PDA

View Full Version : How to remove stick on car badges?

summerlove
05-19-2004, 12:52 PM
What is the best and easiest way to remove car badging? Mine are paste on and not screwed on, so it should be easy, I just don't want to mess it up.
Thanks in advance...

Havasu_Dreamin
05-19-2004, 12:55 PM
I had my "badges" removed by the dealer prior to taking delivery. I think they used a heat gun.

BADAXE
05-19-2004, 01:02 PM
Heat gun (hair dryer will work in a pinch) and a cheap plastic putty knife. Take your time and be gentle. Most stick on emblems use a strong 3M cushioned double sided tape. Clean up the residue on the car with a little dab of 3M adhesive remover.

1stepcloser
05-19-2004, 01:03 PM
Heat them up first with a heat gun, or if thats not available, a hair dryer on high will usually soften them up enough.
The car should be fairly new, or you may need to colorsand and polish the paint after removal, due to normal fading.
Good luck!

Scream
05-19-2004, 01:06 PM
On motorcycle forums they suggest a heat gun and a piece of fishing line. Heat it up all gooey and take the fishing line and run it between the paint and the adhesive, will take it off w/o a scratch.

topless
05-19-2004, 01:07 PM
Get drunk and use a chisle. Works great and then a little krylon and presto, you're done.

spectratoad
05-19-2004, 01:12 PM
Couldn't you just get a torch and cut it out and then bondo the hole?
The fishing line reply will work also if you don't want to use Bondo.

THATJEFFGUY
05-19-2004, 01:49 PM
A heat gun and a putty knife covered with a thin cloth/rag works the best...BUT make sure there aren't any holes behind the badge. I tried this on my '02 Excursion and found afterwards there were 2 "guide holes" in the rear door and front quarter panels..OOPS !

TOBTEK
05-19-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Scream
On motorcycle forums they suggest a heat gun and a piece of fishing line. Heat it up all gooey and take the fishing line and run it between the paint and the adhesive, will take it off w/o a scratch.
BINGO! .....THIS IS WHAT WE DO HERE AT BMW:D

summerlove
05-19-2004, 02:07 PM
Thanks topless! Best idea all day!!!;)
Actually, I had heard of the heat guy but that's about it. I'll try it tonight and let you know how it works out!
Thanks for the info...

topless
05-19-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by summerlove
Thanks topless! Best idea all day!!!;)
Actually, I had heard of the heat guy but that's about it. I'll try it tonight and let you know how it works out!
Thanks for the info...
Just here to help!:D

Tom Brown
05-19-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by topless
Get drunk and use a chisle. Works great and then a little krylon and presto, you're done.
LOL!

HCS
05-19-2004, 02:11 PM
That's why you don't drink and work on your car/boat.

Tom Brown
05-19-2004, 02:14 PM
By the way, I haven't had much luck using a heat gun/razor or plastic spatula. Instead, I use a rotary graphic eraser and a drill.
:)

OutCole'd
05-19-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Scream
That's how I used to do it at Lexus. Also, use lots of scotch tape, about ten layers thick around it if you are going to pry on it.
Be careful with the heat gun also, too much heat, damages the paint.
Use "Goof Off" when you are done to wash off the remaining glue.

mikev
05-19-2004, 02:29 PM
just pulled min off my 2001 silverado looks great used a heat gun to loosen it up pried it off with my fingers then cleaned up the goo with laquer thinner.

phebus
05-19-2004, 02:35 PM
Took them off our Yukon XL with heat gun and fishing line, and it still left a sticky residue behind that was harder than a bugger to get off. Not an easy job. Good luck

ROZ
05-19-2004, 02:36 PM
Hammer and a chisel :)

dmontzsta
05-19-2004, 02:39 PM
I have two imports and as you know imports love debadging. :D The way I have always done it was tooth flause and bug/tar remover. Then make sure you have polish and wax to smooth it out afterwards in case the sun has left its marks. Heat guy is a little scary cause you could damage the paint.

spectras only
05-19-2004, 02:42 PM
Soak a rag with tumbler [silicon remover] and dab around the upper edge to soak behind the plate .You should be able to pull it off with ease.

Ziggy
05-19-2004, 03:13 PM
Heat gun and that credit card you took away from the Mrs.. That plastic is more forgiving than the plastic putty knives and easier on your hand than fishing line. You'd be amazed at the many uses of credit cards beside spending money:D :D

goneboatin
05-19-2004, 03:49 PM
Check with an automotive paint supply place. They have a wheel that will go on a drill that is like an eraser to the glue that's left behind after you use a hair dryer or a heat gun. Or just take it to a body shop and be done in 15 - 20 minutes for about 40 to 50 bucks.
Good luck!

Hallett
05-19-2004, 04:47 PM
BRING THE CAR TO HAVEASU IN AUGUST THEY WILL COME OFF
EASY .:D

AZmike
05-19-2004, 06:30 PM
fishing line and wd-40

Jordy
05-19-2004, 06:48 PM
I pulled them off both my HD's with ease. Just wait for a warm day. This works really well on new trucks that haven't had time for the glue to really hold on. My crew cab badges and other crap just about fell off when I got it out here from Ohio. Don't think they had ever been that warm. :D

summerlove
05-19-2004, 06:59 PM
Badges, I don't need no stinking badges!
Well, they're off! Truck looks sooo much better without those lame Z71 badges!
Here's what I did.
Used my daughters hairdryer (on hot;) ), pulled them right off. Next, a combination of bug and tar remover and goof off and a little elbow grease (I wish I could buy some of that stuff), and a little wax when the glue was all gone. Worked great!
Thanks for the advice guys. OK, and you too Topless!:D
Now, you can go back to the OP6 thread(s);)