PDA

View Full Version : Home stereo in boat.

BOBALOO
05-20-2004, 01:47 PM
I was thinking after seeing the pontoon stereo question. Can you see any downfall to putting a 100w or so home receiver in a pontoon boat and gettin some house speakers to blast the competition? I was goin to buy a pontoon boat and try this and since I already have a Honda 2000w generator I figured on buying some big ass house speakers and I would have only about 1400-1500$ with the generator. If you already have a gen or some old stereo stuff it could be done way cheap.
A friend of mine used to use his walkman plugged straight into his amp b/c he couldn't afford a head unit and it sounded great.
Lastly, I thind this setup would be well suited to a rv for the desert since most trailers have a generator and inverter for 110v stuff. Cheaper than a bunch of amps at 200-400$ a pop,add XM radio or an mp3 player and your'e set.

riverbound
05-20-2004, 03:03 PM
We used to do that before I got in the audio industry. We had 4 marantz towers and a dennon amplifier with a discman. it worked and was loud but it was a pain in the @$$ to carry all that stuff to the boat.

ROZ
05-20-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by BOBALOO
I was thinking after seeing the pontoon stereo question. Can you see any downfall to putting a 100w or so home receiver in a pontoon boat and gettin some house speakers to blast the competition? I was goin to buy a pontoon boat and try this and since I already have a Honda 2000w generator I figured on buying some big ass house speakers and I would have only about 1400-1500$ with the generator. If you already have a gen or some old stereo stuff it could be done way cheap.
A friend of mine used to use his walkman plugged straight into his amp b/c he couldn't afford a head unit and it sounded great.
Lastly, I thind this setup would be well suited to a rv for the desert since most trailers have a generator and inverter for 110v stuff. Cheaper than a bunch of amps at 200-400$ a pop,add XM radio or an mp3 player and your'e set.
I know plenty of peeps who have 2ch 110v receivers in their coaches and 5th wheels..

SCUBA STEVE
05-22-2004, 05:48 AM
You really want to buy a pontoon boat? :confused: (off topic)

phebus
05-22-2004, 06:12 AM
Don't forget the disco ball :D

ROZ
05-22-2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by phebus
Don't forget the disco ball :D Or the fake grass, tiki's, tiki torches, and a limbo bar for when you've beached :D

BOBALOO
05-22-2004, 03:04 PM
Steve. I was gonna keep my Hallett jet and buy a Tritoon or one of the other faster pontoons so I could still go to Blythe or other shallow spots and use the toon for partying on Havasu. Dont get me wrong it would have a big block chevy for power,since I already have a gen6 454 w/nos under the workbench. Add a few comfy chairs,some of those speakers that you see at concerts,a "flag" pole on the front, BIG bbq,and some cool lighting, NO tikis (fire is bad) but disco is cool.
Bigger boat for the lake won out when I couldn't find a reasonable price on a toon set up for a bbc. C-ya in Parker friday Savages:D

BOBALOO
05-22-2004, 03:11 PM
See Steve, I love jetboats. This was my 89 Hallet 19' jet.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/129hallett-med.jpg