarding the fire extinguishers. . .
Jeff has told me on several occassions that if there is a fire in the engine compartment to "throw the fire extinguisher at it, grab the kids and jump overboard!!"
LMAO now, but I'm never laughing at the time.

Debbolas
05-17-2004, 08:19 AM
Mr. Scream told me yesterday we wouldn't want a fire extinquisher back in the engine compartment. I'm wondering how we would get the hatch up to extinquish the flames.
I like your idea....;)

jackpunx
05-17-2004, 09:02 AM
what is a throw out?
Its an ugly girl:D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-17-2004, 09:21 AM
Now that's funny!

Tyson Ross
05-17-2004, 10:22 AM
Hilarious Jackpunx.....