PDA

View Full Version : The word ***boat...and why I am upset

locogringo
05-20-2004, 09:48 PM
I receive four magazines pertaining to boats. Three of them I receive on a regular, timely fashion. The other one is like a 68 Porsche; it decides to start and behave when it wants to.
I have never written a rebuttal to a magazine article before but was so distraught and amazed by the apathetic comments in the opening ***boat article that it has at least prompted me to write me feelings about it on this board.
Sounding the False Alarm under Observer's Seat, for the most part seemed like an agnostic child in the belief that the sky really isn't blue and the world round.
The pent up anger erupting in this article seems mostly childish and lacking of true substance. To say that an organization named American Hot Boat Association was riding on the coattails of "Hot Boat Magazine" because of the word association of the two is absurd and extremely self-serving.
To bash anyone to the point that this article did is both unprofessional and lacking of true journalism skill.
Hot Boat Magazine in my opinion is nothing short of a glorified advertising forum with tidbits of helpul and relevant information regarding boating and all that enthralls it.
I do however continue to enjoy the boats that I will one day own and the gadgets that keep me coming back to this sometimes skewed magazine; and for that, I am grateful.
Daniel

LASERRAY
05-20-2004, 09:51 PM
***boat has a Magazine?:confused: :D
I know, that jokes about as fresh as a Foghat concert, but it still cracks me-up.:D

Salty Cracker
05-20-2004, 09:53 PM
Very well said you big bald sexy guy!!! :D

RiverToysJas
05-20-2004, 10:00 PM
I agree completely!
Sounding the False Alarm under Observer's Seat, in this issue was cocky, immature, off-base, and lacking class. I found most of it to be offensive towards to the very boaters who have taken this magazine to it's current level of success.
I do enjoy the photos of the boats, and I like the effort at the back of the magazine to show the boats of it's roots. I was very disappointed to see that Sounding the False Alarm article though.
RTJas

locogringo
05-20-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Salty Cracker
Very well said you big bald sexy guy!!! :D
Hey, some people might take that the wrong way! LOL
When's your next trip hunk?
See, it just doesn't sound like anything but gay coming froma guy, but girls talking to each other that way is okay. Go figure.
***boat has a Magazine?
Go figure...LOL
I agree completely!
I'm glad you're with me RTJ:D

RiverToysJas
05-20-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by locogringo
I'm glad you're with me RTJ:D
LOL, I knew this thread was coming, and have just been waiting for you to step up!!! ;) Didn't want to step on your toes ya know.
RTJas :D

C-2
05-20-2004, 11:23 PM
:)

FastTimmy
05-21-2004, 05:15 AM
I have no coment on the article yet but would like to here some more info on why or what actions by the ***boat association has our ***boat thinking that the said association is riding on the shirttails.
Timmy

mtndewdrops
05-21-2004, 05:35 AM
Don't subscribe anymore since there might be 2 paragraphs of useful information in the whole mag. You can get better pics on ***boatpics.
Good for the bird cage though.

PHX ATC
05-21-2004, 06:21 AM
How come the "editor" lives in Hawaii?
Can't handle the heat in Havasu anymore?
I agree with Loco.
Out.

Tremor Therapy
05-21-2004, 06:41 AM
Daniel,
I too agree with you completely! I don't remember Hot Boat magazine in the 60's, yet I do remember many people using the term "hot boat" when describing the '68 flattie with the built Olds 455 that my family had!
A true journalist can get their point accross without such a blatant slam on another organization. That portion of the article is the kind of thing I would expect to read in a note from one of my teenage daughters! In fact, over the years many of the articles I read seem to be written as if the writter is taking the "high road," yet more often than not, they seem to me to be more opinion based and sensationalistic in nature.
I too like the articles on the other boats that I too will move up to over time, and also enjoy reading the articles about the beginnings of our "hot boat" culture. But please do not think that this magazine is the end all of hot boating. I do not associate that term to your magazine anymore than I do "HotRod" magazine to hotrods.

DogHouse
05-21-2004, 07:56 AM
I already had my rant on this topic in another thread... :D
Suffice to say I agree!
:cool:

riverracerx
05-21-2004, 10:28 AM

h2oedits
05-21-2004, 03:53 PM
A couple of tidbits for the would-be journalism geniuses in the
house, who astutely observed that my column in the last issue was based on OPINION...
Generally, especially in enthusiast-type magazines (in our case, that would be readers who actually OWN a boat), the first section of the magazine is reserved for various editors to spout off about whatever they please. That's why they're called EDITORIAL COLUMNS -- because they're opinion oriented. Whether you agree with them or not is a separate matter, but criticism on the basis of their being opinion is ludicrous.
For those who have posted on this who have actually cracked the fold of a daily newspaper at some point in their lives, you may recall breezing by the Editorial section. That's the newspaper's equivalent of these columns.
Secondly, anyone who believes that the AHBA was completely innocent in choosing a similar name to ours is way beyond naieve. We took HUNDREDS of calls from people that mistakenly believed that we were affiliated. It was a blatant and very successful attempt to capitalize on a similar name by intentionally blurring the distinction between a new, unknown, upstart organization, and one involved in a similar pursuit that has been around for decades.
I don't have to debate the origin and evolution of the term HOT BOAT with anyone who's been involved in the sport longer than 10 years. If you have not, your frame of reference disqualifies you from a true perspective on this issue.
HOT BOAT has been published, in various forms under different owners, for more than 20 years. Like it, hate it, whatever, we've
survived a roller coaster to get where the magazine is today. Publishing is a VERY competitive business. Our firm once owned 16
mainstream titles, along with their "specialty" magazines: our title
is the only one left. Hot Boat continues to grow in readership, advertising, pages, etc.
We're sensitive to your criticism and complaints about what we do, and some of you who actually read the words in the magazine recognize that we've made changes based on what we see on the message boards. However, one thing is indisputable: we've worked hard to establish our name. When an upstart that has NOT paid its dues comes along and capitalizes, it pisses me off.
We had lengthy meetings at corporate about what we should do about AHBA and their obvious immitation -- did anyone see their original banners they hung at their events? The text was even similar to the HOT BOAT logo! Please.
One option, given the resources of our owner (considerable), was to sue. After much debate, we decided against it, even though we were justified in protecting a name that we legally own. We figured AHBA, despite what I feel was an underhanded route to immediate name recognition, was good for the sport, and that was the bottom line, so we took a "live and let live" approach.
We met with AHBA, and assured them that so long as they remained a non-competitive entity, we would do nothing. They assured us right to our face that they were in the poker run business, and had no intention of competing with Hot Boat, despite the fact that they basically hijacked our entire name and sandwiched it with two other words to form their company. And make no mistake...regardless of what anyone tells you, they formed that organization to MAKE MONEY. Nothing wrong with that, but please don't pose them as some sort of altruistic little guy who is getting kicked around by mean old Hot Boat.
We agreed to what I felt was an uneasy truce.
Well, surprise surprise...a few months later, out came their rag of a magazine (you may remember it -- they once did an entire feature on female toe nail care -- I kid you not).
They then proceeded to SPAM their events, and this sorry-ass rag, all over the message boards THAT WE PAY TO MAINTAIN EVERY MONTH... pushing the concept of testicular circumfrence to a new level.
Whatever business you are in, imagine one of your competitors coming to your place of business, and proceeding to
hang a huge sign on your building promoting HIS company. Of course, they're NOT riding on our coattails... Again, PLEASE!
After being politely asked to refrain, they did it all over again, until we had to not so politely ask.
Then there was the Coast Guard e-mail...which was, in my opinion, the single worst bit of PR for an industry that I've seen disseminated in my 20 years on the job. It was incorrect, irresponsible, from the hip, and out of line. Then to later blame that very entity for the shut down of their event...well, this just goes on and on.
Just so you know, I'm not going to participate in an endless exchange of posts -- we're actually wrapping up a deadline right now, and I just don't have time. But if anyone would like to debate this further, feel free to e-mail me at kevin@***boat.net
Kevin Spaise
Hot Boat

CAHotRodBoy
05-21-2004, 04:30 PM
My E-mail to Mr. Spaise:
Dear Mr. Spaise:
RE: Your Reply to The Hot Boat Thread on ***boat.com
Is Hot Boat Magazine affiliated in anyway with the IHBA (International Hot Boat Association)? I may be wrong but I believe that organization was around before Hot Boat Magazine. Perhaps they feel that you are the upstarts, taking advantage of their name!
I am not affiliated with the AHBA in anyway and in fact, participated in their Poker Run for the first time this year (and I do own a boat!). I think that if you have a problem with the AHBA you should address it with them privately and if unsuccessful, take whatever legal action is required. To air it in editorial makes you look petty and immature. Just because you have the right, as an editor, to say what ever you want doesn't mean it the right thing to do. I can understand the desire to clarify that the AHBA is not affiliated in any way with your magazine and feel that stating just that would have been sufficient.
I would, at the same time, like to applaud you for your coverage of the Lake Havasu Marina situation. I look forward to further information on this issue and believe that it is one that could make Hot Boat Magazine a true champion of the hot boaters!
I would also like to commend you for responding to the posts on the forum (even if we all didn't like what you had to say!). I think we all appreciate the accessibility to you and your magazine and it is nice to know that you actually read some of the stuff on here!
Thank You.
Sincerely,
Alan Orton

CAHotRodBoy
05-21-2004, 04:52 PM
It is funny, RD.
And I got to agree that they pay to maintain this board so blatant bashing of the magazine is just as low class as bashing the AHBA. I like the magazine, I subscribe to it and will continue to do so, regardless of the circumference of my testicles! :D

Lightning
05-21-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
I'm not really going to get into this dealio, but I gotta say.. I don't care who ya are
That was funny. :D
RD
I think I read that same line in the magaizine editorial on Havasu Marina

playdeep
05-21-2004, 05:15 PM
Hot Rod magazine,NHRA...(National HOT ROD assn.),IHRA...InternationalHOT ROD assn.),AHRA(American HOT ROD assn.)...Sounds like someone did they're homework before coming up with HOT BOAT?....So Kevin are you guys gonna take credit for the term HEATWAVE POKER RUNS as well,or do Jim and Art get credit for that.
Although the powers that be at HOT BOAT would never admit it(arrogance),the truth of the matter is that a bunch of weekend boating buddy's got together and stole the thunder from the full time professionals.
Prior to the AHBA,the poker runs in Havasu were mainly the manufacture's regatta's,which were unorganized and uneventful.
A certain individual had a monopoly with the mfg.s in his back pocket due to his assn. with Hot Boat.
Jim and Art come along with a better idea to make poker runs an event,mfg's and marine suppliers take notice and come on board (i.e.Teague,IMCO,etc.)to take part in the festivities.
The AHBA poker runs always drew upwards of 150-200 boats.from throughout the country..the Hot Boat sponsored poker runs(convienently scheduled the week prior to the AHBA's) drew far fewer.A point that Mr. Spaise forgot to include.
Loco,thanks for bringing this out,so that people could have the opportunity to learn more about the politics of HOT BOATing...
p.s.I cancelled my subscription last year,guess I am missing out on all of those flawless gel coat,blah,blah,blah,vanilla tests..

dkreuzen
05-21-2004, 06:37 PM
I'm surprised HOT BOAT hasn’t claimed the word MAGAZINE belongs to them too...
Dennis

Jbb
05-21-2004, 06:42 PM
I am hoping that something can be resolved before the Fall....Im sitting on a half dozen or so big cats that want to rumble.....And I want to visit Havasu!!!....:D....Fall Heatwave!!!

Debbolas
05-21-2004, 06:59 PM
THATS the femle cuticle article he was talking about....got it!
So, can I post here if I don't have testicular circumfrence ?
;)

superdave013
05-21-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by h2oedits
We're sensitive to your criticism and complaints about what we do, and some of you who actually read the words in the magazine recognize that we've made changes based on what we see on the message boards.
Kevin Spaise
Hot Boat
Thanks Kevin,
Us v drive guys and the jetters (ya know, the OG HOT BOATs) are really happy with the new section you did for us. Feel free to put a wacker or two in there but don't get carried away with it, K :)
As far as your column goes. I donno, I read it on when I'm on the shitter. lol
But you did own those guys that day. haha, I knew (as I was pinching a big 'ol loaf) that it was gonna be pop corn and drama time right here on the forums.
Just keep in mind that imitation is a form of flattery.

unleashed
05-21-2004, 08:19 PM
Since AHBA is not doing the fall or spring heatwave can ***boat PLEASE takeover this event. The poker runs were the best Havasu had to offer period. How about it Kevin I know your pockets are deep enough and since you have no competition now I think the event would be huge and the exposure tremendous!
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :devil:

PHX ATC
05-21-2004, 08:57 PM
A couple of tidbits for the would-be journalism geniuses
Thank you. For my first attempt at an amateur journalistic proofreading, I offer up this sentence:
Secondly, anyone who believes that the AHBA was completely innocent in choosing a similar name to ours is way beyond naieve.
Naive is the proper spelling. If you please.
[However, one thing is indisputable: we've worked hard to establish our name. When an upstart that has NOT paid its dues comes along and capitalizes, it pisses me off.
Welcome to the business world. Hello.
Just so you know, I'm not going to participate in an endless exchange of posts -- we're actually wrapping up a deadline right now, and I just don't have time.
Oh goody, I can actually have the last word on something!

locogringo
05-21-2004, 10:15 PM
LOL. Phx ATC...you're funny.
Kevin, I appreciate the effort you put forth in your refutation. I understand you are a busy man overseeing a magazine and all.
I'm not going to beat a dead boat over the head but I still disagree (for the most part) with the manner in which the editorial was envisioned, written and then revealed.
As a previous poster noted, I am also looking forward to further developments into the marina and its actions.
By the way, I read all the words in all the magazines I get.
Happy boating.
Daniel

C-2
05-21-2004, 11:05 PM
Just so you know, I'm not going to participate in an endless exchange of posts -- we're actually wrapping up a deadline right now, and I just don't have time. But if anyone would like to debate this further, feel free to e-mail me at kevin@***boat.net
Kevin Spaise
Hot Boat
Yeah, sure buddy.
More to follow. :yuk:

jdnichols
05-22-2004, 01:53 AM
Well, this has been interesting to say the least! Kevin has stirred up quite a hornet nest with his opinion column and we at AHBA have received many, many calls and emails asking our opinion. As Kevin and many of you know, this has been going on for six years now and grown into a large festering boil. For us, it’s been a wild ride, beyond all expectation, and now, cause for sitting back and taking a rest. But first, how about a little historical perspective?
It’s the fall of 1997 and I’ve just taken delivery of the ultimate hot boat that I could have ever wished for. A 27 ft. World Class Ultimate Warlock with a super charged 454 Mag! My wife and children had helped design our ride and it was with great excitement we met in Havasu for our first weekend with our newest member of the family. I had spent a week of vacation at the Warlock factory helping to finish the boat and then delivered her for a day of Hot Boat Magazine’s fall evaluations. It was a dream come true for me, as I had been a subscriber to Hot Boat Mag. for many years. I was treated fairly well during the test and actually welcomed by Jim Wilkes and Bob Endress. They did the performance part of the test and took me aside for some welcome comments and suggestions.
Of course I was pretty stoked and wanted to tell my story to anyone who would listen. I had documented the experience and due to my work in computers, was learning html code and web site building. This all came together with some other stories I and other friends wrote, to become the Southern Arizona Hot Boat Association website. A good buddy, Mike Ciraolo, was the web master of “Real Jet Boats” website and we went back and forth a lot about props and jets. My website really seem to take off, and the message board was an exciting place to be. When I started the site, we had about a dozen close boating families who loved to boat together and we did many manufactures regattas and the old “All Boat Regattas” put on by Rick Siverlake of the Rolling Thunder Production Co. The events seemed to get old fairly quickly, lacking some excitement, organization and amenities.
As our boating community increased due to the web site popularity, six of us got together and decided to try and bring our new friends into a boating association with an idea of putting on our own events. Putting our ideas of what would make an event better in to play. We all felt we had some hot boats and liked the magazine so the name was shortened to Arizona Hot Boat Association. We thought the magazine might even be flattered a little, but capitalizing on their name? Wasn’t even a thought, we were just some good old boys having a good time.
We got busy; each put up some money and got our organization, dues, T-shirt and decal design put together. Got some good advise as to liability and filing as a non-profit organization, made up our event plan and looked around for the best way to get the word out. The website was a good start, but too many boaters did not use the internet, so we made up lots of flyers about the event and started passing them out. The Phoenix boat show came up in January and we were given a booth in a far corner of the show and we had a ball acting like we were somebody! Kelly Cook signed up as our first dues paying member and we were off and running.
During the boat show, we found out that Chris Davidson, the editor of Hot Boat Magazine was at the show with his Elvis Prestley mobile museum. We were excited; maybe he would come by and tell us we had a great idea. Little did we know, he had already seen our booth and was not happy about it. We were using the great name in vain it seems. Later, after we heard about it, we consulted some trademark folks and made sure we didn’t use the same type set, capitalization, or font. We felt the words hot boat were generic and didn’t want to cause trouble, but were still confused as to why it was a problem. We had seen other clubs covered in the magazine, what was the big deal?
Our first event that April of 99, exceeded all our expectations, 92 boats came out and signed up, many as members as well. The participants filled out our comment cards and emails with thanks and congratulations. All our hard work, spending weekends at boat ramps passing out flyers, swimming from boat to boat back in the coves and talking up the event, paid off. We had found sponsors willing to talk to us and then willing to take a chance on us. And they were very pleased as well. And we had so much fun, we decided to do it again in the fall, thus the Heat Wave Poker Runs were born!
So, as the years passed and the events grew and became larger and more work, the rewards grew as well. A record of 210 boats attended our Spring 2002 event. The amount of time and effort took up more of our spare time and taking care of the membership and sponsors became almost full time jobs. We had changes in the organization as goals and interests diverged. We reorganized as a “for profit” LLC with ideas of continued growth and expansion. Added the name American Hot Boat Association when we organized another state chapter, the New Mexico Hot Boat Association and held a third poker run in 2002, the Elephant Butte Poker Run in New Mexico, with our new chapter. Toward the end of 2002, Chris Johnson and his Southern California Hot Boat Club had joined our group; chapters in Colorado and Nevada were poised to start up. And though they decided not to join us, the Las Vegas Hot Boat Club was going strong and staging there own gatherings. Each group had their own websites, and even Hot Boat Magazines site was growing in popularity, thanks to the super person of Erik Anderson, their Webmaster at the time. We have posted information about our boating events across the Internet, on each site that is related, especially OffshoreOnly.com. These sites provide a public service and many events are posted, not just non-profit either.
I would say that by now, the name thing had become a mute point. As there were many “hot boat” clubs. Chris Davidson and I had a dialog about our club and their concerns, mainly that we were pulling in sponsorship money from the same people that advertised in their magazine. And if it wasn’t for us, that that money could and should have gone to them for increased advertising. I did assure Chris that we were not in the magazine business and couldn’t for see ever being in it, little did I know!
In the fall of 2002, one of our long time sponsors, Curtis Wood of Billet Marine introduced us to Mike Murphy, the owner of a new boating magazine, Extreme Boats Magazine. Mike came to our fall run and was very excited about the possibilities of covering our events and getting content for his magazine. Mike was introduced to us as one who had made a killing in the wireless phone business and had recently sold out. He needed to invest in his next business and decided on a magazine as he had grown up in the family publishing business. We had been approached by some of our sponsors with the idea of funding our expansion into a boating publication of some sort. And due to my partners having been laid off by their employers in the fall, ideas started flying around as to a merger. And so it came to pass.
A new publishing company was formed and some great people jumped on board to put it together. Again, ideas we had about improvements in covering the boating community could be put out for trial. Even our wives jumped in with a women’s section where they could address the better half’s concerns about family boating. Was what we had perfect? Hell no, but it was a lot of fun! We had lots of member photo’s and articles done from the owner’s perspective, not a manufactures multi-page advertisement. One of my major beefs about my boats review back in January 1998 was, I as the owner / planner of the colors, graphics and interior of the boat, was not interview or even mentioned in the article. And of course I couldn’t be in any of the pictures. I see this has been changing somewhat in Hot Boat Magazine; did we have a little to do with it? Maybe so.
Extreme Boat Magazine is now in more capable hands and we have decided to retire from the fun and stress of doing the major poker runs we developed at Lake Havasu. Along with the magazine, we produced five runs last year in Arizona, Nevada, and Texas. It took a large toll and we have decided it’s time for our families now. The Nautical Inn, Teague Custom Marine, Nationwide Homes and Club Nautical had decided to continue our style Poker Runs, but I understand Performance Productions (ie Chris and Darrin Davidson) have already filed with the Coast Guard for our original October 2,3 dates. So at this time things are a bit up in the air. As far as our having cried wolf about the Coast Guard plans, the original directives mailed to us were very restrictive and that’s what caused the concern and call for everyone’s involvement, thankfully Mr. Samp is a great listener and boater.
One last thought, as far as our business benefiting from the coat tails of Hot Boat Magazine’s name, if we had relied upon those “very” short coat tails, we probably would have ended up with 30 to 60 boat events like their last three events at Lake Havasu. We know whom we have to thank for our success, the boaters, volunteers and sponsors who enjoyed our events so much they spread the word. To these great people, god bless and enjoy many years of boating!
Jim Nichols
AHBA

superdave013
05-22-2004, 05:52 AM
Jim, that ws a great response.
Hey, does anyone remember when ***boat did a few pages on a boat club in Michigan?? I think it was before this web site even existed. Wanna know the name of the said club??
Ah yes, it's the Michigan Hot Boat Assaciation of course. As far as I know they are still active and doing well.

N2Lake
05-22-2004, 06:24 AM
So is Hot Boat a trademarked moniker or not. If it is a trademark does it apply only to the magazine or everything. Can I still call my boat a Hot Boat, or is Larry Flynt with his considerable resources going to sue me for the use of his magazines name? On that subject is the editor of Hustler magazine pissed about a certain boat company calling their boats Hustler? I don't think so.
Sounds to me like someones advertising money got split with another organization, now we now the root of all evil, the almighty advertising dollar.
I like what my buddy on another site posted, and I quote.
A true journalist can always find a way to sprinkle some salt on an organization without actually seeming to be so blatantly obvious about it
Sounds to me like some communication right up front at he Phoenix boat show would have gone a long ways, instead of letting this deal fester for years.

Shark In The Pond
05-22-2004, 06:35 AM
Hmmmm I did not know this shit was still going on ? Tim since you don't use the boat I don't think you have to worry about it ? :D

N2Lake
05-22-2004, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by Shark In The Pond
Hmmmm I did not know this shit was still going on ? Tim since you don't use the boat I don't think you have to worry about it ? :D
Yeah no shit huh! I was thinking about getting it out today for a day trip Sunday. I need to get wet.

dkreuzen
05-22-2004, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by jdnichols
One last thought, as far as our business benefiting from the coat tails of Hot Boat Magazine’s name, if we had relied upon those “very” short coat tails, we probably would have ended up with 30 to 60 boat events like their last three events at Lake Havasu. We know whom we have to thank for our success, the boaters, volunteers and sponsors who enjoyed our events so much they spread the word. To these great people, god bless and enjoy many years of boating!
Jim Nichols
AHBA
You got that right Jim!
In my OPINION, if Hot Boat Magazine had become a sponsor in the beginning rather than to cop an attitude, they could have been riding on the "very" LONG coat tails of AHBA!
Dennis

haulina29
05-22-2004, 07:02 AM
I wonder if Chuck and Dottie bought the Hot Boat name from Nordskog when they started the current Hot boat magazine in the 80s ? The original magazine was bought and shut down by Nordskog when he started Powerboat . I find it interesting that a term like hot boat can be owned by a person or persons . To this day Boyd Coddington owns The Hot Rods by ................ name I have seen a couple people try and use and have been shut down, anyways just an observation .

Donnie
05-22-2004, 07:51 AM
I sure glad I didn't renew my subsciption to Hot Boat....and never will:D
Kevin your a ****ing idiot:mad: Neither you or your shit magazine created the Hot Boat community, instead of bashing AHBA you should be kissing there ass.....Oh yea I forgot your the GOD of hot boating:rolleyes: if is wasn't for you we would all be in jon boats:yuk:

Debbolas
05-22-2004, 08:57 AM
OK,
I think I can solve this whole problem...............
Kevin has a right to his opinion, we all do, it is why we post here at Hot Boat Forum. That does not mean you won't be attacked for it. (Try posting that Jeff Gordon is the best Nascar Racer!)
AHBA should obtain and maintain their own fourm for their readers to post on. People who choose their magazine over Hot Boat can post there.
Ta Dah!
Problem solved!!
(Thank you, thank you very much)
P.S. lighten up guys, go ride in your boats and enjoy life!
:D :D :D

DogHouse
05-22-2004, 09:18 AM
Donnie, LOL, knew I could count on you to sum it up perfectly! :D
Debbolas, the AHBA has had a web sight for a long time, possibly even before the "official" hot boat sight was up (could be wrong on that). It started as a local club here in AZ and that's how a lot of us "met" up and planned trips together, as Jim said since about 97 or so.
Jim, great post, as always.

Debbolas
05-22-2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by DogHouse
Debbolas, the AHBA has had a web sight for a long time, possibly even before the "official" hot boat sight was up (could be wrong on that). It started as a local club here in AZ and that's how a lot of us "met" up and planned trips together, as Jim said since about 97 or so.
Oh, then maybe I can't solve this problem....................:(
(But I think they should STILL all go for a ride in their boats to cool off, life is too short, dude!);)

haulina29
05-22-2004, 09:25 AM
Debbolas A for effort:D :D

Debbolas
05-22-2004, 09:26 AM
:D

C-2
05-22-2004, 03:49 PM
Then there was the Coast Guard e-mail...which was, in my opinion, the single worst bit of PR for an industry that I've seen disseminated in my 20 years on the job. It was incorrect, irresponsible, from the hip, and out of line. Then to later blame that very entity for the shut down of their event...well, this just goes on and on.
Kevin Spaise
Hot Boat
My opinion....
What planet is this guy from? We blamed the CG for shutting down our events? Take off the 80’s sunglasses so you can read a little better. The sad part is your opinion is strikingly similar with statements written to mislead readers.
Funny you mention the CG because I spoke with Chief Samp just the other day. He viewed the post by Art and told me to relay his thanks to Art for the post – that it hit the nail right on the head. I also asked Chief Samp about your contact with him (or should I say lack thereof). He said you called and asked for his name, title and rank, but nothing else was discussed. So it seems that only YOU have a problem with the email that was distributed; certainly Chief Samp does not.
Get a boat, get on the water, GET-OVER-YOURSELF- and get a life.

Kwicherbichen
05-23-2004, 12:43 AM
I must have been too busy looking at my boat and Kendra in this month's issue and didn't pay any attention to the observers seat section. :confused:
Normally I read Hot Boat right after I'm all done with the articles in Playboy :rolleyes:

locogringo
05-23-2004, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Kwicherbichen
I must have been too busy looking at my boat and Kendra in this month's issue and didn't pay any attention to the observers seat section. :confused:
Normally I read Hot Boat right after I'm all done with the articles in Playboy :rolleyes:
D'oh!
:D :D :D :D

Laveyman
05-24-2004, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by Debbolas
THATS the femle cuticle article he was talking about....got it!
So, can I post here if I don't have testicular circumfrence ?
;)
Hell yes, cuz you have "Mammicular" circumfrence! :D

Debbolas
05-24-2004, 07:28 AM
LOL:D

Tremor Therapy
05-24-2004, 07:46 AM
A couple of tidbits for the would-be journalism geniuses in the house, who astutely observed that my column in the last issue was based on OPINION...
Mr. Spaise,
I understand what an editorial section is, I even know where that section is in the newspaper, and I also understand that it may only offer up the writter's opinion. But like my friend LSR noted,
A true journalist can always find a way to sprinkle some salt on an organization without actually seeming to be so blatantly obvious about it.
If you want to travel the journalistic high road, then your talents would be better served by creating some type of satirical spin on the issue instead of trying to drag that particular organization through the mud. I am not affiliated with the other organization, but I have heard many positive things from the people who have attended their events. If ***boat wants to portray themselves as THE magazine for boating enthusiasts, then take the time to learn what it is that these people did so successfully, and make it even better.
As others have stated, I too would like to thank you for taking the time to respond. Not many editors would take the time to respond to the criticism of their readers. But I write this wondering what the next step is for ***boat. Another column created to clarify what ***boating is and who owns the name? Or the realization that to the victor goes the spoils.....so lets see if ***boat is ready to use their testicular circumference to grab the reigns and create even better Poker Runs than AHBA!

boatless
05-24-2004, 08:22 AM
“Sounding the Alarm”
I found plenty of humor in the childish pot shots you have taken at our rise in the boating community. I guess I am missing some sort of history here, I don’t think we have even met or if we did, it wasn’t memorable. As for coattails. A name doesn’t make a business, great people do. And for the Marina article, why don’t you tell the reading public the real reason you got involved, after all AHBA & SCOPE have been boycotting the LH Marina for two years. Was it because they wouldn’t let you launch at the performance trails?
Portions of the story you either neglected to research or have forgotten to tell the general public. Chief Samp is an outstanding guy and I give him all the credit. However, this process started six months prior when applying for permits. Yes, there were plenty of concerns about ours and everyother poker run and regatta held at Lake Havasu. We (AHBA & USCG) all wanted the same thing, however arriving to the safe and organized event people saw during our HeatWave poker run was a challenge.
During the permitting process the USCG solicits responses for all federal, state and public entities on whether or not to hold each event. Responses range in our case from very safety oriented the event should be to how beneficial the event is to the community. Three concerns came to the forefront of the responses. First, safe rotation on the lake. Second, noise of 150+ boats on the lake and third the safety of the group starts. Chief Samp and I worked feverishly with all ideas and agencies to find a solution to the three concerns. Suggestions by the USCG at the time of my email to the boating industry:
1. Close down the lake from Thompson Bay to the Parker Dam. Thusly, only the boats in the event would be permitted to be on the water. This proposed problems with all the marinas and other boaters including our spectator fleet, not to mention the manpower it would take from all the state and federal agencies to police such an endeavor.
2. The next suggestion was the lake would be too busy to run an event like this on the weekend, therefore we were requested to hold the event on thursday or friday. Obviously, missing the point of a weekend boating.
Now these suggestions were obviously to get my attention and work with the Coast Guard, however these suggestions are all within the power of the USCG to enforce i.e. therefore altering our event dramatically.
The April 13th meeting was scheduled only with a two week notice to coincide with the performance trials at Lake Havasu. My concern was that the industry would not be well represented with the fifteen or so companies and agencies that were invited by the USCG to attend the first of many meetings. As organizers and promoters of events it’s our job to promote safe boating and do what we can to protect the public, our events and waterways from undue harm and legislation. And as you stated in his article “In sharp contrast to the traditional, bureaucratic method of policy making”, I like everyone else would have just figured they would make a law/policy and shove it down our throats. In my opinion a “sounding the alarm” was warranted. If we don’t stand together to work out differences, show up and get involved, then I guess we will never know what would have happened without someone sounding the alarm.
For your juvenile behavior in your article: I would say cancel my subscription to ***boat, but I wouldn’t. I think it’s a good magazine – not great like Powerboat, but showing improvement since we started EBM.
p.s. we don’t own the magazine anymore and haven’t for a year. And yes, I wrote the email!
Mike Campbell
Treasurer
American Hot Boat Association
The email:
I will admit I was HOT after Chief Samp and I talk and the two ideas above were suggested. But I don't think the email was all that bad - I am sure you guys will let me know. Sorry for the slow replys, however I am on active duty for the military.
Dear Boating Manufacturer and Supplier;
I think we all need to be aware of this upcoming meeting, being held by the U.S. Coast Guard at the Nautical Inn in Lake Havasu City April 13th, 2004. The idea of this meeting is to develop a protocol to possibly limit or shut down parts of Lake Havasu during marine events (i.e. poker runs and regattas). There is also the possibility of limiting the number of events during summer months and/or moving these events to a weekday! Not only will these ideas deter tourism to Lake Havasu, but possibly promote an economic slump in our boating industry. We "the boating community" have had an excellent safety record for all our poker runs and regattas, do we need to stand by and let others regulate our industry? Please take the time to show up and be heard!
Michael Campbell
Arizona Hot Boat Assoc.
nmcb0617cc@hotmail.com

C-2
05-24-2004, 08:34 AM
You forgot to mention the original letter from the Coast Guard was also attached to the email.
:)

N2Lake
05-24-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Tremor Therapy
so lets see if ***boat is ready to use their testicular circumference to grab the reigns and create even better Poker Runs than AHBA!
Now their is an idea, drop the attitude and grab the reins.

RiverToysJas
05-25-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by boatless
“Sounding the Alarm".....
Dear Boating Manufacturer and Supplier;
I think we all need to be aware of this upcoming meeting, being held by the U.S. Coast Guard at the Nautical Inn in Lake Havasu City April 13th, 2004. The idea of this meeting is to develop a protocol to possibly limit or shut down parts of Lake Havasu during marine events (i.e. poker runs and regattas). There is also the possibility of limiting the number of events during summer months and/or moving these events to a weekday! Not only will these ideas deter tourism to Lake Havasu, but possibly promote an economic slump in our boating industry. We "the boating community" have had an excellent safety record for all our poker runs and regattas, do we need to stand by and let others regulate our industry? Please take the time to show up and be heard!
Michael Campbell
Arizona Hot Boat Assoc.
nmcb0617cc@hotmail.com
So that's what the big sounding of the alarm was about??? Now it's crystal clear to me who is over reacting in their "opinion".

Havasu_Dreamin
05-25-2004, 11:31 AM
I'm with RTJas. That e-mail is in no way a "sounding of the alarm" as it was alluded to in the Observers Seat. While I enjoy reading that column each month, and yes I too know what an editorial piece is, it was juvenile at best.

Havasu_Dreamin
05-25-2004, 11:32 AM
So, how long until HB pulls this thread down?

PHX ATC
05-25-2004, 12:01 PM
I guess the RiverRacerX event is more offensive to ***boat as they pulled that thread down, but not this one!
Whatup wid dat?:D

carreraelite
05-25-2004, 12:20 PM
http://riverracerx.com/images/mb2/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif:(

carreraelite
05-25-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by PHX ATC
I guess the RiverRacerX event is more offensive to ***boat as they pulled that thread down, but not this one!
Whatup wid dat?:D
:confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

Tremor Therapy
05-25-2004, 03:42 PM
Dave,
I see your point as to why they deleted AHBA and RRX, but if you are going to travel the lofty high road and delete some of the "other" boating sites regatta's, and by the way, the RRX group is just one big party for all types of boats, albeit a much more mellow party than OP6, then why not just delete them all?
Kinda makes you think they are picking and choosing who can play and who can't?

RiverToysJas
05-25-2004, 03:47 PM
Just a guess, but OP6 is not in competition for profit or sponsorship. I'm guessing that's why they are letting it slide. It's a Party, Not A Club. ;)
I did willingly remove the OP6 banner from my signature though. The next OP6 most likely won't be spammed here at all. ;)

Tremor Therapy
05-25-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by RiverToysJas
Just a guess, but OP6 is not in competition for profit or sponsorship. I'm guessing that's why they are letting it slide. It's a Party, Not A Club. ;)
I did willingly remove the OP6 banner from my signature though. The next OP6 most likely won't be spammed here at all. ;)
Jason,
I can't attend this year, so am I going to have to frequent OP6.com to get the updates?

Little Wood Boat
05-25-2004, 04:10 PM
h20edits, you come off like a punk. Why didn't you address this issue back in August 2002, when YOU had such a bitchin' review with multiple pages in color of their Poker Run. Your post on page 1 clearly states your priorities. So much for promoting ***boating...it's just about YOU.

N2Lake
05-25-2004, 04:31 PM
You know Little Wood Boat I forgot about the coverage HB gave AHBA in that issue., what a change of heart.
So the question I have is why did the AHBA fold up and quit? Did Hot Boat have anything to do with that?

roostwear
05-25-2004, 04:59 PM
I deal with trademark a little, and there's a great resource available to anyone. Without getting into a Hot Boat / AHBA pissing match, there are a few interesting FACTS about the trademark "Hot Boat".
This first link is to the first trademark of "Hot Boat"
United Western Enterprises (http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=h0sv7t.2.7)
Note the filing date (7-1-1963), and the detail shows the transfers. (http://assignments.uspto.gov/assignments/q?db=tm&rno=0793658)
Next is the
filing by LFP (http://assignments.uspto.gov/assignments/q?db=tm&rno=0793658)
Note the "first used date" (1-1-1983), and the filing date (6-26-1989). BTW, it is not unusual to file 6 years after first use. What is interesting is, the trademark under United Western didn't expire until 11-3-1985.
If there was something more to these transactions, I have no way of knowing.
Did you know "Arizona Hot Boat Association" is registered also. AHBA (http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=h0sv7t.2.5)
Even the AHBA "Heat Wave" (http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=h0sv7t.2.4) was registered, but was "Abandoned: Applicant's express request."
Hmmm......

wildbillg
05-25-2004, 05:54 PM
FU!!
KISS MY AZZ!!!
MY God dont you have any thing better to do then CRY OUT LOUD?
I can't ever think that there is ONE word in the english language that a "person" or a "Business" can OWN?
Christ get a clue and quit your GO* *AMM Cry BaBy CRAP!
Stand up like a MAN and say HOW it IS!!!
They started a GREAT club and MANY MANY members joined them and STILL want to be a part of FELLOW boaters and FRIENDS.
You seem to think YOU are the gift to the BOATING world, GET A CLUE.
If you did not have a PRONO man BACKING you, you would have NOTHING!
My god can you NOT give credit where credit is due? Are you that shallow minded?
This is a world of COMPETITION, can you NOT stand to have some one out there that is BETTER or EQUAL to you with less money? I can say one thing I WILL NOT SPEND MY MONEY to have your magizine in my home again.
This IS MY opinion, and I am entitled to it.
If you dont like it are you going to BAN me from playing on your play ground?
I can NOT understand HOW YOU can come out and post your comment and then hide behind LARRY FLINTS lawers.
GET a clue and GROW UP! ! ! !
If you dont like the heat get out of the "HOT BOAT"
SHUT THE F UP................................

PHX ATC
05-25-2004, 06:00 PM
You go Wildbillg!
Love it!

N2Lake
05-25-2004, 06:28 PM
Here here Wild BillG, very well put.

DetroitJim
05-25-2004, 06:55 PM
So, I guess this means we have to disband the Michigan Hot Boat Association which is a damn shame since the name has been around for about 25-30 years. I'm really going to miss my friends.
DJ

haulina29
05-25-2004, 07:23 PM
Roostwear i am interested in your post what I stated in this thread was close to what you have here LFP did not own HB in 1983 Chuck Pierce did Larry got it in 89 - 90 ? I remeber when Nordskog picked it up but wasnt sure if Chuck owned the name or if Nordskog .

roostwear
05-25-2004, 07:51 PM
Seems that someone forgot another "Hot Boat".
From the California corporate records:
Corporation
NATIONAL HOT BOAT ASSOCIATION, INC.
Number: C1173611 Date Filed: 4/15/1983 Status: suspended
Jurisdiction: California
So it looks to me that the term "Hot Boat" was used by NHBA while United Westerm or it's assignee(s) still had a valid trademark.

haulina29
05-25-2004, 07:56 PM
Very interesting good job

PHX ATC
05-25-2004, 08:55 PM
To quote a decent AC/DC song, "who made who?":D

playdeep
05-25-2004, 09:11 PM
Maybe,just maybe...
The article in question was deemed necessary due to the fact that for the last two years...the ***boat poker run somehow managed to get scheduled the week prior to the AHBA Heatwave poker run.(can you sat coattail?).
Despite the fortuitous scheduling,the ***boat poker run s only managed to draw between 30-60 boats.
The AHBA managed 150-200.
Mr. Spaise (covering his friend's asses) neglected to mention the fact that in more than one instance,participants in the Hot Boat poker runs never got to all of the card stops...
...due to the fact that some of the card stations(people standing on the beach) actually packed up and left during the poker runs...organization not exactly they're forte.
If this had been the AHBA,you can bet that Mr.Spaise would have been all over this deal...
This whole vendetta by Kevin Spaise is really about politics.
Or basically his good friends(full time professionals) attempts to play poker run guru's,got they're butt's kicked by a bunch of good ol' boy weekend warrior's.
Even if Hot Boat does attempt to fill the void left by the AHBA...When it comes to putting on an event equal in magnatude to the AHBA HeatWaves,these guys are clueless:confused:

locogringo
05-25-2004, 10:36 PM
For your juvenile behavior in your article: I would say cancel my subscription to ***boat, but I wouldn’t. I think it’s a good magazine – not great like Powerboat, but showing improvement since we started EBM.
That's what I thought!
RD, your knowledge and wisdom preceed you but the word "Poker Run Regatta" can be vocalized several different ways.
1. A straight out race (most Poker Run Regattas)
2. A gathering of multitudes of boats (see all four)
3. A culmination of people, boats and hors d'oeuvres for the prime objective of relaxing and having fun (see all four again, but particularly RRX)
4. A debauchery of naked girls frolicking with each other to the beat of the drum and the sway of the rhythm (only one I know of, can I come?)
Just because it has Poker Run attached to the word Regatta doesn't mean it is as such. I thought it was called the River Racer X Regatta anyway.
Justifiably so, it is wrong for ***boat to banish one thread and not the others.

unleashed
05-25-2004, 10:56 PM
I agree about the ***boat Poker run. It was the worst Poker run I've ever been to(Went to both the fall and spring). I think it would be wise to plan a little better and maybe get the word out. AHBA by far had the best event in the West and now I can see why it was discontinued cause they definitly kicked ***boats ass in event prepardness and planning. This is really sad because the fall and spring Heatwave brought alot of excitement and enjoyment to alot of people I know(Including myself). Why couldnt ***boat just swallow there pride and approach AHBA and possibly combine the two and share the benefits. Now you're going to have a possible kickass event that may never happen again or at least happen in the way we've become accustomed to. ***boat your event sucked *ss hopefully you will learn how to run a succesful and meaninful poker run this time around. I know I'll give your event another shot but I hope more thought goes into the event and more participants show up. Besides you can now follow the coattails of AHBA and steal all there participants!
Deano

Salty Cracker
05-25-2004, 11:13 PM
Deano...You coming to the RRX Regatta?? You should, I gurantee it kicks ASS all over Hot Boats Poker Runs.
Plus we all like to see the big dogs run (even if it is from behind).
Maybe you can beat Gibson to the first card stop!! :D

unleashed
05-25-2004, 11:38 PM
Hey Salty, I've been to the RRX, and you're right it definitly is a fun run especially for the families. Im not sure if Im going to make it yet. I have to check my calender as I think the wife has something planed. I'll keep ya posted. Chris from RRX is a really cool person and I support his event every year. I hope its another great success. Are you headed out for Memorial??
Deano