PDA

View Full Version : DSL - Who's got a good deal?

goneboatin
05-20-2004, 08:20 PM
Dial up sucks. Does anyone have a hot deal on DSL in the San Dimas area?

Scream
05-20-2004, 08:22 PM
Yahoo was sellin it cheap not too long ago, also your cable company may have a deal going on a cable hook up

Mandelon
05-20-2004, 08:27 PM
We use Mpower. Phone and DSL package gets you a good deal. I don't know if they do your area tho'.

Ntwotrance
05-20-2004, 08:28 PM
ask both what specials they have going on (pacbell/yahoo and cable), pacbell/yahoo had a 29.95 special for the first year (not including modem)...I wouldn't ever go back to dial up after dsl....

goneboatin
05-20-2004, 08:47 PM
I've got Adelphia cable, they offer cable DSL for $24.99 for 3 months, but it jumps to $52.00 a month after that. SBC had a good deal, but they don't service my area. Verizon had a deal, but since I've got Mac, it wasn't compatable. (Damn you Apple Computer!) :mad:

Boozer
05-20-2004, 09:17 PM
Get cable or get nothing.
I sold DSL for some time. Before I sold DSL I sold cable internet.
Hands down cable is the fastest for the money. DSL tends to run around the same price as cable but cable offers a much faster service for the money. Where I am at right now I get 2.4 mbps for $49.99 a month I see average d/l speeds of 360kbps. The DSL I got for $49.99 was 640K and I averaged d/l 70kbps.
If I had to go back to dial up I just wouldn't have the internet anymore. To much content and to little bandwidth with dial up. With dial up I bet some of these posts take 4-5 minutes to load with all of the pictures. Who has the time or pateince for that these days?

dicudmore
05-20-2004, 09:26 PM
sbc/yahoo

dicudmore
05-20-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Boozer
Get cable or get nothing.
I sold DSL for some time. Before I sold DSL I sold cable internet.
Hands down cable is the fastest for the money. DSL tends to run around the same price as cable but cable offers a much faster service for the money. Where I am at right now I get 2.4 mbps for $49.99 a month I see average d/l speeds of 360kbps. The DSL I got for $49.99 was 640K and I averaged d/l 70kbps.
If I had to go back to dial up I just wouldn't have the internet anymore. To much content and to little bandwidth with dial up. With dial up I bet some of these posts take 4-5 minutes to load with all of the pictures. Who has the time or pateince for that these days?
gotta go with boozer on this one....finally got my dsl at home functional today and man does it rip :D

Salty Cracker
05-20-2004, 09:46 PM
DSL's - OH, I was thinking of something totally different!! :D

HM
05-20-2004, 09:56 PM
I have 2 DSL plans. If you are in SBC area - I got it. In Verizon - I might.
Standard DSL - 29.95/mo with 1/2 off 3rd month. Free Modem
DSL + (for gamers - turbo DSL) - $39.95/mo with 1/2 off first 3 months and free modem.
Both require a 1 year commitment, then it is month to month.
PM me to see if we offer it in your area. I market Covad DSL which is the largest DSL provider in the US.
Unfortunately I can't get my own DSL where I live. Just hooked up Cable modem with ComCast and they have a decent offer: $19.99 for 3 months, then $42.95/mo after that. Modem is not included, but you can rent it for $3 or buy one.

HOSS
05-21-2004, 02:40 AM
I had DSL now have cable. Cable is probably a little faster. With my DSL I was really close so it was faster than most others I know with it.
I want satellite. I know its not fast yet but it will be.

twistedpair
05-21-2004, 06:17 AM
I hate to say this, but Boozer is correct. I used to install DSL, and later Cable Modems. Cable is much more reliable, faster, and in many cases, cheaper.

boxscore
05-21-2004, 06:30 AM
You can lay cable... you can't lay DSL. Cable all the way.

twistedpair
05-21-2004, 06:37 AM
Sometimes you gotta lay pipe to get either one!! It's all good!:D

Flying Tiger
05-21-2004, 07:00 AM
SBC Yahoo is running a $26 per mo. for a year special, with a one time charge of $50 more for an additional computer.
Works OK.
Pix upload much faster than dial up, music downloads superfast.
Goofy and limited e mail service, but it works.

HCS
05-21-2004, 07:17 AM
That's what I have, SBC Yahoo $29.00 a month. I don't care for
the modem. Other than that it works pretty good.

mickeyfinn
05-21-2004, 12:12 PM
If all you do is surfing the web either DSL or cable will work great for you. I had earthlink dsl for many years at a cost of 39.99/month and then climbed to 49.99. I also spend a lot of time on the newsgroups downloading binaries. With DSL I got the full advertised 1.5 Mbs speeds. I recently switched to cable and now get a full 3.0 Mbs speed. One thing I discovered though is that almost ALL cable companies crank back on bandwidth to the news servers. Earthlink had Great news servers. Both have good retention 2-3 weeks for most binaries, but with cable and the bandwidth restrictions I need that retention as it takes 2-3 days to download a 650 meg CD. Samething could be done in an hour or two with DSL. Like I said, if you are mainly surfing either will work. Just go for the cheapest. If you do a lot of downloading from the web you will get higher speeds from cable. If you do a lot with news servers and you rely on the free one provided from your ISP then you should RUN away from your cable unless you can get them to give you in writing what their bandwidth allowances are.