PDA

View Full Version : It's a start

MagicMtnDan
05-18-2004, 09:15 PM
"Up Against Fanaticism" By Phil Lucas, Executive Editor, Panama City News Herald
If straight talk of savagery offends you, if you believe in ethnic and gender diversity but not diversity of thought, or if you think there is an acceptable gray area between good and evil, then turn to the funny pages, and take the children, too. This piece is not for you.
We published pictures Thursday of burnt American corpses hanging from an Iraqi bridge behind a mob of grinning Muslims. Some readers didn't like it. Mothers said it frightened their children. A woman who works with Muslim physicians thought it might offend or endanger them.
Well, we sure don't want to frighten, offend or endanger anybody, do we? That's just too much diversity to handle. I mean, somebody might get hurt.
We could fill the newspaper every morning with mobs of fanatical Muslims. They can't get along with their neighbors on much of the planet: France, Chechnya, Bosnia, Indonesia, Spain, Morocco, India, Tunisia, Somalia, etc., etc., etc. Can anybody name three ongoing world conflicts in which Muslims are not involved? Today, where there is war, there are fanatical Muslims.
We might quibble about who started what conflicts, but look at the sheer number of them. One thing is sure. Muslim killers started the one we are in now when they slaughtered more that 3,000 people, including fellow Muslims, in New York City.
Madeleine Albright, the former secretary of state and feckless appeaser who helped get us into this mess, said last week Muslims still resent the Crusades. Well, Madam Albright, if Westerners were not such a forgiving people, we might resent them too.
Let's recap the Crusades. Muslims invaded Europe, and when they reached sufficient numbers, they imposed their intolerant religion upon Westerners by force. Christian monarchs drove them back and took the battle to their homeland. The fight lasted a couple of centuries, and we bottled them up for 1,000 years.
Now, a millennium later, Muslims have expanded forth again. Ask France. Ask England. Ask Manhattan. Two-and-a-half years ago fanatical Muslims laid siege to us. We woke up to the obvious. Our president announced it would be a very long war, then took the battle to the Islamic homeland. Sound Familiar?
Let's consider the concept of a "long war." Last time it was 200 years, give or take. Anybody catch Lord of the Rings? You know, the good part, the part that wasn't fiction, the part that drew us to the books and movies because it was the truest part: the titanic struggle between good and evil, between freedom and enslavement, between the individual and the state, between the celebration of life and the worshipping of death.
That's the fight we are in, and it never ends. It just has peaks and valleys.
There may be a silent majority of peaceful Muslims - some live here - but that did not save 3,000 people in the World Trade Center, the million gassed and butchered in the Middle East, the tens of thousands slain in Eastern Europe and Asia, the hundreds blown to bits in the West Bank and Spain, or the four Americans shot, burned and hung like sausage over the Euphrates as a fanatical minority of Muslims did the joyful dance of death.
Maybe we are so tolerant, we are so bent on "diversity," we are so nonjudgmental, we are so wrapped up in our six-packs and ballgames that our brains have drained to our bulbous behinds. Maybe we're so addled on Ritalin we wouldn't know which end of a gun to hold. Maybe we need a new drug advertised on TV every three minutes, one that would help us grow a backbone.
It doesn't take a Darwin to figure out that in this world the smartest, the fastest, the strongest, and the most committed always win. No exceptions!
Look at your spouse and children. Look at yourself in the mirror. Then look at the pictures from the paper last Thursday. You better look at them. Those are the people out to kill you.
Who do you think will win? You? Or them? Think you can take your ball and go home and they will leave you alone? Read a little history. Start with last week, last month, last year, and every other year back for half a century. Then go back a thousand years. Nobody hides from this fight.
Like it or not, that's the way it was and that's the way it is. But many Americans don't get it. That's why we published those pictures.
If they jarred you off the sofa, if they offended you, if they scared your children and sent you into a rage at mass murderers or heartless editors, then I say, it's a start

Mandelon
05-18-2004, 09:26 PM
Great post Dan. But for a moment I thought maybe you bought a small boat.....:D
This guy is right, all the political wags want to be tolerant and accepting, but since we don't seem to teach history in schools anymore nobody knows that part of our past.
Us or Them.............you choose. :mad:
Humiliated the prisoners.....give me a break. If Saddam had at them they'd be tortured, dismembered and dead. But we embarrased them and now what, some service personnel are going to get canned, and have their lives ruined from following orders. But someone has to take the blame........its wrong wrong wrong...........

beer hunter
05-19-2004, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by Mandelon
Great post Dan. But for a moment I thought maybe you bought a small boat.....:D
I was thinking the same thing. :D

Dave C
05-19-2004, 08:53 AM
I'm sure most of the people of Berkeley and San Francisco would disagree.
According to them, we started this war because something we may have done has upset them. So what we really should do is go to them and apologize for the things that we have done around the world that offends them. We should also tell those guys with the black hoods with the bomb strapped to their chest that we want to be their "friend".
appeasement should solve the problem.;)
The preceding is what passes for "enlightened intellectual thought" coming from the bong smoked filled hot tubs of Northern California.
and they call us stupid........ :D

Havasu_Dreamin
05-19-2004, 09:21 AM
Humiliated the prisoners.....give me a break. If Saddam had at them they'd be tortured, dismembered and dead. But we embarrased them and now what, some service personnel are going to get canned, and have their lives ruined from following orders. But someone has to take the blame........its wrong wrong wrong...........
I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but WTF. The problem is that we, the US, advertise ourselves to the world as the compassionate ones, the ones that stand up for what is right, the ones that help when help is needed, and 99.9999% of the time we do exactly that. But there are rules on how prisoners of war are treated and I'm pretty sure those rules do not include what was reported as going on over there in that prison.
Ultimately, I don't give a rat's a$$ about what happened in that prison nor do I really care what goes on over in that part of the world except for when we lose soldiers amd that if we go to war somewhere we go to win.

Moe_Havi
05-19-2004, 09:45 AM
if slapping a few of those a-holes around gets us information about a roadside bomb for instance, that could save the lives of a few of our soldiers who are going to be driving by in a few hours, you can see why sometimes you have use the only thing these creeps understand, intimidation and torture. Tell me where the bomb is you f-ing murdering piece of guano or we shoot you dead in front of your ashole buddy who will be next if you don't talk. War is hell. You can bet those interviewers were given orders to get the information any way they can. They are saving our sons and daughters lives. How do I really feel? How about taking that stinkhole city of Feloupia or whatever it is and stop pussyfootin around and carpet bomb it. Sorry civilians. If you would have told us where the bad guys were in the first place, we wouldn't be going through this.
Moe

Jordy
05-19-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin
But there are rules on how prisoners of war are treated and I'm pretty sure those rules do not include what was reported as going on over there in that prison.
Yeah, but what good are rules when only one side is playing by them? Seems to me there is something in the Geneva Convention about using civilians (non-military types) as bartering tools, holding them hostage, beheading them. Seems to me that didn't work out too well huh? Where is the last civilian of theirs that we beheaded?
Why the fukk should we be the only ones who play by the rules? Fukk 'em if they can't take a joke. My only regret is pictures surfaced of these "abuses." At least they still have their heads attached to their bodies.

Havasu_Dreamin
05-19-2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
My only regret is pictures surfaced of these "abuses."
Exactly!

HavasuDreamin'
05-19-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
My only regret is pictures surfaced of these "abuses."
Bingo. Get the media out of there and let the soldiers do their job. We need to get the information any way and every way we can.

Speedin' Ian
05-19-2004, 12:42 PM
Great post Dan. But for a moment I thought maybe you bought a small boat.....
Buy a boat, come on you know MMD's sole purpose on these boards is to educate us all on politics.

HighRoller
05-19-2004, 12:52 PM
Moe-Havi makes a great point about "war". When did we become so obsessed with fighting a "nice" war? Call me a savage if you want, but I think the idea of "war crimes" is stupid. "All's fair in love and war" is a statement you should all think about. In Iwo Jima and all across the pacific we tried to fight the Japanese based on our models or standard military warfare. Well, we soon discovered the enemy had no regard for human life and didn't surrender so we had to become just as savage as they were to defeat them. When all these touchy-feely Aholes start spewing their line about "not sinking to the terrorists' level", it makes me wanna puke! That's the ONLY way we'll defeat them. The only language they speak is violence, so that's the only way to communicate with them and send them the message that no matter what they do, we'll do worse to them in return. Once they understand that we're meaner, nastier and more persistent than them and are willing to do whatever it takes for as long as it takes to hunt them down and kill them, they will get the message. And as far as bringing them to "justice"? No, we need to just make them disappear permanently.

summerlove
05-19-2004, 12:55 PM
MMD - You need a life!;)
THIS IS A BOATING FORUM, not a political forum!

Mandelon
05-19-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by summerlove
MMD - You need a life!;)
THIS IS A BOATING FORUM, not a political forum!
1. Its the sandbar. So its allowed.
2. Its a nice break from the neverending post w horing onslaught of Debbolas. :D
3. Cmon Summerlove, you wouldn't mind if Dan was a bleeding heart like you.....:D

eliminatedsprinter
05-19-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Dave C
I'm sure most of the people of Berkeley and San Francisco would disagree.
According to them, we started this war because something we may have done has upset them. So what we really should do is go to them and apologize for the things that we have done around the world that offends them.:D
They are correct. And the thing we have done that threatens and really upsets them the most is acknowledge that women have rights. This is by far the thing they hate and fear most about us and western culture......

summerlove
05-19-2004, 02:09 PM
1. Its the sandbar. So its allowed.
2. Its a nice break from the neverending post w horing onslaught of Debbolas. :D
3. Cmon Summerlove, you wouldn't mind if Dan was a bleeding heart like you.....:D
ok, I'll let him stay - for now!!!:D Only because of the Debbolas comment - ain't that the truth!;)