PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever install Rule AUTOMATIC bilge pumps?? Help ..

Daytona19
05-17-2004, 05:16 PM
My question is. I removed two "attwood" bilge pumps from my boat which were not automatic type and being turned on/off by a push/ pull toggle. I installed Rule fully automatic pumps and wired them just as the attwoods (brown to brown & black to black wires) which run thru the dash switch as before. When I turn on the key and pull out the switch the pumps come on but they stay on. With the automatic kind I think they are supposed to come on check for water and if none detected they should shut off. Mine are staying on and not shutting off, what ya think??

Tom Brown
05-17-2004, 05:18 PM
As I recall, Rule uses a float switch. Make sure you've wired the float switch in series with one of the motor wires.

fastvdriver
05-17-2004, 05:22 PM
just a thought did they come with packing under the float switch? I know that the Attwood's sometimes have packing material inside the pump holding the float up.

572Daytona
05-17-2004, 05:52 PM
I've got automatics without the float switch and they should run for a few seconds and then stop if there is no water. Try running some water through them and see if they stop once it is pumped out.

Daytona19
05-17-2004, 07:14 PM
I tried running one by taking it out and placing it in a bucket and taking the wires and going black to ground and brown to positive on the battery and it ran fine till I took it out of the water and it stopped as it should. I did this several times and it kicked on & off to check itself too. So I placed it back in the boat and wired it as I said above. This has no float switch but a little computer to tell it to turn on or off due to water level which is internal. I thought maybe the push / pull toggle was messing with it but I cant see how or why, it just gives me control to turn it on or off when I want. I guess I was wondering if the brown to brown & black to black was correct and I didnt have to flop them for some odd reason??

phebus
05-17-2004, 07:30 PM
I thought the automatics had a three wire system. Constant hot so it could turn on automaticly, a switched hot so you could turn it on manually, and a ground.

572Daytona
05-17-2004, 07:54 PM
Mine has only has the 2 wires and I just leave the bilge switch in the on position. It cycles on based on some sort of interval and if there is no water it shuts off. I can't see how the switch could be messed up either, you should always have 12 volts on the positive side. It sounds like a short in the pump itself.

manuel
05-18-2004, 03:37 AM
I have a Rule 1100 automatic mounted under the front of my engine but mine is wired directly to the battery, if I leave the boat in the water and go eat lunch or something I want it to save my boat without my having to be there working a switch, I have two small pumps as backup mounted near the transom (overkill) on a switch,

Slick
05-18-2004, 06:27 AM
It's probably a 3-wire pump with an internal float that triggers in around two inches of water. You'll probably need to change out your switch to a 3-pole. One pull for auto and a second pull for manual. That's how I set mine up.

78Eliminator
05-18-2004, 06:39 AM
There are three wires on an auto rule pump. A ground, a automatic hot and a constant hot.
If you connect your automatic hot, every 2.5 minutes, the pump will turn on and see if there is resistance against the impeller. If there is, it will continue to run until there is no resistance.
If you connect the constant hot, it will just run until you switch it off.
You can run both these wires on a three way switch so you have an option to have it on constantly, or just can just use one or the other (I assume you would use the auto wire since you shelled out the extra bucks for an auto pump)
I think you hooked up the constant hot. Just use the other brown wire and that will be your auto hot. You don't need to use the constant wire at all if you don't want to.

77charger
05-18-2004, 02:52 PM
I have the same rule500 pump AND IT IS A 2 WIRE ONLY you either have the manual type or a defective pump.They cycle every 5 minutes(i cant remember the exact time)If they are under a load they continue to stay on til no load

SLO POKE
05-18-2004, 03:10 PM
It runs every 2 min and checks the resitince and it will pump tell there is no moore water if it is the pump i am thinking about...