PDA

View Full Version : Amplifiers, which is best?

mbrown2
05-19-2004, 06:06 PM
I know this has been asked, but if you were upgrading amplifiers which brand and WHY is that brand so good?
I am currently running 3100 watts of Rockford Fosgate amps, (2) 800-4 (110 x 4 each) and a 1500BD (1500 x 1); the two 4 channels go to 8 Pierced Coaxes, and the sub amp goes to 2 12 Rockford 2112 Subs....
The amps have done good to this point, but they get hot....on really hot days, they might even go into thermal mode....Fans help, but not when it is hot...the sub amp specifically..
I have heard opinions on every kind of amplifier, and with this question I expect more, that is why I not only want to know the brand, but why or what differentiates that brand to make it better or best?
My step up brand ideas include JL, Autotech, Zapco, Diamond? I am looking for feedback on those or others that you feel may be better and WHY?....
Your feedback is appreciated...
:D

riverbound
05-19-2004, 06:42 PM
JL is one of the better amps around. The new Rockford Power series amps all have fans built into them we have used them a couple of times now and have seen no overheating problems like the older amps. I am a rockford fan but if you must use someone elses amps then go JL.

BoatFloating
05-19-2004, 06:43 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/372DSC02115-med.JPG
I haven't had a chance to run them yet, I have heard from people than run them hard and they play hot and all day. Don't even ask HH about Rockford's. That would be my choice for the money. When you play it hard do you open your hatch???

hd&boatrider
05-19-2004, 06:56 PM
I have nothing but JL in my boat..they pump hard all day and they never overheat. I have fans on the inside compartment and fans in my cabin I point straight into the vents :)
JL for me and nothing else will do

mbrown2
05-19-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by BoatFloating
[IMG]When you play it hard do you open your hatch???
Yes, I have started to...and it is not as bad with it open...I might not touch the amps, but if I was upgrading, I wanted some feedback from the folks that know their s h i t on here of what to run?

Havasu Hangin'
05-19-2004, 07:32 PM
I've run almost every brand at one time or another.
RF used to be the best, but I think $/watt, there are others that have caught up. Add the heat factor, and I won't run them in a boat- just my opinion.
JL are great amps. However, they are not true cheaters, so $/watt, they are expensive.
If money were no object, I'd probably go Zapco.
On a budget, JBLs are hard to beat for $/watt. They run cool, and hit as hard as any amp that the shops are pushing these days for 1/2 the price. For example, my old 1200 watt JBL was probably puttin out around 1300 watts (for around $300) and ran cool to the touch.
Hard to beat, IMO.

SCUBA STEVE
05-19-2004, 08:18 PM
If I were to start from scratch I would go JL. I just had a Autotek 4 channel amp installed, (not for the subs) ran it hard all last weekend with no problems. (with a fan) We'll see how it does during OP6. :D :cool:

mbrown2
05-19-2004, 09:16 PM
Scuba, how did you like Car Toyz?
Also, I am really liking the new Phoenix Gold Xenon line....2 amps only needed to drive my current setup. (1-1200.1 and 1-200.4).....with JL, I will need 3 ...2- 300.4, 1-1000.1
Probably more efficient than my current amps...and I like the fact they have built in smart fans along with smart impedance and outputs...

jbtrailerjim
05-19-2004, 09:49 PM
I'm running Arc amps in my boat and have had no problem's with them. I also have one in my truck. I'm really happy with them so far.

ROZ
05-19-2004, 11:00 PM
I would Never run JL Audio or Zapco amps. They totall suck! ;) :p :D

mbrown2
05-19-2004, 11:02 PM
Roz, do you carry the Zapco's now?
What's your thoughts on PG?

ROZ
05-19-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by mbrown2
Roz, do you carry the Zapco's now?
No, but I can get them through a buddy's shop.... ;)
What's your thoughts on PG?
Always liked them. They perform really well in Whipped's boat. Waiting to see what the Elite can do :D The Xenon sub ampsare pretty effecient...

SCUBA STEVE
05-20-2004, 04:25 AM
My experiance with Car toyz was a good one! :cool: I also forgot to add before I even gave them a dime, Frank took the time to get the #s off the head unit so I could activate my Sirus radio. I always had the equipment to do it, but I never got the #s from the original install. (I didnt know how to get the #s myself) That doesnt sound like much, but those little things always count in my book. :D :cool:

TOBTEK
05-20-2004, 08:03 AM
Also, I am really liking the new Phoenix Gold Xenon line....2 amps only needed to drive my current setup. (1-1200.1 and 1-200.4).....with JL, I will need 3 ...2- 300.4, 1-1000.1
Probably more efficient than my current amps...and I like the fact they have built in smart fans along with smart impedance and outputs...
MB......as you know im a huge PG fan! Even with my new set up 1200 mono and two 600x2's for all the seperates....its still heating up:rolleyes: It takes alot to get there, but it still does it...big bummer after all the time and $$$$$ I have spent. Wish we all knew more about these new water cooled amp's...........

KACHINA KEN
05-20-2004, 10:11 AM
Another line to look at is PPI, I run (2) PCX-2400's they are commonly called "surfboards because they are 3 feet long! built in fans so they run real cool like the JL's.
They are 1600 watts 2 ch Amps, # 1 is for 4 -12" subs run mono and the 2nd is for 8 MB Quart speakers 4 6x9's and 4 6 1/2 run stereo. it hurts, but in a good way..........
Kenny

1stepcloser
05-20-2004, 10:26 AM
I am currently running 3100 watts of Rockford Fosgate amps, (2) 800-4 (110 x 4 each) and a 1500BD (1500 x 1); the two 4 channels go to 8 Pierced Coaxes, and the sub amp goes to 2 12 Rockford 2112 Subs....
The amps have done good to this point, but they get hot....on really hot days, they might even go into thermal mode....Fans help, but not when it is hot...the sub amp specifically..
I run RF as well, not as much power though, a power series 400.4 and a BD1000.1.
The four channel goes to the 4 6.5's and the 1000 is on the 4 10's.
My problem was with the four channel, last year, in the heat, it would shut down after only a few minutes of play at very high levels.
The 1000.0 would be warm at best. Although last year it was running at 4 ohm's on 2 12's.
With the new configuration, I have had the system playing for about 4 hours at party volume without shutting down, and several times it was turned way up....(Oh man, I love this song!:D).
When I check the amps for heat, (nothing scientific, just touching them) The four channel is still hot, but nowhere near as hot as last year....the mono is now getting almost hot, as I run it at 2 ohm's.
Fans, as well as controlling their flow across the amps, I believe have made the difference.
I'm not really convinced that any one amp will survive more or less heat than another, under the same circumstances, ie; pushing them to near thermal limits, with ambient air temps in the 100's.
:cool:

MASTERKENDOG
05-20-2004, 10:31 AM
not to be a thread ripper, but here's my 2 cents on Car Toyz...
Nothing but awesome. Brent & Frank have done nothin' but take care of everything. I'm running 2 Autotek Amp's. 1000 watt for the subs and a 750 for the 8-6X9's. The rigging is top notch too! All I get is compliments all day from fellow H.B.er's about the quality and the loudness of the system.
Had and issue with a remote pod and a speaker housing fell out. Called them up, told them I live in Cali, boats stored in Needles, your in Havasu, wadda we gonna do? So this is what happens...Brent drive to needles, picked up the boat on Wednesday, has it ready for me on Saturday morning and Frank asked if I was going out on the water right then, I says YES and he calls his associates to "Do a wipe down". Yes, they even wiped the boat down as I was picking it up. They called me 3 weeks later with follow up to see how everything was going with the install. They rock!!
No problems with the Autoteks either, 120 degrees out and they run all day without getting hot. I had them for about 9 months!!
iI cannot recommend them enough!!
MKD

ROZ
05-20-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by 1stepcloser
(nothing scientific)
Fans, as well as controlling their flow across the amps, I believe have made the difference.
I'm not really convinced that any one amp will survive more or less heat than another, under the same circumstances, ie; pushing them to near thermal limits, with ambient air temps in the 100's.
:cool:
okay Mr Wizard.. :cool: :p :D
I can't wait to hear that thing...:)

1stepcloser
05-20-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by ROZ
okay Mr Wizard.. :cool: :p :D
I failed science. :)

77charger
05-20-2004, 08:13 PM
i like my XTANT x604.It seems to run fine when turned up.I am currently running 1 L5(1ohm) sub,4 6x9s(2ohms)

riverbound
05-21-2004, 07:17 PM
Rockford Power series
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/681Picture_367-med.jpg

Cheap Thrills
05-21-2004, 11:10 PM
thought I might as well chime in here .
heres my opinion on the best amps
1- for clarity Mcintosh (http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/mcprod/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=22&cat=Power+Amplifiers)
2-For Power and almost as clean as Mcintosh Soundstream (http://www.soundstream.com)
be sure to check out the XXX-5000D amplifier .what a monster !
3- Good all arround pro grade and damn near bulletproof .JBL (http://www.jbl.com/)
C.T. :wink:

ROZ
05-22-2004, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by Cheap Thrills
thought I might as well chime in here .
heres my opinion on the best amps
1- for clarity Mcintosh (http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/mcprod/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=22&cat=Power+Amplifiers)
There was a time when the McIntosh was the ruler in the clarity Kingdom... It's an all time classic. I have a buddy who has one of their old 6 channels up on display in his shop, and he won't budge on the price... I think the upper end Arc, Zapco, and new MB Quart wound probably take it though...

Blown Lavey
05-25-2004, 04:33 PM
So whats the consenus (sp) on amp and temp?
1. Zapco, MB Quart
2. Jl
3. Jbl clean and budget oriented..is there such a thing in audio and where does Alpine fit in?
Also can anyone post some pictures of the fans they are using?

rivercrazy
05-25-2004, 09:06 PM
One thing to remember about amplifers is a clean watt is a clean watt ..... If the gains / crossover / onboard processing features are all set the same, you won't hear ANY difference in sound quality of any brand of amp.
Therefore reliability, build quality, accurate power ratings, and value are the most important aspects. Lots of great amps out there. Pick an amp that suits your needs and budget.
Personally, I am totally satisfied with my JBL Power Series and JBL PX Crown amps. Clean, reliable, underrated, and great value amps...

mbrown2
05-25-2004, 09:49 PM
Based on the feedback and talking to others, if I do upgrade, it will based on what will fit and give me the right amount of power, not less than I have now and what will fit...My short list is PG, Zapco, and JL...

boxscore
05-26-2004, 06:09 AM
I run RF 400.4 & 1000.1, 4pr components and 2 12"s. Fans seem to keep them very cool, yet I still haven't seen 110 degree days with 'em.
Back to Car Toyz... I went in just to have an XM receiver and antenna installed a couple months back. I returned an hour later to find the job satisfactorily done AND my boat WAXED and BUFFED! I think it was Kevin who said "I can't stand to see nasty Havasu hard water spots on a pretty boat". I thanked him, tipped him well. I will be back for any work in the future. That's how you build a business.

TrojanDan
05-26-2004, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by boxscore
I returned an hour later to find the job satisfactorily done AND my boat WAXED and BUFFED!
Very good to hear!
MBrown, I'm a little partial to the JLAudio amps! But no matter what amps say, you still have to throw some fans at them in the desert heat. :cool:

mbrown2
05-26-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by TrojanDan
Very good to hear!
MBrown, I'm a little partial to the JLAudio amps! But no matter what amps say, you still have to throw some fans at them in the desert heat. :cool:
Dan,
Thanks...yeah, I have two of the Stinger fans, but one keeps failing. (twice now)..I need to have Car Toyz check it if I don't want to drag it all the way back down to the DCB to get checked again.

BADBLOWN572
05-26-2004, 12:12 PM
I have the Zapco amps in my boat and I have never had a problem with the amps. They crank hard and with the fans built in, they keep cool.

LHC Kirby
06-01-2004, 08:04 PM
I just put in a Crossfire amp? Good choice? I just needed an amp - and I am not the type or does a lot of research - just got it and installed.... sounds great, esy install and does not heat up a whole lot.
Anyone else use Crossfire?
Crossfire VR300D
• High Current Class D subwoofer amplifier
• 150W x 1 RMS at 4 ohm, 300W x 1 at 2 ohm
• Variable Subsonic Filter
• Variable Highpass/Lowpass Crossover from 50 to 500Hz
• Low level (RCA) inputs only
• MOSFET power supply
• Nickel plated connectors
• 5 way protection circuits
• 2 ohm stable
• 9.3"W x 2.1"H x 9.5" L

locogringo
06-03-2004, 10:31 PM
I am running two 5 channel 75x4 and 300x1 (RMS) Infinity amps that are no longer made. They get hotter than you are able to touch during the blistering heat in July-August-Spet. but haven't had any problems as of yet.
Anyone know anything about these?

rivercrazy
06-04-2004, 08:30 AM
Hey Loco. In my experience, 4 and 5 channel amps tend to run hotter than 2 channels or mono amplifers. I would think about putting fans on them.
Infinity just released a new line of amps after not having any in the market for a number of years.

Pesky Varmint
06-04-2004, 08:50 AM
If you want something to run cool look for Class D amps.
I run a pair of JL 500 watt each Class D's and am happy with
them but several companies make them.
Class D is a switching technology that makes an amplifier
inherently over 90% efficient, losing far less energy as heat.
Most amplifiers are Class A/B and typically run about 67%
efficiency at their most efficient point, which is also at about
67% power output.
Pesky Varmint
Electronic Engineer
(Ex Power Amplifier Engineer)

amw
06-06-2004, 08:15 AM
mbrown has the rf cliped yet and have you seen 105+ deg days yet ill have the same but under the deck

mbrown2
06-06-2004, 05:54 PM
Amw, in the 9 months, it has only clipped once and that was running at 3/4 volume for about 3 hours....and that was a 105+ day outside the hatch....I am running them under a hatch, but since it is outboards, that hatch stays a lot cooler than an inboard boat....I ran them for the last 10 days and the RF's ran great.....thinking less and less about upgrading at the current time..
Pesky Varment, the 1501bd that I am running is a class D amp...1500watts x 1 @ 2ohms..

locogringo
06-07-2004, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
Hey Loco. In my experience, 4 and 5 channel amps tend to run hotter than 2 channels or mono amplifers. I would think about putting fans on them.
Infinity just released a new line of amps after not having any in the market for a number of years.
Thanks for that info. Good to know.
Also, those amps I am running are Class D for the sub output.

amw
06-12-2004, 10:42 PM
hey that souds pretty good i have the same set up less 1 of your 851s i saw where they put your amps cause of the outboards real nice once isnt bad im glad to hear we will see how it goesrunning the 1501 to 2 12 diamond m6 mkIIs 851x to the 2 pr 6.5 rainbow profi vanadiuum componets in back and front rainbow profi 3wy componets 6.5 4mid and tweet hope it sound good an dyour boat is SICK

Coach
06-15-2004, 08:37 AM
LHC Kirby
I am running a crossfire VR404 and love it. I am not running a monster system like many of the guys on the boards, but it does pump. I run 4- 5.25 and a single 10" (all crossfire) and the system is very loud. I don't have a fan cooling the system and it has only overheated once (due to the fact I put a cooler in front of the amp and it blocked any air flow). Some of my other buddies run pioneer amps and sony amps and they can't touch the crossfire in terms of power and clarity.

doogie
06-18-2004, 04:03 PM
mbrown2, good choice by leaving the system alone for now since you just won at op6. I was ready to buy new amps too. I think with stereo systems, its not what you have its how it is installed. You can have the top of line amps, speakers, etc, but if it's not installed right then the system will not sound good. I am running 3 RF. 1051 for 4 subs. 751x for 6X9 and 851 for 6" components. The 1051 would constantly go into thermo shut down because of the heat and I think it had to do with the way the subs where wired. It was wired as 2ohms stereo, however, I changed it over to 4 ohms bridged. So far it hasn't went into thermo shut down yet, but we will see on the 4th! I am sure it will being it is over 105 havasu. You don't hear a lot of good stuff about rockford fostgate on the board, however, it sounds like it is leading the pack.
Doogie

riverbound
06-18-2004, 04:42 PM
I'm a big fan of rockford amps and use them in most of the boat systems we do. The older amps did have problems getting too hot but the new stuff is much better.

mbrown2
06-18-2004, 04:58 PM
Doogie, I am designing another system right now and have not ruled RF's out, but I am still leaning towards the new PG Xenon series....Your system sounds pretty trick....I would like to hear it one of these days..:)

riverbound
06-18-2004, 05:19 PM
mbrown,
did you pull the trigger on that wakeboard boat?

mbrown2
06-18-2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by riverbound
mbrown,
did you pull the trigger on that wakeboard boat?
Looking at some boats tomorrow...still deciding between three brands...hopefully within a couple of weeks after I drive them...;)

rivercrazy
06-19-2004, 08:59 AM
Doogie, I am designing another system right now and have not ruled RF's out, but I am still leaning towards the new PG Xenon series....Your system sounds pretty trick....I would like to hear it one of these days..:)
Is it because the footprint on the new amps are too big or is it the heat? You might also take a look at the newer JBL PX and BPX series amps. They were designed by JBL/Crown. Lots of great features, built like a tank, run cool, and priced right

mbrown2
06-19-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
Is it because the footprint on the new amps are too big or is it the heat? You might also take a look at the newer JBL PX and BPX series amps. They were designed by JBL/Crown. Lots of great features, built like a tank, run cool, and priced right
In the DCB it is because of footprint....however, since I have been leaving the hatch barely cracked on 105+ days....they have not thermo'd at higher levels....the RF's are working pretty good at this point...the other system I am looking at is for another boat...

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-19-2004, 11:11 PM
:eek: :D