PDA

View Full Version : where are those WMD's?

Dave C
05-17-2004, 10:21 AM
May 17, 2:02 PM (ET)
By CHRISTOPHER TORCHIA
BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP)
A roadside bomb containing deadly sarin nerve agent exploded near a U.S. military convoy, the U.S. military said Monday. It was believed to be the first confirmed discovery of any of the banned weapons that the United States cited in making its case for the Iraq war.
Two members of a military bomb squad were treated for "minor exposure," but no serious injuries were reported.
The chemicals were inside an artillery shell dating to the Saddam Hussein era that had been rigged as a bomb in Baghdad, said Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt, the chief military spokesman in Iraq.
wmd (http://apnews.excite.com/article/20040517/D82KFSAO0.html)
also
WMD's (http://apnews.excite.com/article/20040517/D82KFR500.html)
"Saddam's government had disclosed binary sarin testing and production after the 1995 defection of Iraqi weapons chief Lt. Gen. Hussein Kamel al-Majid, Saddam's son-in-law. But Saddam's government never declared that any sarin or sarin-filled shells still remained.
For that reason, the U.S. government considers the discovery of the sarin shell as significant, the U.S. official said."

GlastronGuy
05-17-2004, 10:22 AM
WMDs (http://apnews.excite.com/article/20040517/D82KFSAO0.html)

bigd1
05-17-2004, 10:33 AM
Not exactly the tons of weapons and ongoing development programs we were sold last year is it?

MagicMtnDan
05-17-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by bigd1
Not exactly the tons of weapons and ongoing development programs we were sold last year is it?
I've got your tons, right here! How's 80 tons of unaccounted for WMDs (part of a MUCH LARGER total) sound to you? Is it enough? How many tons of WMDs is enough for you liberal-give-peace-a-chance-weinies?
They believe the mustard gas shell may have been one of 550 projectiles for which former Iraqi President Saddam Hussein failed to account when he made his weapons declaration shortly before Operation Iraqi Freedom began last year. Iraq also failed to then account for 450 aerial bombs with mustard gas. That, combined with the shells, totaled about 80 tons of unaccounted for mustard gas.
More on the WMDs here (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,120137,00.html)

Nokomis
05-17-2004, 11:05 AM
Mega chemical attack foiled in Jordan
Maariv ^ | 4/16/04 | Itamar Inbari
Posted on 04/16/2004 4:34:26 PM PDT by Jewels1091
Al-Hayat: Plot to detonate charge at military installation could have killed 20,000 people, experts say. Terror cell connected to al-Qaeda mastermind Zarqawi. The terror cell that was apprehended last week in Jordan planned to carry out a large-scale chemical attack, Jordanian officials told the al-Hayat London-based newspaper. According to the officials, the successful prevention of the attack may have saved thousands of lives.
The report added that the terrorists planned to detonate a powerful chemical bomb at a Jordanian Military Intelligence installation. The cell also intended to use poison gas during attacks on the US embassy in Amman and a government building in the country.
The officials said that following the interrogation of the cell members, it was revealed they were connected to senior al-Qaeda operative Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, who is high up on the US most wanted list.
The terrorists managed to smuggle three cars packed with explosives. In one of the cars, security forces found the chemical charge.
The officials were quoted as saying, “The bomb, had it been detonated, could have affected people in a one kilometer radius and cause the deaths of up to 20,000 people, according to estimates”.
King of Jordan Abdullah II on Wednesday sent a letter of appreciation to the Kingdom’s security forces who managed to foil the plot. “Thank God, the plans of these criminals were foiled and thousands of souls were saved from a crime this country has never known”.
Dont worry Bigd1, these attacks are just the start. At some point they'll be successfull and kill thousands of innocent people and Ill be looking for your response.

Scream
05-17-2004, 11:41 AM
Ok, here's a valid question.
Why the hell don't we get a buttload of our guys to go house to house, and clean out all the leftover vermin and munitions looted after the fall of the Iraqi military? Seems to me that in order to stop this crap from happening again, we just need to start off at square one.
I know we don't want to limit thier civil rights, and we want to show them the right way to live, not like animals by any means, but enough is enough.

FRENCHIE
05-17-2004, 11:47 AM
i agree!;)

Tinkerer
05-17-2004, 12:34 PM
Sounds to me like the tip of the iceberg.
I figured we would get that kind of answer from the stupid LIBS...
Now watch the LIBS say that we planted it there..
What a bunch of LOOSERS....

Essex502
05-17-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Scream
Ok, here's a valid question.
Why the hell don't we get a buttload of our guys to go house to house, and clean out all the leftover vermin and munitions looted after the fall of the Iraqi military? Seems to me that in order to stop this crap from happening again, we just need to start off at square one.
I know we don't want to limit thier civil rights, and we want to show them the right way to live, not like animals by any means, but enough is enough.
Good focking point...suspend the civil rights one time and flush them out...ring a city send in the shock troops. Only should have to do it once per city. Then, bring our men home.

Dave C
05-17-2004, 12:51 PM
If some despot who once possessed tons of WMD's and was able to hide some of them in a desert the size of Texas, those same WMD's would be hard to find but by no means are they gone and will RE-SURFACE ONE DAY.
I think one of these days soon the "where are the WMD's" crowd is gonna eat some crow.

HighRoller
05-17-2004, 02:23 PM
They never will, Dave. You just presented them facts and they raised the standards. They wanted proof, but now they need more proof because finding WMD's is bad for their political agenda. Don't they realize what kind of effort it takes to manufacture and contain gases like Sarin? But I guess that doesn't constitute a WMD program. And the nerve gas shells that Saddam used to kill 50,000 Kurds aren't WMD's either. Liberals never admit they're wrong, get used to it.

Speedin' Ian
05-17-2004, 02:30 PM
I am curious as to what makes MMD such an expert on politics and our nation's government. There is not one political thread without you posting something. So what gives are you a political science major? Just spent a ton of years in school? I mean I my myself have taken a few political science classes, but don't claim to know it all.

Dave C
05-17-2004, 02:33 PM
yup... watch em move the goalpost..... great political game!
Blix is already playing down the find.
my favorite:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/904211saddam.jpg